Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Re: The Riddler

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Re: The Riddler Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Re: The Riddler - 25/7/2009 9:16:51 AM   
batfunk

I remember reading some Neal Adams Batman comics from the seventies and The Riddler came across as nothing like any of the actors previously mentioned to play him. He was middle-aged, serious and incredibly clever. These tales were true cat and mouse detective stories. Hopefully, if Nolan ever uses this character, he'll not use any of the mainstream actors that a lazy casting agent would suggest.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
RE: Re: The Riddler - 25/7/2009 11:24:58 AM   
Mr Terrific

I don't know why everybody wants The Riddler...he has already been done. Heck, I think they should focus on Batman and not the villain in the next film.

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to batfunk)
Post #: 32
RE: Re: The Riddler - 25/7/2009 11:40:20 AM   
Tech_Noir

Personally, the only Batman villain that interested me was the Joker. I'd be quite disappointed with the Riddler.

I still can't get Jim Carrey's shouting and weird faces (aka his whole performance) out of my head.

(in reply to Mr Terrific)
Post #: 33
riddler - 25/7/2009 11:42:33 AM   
Director

Lets get him being all like a stalker. Jim carrey played some joker knock off. I think we need a middle aged kinda stalker. A real nut job.

Post #: 34
RE: HMMM? - 25/7/2009 12:09:03 PM   
Wilbert

I think Ledger was amazing as The Joker but I don' think his death should mean no more Joker. Someone else could do it. I have absolutely no idea who but it could be done.

NO JOHNNY DEPP!!!!

He's good but I don't think he can be as unrestrained as he would need to be to play a Batman villain.

I would like it if Two-Face wasn't dead. TDK ends minutes after he fell to the ground so maybe the third movie could start with him being rushed to the hospital and being revived in the ambulance. The character was just getting started and it would be a shame to waste him.

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 35
??? - 25/7/2009 4:38:07 PM   
nybras

nah, I don't want the riddler either, kind of boring and it's going to be hard for Nolan to think of let alone write something for the next villain. Because The Joker will be hard to beat and everyones expectations will be high.

Post #: 36
RE: ??? - 25/7/2009 4:59:10 PM   
hatebox

I don't think the next villain will matter too much as I've a feeling that if Nolan's back he'll want to focus on Batman again. TDK was about Batman, Gordon and Dent. Despite what some believe, it wasn't the Joker's story. It was about how the aformentioned 3 reacted to him. The next film caould (and I think should) be about Batman in a world that now actively hates him. And one would expect that it would finish with them finally accepting him. We'll see.

(in reply to nybras)
Post #: 37
Riddler - 25/7/2009 5:25:39 PM   
michaelvaisey

Everyone keeps saying Depp for the Riddler, I think Jude Law could pull it off, he was kinda creepy in Road to Perdition.

Post #: 38
Batman 3 should focus on Batman and introduce Croc - 25/7/2009 6:07:24 PM   
Freddy10

I would love to see Croc as the villian cause he is really scary and it would add to the darkness of Batman. I am not sure how they would do it but if they take there time we could see Batman fighting against the public, himself and Croc. I DO NOT WANT PENGUIN OR RIDDLER AND NO JUDE LAW OR DEPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I trust Nolan he is one of the most exciting and dark directors and always directs like a fan, he is a great man for He-Man, For the A Team, he does not let Hollywood destroy his work.
Croc would be really scary if done well it could be the surprise we all need!!! I think the joker should play some part in the next one just to keep us happy and the Irish actor Danial Day Lewis is perfect and I think he would be very honest to Heath.
That's my opinion please visit
www.myspace.com/bulletsmith1 and leave your comments thanks

Post #: 39
Focus - 25/7/2009 6:31:24 PM   
Director

It'll be about Gordon and Batman and how he is forced to fight his friend. Gordon is after the inocent Batman so that people can keep their faith in dent. So a good villain would be someone who could push batman. I say catwoman to add depth and a good mirror. Maybe riddler but not depp he won't do it either he's too busy i say Patrick Wilson he was well creepy in Hard Candy

Post #: 40
RE: Focus - 25/7/2009 7:01:35 PM   
UTB

A modern Riddler would be a less violent Saw movie...

(in reply to Director)
Post #: 41
RE: Focus - 25/7/2009 7:19:34 PM   
Winchester Bunny

Or you could use batman as the 'villian' and introduce another 'hero' Play it from a completely different angle

I don't want to see the riddler either. To be honest I hadn't heard of either of the villians in batman begins and it didn't diminish it for me, so maybe the lesser known villians would be worth exploring.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 42
Scare Crow - 25/7/2009 11:30:09 PM   
Battan9000

I want a proper Scare Crow Movie. Cillian is ace and they could make it really creepy and dark. Lots of untapped into material there. All so Scare Face or even Bane might be good. Also what about Robin but done well? Now there is a challenge

Post #: 43
Tom Hardy - 26/7/2009 12:02:03 AM   
JOSEPH300

what about Tom Hardy the englishman to play a villan?
he's good at psychopaths as we saw in 'bronson'????, anyone??

Post #: 44
- 26/7/2009 12:03:34 AM   
JOSEPH300

or christopher eccleston,antother englis actor i know.but he's got sharp ,psychopathic features that could come to good use in batman 3.fantastic actor too, very intense

Post #: 45
Riddler - 26/7/2009 1:37:39 AM   
baz1701

I think Guy Pearce would make a great Riddler. Nolan has worked with him on Memento, and if Gordon is chasing down Batman with whoever the Riddler's alter ego investigating Bruce Wayne, that would make a very, very interesting drama.

Post #: 46
Best Riddler Casting - 26/7/2009 5:26:08 AM   
Calsterman

Needless to say I want to see the Riddler in this one and would like to see Casey Affleck play it, he has a lot of depth in his performances from the crack P.I in Gone Baby Gone to the Obsessed Robert Ford in the Assassination of Jesse James. Casey's got the goods for the part if you ask me. But ultimately, if Nolan comes back I would trust him completely!

Post #: 47
Batman 3 - 26/7/2009 11:18:03 AM   
SteC

I like the idea of having a good guy baddie type situation. How about a new vigilante turns up in Gotham, as Batman has had to lay low for a bit, called the Robin. Batman likes what Robin stands for and so Batman takes him under his wing (pardon the pun) but Robin goes too far when stopping a baddie (probably scare crow) and Batman has to now try and stop Robin who’s own ideals have now been turned upside down because of what has happened. Just a thought.

Post #: 48
- 26/7/2009 1:38:56 PM   
Spion

The Riddler would be a step back after "The Dark Knight" & as Batman is now regarded as a enemy of Gotham Maybe the script will be more about Wayne beating his alter ego rather than Batman vs Villan dynamic?
I have a feeling that catwoman will be the main protaganist in this next & most likely final installment.

Post #: 49
The Batman - 26/7/2009 3:34:46 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert
I would like it if Two-Face wasn't dead. TDK ends minutes after he fell to the ground so maybe the third movie could start with him being rushed to the hospital and being revived in the ambulance. The character was just getting started and it would be a shame to waste him.

I'm sure Aaron Eckhart stated in an interview that he asked Christopher Nolan about Harvey Dent's fate. He said that Christopher Nolan told him "he's dead as a door nail". Personally, I would rather the next film move on with different characters. Whilst Two-Face was underused in the last film, his character's arc was sufficiently handled and I don't see a need to use him once more.

There's been some interesting suggestions about making Batman the "villain" (carrying on the "you either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain" mantra) but this may take the focus off Batman as a "hero" fights him. I'm also not keen on the idea that Bruce Wayne some how defeats Batman. I would prefer to see Bruce Wayne being at peace with his role as Batman and solidifying his role as a "watchful protector" and "silent guardian". I think the key is the villain and what theme that villains brings to the film. I would say one is identity. I see the Black Mask and Batman (including their respective alter-egos) as perfect mirrors of one another. Which is why I see the Black Mask (in a possible third film incarnation) as the total and complete villain for Batman. In particular, if Roman Sionis is a business tycoon who can threaten Bruce Wayne directly with aggressive take overs of subsidiary businesses and so forth. By being the Black Mask, Roman Sionis cane gradually begn to consume and conquer Gotham as it were, I feel this would place the city in great peril and necessitate the need for Batman.

I am equally fascinated with how Batman will develope in the third film. Commissioner Gordon will be conflicted but duty bound to chase Batman, despite knowing of his innocence and noble character. He will be faced with mounting pressure to apprehend the Batman. The mayor could play a small role in placing pressure on Commissioner Gordon; the mayor will want to be re-elected and he'll be worried about his reputation etc. A great dynamic which can push beyond what we saw in the second film. If things become desperate enough in the third film where the only option is Batman then Comissioner Gordon will have to come clean about Harvey Dent's transformation into Two-Face. This will mean he will have to resign his position (or be temporarily suspended) and perhaps help Batman, the idea that both of these characters become wanted but end up saving Gotham could be interesting. I would like to see Batman accepted by all in Gotham. Not with a cheesy rose petal throwing ceremony but a dignified scene if possible. He could be given key to city which is a great metaphor to how Batman works. Now given that Christopher Nolan likes to make these films as plausible and grounded as possible, he would have to make a convincing argument as to how Batman would become accepted and 'legitimised' by Gotham's citizens and the authorities. 

A philosophy I very much liked in the first film was that of Henri Ducard/Ra's al Ghul: "A vigilante is a man lost in the scramble for his own gratification, he can be destroyed or locked up. If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal and they can't stop you, you become some thing else entirely....a legend."

As for when the film will likely to be made. We can only trust an official announcement, every thing else (even by principal actors) is supposition and heresay.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 26/7/2009 3:37:29 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 50
RE: The Batman - 26/7/2009 5:09:38 PM   
00Nothing

I know everyone is hoping that Nolan will come back, but I think everyone should calm down, because Nolan directing the film is no guarantee of quality. Look at Spiderman 3 or Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Despite those movies having the key creative forces behind their previous installments, it didn't stop those movies from recieving mixed responses and being middling films. Don't get me wrong, I would love for him to make the movie, but I think we should have realistic expectations and realise that he is one man.

< Message edited by 00Nothing -- 26/7/2009 5:22:58 PM >

"I will see you in another life, when we are both cats."

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 51
Harley Quinn - 26/7/2009 6:04:42 PM   
bonniee

In place of the Joker they could bring her character in as someone who has become obsessed with him and carries on his crimes in his absence?
i still think the idea of Jennifer Connelly as Talia al Ghul could work- and she'd be a marked improvement on the previous female leads.

Post #: 52
RE: Harley Quinn - 26/7/2009 6:25:46 PM   
JIm R

Whether to be taken seriously or not, Oldman's too set in the structure of the dynamics of the films to be bullshitting about something so huge, plus if it is bullshit, Nolan would kick him round the room a few times.

But, honestly, tears of joy at that news

(in reply to bonniee)
Post #: 53
RE: Harley Quinn - 26/7/2009 7:53:13 PM   
BishopQuaker

Points to consider

Nolan said he won't do The Pengiun, Mr Freeze or any other unbelievable characters.

Harley Quinn is a plausable character to bring in but surely you might need someone to play a Joker in the cells.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Joaquin Phoenix could do it.

Riddler - I really don't want him to be some kind of "Jigsaw" knock off. That would be a massive failure.
You kinda want someone Hannibal Lector-esque almost, incredibly clever and playing mind games - although I must admit that Batman Forever is one of my guilty pleasures - but mainly just for Jim Carey (sp)

I still say it's plausable to have Rachel come back as Catwoman but that would take a fair bit of explanation.

Thoughts?

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 54
RE: Harley Quinn - 26/7/2009 10:16:55 PM   
JIm R

Said it before, say it again

Main Villian Black Mask

Joker in Arkham - shot in such a way that identity is never in full exposure

Riddler - secondary villian being controlled by Joker, mob rule battle when Blask Mask begins to dominate, Riddler caught between who to work for

Batman on run - desparate, in the end Gotham need him back, he needs Gotham, truce called to bring down Black Mask, Batman has to consult with Joker whilst Riddler kills Alfred (if this to be final film, need some form of closure)

Batman establishes justice and hangs up being Batman

< Message edited by JIm R -- 26/7/2009 10:17:46 PM >

(in reply to BishopQuaker)
Post #: 55
Riddler? - 26/7/2009 10:23:40 PM   
deenmacheen

In the hands of Nolan, The Riddler could be excellent. Federal agent Edward Nigma brought to Gotham to help the GCPD bring in the Batman. Can't wait to see Batman fighting police officers.

Post #: 56
RE: Harley Quinn - 26/7/2009 10:28:18 PM   
Mr Terrific

I think one villain should do it. I would go for a left-field and little known one as in Batman Begins. Maybe a villain to add continuity to Batman Begins. I am sure The League of Shadows has not finished with Batman or Gotham.

Batman would have to tone down his operations with the increased police attention. Maybe another vigilante would aim to fill that power vacuum but not adverse to using deadly force.

These are two possible directions the next film could take. Not for bringing Dent or The Joker back as their story arcs are effectively finished. Though I am not against a small cameo by the Joker.

quote:

Can't wait to see Batman fighting police officers.

We've seen this in previous two films...he does have scuffle with SWAT at end of TDK.

< Message edited by Mr Terrific -- 26/7/2009 10:30:22 PM >

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 57
Quiet Please! - 27/7/2009 10:17:48 AM   
sinj

The fairly new villain & ex childhood friend Hush would fit quite well in Nolans Bat universe.
Any way who said Ras Al Ghul is dead? Lazarus Pit anyone?

Post #: 58
Quiet Please! - 27/7/2009 10:30:43 AM   
sinj

The fairly new villain & ex childhood friend Hush would fit quite well in Nolans Bat universe.
Any way who said Ras Al Ghul is dead? Lazarus Pit anyone?

Post #: 59
Batman 3 - 27/7/2009 10:42:42 AM   
rsh1978

I may be a little negative here but do you really think that GAry Oldman would say anything before anything has been confirmed officially? Sounds like he was just saying it to take the piss. I hope Im proved wrong but I imagine he was just saying it for a laugh

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Re: The Riddler Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI