Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 9/8/2009 11:28:38 PM   
CORLEONE

Just watched episode 4. Enjoyed again, tho the Jason erection scenes made me laugh and cringe at the same time. It's a lot funnier than I thought it would be.

And I absolutely love that theme song!

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 61
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 12/8/2009 6:45:43 PM   
Peter Dragon

It's great isn't it. Loving it so far. Just wanted to add to the praise.

I'm so impressed by it I took a sneak at the season 2 trailers on youchoob and wow.

I'm reluctant to say it but this is slowly filling the Galactica shaped hole left in my life last spring.

Love the way Sookie appears to totally naive, Pacquin's doing a great job in this. And Bill Compton, thank god we're getting a macho portrayal of a vampire at last, no swooning interview with the vampire type pretty boys here. We've yet to see him throw down properly but it's getting hinted at that he's an ass kicker.
Their chemistry is great. And the cast of characters are great too, looking forward to seeing more of Skarsgard as Eric.

Fuck land! I'm on a boat motherfucker!

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 62
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 13/8/2009 5:01:26 PM   
Shaunette_ofthe_Dead

My housemates & I got Sky in time for the catch-up TB weekend! :-D LOVING it; one of my geekier friends now has a weekly appointment at mine to watch the new eps.

Genuinely sexy, laugh-out-loud funny in places and all in all brilliant entertainment. I'm also thinking this is the best. Opening  credits. EVER. LOVE the theme song!!! Anyone know who it's by..? I can guess from the titles, but not sure...

"Were you checking me out or him? Because he worries about me getting harrassed in the workplace."

(in reply to Peter Dragon)
Post #: 63
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 13/8/2009 7:44:16 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Have to say it's been great so far and I await the next episode in anticipation. Jasons scenes always make me laugh, there's something so stupidly funny about his character, Sookie is naive and innocent, Bill has the makings of a real badass but my favourite character by far is Tara, she's so direct and had some great lines.

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Shaunette_ofthe_Dead)
Post #: 64
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 15/8/2009 9:54:30 PM   
losthighway

Episode 5: Sparks Fly Out

Very good episode which was surprisingly short on actual content from the book with the majority of the events being made up by Ball and his writers. Jason and his V issues were fun but it'd be nice to see him as more than the show baffoon - he's hardly in the book and when he is, he's not actually that nice a guy! Although it was great to see, the flashback to Bill being turned into a vampire and the whole toast fork moment isn't in Dead Until Dawn: Book 1 (it might be in later books??). I also liked how Bill cried blood - another element not in DUD! I'm also fairly certain Sam isn't that full on with Sookie so early on in the story - he doesn't declare his feelings properly until towards the end. Oh and did you spot the dog again - has anyone worked out what it means yet!??

I can see i'm gonna have to keep watching this because they've added loads to the story and although i'm enjoying it, part of me still feels the book is slightly better... Although, the S1 DVD boxset will be gracing my collection when it's released in October - that's for sure!

< Message edited by losthighway -- 15/8/2009 9:56:42 PM >

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 65
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 16/8/2009 4:56:38 PM   
davie_rfc

Have to admit I was really shocked when the grandmother got killed she was great

Really enjoying this so far.A lot funnier than I thought it would be.

"This whole festival was put together by twenty third-graders with lots of chutzpah and one panda!"

Post #: 66
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 16/8/2009 11:45:16 PM   
losthighway

Yeah davie... direct from page to screen!

I really want to say what the dog means but can't!  I'm dying to know how they show that particular element in the show.

(in reply to davie_rfc)
Post #: 67
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 17/8/2009 7:37:58 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

I'm quite glad I've never read the book to be honest, then all the plot twists aren't spoiled. I think I'll read it after I've watched the TV series.

This episode was great, Jasons 'V' antics were funny again, Tara was on good form as usual and the 'Aids Burger' scene was hilarious. Loved that more of the focus was on Bill this week and how he became a vampire and his family story really is quite heartbreaking. It was a real shock at the end aswell when Sookie and Jasons granma was found dead

I haven't quite worked out what the dog is all about yet but there's something fishy going on with Sam, he barks in his sleep and Sookie can't directly read his thoughts, I think she said she could hear some but heard some weird noise aswell. I would suggest that he's a lycan of something and can talk to dogs and he's using the dog to spy on people but I'm probably totally off the mark.

Post #: 68
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 17/8/2009 9:08:31 AM   
jediwarrior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

I'm quite glad I've never read the book to be honest, then all the plot twists aren't spoiled. I think I'll read it after I've watched the TV series.

I read the first book before seeing the series and it did spoil the series abit for me as you knew certain thing were happening.
I won't read the 2nd book I'll wait for the 2nd series instead.

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

Post #: 69
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 17/8/2009 9:38:40 AM   
HIM

quote:

ORIGINAL: davie_rfc

Have to admit I was really shocked when the grandmother got killed she was great

Really enjoying this so far.A lot funnier than I thought it would be.

Yeah I did not see that coming. I don't normally like old grandma/auntie type characters as they usually annoy me (like Peter Parker's aunt in Spider-Man) but I really liked Grandma Stackhouse. My girlfriend finished Dead Until Dark in less than two days and loved it. She's currently winging her way through Living Dead In Dallas now. Whilst I've warned her that any spoilers will result in her being dead, she did also comment on the way that Alan Ball has expanded the background characters and created new stories/scenarios for them. Also, she mentioned that Tara isn't in the book at all.

What I find really refreshing is that this has been done as a TV series as oppossed to a film for each book. Normally, a book is condensed into two hours and so much is left out or changed to fit in the time scale. Here they can actually adapt the whole book and even add new characters and scenes to flesh out the story. More books should be done this way.

(in reply to davie_rfc)
Post #: 70
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 17/8/2009 9:53:57 AM   
losthighway

I
quote:

read the first book before seeing the series and it did spoil the series abit for me as you knew certain thing were happening.
I won't read the 2nd book I'll wait for the 2nd series instead.

I'm with you that idea tbh.

quote:

Yeah I did not see that coming. I don't normally like old grandma/auntie type characters as they usually annoy me (like Peter Parker's aunt in Spider-Man) but I really liked Grandma Stackhouse. My girlfriend finished Dead Until Dark in less than two days and loved it. She's currently winging her way through Living Dead In Dallas now. Whilst I've warned her that any spoilers will result in her being dead, she did also comment on the way that Alan Ball has expanded the background characters and created new stories/scenarios for them. Also, she mentioned that Tara isn't in the book at all.

What I find really refreshing is that this has been done as a TV series as oppossed to a film for each book. Normally, a book is condensed into two hours and so much is left out or changed to fit in the time scale. Here they can actually adapt the whole book and even add new characters and scenes to flesh out the story. More books should be done this way.

MAJOR SAM SPOILERAGE!!!

That is what has surprised me so much about the TV show aswell and why I said I now have to keep watching. She's totally right, they have really gone to town on a lot of elements that are only eluded to in the book - as for Sam... would a white out spoiler work!?? I really wanna know how the show 'it'...  Sam spoiler!!! He is a shape shifter, not a lycan as such. He's keeps the dog as a means of focussing on something to turn into. You may recall Bill said in an earlier episode there are shapeshifters aswell as vampires roaming around.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 71
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 17/8/2009 11:22:38 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Does anyone know how many episodes there are?

Post #: 72
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 17/8/2009 12:12:33 PM   
The Red Avenger

A real bugbear of mine is people saying "Oh it's just [new teen fad] with more [sex/swearing/violence] or it's a rip-off of [new ten fad] when [new teen fad] is much newer than [thing being talked about]

Take this for instance - it's being compared to Twilight - when the source material is much older than Twilight. so surely it should be "Twilight is like this..." I don't suppose Charlaine Harris is that bothered to be honest - as it means her books will be lapped up by the Twilight hoardes - so I'm happy for her.

It happened with all the Potter-rites when Sky showed Terry Pratchett's Hogfather - they all called it a ripoff when Hogfather was about 10 years earlier. And infact how dare he invent a school for Wizards (well actually a University) - when in fact he invented that one before most Potterites were even born in 1983.

Sometimes it takes something like a new version of an old thing - such as the Star Wars fans complaining about Lord of the Rings being a rip off - until it's pointed out that the books were written in 1953 - so who ripped off who, sonny Jim, if anybody?

It just annoys the hell out of me.

Anyway - onto True Blood. Only watched the first two episodes so far - really enjoying it. Brilliant idea to have Vampires coming out into the open and trying to integrate into society - there's a feeling of unacceptance and the "Gay Rights" in the good ol' USA" arguments are a nice parallel. I think the characters are strong, well written and there's plenty of scope for "fleshing them out" - it's another winner for HBO who like "Showtime" continually push the boundaries of conventional TV - making them more like mini-films than TV programmes which seem to be made so the companies can shoehorn in 15 minutes of adverts in to an hour program. Along with "The Soprano's, Deadwood, Sleeper Cell, The Tudors, Dexter and Six Feet Under" these two companies are making groundbreaking Television that doesn't pander to the masses and knows it's audience and more importantly, doesn't insult them. Yep - True Blood definitely falls into that category and look forward to watching this each week - or in my case I have about 4 episodes to catch up with this week.
RA

(in reply to 24Dan)
Post #: 73
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 17/8/2009 2:08:34 PM   
jediwarrior

quote:

Does anyone know how many episodes there are?

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

Post #: 74
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 17/8/2009 11:04:41 PM   
CORLEONE

Just watched episode 5. What a great show! It's getting better and better. Very intriguing, was a shocker with Granma. Like the Bill civil war flashbacks too, and those cops are a great double act

Jason Stackhouse is a slut! I think he's shagged a different woman in each episode so far! He was hilarious when outside with that tart after he'd just declared his love for Tara

Losthighway, keep schtum about that doggy! I downloaded the theme tune to my phone - Jace Everett, Bad Things. Quality.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 75
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 18/8/2009 8:23:32 AM   
losthighway

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

Just watched episode 5. What a great show! It's getting better and better. Very intriguing, was a shocker with Granma. Like the Bill civil war flashbacks too, and those cops are a great double act

Jason Stackhouse is a slut! I think he's shagged a different woman in each episode so far! He was hilarious when outside with that tart after he'd just declared his love for Tara

Losthighway, keep schtum about that doggy! I downloaded the theme tune to my phone - Jace Everett, Bad Things. Quality.

Corleone... The Sam spoiler is mentioned above (should you wish to drag and highlight it), otherwise my lips are sealed.  

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 76
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 18/8/2009 8:51:42 AM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

Corleone... The Sam spoiler is mentioned above (should you wish to drag and highlight it), otherwise my lips are sealed.  

I know. I'm refusing to check it

Great show, loving it at the mo.

Post #: 77
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 18/8/2009 6:08:03 PM   
The Red Avenger

Ah, caught up now. This really is a great series so far.

I am particularly drawn to the humour as I think this just takes the edge of the brooding that goes on - a particular favourite character of mine is Detective Andy - as the poor sap has absolutely no respect at all, and knows it. Everytime he tries to be the hard man, the Sherrif (played by the brilliant William Sanderson of Deadwood and Bladeruner fame) puts him down. the classic being Jason being arrested for the second time and asking does dead women turn him on to which Jason says "No but it seems to turn you on." The Sherrif giggled and when Jason went to the bathroom he turned to the Sherrif and said "Why did you laugh, it made me look stupid" Brilliant stuff.

As for Jason - what an absolute tool. Or more correctly "a walking tool." Can this man get any stupider? "One or two drops at most" Ok I'm in a police car so I'll drink the lot and hide the vial in the police car. Then after pouring his heart out to Tara he goes and spoils it by shagging the town bike behind the dustbins. Tara's revenge was great - except he just carried on.

Tara and Laffayette are beginning to get some great lines too. Tara's "slave black girl" chip on her shoulder is particulary well done and do I detect a slight jealousy that the Vampires have taken over the "most persecuted" race in the South. Laffayette may be a stereotypical gay black man but hell that doesn't make him a wimp. Loved the way he dealt with the Rednecks over the Aidsburger. Way to go! Don't mess with Laffayette. Plus he's dodgy as hell. A great character.

I think the humour is balancing out nicely - but that's not detracting from the story and the intrigue. Can't wait for the next installment.
RA

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 78
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 18/8/2009 6:20:41 PM   
losthighway

OK, so I was in HMV earlier and they had one copy left of Living Dead in Dallas (True Blood: Book 2) for £5.

I relented and bought it.  I then found out my mate is already reading it and so I now feel compelled to read it too (even though Season 2 is based on this second book and I said very recently I was going to be good and not ruin it for myself). Damn the cheap offer and the fact the first book appears to end halfway through a chapter!!!  I just know i'll have read the book before S2 hits the UK!

Oh and Corleone... well done!

(in reply to The Red Avenger)
Post #: 79
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 18/8/2009 6:46:55 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Don't do it, don't ruin it for yourself! The book can wait

Post #: 80
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 20/8/2009 7:18:26 PM   
Alabama

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shaunette_ofthe_Dead

My housemates & I got Sky in time for the catch-up TB weekend! :-D LOVING it; one of my geekier friends now has a weekly appointment at mine to watch the new eps.

Genuinely sexy, laugh-out-loud funny in places and all in all brilliant entertainment. I'm also thinking this is the best. Opening† credits. EVER. LOVE the theme song!!! Anyone know who it's by..? I can guess from the titles, but not sure...

The opening credits are so cool! I was convinced the theme song had to be Chris Issac as it sounds just like him but apparently its some rip off merchant called Jace Everett.

(in reply to Shaunette_ofthe_Dead)
Post #: 81
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 22/8/2009 8:30:35 AM   
HIM

Yay, Anna Paquin boobies!

Other than that I thought it was quite a slow episode really until the last third or so. I'll miss next weeks though as I'll be in New Orleans! Yay! I'll keep my eyes peeled for vamps.

(in reply to Alabama)
Post #: 82
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 22/8/2009 4:22:26 PM   
losthighway

Episode 6: Cold Ground

Easily the best episode of the season so far! Had a bleak menacing tone throughout and the Sam 'issue' should now be very obvious to folks!!??  Plus, they really have strayed far from the novel and so seeing all the new bits added-in is keeping my interest levels up. The only complaint I had about this episode was the sex at the end felt too rushed and Sookie running through the graveyard ready to de-virginised by Bill felt a little bit too cliche. However, liking the demon within Tara's mum being a good metaphor for alcoholism (although also a possible reality if you read the next episode synopsis! ), plus finally seeing Jason portrayed more closely to how he is in the novel. Roll on next week!

Sidenote: My mate has now read the second book and is halfway through book 3!! She says the second is really good - think i'm gonna have to start Dead in Dallas soon.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 83
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 22/8/2009 7:10:18 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

This episode was outstanding and the show just keeps going from strength to strength, I think I'm in love with Tara......and Sookies boobies

Well, the dog has to be Sam right? It's always sniffing around spying on people although we have seen Sam with the dog so I'm gonna take a wild guess that he can take the form of the dog.....although that's more sci-fi than deep south vampire so if that is what he is I wont be impressed.

Post #: 84
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 22/8/2009 11:28:22 PM   
losthighway

quote:

This episode was outstanding and the show just keeps going from strength to strength, I think I'm in love with Tara......and Sookies boobies

Well, the dog has to be Sam right? It's always sniffing around spying on people although we have seen Sam with the dog so I'm gonna take a wild guess that he can take the form of the dog.....although that's more sci-fi than deep south vampire so if that is what he is I wont be impressed.

SAM SPOILER - NOT BLANKED OUT!!!
If you recall in an earlier episode, Bill said that shapeshifters also walk the earth -Sam is one of them. The dog you saw with Sam is one he keeps around so when he does shapeshift, he has something to focus on and change into. Impressed???

< Message edited by losthighway -- 22/8/2009 11:30:55 PM >

Post #: 85
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 23/8/2009 2:29:04 PM   
davie_rfc

quote:

quote:

If you recall in an earlier episode, Bill said that shapeshifters also walk the earth -Sam is one of them. The dog you saw with Sam is one he keeps around so when he does shapeshift, he has something to focus on and change into. Impressed???

I gave in and read it That's it? Seriously? I was kinda hoping all the evidence was a red herring..not really fond of Sam as it is and this just means he'll probably get more screen time

"This whole festival was put together by twenty third-graders with lots of chutzpah and one panda!"

Post #: 86
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 23/8/2009 3:37:12 PM   
losthighway

quote:

I gave in and read it That's it? Seriously? I was kinda hoping all the evidence was a red herring..not really fond of Sam as it is and this just means he'll probably get more screen time

Argh, I really like Sam. More so than Bill tbh. Better get used to him, from what I can gather he's in Seasons 2 and 3 aswell!

(in reply to davie_rfc)
Post #: 87
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 23/8/2009 7:02:48 PM   
Zaphod121

Sam gets some really good story lines in Season 2.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

Post #: 88
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 23/8/2009 8:56:57 PM   
losthighway

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

Sam gets some really good story lines in Season 2.

Damn it! Now i'm just gonna have to read Book 2 aren't I!!!

Oh and Zaphod121...

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 89
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 23/8/2009 9:00:34 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

quote:

I do kind of remember that conversation although I thought Bill said *something along the lines of certain types of Vampires being able to shapeshift, I must have misheard....*

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI