Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

True Blood (FXUK Speed)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> True Blood (FXUK Speed) Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 18/7/2009 11:10:30 AM   
losthighway

So, I noticed there is another thread but folks seem to have already seen Season 1 so I thought i'd start this thread for those of us who are still TB virgins.

I have to say my overwhelming thought whilst watching the first episode was - where exactly is this going!? The quality which was seen from Ball in Six Feet Under didn't appear to be there (admittedly very different shows but this felt quite soapy at times). I was quite surprised by the explicit sex scenes and swearing as not sure what I was expecting but certainly not something as adult as it obviously is. I also found it quite funny at times.

Initial thoughts after first episode... it's Twilight for adults! I like it and i'll be watching the rest of the season.

< Message edited by losthighway -- 18/7/2009 5:13:05 PM >

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.
Post #: 1
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 18/7/2009 11:41:30 AM   
theoriginalcynic

Yeah the sex scenes were kinda off putting and not really needed.  It was almost like "look at me I'm a show for adults" The swearing didn't bother me as much.  I liked the first episode - obvious that the Vamp will rescue her at the start of ep 2 but it was a good start.  Her brother used to be in home and away? It's the same thing as usual girl in love with a Vamp but they managed to put a new spin on it. 

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 2
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 18/7/2009 12:02:03 PM   
ChickMagnet

I acquired it last week and watched it, whilst downloading a few more episodes, I was disappointed with the first one and has to be said I was put off by the sex scenes, but friends of mine who've seen the full first season say that it does get better as the season go on.

And good spot by cynic, the guy playing Sookie's brother is Ryan Kwanten, who used to play Vinnie in Home and Away.

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 3
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 18/7/2009 12:48:25 PM   
losthighway

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChickMagnet

I acquired it last week and watched it, whilst downloading a few more episodes, I was disappointed with the first one and has to be said I was put off by the sex scenes, but friends of mine who've seen the full first season say that it does get better as the season go on.

And good spot by cynic, the guy playing Sookie's brother is Ryan Kwanten, who used to play Vinnie in Home and Away.

Have to say his buttocks were quite the distraction! LOL!

I also thought the black waitress and chef were very funny together. I loved her 'don't fuck with me' attitude.

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 4
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 18/7/2009 3:54:38 PM   
davie_rfc

Really enjoyed the first episode...and I have to say, the nude scenes didnt really bother me at all  Anyone else think the bald vamp in the video will play a bigger part?

"This whole festival was put together by twenty third-graders with lots of chutzpah and one panda!"

Post #: 5
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 18/7/2009 5:14:11 PM   
losthighway

Yeah regarding vamp in video... I wondered that - will we have big boss style baddies for each season like in Buffy!??

(in reply to davie_rfc)
Post #: 6
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 18/7/2009 5:53:42 PM   
crayon

I was out last night, so didn't get to watch it.  Does anyone know when it'll be repeated?

I've read the books that the series is based on and have not been convinced by the casting of Anna Paquin when watching the trailers.  What was she like in the show?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.

I shall call him squishy, and he shall be mine, and he shall be my squishy!

Post #: 7
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 18/7/2009 6:25:44 PM   
The Hooded Man

Really enjoyed it, nice quirky characters and sets up mythology pretty quickly

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to crayon)
Post #: 8
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 18/7/2009 9:29:16 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Jesus what's with the anti sex posts?

Personally I don't mind them havin sex every week.

Good start to what I hope will be a solid show.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 9
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 19/7/2009 12:18:38 AM   
Grunny

I have read the first few books and seen season 1 thanks to blu ray import :) and I love the show and its a rare example of a show / film that better than the books.

If your put off by the sex scene you have alot more graphic ones to come - be warned!!... i watch this tv show with my mum she loves it

“People are strange, but more than that, they're good. They're good first, then strange.”

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 10
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 19/7/2009 12:17:24 PM   
losthighway

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

Jesus what's with the anti sex posts?

Personally I don't mind them havin sex every week.

Good start to what I hope will be a solid show.

For the record, I ain't put off by the sex scenes at all... I think I was just surprised by those scenes because I honestly thought True Blood was based on a series of novels aimed at teens, so I wasn't expecting it to be that full-on. As I've said, I guess with hindsight, I was expecting something more along the lines of Twilight... you know, but a bit more risque than Dawson's used to be - definately not the full on chained to the ceiling, etc, etc... LOL!

Anyways, more of Ryan butt naked every week will suit me just fine!!

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 11
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 19/7/2009 9:06:22 PM   
Winchester Bunny

I wasn't shocked by the sex scenes because I'd read that the guy from six feet under was making it and that was always more adult, but for some reason found the opening credits a bit disturbing I think it was the bit with the fox.

I agree it definately felt like twilight for adults. I wasn't too keen on the change in music everytime she started talking to the vamp guy. But it's definately different! so will give it a go

Are the books that graphic? or have they just stepped it up for the tv show? because I had been under the impression that it was a series of books aimed for teenagers.

Post #: 12
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 19/7/2009 9:19:36 PM   
Harley Quinn

I've not seen the episode yet. But the sex scenes are not that graphic in the book. The books are not aimed at teenagers either as far as I am aware. I buy mine from the horror section.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to Winchester Bunny)
Post #: 13
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 19/7/2009 9:27:26 PM   
jediwarrior

quote:

ORIGINAL: crayon

I was out last night, so didn't get to watch it.  Does anyone know when it'll be repeated?

It's on tonight (Sunday) at 10pm and again tomorrow at 1.10 in the morning so really very early tuesday morning

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to crayon)
Post #: 14
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 20/7/2009 7:59:34 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

I enjoyed the first episode, some great character stuff in there and certainly wasn't put off by the sex scenes. Definetly one to stick with.

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 15
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 21/7/2009 10:59:27 PM   
CORLEONE

No problem at all with the sex scenes

Enjoyed 1st episode. Love the whole Cajun country vampire thing. Reminds me of Near Dark. Good to see Vinnie from Home and Away turn up as Anna Paquin's brother!

Will stick with this.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 16
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 21/7/2009 11:09:27 PM   
theoriginalcynic

RE The sex scenes.  I was put off because I was watching it with my dad.  Alone viewing in future I think...

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 17
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 24/7/2009 5:54:20 PM   
losthighway

Anyone else looking forward to seein Ryan Kwanten's naked butt again tonight!!??

Roll on Episode 2!

Post #: 18
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 25/7/2009 10:46:37 AM   
Winchester Bunny

Thought it was good last night, improved on the previous episode. And the preview at the end for next weeks ep looked really good!

Post #: 19
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 25/7/2009 1:55:28 PM   
losthighway

Re Episode 2:

It's Twilight + Interview with the Vampire + Lost Boys all set in the Deep South.

Another very nice shot of Ryan ass but I have tbh, the explicit sex was actually the worst thing about last night's episode - it grated really badly with te tone for the rest of it.

I'm liking the vampire rules which are coming into play and it continues to keep me interested, but i do feel there is nothing new here and if anything, I'm thinking i'd really like to read the original source novel to see how different it is.

Best thing about last night's episode (apart from Ryan's ass!)... the news report with the preacher and the vampire - displayed wonderfully the metaphor for homosexuality/gay rights in the US (which is exactly what Ball said the show was about!).

Post #: 20
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 25/7/2009 8:33:47 PM   
davie_rfc

Is it wrong that I was more interested in why the dog keeps turning up rather than the three minute sex scene?

"This whole festival was put together by twenty third-graders with lots of chutzpah and one panda!"

Post #: 21
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 26/7/2009 10:37:32 AM   
HIM

quote:

ORIGINAL: davie_rfc

Is it wrong that I was more interested in why the dog keeps turning up rather than the three minute sex scene?

Did you also notice how the camera panned up and held on that painting of the dog stood next to little girl in Sookie's boss's office? There's definately something going on with dogs or that dog specifically. Does anyone else think it might be along the lines of Twilight's warewolves?

(in reply to davie_rfc)
Post #: 22
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 26/7/2009 12:18:38 PM   
theoriginalcynic

"I wanna do real bad things to you" I love the theme song! I'm hooked after episode two, Anna Paquin is mesmerizing on screen, the brother and the grandma are great characters,   I like it that it ends on a cliffhanger too, this week Sookie has come face to face with three vamps at Bill's place...
My new favourite show along with the excellent sons of anarchy. 

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 23
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 26/7/2009 5:43:22 PM   
Winchester Bunny

I wondered if they were hinting that the bar owner was changing into the dog. But I guess we'll find out eventually  And the other vampires definately looked very hard core vampirey in the next eps preview. 

Post #: 24
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 26/7/2009 7:46:25 PM   
Riddick_J

i hope there are no dog men in this, that would be kinda lame to me. Turning into wolves fair enough, but a dog not so much

I'm not saying i don't trust you and I'm not saying i do, but i don't.

Post #: 25
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 27/7/2009 11:32:06 AM   
losthighway

Hmm I never considered the dog angle, I just figured Bill was going to kill it at some point for its blood (and to take away his blood interest in Sookie). However, that definately sounds like a plausible option because he did tell her that a few of them can shapeshift... I'd say changing into an ordinary houshold dog is actually a good idea - easier to fool people than having some huge werewolf-like beast wandering around!

(in reply to Riddick_J)
Post #: 26
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 28/7/2009 3:10:36 PM   
losthighway

Bought this yesterday:

(£3.99 on play.com)

Post #: 27
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 28/7/2009 3:46:53 PM   
Caster

Quite disappointed so far.  It's just Twilight with more sex and violence.

Post #: 28
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 28/7/2009 3:54:04 PM   
HIM

One could argue that Twilight is in fact just True Blood with less sex and violence, seeing as the books that True Blood is based on came out before the Twilight saga novels.

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 29
RE: True Blood (FXUK Speed) - 28/7/2009 4:36:25 PM   
24Dan

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

One could argue that Twilight is in fact just True Blood with less sex and violence, seeing as the books that True Blood is based on came out before the Twilight saga novels.

Their both awful though.
2 episodes in and nothing interesting has happened.
The acting is awful,and there just seems to be sex in it to make it more adult.

Professional Analrapist

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> True Blood (FXUK Speed) Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI