Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Computer Backup

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> Computer Backup Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Computer Backup - 8/7/2009 5:58:15 PM   
gingerdaniel

Hello, thanks for coming, take a seat.

How do you backup your computer data? Burn to DVD, pop on an external harddrive, use an online solution?

I currently back everything up on an external harddrive (330gb Maxtor) intermitently, although recently i've noticed it's near it's limit and i need to address the situation! The harddrive on my macbook died recently, luckily i've got applecare and they replaced it, although i lost a few weeks data that i hadnt backed up.  I've seen apples time machine solution, but it's quite expensive, but then i suppose it's down to how valuable you see your data.

I've got around 40gb of itunes and loads of photos and videos i've made/recorded over the years. (I don't know if you know, but FAT32 is the file system that external drives use, and they can't handle files larger than 4gb, sometimes a pain for movies.)

So, what do you do? I'm looking for a new/better solution.

Do you run? Check THIS out
Post #: 1
RE: Computer Backup - 15/7/2009 12:37:32 PM   
igotnewlegs

quote:

ORIGINAL: gingerdaniel

Hello, thanks for coming, take a seat.

How do you backup your computer data? Burn to DVD, pop on an external harddrive, use an online solution?

I currently back everything up on an external harddrive (330gb Maxtor) intermitently, although recently i've noticed it's near it's limit and i need to address the situation! The harddrive on my macbook died recently, luckily i've got applecare and they replaced it, although i lost a few weeks data that i hadnt backed up.  I've seen apples time machine solution, but it's quite expensive, but then i suppose it's down to how valuable you see your data.

I've got around 40gb of itunes and loads of photos and videos i've made/recorded over the years. (I don't know if you know, but FAT32 is the file system that external drives use, and they can't handle files larger than 4gb, sometimes a pain for movies.)

So, what do you do? I'm looking for a new/better solution.

Hi Ginger, I've only just seen this and would be interested to see what others do (I suspect most users on here don't do it at all). Personally, I back up to external HDD like you but haven't done it in some time.

Have you found any better solutions since posting this?

Oh, and another question for you (its not worth starting another thread). I recently installed ubuntu on my ibm at home and although it managed to re-size my disk (I only had two partitions: XP and recovery) the partition its on is only big enough to just fit the OS on so I can't download many updates or add new programs. I've got about 50GB of space on C that I can give to this partition so do you know of a good free program that will perform this task? I've seen Partition logic while on my internet travels but do you know if that's good at resizing and re-distributing space?

In regards to partitioning what's your guide? How do you know how much room to give to each? When I upgrade next I'm gonna want to partition from the start (to protect data and to add other OSs) so it would be interesting to know how other people go about it.

< Message edited by igotnewlegs -- 15/7/2009 12:44:14 PM >

Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon.
Woody Allen

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Douglas Adams

(in reply to gingerdaniel)
Post #: 2
RE: Computer Backup - 15/7/2009 1:48:55 PM   
gingerdaniel

I've used Partition Magic before which was really simple to use.

Are you only using Ubuntu on it or is it dual boot with windows? I've pretty much guessed how much space to give different partitions, Windows XP only uses around 4gb, Windows 7 used like 11gb! This means however, that if you give a partition that's just big enough, it'll probably stall after a while. PageFiles and Temporary Files will get created while the pc's on and it'll cause the partition to run out of space and usually crashout. I'd give XP 10gb and Vista/7 20gb to be sure, but there's no reason not to leave a disk in one larger partition really.

So give partion magic a look, also, you could try googling ubuntu tools, i'm sure there's probably a linux tool you could use. Or make a windows 98 boot disk and run 'fdisk' in the CLI, then you could re-arrange the partitions before getting into the OS.

(in reply to igotnewlegs)
Post #: 3
RE: Computer Backup - 15/7/2009 2:23:27 PM   
igotnewlegs

quote:

ORIGINAL: gingerdaniel

I've used Partition Magic before which was really simple to use.

Are you only using Ubuntu on it or is it dual boot with windows? I've pretty much guessed how much space to give different partitions, Windows XP only uses around 4gb, Windows 7 used like 11gb! This means however, that if you give a partition that's just big enough, it'll probably stall after a while. PageFiles and Temporary Files will get created while the pc's on and it'll cause the partition to run out of space and usually crashout. I'd give XP 10gb and Vista/7 20gb to be sure, but there's no reason not to leave a disk in one larger partition really.

So give partion magic a look, also, you could try googling ubuntu tools, i'm sure there's probably a linux tool you could use. Or make a windows 98 boot disk and run 'fdisk' in the CLI, then you could re-arrange the partitions before getting into the OS.

Its a dual boot with windows. When installing Ubuntu from inside windows it gives you the option of resizing your primary partition. This is the first time I've bothered to partition anything on my own so it takes a little getting used to. My problem is when in Ubuntu the default storage space is on that partition so really I want more space for both OS files and other tools and files. So next question is, if you're saving, say, a movie on your HDD where do you save it? On one desgnated partition only or on the partition where your OS resides? Perhaps a better way of putting it: Do you store files and install programs where windows or other OS want to put it by default (my docs, program files on C etc.) or on a seperate partition?

What I liked about Partition logic was that it was a boot disk so it can be run before the OS kicks in. I'll have a butchers at Partition Magic and GParted later and see what they can do.

Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon.
Woody Allen

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Douglas Adams

Post #: 4
RE: Computer Backup - 15/7/2009 2:58:29 PM   
gingerdaniel

When you're logged into either system, you wouldnt be able to edit the partition they're running from. Normally they'll show up as being the 'system' partition. You can't change it as you're running from it.

I've got 3 physical disks in my pc and 4 partitions, originally due to network shares, one disk is windows xp(500gb), the other is windows 7(40gb) and the third disk(120gb) is split into two, one for music and one for video. By having seperate partitions, you have seperate index's's's which means finding files is generally quicker.  I share those two partitions along with a folder called photos (on the xp drive), so i can access my media from the xbox/other laptop/macbook. 

I deliberately partioned the video one so that i didnt overload my pc with video and then make it grind to a halt.  I usually make the odd video, create a backup then delete the raw footage. I don't usually clear it out until i've another project on though.

I keep photos in the 'My Pictures' folder in the usual documents folder, i periodically back these up. The music is in it's own partition, there's about 42gb of music in there which loaded onto my ipod/iphone and girlfriends ipod. Again, i like having these shares as i can stream the media, however the drawback of xp home is that i have to log into the pc for the shares to become active.  I have thought about network attached storage for streaming, but havent had the money for that. Yet....

Post #: 5
RE: Computer Backup - 15/7/2009 3:29:51 PM   
igotnewlegs

This will sound like a stupid question no doubt but if I want to install a linux compatible program but the ubuntu partition is full how do I do that? Baring in mind that roughly 7GB is recovery, 239GB is XP and 4Gb is Ubuntu.

How are you finding Windows 7? I've not had a chance to look at it (nor would it run on my current set-up I suspect) but what are the recommended requirements?

Writing all this is really making me want to upgrade ASAP!

Woody Allen

Douglas Adams

Post #: 6
RE: Computer Backup - 15/7/2009 3:45:21 PM   
shool

To back up my data I user a Netgear readyNas network storage box. I also use it to stream music and video to my TV

Its awesome. Plus its all backed up via X-raid mirroring.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

Post #: 7
RE: Computer Backup - 15/7/2009 4:06:26 PM   
gingerdaniel

quote:

ORIGINAL: igotnewlegs

This will sound like a stupid question no doubt but if I want to install a linux compatible program but the ubuntu partition is full how do I do that? Baring in mind that roughly 7GB is recovery, 239GB is XP and 4Gb is Ubuntu.

How are you finding Windows 7? I've not had a chance to look at it (nor would it run on my current set-up I suspect) but what are the recommended requirements?

Writing all this is really making me want to upgrade ASAP!

Just choose the windows partition, maybe make a folder on there called 'linux programs' so you don't mess any of it up while in windows. Just because different OS's are installed on different drives doesnt mean you cant use them. When logged into Ubuntu, the windows stuff is just a bunch of files on a disk. I think a seperate folder on there is probably the best way to go. I know i have XP and 7 on seperate partitions, that's because i didnt want a conflict in file structure.  When logged into 7, the XP files are just files, i could delete the lot!

7 is quite nice, i didnt like the idea of vista and it's requirements, i'm now running a 2x2.4Ghz/4Gb RAM machine which would indeed run vista, although i am still using the onboard graphics card. I'm still shopping for a PCI-E one.  The only issue i've had is that my logitech webcam isnt supported! 7 is supposedly built to require a less higher specced system, which is nice for people ready to upgrade. (I had a nice 512Mb graphics card for our family pc, but when i had to move and get a new pc, i took the card out, but forgot to check that the new pc's motherboard had AGP! It did not so i sold it on ebay).  There's a test (Windows Experience Index) you can run on vista/7 which gives your system a rating (on a scale of 1-7). Mine got 3.2, when i get my graphics card it'll be way higher.

My girlfriends work laptop runs vista business, and they put in 1Gb RAM.  It uses 700Mb RAM when sat idle! As soon as she opens Firefox and Word, it grinds to a halt! I told her to kick the technician at work in the shin and ask for more RAM. Which she now has.

Post #: 8
RE: Computer Backup - 15/7/2009 4:18:45 PM   
igotnewlegs

Cheers Ginger, that's cleared up a few things for me.

Woody Allen

Douglas Adams

Post #: 9
RE: Computer Backup - 19/11/2011 2:37:02 PM   
gingerdaniel

Since writing this in 2009 my setup has changed a little. I've still got the windows 7 computer, which is full to the brim with photo's i've taken/video i've done and all my itunes stuff (itunes folder is a tasty 150gb at the moment.

As the blurays i've bought have digital copies, i've sucked everything down to the win 7 pc, and now i sync my iphone off that wirelessly, thanks to the latest software upgrades.

My macbook now uses time machine to backup to a 500gb western digital passport job. The macbook was running out of space so i had to shift my itunes to the pc.
So, the macbook's backed up automatically. However the pc is not...

I've got my dad to buy himself one of THESE so he can store and share his content at his house across his network, as he's got a laptop/ipad/iphone to view content on, as has his girlfriend.

He's got the Stora with a 1tb drive, and there's space to put another to RAID them.

Has anyone else done anything similar with these networkable devices? Are they any good?

Post #: 10
RE: Computer Backup - 22/11/2011 12:03:48 PM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

To back up my data I user a Netgear readyNas network storage box. I also use it to stream music and video to my TV

I still use the above, although I'm thinking of getting Windows Home Server.

HP do a proliant microserver that is a nice fit for it, but it means forking out £100 for the hardware.

Streaming media direct to your TV is the main way I watch programmes these days and I'm no sure i could do without it.

[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 11
RE: Computer Backup - 22/11/2011 3:45:28 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

quote:

I still use the above, although I'm thinking of getting Windows Home Server.

HP do a proliant microserver that is a nice fit for it, but it means forking out £100 for the hardware.

Streaming media direct to your TV is the main way I watch programmes these days and I'm no sure i could do without it.

I wish I was a techie and could do cool stuff like that

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 12
RE: Computer Backup - 22/11/2011 3:56:39 PM   
elab49

Do you need a special TV for it or can you do it with any old TV?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 13
RE: Computer Backup - 22/11/2011 4:02:51 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I'm not the only one then

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 14
RE: Computer Backup - 22/11/2011 4:10:05 PM   
elab49

Nope.

I feel quite pleased I managed to set up Iplayer on the Wii so can view that on the TV, and I'll play stuff off of USB. But if I've DL a film on Itunes, it'd be quite useful to be able to watch that on TV.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 15
RE: Computer Backup - 22/11/2011 4:14:24 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Its all Star Trek to me. I've as much chance of linking my TV to anything beyond a DVD player that comes with a cable saying "link this to TV" as I have of beaming Scotty up and going into Warp Drive

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 16
RE: Computer Backup - 22/11/2011 6:34:13 PM   
gingerdaniel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Its all Star Trek to me. I've as much chance of linking my TV to anything beyond a DVD player that comes with a cable saying "link this to TV" as I have of beaming Scotty up and going into Warp Drive

Ha, you're like that customer type we call 'one D ten T's', but never to your face.

Post #: 17
RE: Computer Backup - 22/11/2011 9:09:22 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Nope, still lost

Post #: 18
RE: Computer Backup - 22/11/2011 9:17:53 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

Yep, I've got the PS3 set up so I can see my PC hard drive on it and watch any TV programmes I have on the computer

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 19
RE: Computer Backup - 22/11/2011 9:22:12 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Damn you all and your taunts.

Is that with leads or the power of the cloud?

Oh who am I fooling I'm gonna read a book.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 20
RE: Computer Backup - 22/11/2011 10:06:03 PM   
elab49

Since my Wii can access the network to play Iplayer do you know if it can pick up other PCs on the network like the PS3?

quote:

Post #: 21
RE: Computer Backup - 23/11/2011 10:38:01 AM   
shool

I wish I could draw a diagram easily on here.

Router connected to internet in my study upstairs.
Network cable running from router down to the living room. (Round the outside of the house, I got a cabling guy to do this for me.)
NAS Box in my study upstairs attached directly to the router with network cable. Nas box has built in Bittorrent client so I can tell my aunty can send programmes straight to it. (Netgear readynas at the moment but as said I'm thinking of upgrading to a Windows Home server due to my Microsoft indoctrination.)
Connected to my TV through HDMI I have a humax HD freeview box (HD-FOX T2) that also works as which also works as a network media player. This is plugged into the network cable running down from the study. You can equally use an Xbox, PS3 or a different brand of media player. (I used to have an Xtreamer that used to play anything but I sold it which i now regret.)

I hope this makes sense.

Now if you want to get really techy I've set up port forwarding on my router so that by typing in a specific web address it points to the bittorrent programme on my Nas box so i can set it to download programmes from wherever I am whether that be on a PC or my mobile phone.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 22
RE: Computer Backup - 23/11/2011 7:47:42 PM   
gingerdaniel

Yea i understand, so does the nas box have 2 or more drives? in order to backup?

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 23
RE: Computer Backup - 24/11/2011 10:57:53 AM   
shool

2 drives mirroring each other so if a drive fails the data is still in tact on the back up drive.

Post #: 24
RE: Computer Backup - 24/11/2011 6:08:22 PM   
gingerdaniel

quote:

2 drives mirroring each other so if a drive fails the data is still in tact on the back up drive.

How does it tell you if one of them has failed?

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 25
RE: Computer Backup - 25/11/2011 1:19:36 PM   
shool

Error logs. LED's and you can also get it to email you.

Also the last time it went down the unit actually stopped working until I put a new drive in, which was a major drawback at the time. Had new firmware since though so this may not still be the case.

Post #: 26
RE: Computer Backup - 25/11/2011 1:21:30 PM   
shool

Plus it has a utility tool which shows you all NAS drives on the network and their drive status.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 27
RE: Computer Backup - 7/12/2011 5:43:56 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Do you need a special TV for it or can you do it with any old TV?

In theory and practice you should be able to use a standard TV. When I visited Florida in August. I had an old laptop with an S-Video output. I simply connected the S-video cable from the laptop to the TV (which was a CRT type), but that only carries the video signal. So I connected the audio via the stereo jack on the laptop and the white and red audio sockets on the TV. The laptop runs XP so I was surprised it worked!

You can also get a VGA to RCA connector adaptor.

If you have a flatscreen TV, then it will have HDMI outputs on it, which will transmit both video and audio signals. You'll need a graphics card or laptop with a HDMI output though.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 7/12/2011 5:45:05 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 28
RE: Computer Backup - 7/12/2011 7:23:55 PM   
gingerdaniel

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

†Nope.

I feel quite pleased I managed to set up Iplayer on the Wii so can view that on the TV, and I'll play stuff off of USB. But if I've DL a film on Itunes, it'd be quite useful to be able to watch that on TV.

You could look at an appletv for streaming anything from your itunes library wirelessly(or download other firmware to stream other media)

I'm getting one for xmas! yahoo!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 29
RE: Computer Backup - 1/2/2013 10:53:25 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Giving this thread a bump as a I have a few questions.

My old PC was 100GB and as it got near to capacity (which took years!) I got a 250GB external Hard drive which ended up being almost filled with entirely new stuff. A new 500 GB PC from a few years ago is now almost half filled, and the external hard drive still contains all the same data as it used to. I have very little stuff stored on both PC and HD if one of them goes I'm screwed.

I've just been given a 1 TB external hard drive so I figured I might as well now use this as a backup, saving everything from my old hard drive and my current PC. But do I need to do everything at all or just the stuff I can't/would be troublesome to replace, photos, music, downloads etc. If I copy my entire C drive onto the new HD and then my PC blew up tomorrow, would I be able to replicate everything as it is now? Or would that be pointless and I should just go for what I don't ever want to lose.

Also, regardless of whether I copy everything or just some things, when it next comes time for me to backup, what's the best way to go about it? Replace everything or go about finding files and folders that have changed since last time?

You can probably tell I haven't much of a clue here

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 1/2/2013 10:54:21 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> Computer Backup Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI