Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Borderlands

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Borderlands Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Borderlands - 4/1/2010 10:13:09 AM   
BigKovacs

quote:

ORIGINAL: From_Hell

Yeah, Fallout 3 it is not... Even the whole post-apocalyptic thing is done very differently. I think Mr. Yeti summed it up best when he said something like 'it's not Fallout 3, it's not Halo 3 it's... just Borderlands'

It's a totally different game on the surface from Fallout but there are a fair amount of similarities, the crate searching, the russian guys Bobble Head's, the animal/bandit/mutant/soldier enemy types, the soundtracks very similar, if you took the cel shading away from Borders it would look identical to FO.

I agree that this game deserves to stand on it's own but it does feel like a cartoony shooter mod for FO.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 91
RE: Borderlands - 4/1/2010 10:41:47 AM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigKovacs

quote:

ORIGINAL: From_Hell

Yeah, Fallout 3 it is not... Even the whole post-apocalyptic thing is done very differently. I think Mr. Yeti summed it up best when he said something like 'it's not Fallout 3, it's not Halo 3 it's... just Borderlands'

It's a totally different game on the surface from Fallout but there are a fair amount of similarities, the crate searching, the russian guys Bobble Head's, the animal/bandit/mutant/soldier enemy types, the soundtracks very similar, if you took the cel shading away from Borders it would look identical to FO.

I agree that this game deserves to stand on it's own but it does feel like a cartoony shooter mod for FO.

Whatever it is I've loved it. One of my favourite Xbox 360 games and one of the best co-op games. Got 1000G for it the other day. Though annoyingly the DLC has been added so it doesn't look like I've 100% it.

As I'm low on funds I may be trading this in tomorrow. But if anymore decent DLC comes out in the future when I have more cash flow i'll pick it up again for sure.

On another note has anyone seen any INSANE guns? I mean SERIOUSLY game breaking INSANE. I was playing an online game with my mate the other day. This kid joined our game. We were in new Haven fighting and as we were on level 48-50 it was pretty tough. This kid comes in and is one shot killing EVERYTHING! He shows my mate the gun ... the attack power was somthing like 50,000. So we chatted him for a bit and the kid never really explained how he go them. He was saying somthing like a mate made them or somthing. The only thing I can think of is if this is on PC somone could mod it and if there is PC and 360 cross over play then you could put it onto the 360. When my mate got the gun visually it was glitched. Certain parts were missing but it played fine. I didn't bother as I mentioned previously it's a game killer.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 92
RE: Borderlands - 4/1/2010 5:55:49 PM   
Chojin

Someone gave me a modded gun the other day for shits n giggles

damage = 10,000 x 5
infinite ammo, no reload
burst fire pistol.

you basically fire it at anything you can see on screen and they explode

Edit: and anom, they're done in the same way you game save - you need a HDD and a few programs and cables.

< Message edited by Chojin -- 4/1/2010 5:57:09 PM >

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 93
RE: Borderlands - 4/1/2010 7:56:38 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

Someone gave me a modded gun the other day for shits n giggles

damage = 10,000 x 5
infinite ammo, no reload
burst fire pistol.

you basically fire it at anything you can see on screen and they explode

Sounds the same as my mates except his was an Assault rifle. It's a pointless exercise though. It just ruins the game. The whole looting and upgrading is core to the game.

quote:

Edit: and anom, they're done in the same way you game save - you need a HDD and a few programs and cables.

I have no idea what you mean.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 94
RE: Borderlands - 5/1/2010 12:59:09 PM   
BigKovacs

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly
Whatever it is I've loved it. One of my favourite Xbox 360 games and one of the best co-op games. Got 1000G for it the other day. Though annoyingly the DLC has been added so it doesn't look like I've 100% it.

Oh I wasn't knocking it, I think it's a great game. It's very well tuned for COOP but plays just fine on single player. I started Ned's last night and it's a lot of fun, I just wish there was more customisation for your characters but I won't bitch too much, it's all round a good crack.

Post #: 95
RE: Borderlands - 5/1/2010 3:47:43 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

Oh I wasn't knocking it, I think it's a great game. It's very well tuned for COOP but plays just fine on single player. I started Ned's last night and it's a lot of fun, I just wish there was more customisation for your characters but I won't bitch too much, it's all round a good crack.

Cool no worries. I'll say it again I really enjoyed it. I'll pick the DLC up at a later date but I'm moving on for now.
I traded it in today.

Game offered: £16 exchange
Gamestation offered: £18
CEX offered: £22 so I went with CEX in the end.

EDIT: I agree about the customization. Saints Row 2 has provided me with the most amusement in that department.

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 5/1/2010 3:49:28 PM >

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 96
RE: Borderlands - 5/1/2010 3:53:21 PM   
juanvasquez

Anomaly, have you tried HMV for trade in prices? There's no CEX near me but HMV are always better than Game and Gamestation.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

Post #: 97
RE: Borderlands - 6/1/2010 1:13:52 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

Anomaly, have you tried HMV for trade in prices? There's no CEX near me but HMV are always better than Game and Gamestation.

Cheers for the suggestion mate. I have used them once or twice. Infact I used them to trade in some games to buy Borderlands in the first place.  They are decent. Long story short CEX was the better option this time.

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 98
RE: Borderlands - 6/1/2010 1:19:13 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Is this worth playing on one player?

Post #: 99
RE: Borderlands - 8/1/2010 10:19:29 AM   
BigKovacs

I think so Fluke. it's an awesome crack with other human players (preferably mates) but I really enjoyed exploring and collecting loot on my tod. It depends on what you dig, if you liked other solitary RPG's like Oblivion or Fallout you should be okay.

I stated Moxxies last night, is anyone else finding it a bit tricky? It's not rocket science but you have to complete all rounds in one sitting?? It's a bit tasty.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 100
RE: Borderlands - 11/1/2010 10:50:47 AM   
BigKovacs

quote:

My thoughts on DLC #02 which I also posted on 360a

There seems to be a number of things which the developers have left out of this DLC which by now are surely no brainers?

1. Punishing your failure. Why repeat a wave when you fail? you've already proven you can do it and the waves are lengthy enough as it is without even more repetition. If it didn't throw you a wave back each time and you could save your progress like the campaign arena missions I would have done them all legit instead of splitscreen.

2. Weapon drops. absolute shite like others have said. no incentive to play on.

3. Frame rate issues. I was playing the close quarters extended arena and for the last 8 or so rounds the frame-rate was unplayable. Bodies don't disappear so there was a pile of 500+ bodies across the map making the frame rate take a nose dive. Do I care about playing the game, or seeing dead bodies? Hmmmmm. :/

4. Custom Search. If you want to join a game you have to hope you find a DLC game, there's no way to customise your search. You end up getting a load of 'off the bus' games.

5. Price. 800MSP.....seems like the standard price nowadays but this shouldn't be the same price as something like Fallout 3 DLC.

6. No Weapon XP. Once you're lvl 50 EXP doesn't matter, but it would have been nice/fucking standard to give players gun XP to raise the levels of guns they haven't used, rather than giving the player sweet FA

I don't think the amount of time it takes to complete would have been an issue if a few of the above would have been seen to. They all seem like very obvious things which seem to have been missed.

I think it takes the crown for worst DLC i've ever downloaded. Research before buying. I would only buy it if you care about having 100% in the game.

That totally sums it up for me too, nice one Chojin. Whilst I really enjoy the presentation and music of this DLC and I actually really enjoy arena fights this is horribly inbalanced, call it sour grapes but I'm going through it with a mate, both os us have great gear and are level 50's so we know how the games played... but we simply cannot get to the end of even one stage. 4 rounds but not quite the whole thing and it's so annoying, the enemies have tech thats way better than ours and just silly amounts of life, it's like were trying to fight a dozen level 55 bots per wave.

Apart from raw talent Chojin, how did you get through these? Are there any neat tricks?

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 101
RE: Borderlands - 11/1/2010 6:32:10 PM   
Chojin

You can use the splitscreen trick or one of you will need to run through them as a low level character.

start a new splitscreen game
select new characters for player 1+2
save and quit when you get off the bus
load the game again with your shit character as the host
load your great (lvl50) character as player 2.
start the game again
get up to the fast travel station
go to the underdome.

All of the enemies are levelled by the host character. so you'll have level 12 enemies when you're a level 50. It takes 3+ Hours per arena.

If you have a friend helping you can always play as a shit character and have him do all the work. Either way, always have a shit character host.

Note Make sure you play through each stage AS THE SAME CHARACTER. The achievement isn't for completing all three, its doing it as the same character.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 102
RE: Borderlands - 12/1/2010 10:13:59 AM   
BigKovacs

Wicked, thanks very much! Just one question, I may be missing something but if I'm hosting with the shit character don't I need to get to a point in the game where I can activate the fast travel beacons? Otherwise I won't be able to reach the Underdrome.

I did try again last night, legit, with two mates and some good kit and we still didn't make it. Very nearly got all three but we played all night and generally got the arse with it. It's a shame becouse I do like this DLC, it's just imbalanced.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 103
RE: Borderlands - 14/1/2010 10:39:33 AM   
BigKovacs

Okay I've done the short rounds... and now the long rounds are 20 ROUNDS long?? Sweet mary that's insane, I'm going to have to boost it. After I completed the three short rounds I got the achievement, skill point and checked the completed job list on the job board.

The three long stages have opened up but I cannot find an actual 'job' for the long stages, the job board is greyed out with no jobs. Is this right? Do I just carry one with the long stages without them as an active quest?

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 104
RE: Borderlands - 15/1/2010 10:32:12 AM   
BigKovacs

Well I've done the first long run of Hell-Burbia. God... that was boring!!

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 105
RE: Borderlands - 22/1/2010 7:37:21 AM   
Chojin

quote:

Try doing all three!

Further DLC announced. I want them to stop so I can trade it

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/21/next-borderlands-dlc-raises-level-cap/

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 106
RE: Borderlands - 22/1/2010 10:17:02 AM   
BigKovacs

Mate I did all three, two of them in one sitting. Was painfully boring!! What a damn shame.

I've just traded it for Darksiders, I may get Borders again for the extra DLC but only when it's a lot cheaper. Great game but that last bout of DLC has killed it for me, for now.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 107
RE: Borderlands - 22/1/2010 10:57:28 AM   
the anomaly

quote:

quote:

Try doing all three!

Further DLC announced. I want them to stop so I can trade it

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/21/next-borderlands-dlc-raises-level-cap/

Hmmmm that sounds promising. If you are going to bother removing the level cap then you need to add content to challenge level 50-60 characters .... so hopefully it's meaty. I'll buy/rent a copy again one day. Probaly buy if it's cheap and get all the DLC. Had a great time with it.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 108
RE: Borderlands - 26/1/2010 8:52:49 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

Really enjoying this game so far, I think it's the right type of balance between RPG and Shooter/Adventure for me to still take enjoyment out of it, once a game gets a little too RPG heavy I lose all interest (well not strictly true) I enjoyed Fallout 3, what I played of it, but the sheer amount of choices in games like that have me worrying so much that I can't afford to drop a single item, or skip a single side mission etc that I end up not getting anywhere

Started two stories, an online Co-op game with Giz, and a local splitscreen co-op game, both of them obviously rely on the two of us being available to play, so progressing slowly through the game, but making it last is not a problem for me at all. On the game with Giz, which I started first I decided to take the role of the Sniper, made sense from what little I knew of the game (and for some reasons still does make sense), but the pure shiteness (at least to begin with) of the special action has put me off the character somewhat. In the other game I'm the Berserker, and his special action skill is much more useful.

Still getting to grips with which guns are most effective against each enemy but I'm becoming a bit more accustomed to the different weapon types. In the game with Giz we got to the Mine Key section against the massive guy forgotten his name now, and we literally spent about 45 minutes getting to him in that hideout and then another 15-20 minutes killing him. Then in my other game we got through that section in just a handful of minutes, infact while there have been tough sections along the way in that game, the only real section that was really tough was the mines themselves, and then the cave full of the purple crabs had it's moments.

What I have noticed however is that despite learning that you can order the missions you are currently doing (didn't realise that in the game with Giz hence why we struggled so much) that we don't seem to level up quick enough, I'm level 19 or 20 in the offline co-op game and have completed every side mission and main mission and we've finished the Arid Badlands, but we are never in the same level as the enemies, they constantly have the yellow triangles next to their names, and if it weren't for a few helpful weapons, the berserker action we'd probably be stuck. Is this more a fault of playing through on co-op? Would I level up a lot quicker on my own? Or is that all worked out so that you aren't hindered in that sense by a friend?

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

Post #: 109
RE: Borderlands - 26/1/2010 11:39:44 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda
What I have noticed however is that despite learning that you can order the missions you are currently doing (didn't realise that in the game with Giz hence why we struggled so much) that we don't seem to level up quick enough, I'm level 19 or 20 in the offline co-op game and have completed every side mission and main mission and we've finished the Arid Badlands, but we are never in the same level as the enemies, they constantly have the yellow triangles next to their names, and if it weren't for a few helpful weapons, the berserker action we'd probably be stuck. Is this more a fault of playing through on co-op? Would I level up a lot quicker on my own? Or is that all worked out so that you aren't hindered in that sense by a friend?

I played offline and online co-op and never had problems. You should level up faster playing in co-op as the game takes into account that more people are playing. So it ups the amount of bad guys etc so you get more XP for your kills in co-op and better loot. Each mission has it's own difficulty so it's best to do the easy ones first and work your way up.

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 26/1/2010 11:42:13 PM >

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 110
RE: Borderlands - 1/2/2010 8:43:02 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

Really loving this game now, absolutely flying in it, Level 31 I think now. Only disappointment was the Rakk Hive, the woman on the tape told us it'd be our most difficult task yet, and while he took a lot of damage, he did very little to fight back, proving rather easy.

Anyway, could someone please tell me how to get the achievement for racing round the track in 31 seconds or under? Where does it register to and from? And what route do you have to take as there are slight detours, I must have gone round it about 20 times in a row and I'm certain I was doing it quickly enough, but no little noise, no notification.

Post #: 111
RE: Borderlands - 2/2/2010 11:03:25 AM   
BigKovacs

quote:

Really loving this game now, absolutely flying in it, Level 31 I think now. Only disappointment was the Rakk Hive, the woman on the tape told us it'd be our most difficult task yet, and while he took a lot of damage, he did very little to fight back, proving rather easy.

Anyway, could someone please tell me how to get the achievement for racing round the track in 31 seconds or under? Where does it register to and from? And what route do you have to take as there are slight detours, I must have gone round it about 20 times in a row and I'm certain I was doing it quickly enough, but no little noise, no notification.

Start from the gas station with the guns vendors outside it, then go anti-clockwise around the ring, take the first left in the cave and get ready to boost over a bitch of a jump, then boost again as much as you can. If that's as clear as mud youtube have various vids on it. It's a heavenly achievement compared to the Moxxi ones.

Post #: 112
RE: Borderlands - 6/2/2010 9:54:15 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

Cheers Kovacs, I got it.

Finished the game now, with the only achievements left being using the Soldiers and Siren's skill, and getting to levels 40 and 50.

Anyway a question, from what I've read online, both Zombie Island and The Underdrome have 5 achievements a piece, totalling 60 achievements for the game, why is it that on my Xbox only the achievements for Zombie Island are showing up as available? There's only a total of 55. I want to download both DLCs, and infact I have already downloaded Zombie Island, but I'm not buying and playing through The Underdrome until I know what's going on with the achievements, I know the game and the experience from that are the main reason to buy it, but achievements still play some part.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 113
RE: Borderlands - 6/2/2010 11:49:18 PM   
Chojin

Even if they don't show on xbox.com they will appear on things like trueacheivements.....check that to confirm.

And if you're getting Mad Moxxi for the experience alone, seriously save your money. It's only worth getting if you absolutely must have 100% in the game......which I did. It's the worst DLC i've ever purchased.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 114
RE: Borderlands - 7/2/2010 10:18:23 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

Well that's probably worth taking note of then, is it really that bad? What about co-op with friends? I do want 100%.

But if the achievement only show up on trueachievements and sites like that, and not on my 360, surely it won't unlock. I'm probably being paranoid

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 115
RE: Borderlands - 7/2/2010 10:57:53 AM   
Chojin

quote:

Well that's probably worth taking note of then, is it really that bad? What about co-op with friends? I do want 100%.

But if the achievement only show up on trueachievements and sites like that, and not on my 360, surely it won't unlock. I'm probably being paranoid

Na, they will show up on your 360 as well and live as well, its just the website having a fit. There are def. achievements attached to Mad Moxxi.

Even if you're doing MM co-op with friends its still an unbelievably boring experience that isn't worth participating in....unless you want the cheeves of course.

Trouble is, if you both have level 50 characters the enemies will be tailoured towards that combat level and its very tough, whereas if you botch it and have one level 1 character and a level 50 (host determines enemy threat level) then it becomes a breeze, but its still 10-12 hours of your life for 125GS.

I was sad enough to do it......are you?

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 116
RE: Borderlands - 11/2/2010 12:21:12 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

Finished Zombie Island after about 10 sessions of signing out, clearing the cache etc to get it to unlock achievements it hadn't given me. Basically been playing the whole game split screen co-op and on this DLC one of us would get an achievement and not the other, so we had to do what Gearbox had released as a fix instead of a proper patch, sign out, clear the cache, the player who was player 1 sign in as player 2 and vice versa, then load up a multiplayer splitscreen game and fast travel to Jakob's Cove. Then do the same but load a single player moder, then keep repeating till it gave us both all our achievements.

Overall though very enjoyable although very short for 800 points, about 3 hours at most and that included the Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaains mission. We started playing Mad Moxxi, but once we realised you have to finish all 5 rounds of 5 waves otherwise it won't save progress we called it a night.

Can't see level 50 coming any time soon, currently level 41 and XP just doesn't seem to be racking up anymore.

Anyone got a clue when the next DLC is expected to be released? It looks a lot better than Mad Moxxi.

PS - Those Defilers (the zombies that throw up and slow you down) are the most annoying things on earth.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 117
RE: Borderlands - 23/2/2010 9:12:23 PM   
Chojin

Just started DLC #03

After 30 minutes I can tell this is the best DLC yet. New missions, increased level cap and huge new areas which are well designed. Just wish I had more time to play it tonight.

I'm actually impressed! Though it feels like Mad Moxxi could have been tagged together with this.

Edit:

quote:

Can't see level 50 coming any time soon, currently level 41 and XP just doesn't seem to be racking up anymore.

Start a second playthrough, you get a lot more XP!

< Message edited by Chojin -- 23/2/2010 9:13:46 PM >

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 118
RE: Borderlands - 24/2/2010 8:13:27 AM   
From_Hell

Great news, and if you're rating it higher than Zombie Island, that sounds very promising. I'll be downloading it tonight, but I'll try and stay off it till I finally finish Mass Effect 2!

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 119
RE: Borderlands - 24/2/2010 11:02:35 AM   
BigKovacs

Its out already??? Shit I just traded Borders. My google-fu failed me. I'm glad that's it's better than Moxxie's. Ned's was a good crack but Moxxi sucked arse, good idea and had good elements but just a dumb round structure.

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Borderlands Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI