Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Borderlands

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Borderlands Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Borderlands - 23/10/2009 8:46:27 AM   
Yeti

Pre-ordered, hence the "ain't played it" bit. This is rather the game I've been looking forward to. Now, I do believe Post-wise, I won't be playing it until the back end of never.

We sit over our keyboards shoveling Pot Noodles down our mouths. Not because we're hungry. Not because we like them. Just to stifle the sobs for another minute or two.

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 31
RE: Borderlands - 23/10/2009 4:37:49 PM   
Yeti

Now I have it.

We sit over our keyboards shoveling Pot Noodles down our mouths. Not because we're hungry. Not because we like them. Just to stifle the sobs for another minute or two.

(in reply to Yeti)
Post #: 32
RE: Borderlands - 23/10/2009 5:40:51 PM   
Chojin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yeti
Pre-ordered, hence the "ain't played it" bit. This is rather the game I've been looking forward to. Now, I do believe Post-wise, I won't be playing it until the back end of never.

My copy has been despatched by zavvi. Hopefully since i've got Monday off I have it by then, but I won't hold my breath.

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Yeti)
Post #: 33
RE: Borderlands - 23/10/2009 6:28:43 PM   
Yeti

I tire of it.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 34
RE: Borderlands - 23/10/2009 10:01:56 PM   
richCie

quote:

I tire of it.

already??

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Yeti)
Post #: 35
RE: Borderlands - 24/10/2009 8:50:19 AM   
Yeti

It hasn't grabbed me yet. I'm persevering, like, but I think the multiplayer aspect might be more fun. It shouldn't have come into my house on Forza day, dagnabbit! It is smooth and pretty, mind.

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 36
RE: Borderlands - 24/10/2009 2:53:26 PM   
genejoke

the multi player is the grabber, the single player is alright but not on par woith fallout 3's.

(in reply to Yeti)
Post #: 37
RE: Borderlands - 25/10/2009 8:29:42 PM   
Yeti

It gets fucking Nails!

I think I've been pretty stupid lunking around as Brick. His Beserker was fun for thirty seconds, now my punches pretty much do no damage whatsoever. Also, the driving is a bit skittery... Kind of like driving a drunk Warthog whilst drunk.

(in reply to genejoke)
Post #: 38
RE: Borderlands - 25/10/2009 8:32:19 PM   
juanvasquez

In terms of gameplay and style, is this more Fallout 3 or Halo 3?

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to Yeti)
Post #: 39
RE: Borderlands - 25/10/2009 9:27:40 PM   
Yeti

I'd say nothing like Fallout, really. Well, it's a blasted backdrop and all that. And not really that much like Halo either. That... really doesn't help. It's like a "Shoot things, get XP, level up, buy bigger guns, continue". Half of the bad guys pretty much level up with you anyway, so you seemingly always take the same amount of shots anyhoo, which never makes sense. 

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 40
RE: Borderlands - 26/10/2009 9:47:09 AM   
Chojin

quote:

I'd say nothing like Fallout, really. Well, it's a blasted backdrop and all that. And not really that much like Halo either. That... really doesn't help. It's like a "Shoot things, get XP, level up, buy bigger guns, continue". Half of the bad guys pretty much level up with you anyway, so you seemingly always take the same amount of shots anyhoo, which never makes sense.

Pretty much what Yeti said. It has more in common with games like the newest Kingdom Under Fire game where you join up with 3 other players fighting the same enemies but levelling up all of your stats. The only difference being that it's a lot of fun to play.

It's for all the stat freaks out there imo (and I include myself in this group)

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Yeti)
Post #: 41
RE: Borderlands - 26/10/2009 10:40:33 AM   
thepluginbaby

I've been pleasantly suprised by this game.  I brought it the other day with Brutal Legend but have played it far more frequently.  I think Diablo is a game that is constantly getting thrown around to describe this game, what with all the looting and leveling up.  All the missions you are giving are pure MMO but it works great than a co-op game.  There is a greater sense of identity with the game, far more so than Halo or other standard shooters.  Whilst all the differences between all the guns in the game are purely statistical, with different scopes and colours, you do feel the difference when you get an upgrade.  Just got the elephant gun for example, before I may have been lucky to blow their heads off with a critical hit...  Now, I just blow their torsos off.  Good game in general and I can't wait to check out the multiplayer.

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 42
RE: Borderlands - 26/10/2009 11:13:38 AM   
BigKovacs

It's a fun game, simple diablo style leveling with reasonably good shooter mechanice (considering it's balanced as an RPG). Coop is a right hoot and it adds enemies and ramps up their levels depending on the host and the team assembled. All round a right laugh but I just wish there was armour or you could change your appearance some how.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 43
RE: Borderlands - 26/10/2009 11:58:36 AM   
sharkboy

I noticed a lot of you guys playing this last night - what are the general feelings about the multiplayer mode?  And does the single-player suffer by comparison?  In other words, is it worth a handful of my hard-earned cash?

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 44
RE: Borderlands - 26/10/2009 12:19:44 PM   
BigKovacs

Personally I really enjoy shooters and find even basic RPG elements very addictive so I recommend it if you like those genre's, they're not shining examples of each style of game but are a nice mix. Coop is good fun, easy to drop in and out of but make sure you're playing with mates as loot drops aren't private, ie they can be nicked by other players.

You can power-level as well so if you're behind level wise you only need a mate with 20 mins to spare and you can cane through them quite quickly.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 45
RE: Borderlands - 26/10/2009 5:24:43 PM   
sroey

It is indeed a great game - great visual style and good fun.

I agree with Yeti - its effin nails - Im a level 7 and have just been chased around for half an hour by a level 10 Badass Psycho - used all my ammo and about 4 regens. The Psycho midgets are freaky!

Anyone wanna join up for some Co-op? My gamertag is 'Bigsro' if you are interested!

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 46
RE: Borderlands - 26/10/2009 7:41:45 PM   
From_Hell

Reading through reviews and forum posts, the general gist I'm getting is that this game looks good, is great fun, got cool weapons, hard as nails... etc etc etc.

What I'm not hearing about is plot or storyline..... so is there one? I'm thinking of buying this game at the end of the week, but if this game really is going to suck 50 hours of my time, I want to know whethere there's a strong storyline to drive me to keep playing it!

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 47
RE: Borderlands - 27/10/2009 10:09:17 AM   
Yeti

It's got some form of prevailing storyline about a Vault. Hmmmn.

It seems to have gotten weird since my Beserker now has exploding fists, and well, exploding Sniper Rifle. I tend to hang around outside Bandit camps (how do they know you have a Sniper locked on them? There ain't no red dot). Do as much damage as possible, then run in all fists flying (which I don't tire of yet, by the way). I've put so ruddy much into my melee damage, and health regeneration on melee kills that I pretty much can't be taken down at close range. I like my set-up now, it feels... comfy.

< Message edited by Yeti -- 27/10/2009 10:13:30 AM >

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 48
RE: Borderlands - 27/10/2009 11:59:04 AM   
BigKovacs

I've got a very similar set up Yeti. snipe/punch/shotgun/revolver seems to treat me pretty well.

There is a story but it's half assed, it's only there as an excuse for people to go treasure hunting, which is what this game is all about.

(in reply to Yeti)
Post #: 49
RE: Borderlands - 28/10/2009 9:48:46 AM   
sroey

Well been playing this the last few nights and its a great but flawed game. Been on with Yeti - who kindly let me sponge off him and power level up. Thanks by the way! And I can confirm his Brick character is almost indestructable up close. Whereas me being  a lowly level 15 (when I joined - am now 21) was always getting wiped out instantly. Pretty much useless in a fight.

I have a question though - when you shoot people you see the little numbers drop off them, all of differing colours - is that the damage you have done? Also why do you not get XP for killing everything - is it only awarded for killing things of a similar level?

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 50
RE: Borderlands - 28/10/2009 9:52:40 AM   
sroey

Also my soldier character heals team-nates when I shoot them! So please dont be alarmed if it looks like im being a troll and gunning you down!

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 51
RE: Borderlands - 28/10/2009 6:24:54 PM   
Yeti

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Now I understand!!!

In a much similar vein, but not at all, my character heals whilst causing melee damage, so that's pretty much my reason for getting all up close and invading the enemy's personal space, like.

Old Haven is pretty bloody rough, but fantastic for picking up roughly a million shields and weapons to hawk off at the nearest vending machine.

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 52
RE: Borderlands - 28/10/2009 6:48:17 PM   
richCie

so this worth getting? i am these days a very casual gamer - as in i dont spend alot of time playing anything - only ever when i have too much uni work to do and u cba. but feel that if i go out i will be committing myself to hours of no work - whereas playing Gun - might only take half hour. yes i'm playing Gun - old skool :) it's good fun but decides to crash after any longer than an hour which is annoying.

(in reply to Yeti)
Post #: 53
RE: Borderlands - 29/10/2009 9:43:22 AM   
BigKovacs

Guns a good game mate. I think you may like Borderlands, okay it's a sci-fi game but the frontier themes there and the music's sort of Western. You can easily drop in for 20mins or cain it for hours, it's quite casual.

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 54
RE: Borderlands - 29/10/2009 10:14:43 AM   
richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigKovacs

Guns a good game mate. I think you may like Borderlands, okay it's a sci-fi game but the frontier themes there and the music's sort of Western. You can easily drop in for 20mins or cain it for hours, it's quite casual.

well i wont be getting it for a while yet at least - Stalker: shadow of Chernobyl that i've wanted to play for ages is only 3.50 on Steam so i'm downloading that atm...

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 55
RE: Borderlands - 29/10/2009 8:45:30 PM   
Chojin

Just hit Level 15 Shotgun Proficency - shame i'm less than 3 on everything else. Anyone know what the maximum level is for guns?

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 56
RE: Borderlands - 30/10/2009 8:20:58 AM   
Yeti

Ah shite. I sort of stopped at ten for all of them, which meant a lot of bloody idiot work with the Eridian Cannon. Right, back to the Sniper rifle.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 57
RE: Borderlands - 30/10/2009 10:32:38 AM   
BigKovacs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

Just hit Level 15 Shotgun Proficency - shame i'm less than 3 on everything else. Anyone know what the maximum level is for guns?

I assume until you reach a 100% maximum bonus on all of them. I should really stop being lazy and just google it.

I'm hitting some pretty weird bugs regarding achievements. I have the 'reach level 10 with any weapon' without actually doing so, however I can't get the 'kill 25 enemies with acid weapons' despite killing 42 according to my awards list.

Balls.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 58
RE: Borderlands - 2/11/2009 12:56:27 AM   
the anomaly

I've picked the Siren class shown above. I've forgotten what her strengths are meant to be. But I quite like the Phase Walk Skill. I mostly use the Sniper Rifle, Pistol and Machinne Guns. So far I'm only at level 12. I love the cel shaded look of the game. Just hope there is more variety later in enemies and environments etc. The story is pretty throw away and is just an excuse to drive around shooting and looting. Over all it's a fun game though.

Running over skags and raiders is great fun in the vehicles. Though at level 12 I tried to run over a level 16 Badass Raider or somthing and the car blew up ... I'm sure it had not taken any damage before that so I was pretty surprised.

I'm playing through on co-op so it's Shoot, Loot, Upgrade and continue ... but it is great fun. A lot more exciting when you are taking on foes that are a few level higher than you. It's quite satisfying taking out a stronger enemy as a team. Joyous is currently playing through as the soldier class. So her turret ability comes in handy. Enjoying the game but I'm hoping somthing BIG will happen though. Like a BIG boss fight or somthing. Still it's a great addition to my collection of co-op games and games in general. It should keep me happy for some time. Not touched the vs mode either.

I've not played it in anything more than 2 player at the moment. Though I wanted to know if I am playing in spilit screen mode can I also play online with 2 other players? Like you can in Left 4 Dead/Halo 3/ ODST etc? I tried before but Joyous did not have a gold account then so I thought that could have been the reason. It's a shame if that option is missing.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 59
RE: Borderlands - 2/11/2009 6:11:31 AM   
Yeti

Yeah, forget what I said earlier in the thread. I was wrong. I shall take it out on myself at a later date. It's kind of neat, but you do really need to co-op on it in order to do any leveling of any description. As Anomaly rightly puts it... there isn't a story, and to compare it to Fallout or Halo doesn't give it justice. It's... Borderlands. I quite like it. (But I like grinding up levels and Dynasty Warriors, so take of that what thou will). 

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Borderlands Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI