Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Doctor Who: Matt Smith In Costume

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Doctor Who: Matt Smith In Costume Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Doctor Who: Matt Smith In Costume - 20/7/2009 4:14:04 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 20/7/2009 4:14:04 PM   
crazymoviesdude

OH HELL!!! Not only is this guy way too young, incredibly ugly and extremely lacking in charisma, but apparently they see fit to make him look like he stepped from the 40s. Another bad move in a string of bad moves which will be known at Doctor Who Series 5.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
woo! - 20/7/2009 4:16:45 PM   
thepluginbaby

He looks a bit like a chemistry teacher! I am looking forward to the return of Doctor Who and am hoping that Moffat is able to reinvent the series in the style of the classic episodes he wrote.

Post #: 3
meh... - 20/7/2009 4:24:25 PM   
waltham1979

We will see...without the risk of being lynched I wasn't the biggest fan of Tennant (although thats more down to some of the stories and writing than the actor himself). This guy looks a hell of a lot like Crispin Hunt from the Long Pigs though.

Oh and I always hoped they would bring back that Sally Sparrow chick from the weeping angels epsiode as his assistant!

Post #: 4
not sure - 20/7/2009 4:27:25 PM   
robrob75

The jacket and bow tie I can cope with (in fact I think I quite like them), but I'm really not sure about the rolled-up trousers and boots - not sure at all.

Post #: 5
- 20/7/2009 4:30:41 PM   
Jo Wareham

He looks a bit arrogant to me but Steven Moffatt's stories have all been standout so bring it on!

Post #: 6
- 20/7/2009 4:32:56 PM   
RogueElement

The new outfit for the Doctor is an interesting counterpoint to the age of the actor playing the role. I'm hoping that the outfit will evolve as the character of this incarnation of the Doctor does as first impressions aren't great. The boots are pretty cool though and it looks as though he's wearing a nice gold watch (which may or may not be relevant somehow).

Could be worse, at least he doesn't have a vegetable pinned to his lapel.

Post #: 7
RE: - 20/7/2009 4:35:42 PM   
Histeria

The more I see of Moffat's approach to the show, the more I think he 'gets it' in a way Russell T Davies fundamentally didn't.

I thoroughly approve of the look, and may even forgive the casting of a man-child

(in reply to RogueElement)
Post #: 8
- 20/7/2009 4:52:02 PM   
RogueElement

The new outfit for the Doctor is an interesting counterpoint to the age of the actor playing the role. I'm hoping that the outfit will evolve as the character of this incarnation of the Doctor does as first impressions aren't great. The boots are pretty cool though and it looks as though he's wearing a nice gold watch (which may or may not be relevant somehow).

Could be worse, at least he doesn't have a vegetable pinned to his lapel.

Post #: 9
OK So I take it back a bit... - 20/7/2009 4:56:02 PM   
albumental

The bow tie & Doc Martins look is kinda cool and his hair doesn't look quite as preposterous as in his casting photo. Karen Gillan is cute as all get out (if only I was 10 years younger etc) but I still think they look like assistants circa Patrick Troughton days and are missing the authority of an older Dr.

Post #: 10
Like it! - 20/7/2009 5:39:55 PM   
The_Hat

You can sense the sexual tension between them already! It's great! Good costume choices too! They've made him look like an old school teacher! And they've made her look like a... hang on... they've made her look like a... erm... a young schoolgirl....

Post #: 11
RE: Like it! - 20/7/2009 5:49:34 PM   
Frank Castle

he's dressed like indiana jones when he's in his teaching gear. Is the new doctor who a movie then?

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!

(in reply to The_Hat)
Post #: 12
So-so - 20/7/2009 5:57:12 PM   
Taz69

I shall give him a chance as I w\as doubtful about Christopher Ecclestone when Who re-launched but he turned out to be brilliant, then Tennant continued the good work so I wait till the end of the 1st series till I make my mind up.
But, really, you can never take someone seriously when they're wearing a bowtie. I can see it nows, next year kids around the country wearing bowties at lunchtimes. Not.

Post #: 13
They both look great - 20/7/2009 6:23:05 PM   
tom_poynton

I got a great vibe of Matt Smith when they announced him a while back. Enough RTD and Tennant gurning! Time for some proper Who!

Post #: 14
RE: They both look great - 20/7/2009 6:50:52 PM   
BishopQuaker

I have to be honest, I was not impressed when they unveiled Matt Smith.
He is certainly lacking in the aesthetic department.
Ok I'm no one to judge on that front but to go from Eccleston to Tennant to a glorified chemistry teacher (I liked the chemistry teacher comment!)

(in reply to tom_poynton)
Post #: 15
RE: They both look great - 20/7/2009 6:56:42 PM   
OddCinema

Looking better than the worringly emo-styled pictures that first came out - just as long as he doesn't try to echo Tennant's Doctor and takes it in a different direction instead, I think we'll be fine.

I think. <prays>

< Message edited by OddCinema -- 21/7/2009 10:35:47 AM >

(in reply to BishopQuaker)
Post #: 16
I trust Moffatt. - 20/7/2009 7:10:41 PM   
Mopictures

In my opinion, this ties in with what Moffatt said in the special in which they introduced Smith as the 11th Doctor, when he said he had wanted an old Doctor this time out. Okay, so his perfect Doctor turned out to be a young fella, but the costume looks he may finally be returning to his slightly bumbly absent-minded professor years - Which is NOT a bad thing. Not to put down Tenant, but there is absolutely NOWHERE to go with the happy chap schtick after he's gone, he'd pushed it as far as it could go. This could be a Pertwee-esque performance, the like of which not seen for years!

Post #: 17
RE: I trust Moffatt. - 20/7/2009 8:33:47 PM   
Sphinx

Ooh Pertwee-esque I like that! I'm still undecided but the proof is in the pud and the performance

Meet The New Boss...Same As The Old Boss

(in reply to Mopictures)
Post #: 18
RE: I trust Moffatt. - 20/7/2009 9:50:55 PM   
Mopictures

Quite right. People get wrapped up in Tenant that they forget that the character was originally played by 9 awesome and decidedly different dudes, and most of them were not unlike chemistry teachers (especially if you went to my school). 

(in reply to Sphinx)
Post #: 19
Cool... - 20/7/2009 10:30:40 PM   
stewart4

Nice new look. Quite different than anything before, I think. I'm looking forward to the new series.

Post #: 20
RE: Cool... - 20/7/2009 10:33:43 PM   
Drone

He looks a little eccentric; I'll give him a chance.

(in reply to stewart4)
Post #: 21
A Who sceptic who can't wait... - 20/7/2009 11:05:46 PM   
batfunk

I too can't wait for Steven Moffat's take on the show. Doctor Who has always been a bit too patchy for me to ever fall head over heels with it. I've always loved the concept of the character, but the realisation of it misses the mark for me. I suppose I'd love to see a more adult version, with story arcs that are more complex and dangers that feel more real and suspenseful. I wish they could invoke the atmosphere of Quatermass 2 and Quatermass And The Pit, mixed in with the eerieness of the Pertwee and Baker years. Tennant isn't that bad I suppose, but he doesn't suspend my disbelief. I feel as though he's acting, when I want to just believe in the character. Blink was a great episode, because it hardly relied on The Doctor. From what I've seen of Matt Smith's acting, he is of a very high calibre for someone of his age. I wish him all the luck in the world. People always let RTD off the hook by saying that he aimed the show at a family audience. Well this show was aimed at a family audience back in the sixties and seventies, as were many other genre shows. For some reason, back then, they knew how to 'do' weird and 'do' suspense and 'do' creepy surreal, f**cked-up shit. Bring it on!

Post #: 22
Oh! - 21/7/2009 8:05:54 AM   
El-Branden Brazil

I was hoping that he was going to go for a Goth/Romantic look in black.

Post #: 23
- 21/7/2009 8:16:26 AM   
steveg66

The bow tie makes him look a twat but, hey, I thought no one could fill Christopher Ecclestone's shoes. How wrong was I?!

Post #: 24
I like it! - 21/7/2009 10:49:41 AM   
The Tingler

I especially like the way it's not trendy or youthful in the slightest, as if the Doctor, despite how he looks, is actually old and out-of-touch! Good juxtaposition there! (A word I've always wanted to use but never had a chance!)

Post #: 25
EMPIRE - 21/7/2009 11:19:07 AM   
sagart

the MOVIE magazine (and website!!)

Post #: 26
EMPIRE - 21/7/2009 11:20:04 AM   
sagart

the MOVIE magazine (and website!!)

Post #: 27
They've got the outfit right, pity about the Doctor - 21/7/2009 7:22:55 PM   
cybercontroller

I've noticed a few comments on the internet slagging off the new costume because it's not fashionable. What idiots! It's all about reflecting the character's eccentricity and this look does that nicely. However, i'm still a bit dubious about the casting of Matt Smith and whether he's going to be convincing. People say that the Doctor can be any age they want him to be but that's entirely missing the point. I've no doubt Smith will be able to handle the wacky side of the Doctor but there's a more serious side to the character where he becomes the authority figure and stands up to the Daleks or whoever and you really need somebody around 30 at least to convince at this. Smith was 26 when he was cast but looks even younger. There's a stupid way of thinking that for a show to appeal to kids, it needs to have a really young actor as the main character so they can identify with him and that's complete rubbish. I hope that Steven Moffat's not thinking this way, chasing demographics rather than doing what's right for the show but hopefully i'll be proved wrong. Actually, the casting of Karen Gillan has restored a bit of faith in him, there's something about her that just says "assistant in Dr Who". Also, she's pretty damn cute.

Post #: 28
Yum yum - 21/7/2009 10:46:23 PM   
dogtanian

Sod Matt Smith , Karen Gillan is a honey

Post #: 29
Bloody Students! - 22/7/2009 12:45:04 AM   
Oli Monkey

For some reason the picture makes me want to say Bloody Students! See, said it twice now.
Anyway I think Matt Smith is going to make a great Doctor.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Doctor Who: Matt Smith In Costume Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI