Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Ryan Reynolds Is The Green Lantern

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Ryan Reynolds Is The Green Lantern Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ryan Reynolds Is The Green Lantern - 11/7/2009 3:13:55 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Well... - 11/7/2009 3:13:55 AM   
Noelg25

Can't say I was surprised...Thank God it was neither Justin Timberlake or even Nathan Fillion (seriously why does everyone think he is the best actor ever to walk the earth?). Let's the shooting of this film under way :)

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Well... - 11/7/2009 4:38:33 AM   
Dirty Hartigan

Relieved that it wasn't Justin Timbercrap, but Reynolds is getting far too familiar in superhero franchises. Still, a decent actor, so no complaints at all!

(in reply to Noelg25)
Post #: 3
Mmhmm - 11/7/2009 6:37:49 AM   
CUrraNT

Ryan is being greedy with his roles, Nathan Fillion should of got it, at least give the guy a chance.
I think he'd shine and suprise us all in a role like the Green Lantern... then again we always have 'The Flash' he could play.
Well done Reynolds for getting the part anyway, he's a fine actor, and no doubt be able to pull it off.

Post #: 4
- 11/7/2009 8:17:06 AM   
dctuck

He's a decent actor (at least it's not Timberlake...) but surely he shouldn't be "allowed" two superhero projects. If both Deadpool and this take off as franchises, it's going to get awkward (particularly if there's a Deadpool / Green Lantern cross-over!)

Post #: 5
- 11/7/2009 8:36:35 AM   
crazymoviesdude

One's DC, the other is Marvel, there won't be a crossover.

Post #: 6
Well... - 11/7/2009 9:29:56 AM   
Noelg25

There is no way you will see a DC/Marvel crossover in the movies...only happened once or twice in comics (so far as I can tell). But even if Reynolds did do Deadpool, can you imagine the battle between DC and Marvel to want to make sure their timetables don't clash?

Let's hope they don't take this one to court.

< Message edited by Noelg25 -- 11/7/2009 9:32:35 AM >

Post #: 7
RE: Mmhmm - 11/7/2009 10:45:13 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: CUrraNT

Ryan is being greedy with his roles, Nathan Fillion should of got it, at least give the guy a chance.
I think he'd shine and suprise us all in a role like the Green Lantern... then again we always have 'The Flash' he could play.
Well done Reynolds for getting the part anyway, he's a fine actor, and no doubt be able to pull it off.

Is there any bigger online stereotype than suggesting Nathan Fillion for absolutely any role that crops up?

Anyway

I like the idea of Reynolds. Would have preferred Ryan Gosling, but Reynolds oozes charm.

(in reply to CUrraNT)
Post #: 8
RE: Mmhmm - 11/7/2009 11:10:05 AM   
Rob

Very happy with this.  Reynolds is a very talented and charming actor.  I like Timberlake but thank god they didn't cast him as Hal.  With Campbell on board and now Reynolds it seems that DC / Warner Bros are taking this seriously and well they should,  it could be stunning if they get it right.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 9
RE: Mmhmm - 11/7/2009 11:19:47 AM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

Very happy with this.  Reynolds is a very talented and charming actor.  I like Timberlake but thank god they didn't cast him as Hal.  With Campbell on board and now Reynolds it seems that DC / Warner Bros are taking this seriously and well they should,  it could be stunning if they get it right.

That's the hard bit, but DC do tend to take more care with their property than Marvel do so fingers crossed.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 10
RE: Mmhmm - 11/7/2009 12:17:58 PM   
Mr Terrific

Not too bad. At least Ryan Reynolds will bring some charm and likability to the character.

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 11
Not Reynolds AGAIN! - 11/7/2009 12:41:15 PM   
darth silas

Seriously,the guy has played two Marvel characters on screen.Cant they get someone else to play Green Lantern? Bradley Cooper would be fine in the role as would Nathan Fillion.

Post #: 12
Yawn - 11/7/2009 12:58:29 PM   
jimoakley666

I'm just not all that into DC's catalogue of heroes. I mean, Batman (in the Dark Knight) is ace and Superman when done right (see All-Star Superman by Grant Morrison) is the dog's danglies but all the rest are rather... well... Shit.

Marvel have some fucking ace properties but DC's just seem a little too distant and I just cannot connect with them the same way I can with, say, Spider-Man, Iron Man or Cyclops.

Although Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier was bloody good but that was a completely different animal. That was Pulp nostalgia.

Post #: 13
RE: Yawn - 11/7/2009 1:09:34 PM   
kenada_woo

Would've preffered Bradley Cooper - seeing him go steller would be nice to see.

I think Reynolds has done a fair few comic book movies that he'll probably just be like he was in Blade Trinity/Wolverine but in a green costume.

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to jimoakley666)
Post #: 14
RE: Yawn - 11/7/2009 1:22:33 PM   
BishopQuaker

As much as I don't really want to, I'm going to have to watch X-Men Origins again as I can't remember "Deadpool"/Wade = Ryan Reynolds.

Perhaps not watching it with a bottle of wine this time might be a better idea.

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 15
RE: Yawn - 11/7/2009 1:36:47 PM   
Mr Terrific

quote:

I think Reynolds has done a fair few comic book movies that he'll probably just be like he was in Blade Trinity/Wolverine but in a green costume.

Hopefully the script is better than those films.

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

(in reply to BishopQuaker)
Post #: 16
RE: Yawn - 11/7/2009 2:22:59 PM   
BishopQuaker

It would almost take a lot of effort for the scripts to be worse surely?

(in reply to Mr Terrific)
Post #: 17
Deadpool - 11/7/2009 2:50:04 PM   
Yippekaiaye

I bet this means we dont get a deadpool film. Surely warners wont want him playing a marvel superhero and a D.C Hero. Bradley Cooper should have got it.

Post #: 18
RE: Deadpool - 11/7/2009 3:22:11 PM   
Mr Terrific

The first draft of the script is good apparently...hope they keep most of it.

Here is a brief review of it.

Click

(in reply to Yippekaiaye)
Post #: 19
RE: Deadpool - 11/7/2009 4:03:01 PM   
somekindof_battery

That's a cool casting choice in my opinion. Bradley Cooper might have been cool as well. Also, no thanks to Nathan Fillion. I don't see why people are obsessed with casting him as everyone in everything.

"I can beat you, I don't need the girl hahah, I DON'T NEED THE GIRL! I don't need the gun John. I can beat you. I DON'T NEED NO GUN! AND I'LL KILL YOU NOW!" - Unknown 17th century poet

(in reply to Mr Terrific)
Post #: 20
RE: Deadpool - 11/7/2009 4:12:13 PM   
hughjass

To all those folks who say 'Why Nathan Fillion?' whenever his name is suggested, it's becasue the guy has leading man potential and doesn't get chance to show it.

He may play extensions of himself on occassions but he has more charisma and charm that half the leading men in Hollywood. Having met him a few times, I can totally understand why the fangirls go wibbly for him. He is another actor like Bruce Campbell who may not have the sucessful leading man career that he should have done. For me, Fillion is ideal for a film like Drake's Fortune, because he can play that kind of role very well. To me, he and Reynolds are similar kinds of actor - they can both play the wicked glint in his eyes kind of roles.

To those critics of Fillion, I offer the counter question of 'Why not Fillion?' There are plenty of far worse actors out there - I'd take him as a lead over the likes of Orblando Looms any day of the week.

(in reply to somekindof_battery)
Post #: 21
Re: Yawn - 11/7/2009 4:21:18 PM   
Adrian

ok, just have to deal with mr marvel fanboy before anythign else. Cyclops? the self-satisfied smug git with the rose-tinted skigoggles is better than Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, Black Canary, Flash, Hawkgirl (Shayera - with real wings, not a wannabe with strapons like Kendra), Vigilante (aka Nathan Fillion), The Question? and how is Antman any better or worse than The Atom? DC has tons of great characters, just as Marvel does.

Post #: 22
proper comment - 11/7/2009 4:29:41 PM   
Adrian

Now then... I'm liking the choice... Brad Cooper could have worked well of course. he's shown his capability with both actioneyness and comedy... maybe the omminousness of the A-Team disuaded his hiring. Timberlake... well I'm glad he isnt doing it. But as said, Reynolds'll do well I think.

Post #: 23
RE: Deadpool - 11/7/2009 4:31:25 PM   
kenada_woo

quote:

Why not Fillion?
quote:

ORIGINAL: hughjass

To all those folks who say 'Why Nathan Fillion?' whenever his name is suggested, it's becasue the guy has leading man potential and doesn't get chance to show it.

He may play extensions of himself on occassions but he has more charisma and charm that half the leading men in Hollywood. Having met him a few times, I can totally understand why the fangirls go wibbly for him. He is another actor like Bruce Campbell who may not have the sucessful leading man career that he should have done. For me, Fillion is ideal for a film like Drake's Fortune, because he can play that kind of role very well. To me, he and Reynolds are similar kinds of actor - they can both play the wicked glint in his eyes kind of roles.

To those critics of Fillion, I offer the counter question of 'Why not Fillion?' There are plenty of far worse actors out there - I'd take him as a lead over the likes of Orblando Looms any day of the week.

Erm...he looks fat but he's not...and he's not been in a big film.  Both Cooper and Renyolds are better looking..and better actors haha.  Its more of a case of...

"Nathan who?"
"Guy out of Serenity..."
"Serena-what?"
"Firefly film"
"eh?"
"He was in White Noise 2?"
"White Noise 2?  That was shit!"

"Bradley Cooper?"
"Was in the Hangpover"
"Quality film that!"

"Ryan Renyolds?"
"Van Wilder?"
"Yep!"
"He's funny!  Smoking Aces was good.  Blade 2 was gash though..but he was good in it"

"Timberlake?"
"Who doesnt like Timerblake?  Nobody!"

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to hughjass)
Post #: 24
Quit your belly aching - 11/7/2009 4:33:51 PM   
FuzzyMcfae

Geoff Johns has made Green Lantern a hot property again so hopefully the film will take inspiration from his work. This film could set itself apart from the slew of other superhero movies as its essentially a space opera instead of the standard superhero fare. Reynolds is a fine choice and this role should fit him like a glove... or a green power ring. This could be great as green lantern is currently DC's best book on the stands, besides perhaps the Secret Six.

Post #: 25
RE: proper comment - 11/7/2009 5:51:44 PM   
somekindof_battery

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adrian

Now then... I'm liking the choice... Brad Cooper could have worked well of course. he's shown his capability with both actioneyness and comedy... maybe the omminousness of the A-Team disuaded his hiring. Timberlake... well I'm glad he isnt doing it. But as said, Reynolds'll do well I think.

It's bizarre that Justin Timberlake ever got considered for the role. Michael Fassbender would have been a good choice as well. He's more than got the acting chops, but as shown in 300, he can do the action stuff as well.

I think the next big question is who's going to play Sinestro and then after that we've got John Stewart, Guy Gardener and Kyle Rayner as well as Carol Ferris.

And is the film going to set up some of the current Green Lantern mythology like Blackest Night? It's a franchise which has loads and loads of potential for stories.

"I can beat you, I don't need the girl hahah, I DON'T NEED THE GIRL! I don't need the gun John. I can beat you. I DON'T NEED NO GUN! AND I'LL KILL YOU NOW!" - Unknown 17th century poet

(in reply to Adrian)
Post #: 26
Great choice - 11/7/2009 7:35:49 PM   
jeffamania

admittedly i was indifferent between cooper and reynolds...they are the next big stars!!
We need a real justice league movie with the real stars...i.e. bale, routh, reynolds....
Hey plenty of other characters Cooper could play i.e. green arrow, flash, aquaman
someone tell warner bros!!!

Post #: 27
- 11/7/2009 8:25:33 PM   
Ciaran McNulty

I'm delighted this film is getting off the ground. Green Lantern's my favouarte DC super and not well known outside the comics world when ya think about it (kinda DC's Ironman).
Feel really bad for Bradley Cooper though but if anyone's gonna pip him for the role, good old RR is the right choice. Also, as with Downey Jnr., his established star status and charisma will attract the unitiated to the movie house.

Post #: 28
RE: - 11/7/2009 8:58:48 PM   
davie_rfc

Was never a big fan GL fan but I really like Reynolds so I'll definetly be checking this one out

"This whole festival was put together by twenty third-graders with lots of chutzpah and one panda!"

(in reply to Ciaran McNulty)
Post #: 29
Deadpool and The Green Lantern?? - 11/7/2009 11:18:36 PM   
mullerweb

Ryan Reynolds is a very good actor and very entertaining - whether its a piece of work like The Nines, wise-cracking in Blade Trinity, or being the best thing in The Wolverine Movie with only the 3 scenes he had. But while the costume will be much different - won't the character be very similar? Eevn if one of them is a merc and the other a Crime Fighter? Would not one movie diminish the other? Perhaps an expert on Deadpool and The Green Lantern could enlighten me. Sometimes all it takes is different haircuts for characters to look different, if not sound different.

Paul.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Ryan Reynolds Is The Green Lantern Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI