Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Not enough real situations

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Not enough real situations Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Not enough real situations - 16/7/2009 3:06:31 AM   
spamandham

quote:

ORIGINAL: mysterious

..disgusting movie

Agreed.

It was fucking hilarious, Cohen is possibly the bravest performance artist I've ever seen. Best comedic (and envelope pushing) film I've seen in a long time.

One question though, did he use a cock double for the TV show test screening sketch or what?

(in reply to mysterious)
Post #: 61
RE: Bruno - 16/7/2009 10:13:30 AM   
paulyboy

Was never Borat's biggest fan truth be told and this was no different, it was merely ok. Now don't get me wrong, three or four brief moments (pilot show test being a prime example) are utterly inspired and insanely funny, but sweep those few minutes aside and you're not left with an awful lot beyond Cohen making endless quips about gay sex, none of which are particularly funny. I just don't personally feel that the routine as it were can sustain even a running time as brisk as 81 minutes.

That said as with Borat it would appear I'm in the minority, cinema was packed last night and people were practically crying with laughter, the film even managed a round of applause. Maybe it's me?

Conclusion:

There's a solid 15-20 minutes of comedy gold buried in here, sadly it's surrounded by nearly an hour of exceptionally hit and miss mediocrity.

2.5/5

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to spamandham)
Post #: 62
RE: Bruno - 16/7/2009 10:54:18 AM   
richCie

there was too much staged and after getting fairly excited by the slashfilm review there wasnt enough of the suggested documentary nature to it, namely we didnt get enough ordinary people reactions like with the Wrestling match which was the highlight of the film. it was when Bruno was exposing the reactions of some of the american people that the film worked best, the staged routines, especially the song at the end were dull and ultimately pointless.

there is however such a sheer number of gags that you can't help but laugh for at least most of the time,

alot of people who were at the showing i went to seem to have sickened by the gay sex which i suppose was the film doing the same for the audiences as it did for the people we are shown being confronted by homosexuality, though in a very in your face manner.

still the interview with the supermodel at the beginning was hilarious "and the turning! its so scary!" i do hope that was real

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 63
RE: Bruno - 16/7/2009 12:38:27 PM   
losthighway

quote:

ORIGINAL: richCie

there was too much staged and after getting fairly excited by the slashfilm review there wasnt enough of the suggested documentary nature to it, namely we didnt get enough ordinary people reactions like with the Wrestling match which was the highlight of the film. it was when Bruno was exposing the reactions of some of the american people that the film worked best, the staged routines, especially the song at the end were dull and ultimately pointless.

there is however such a sheer number of gags that you can't help but laugh for at least most of the time,

alot of people who were at the showing i went to seem to have sickened by the gay sex which i suppose was the film doing the same for the audiences as it did for the people we are shown being confronted by homosexuality, though in a very in your face manner.

still the interview with the supermodel at the beginning was hilarious "and the turning! its so scary!" i do hope that was real

Whether folks like the film or not then, it's good to hear that Cohen has done his job well, ie. to challenge and expose prejudice (whilst making you laugh at the same time!). I find it unbelieveably hypocritical by such people who are 'sickened' by such sights yet never consider that gay folk are frequently bombarded with heterosexual sex scenes on film/magazines/TV!  

The other thing I didn't mention in my review but wanted to say... I hope the DVD includes all the deleted scenes because I can imagine there are many - I know there was at least two scenes in the trailer that didn't make it into the finished film.

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 64
I would give it 3 1/2 - 16/7/2009 3:26:28 PM   
Death_Row_Marv

Yes it is funny in parts. Very very funny in parts. I it was a better film than Borat.
However. After the MTV awards its hard to work out what is real and what is not. Maybe it is all fake.
You can not help but feel that Cohen is far too smug for his own good when speaking to "normal" people in it.
What really annoys me is the fact they cut out the Jackson part. So its OK to offend some pople but not others. WHY?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 65
I would give it 3 1/2 - 16/7/2009 3:26:30 PM   
Death_Row_Marv

Yes it is funny in parts. Very very funny in parts. I it was a better film than Borat.
However. After the MTV awards its hard to work out what is real and what is not. Maybe it is all fake.
You can not help but feel that Cohen is far too smug for his own good when speaking to "normal" people in it.
What really annoys me is the fact they cut out the Jackson part. So its OK to offend some pople but not others. WHY?

Post #: 66
RE: I would give it 3 1/2 - 17/7/2009 4:15:26 AM   
spamandham

What was the jackson part about?

(in reply to Death_Row_Marv)
Post #: 67
RE: I would give it 3 1/2 - 17/7/2009 8:34:43 AM   
Tech_Noir

I would have liked to have seen more celebs. I'm sure Ben Affleck got an interview and had no idea who Bruno was. He went on Howard Stern and talked about this strange Austrian journalist and Stern then told him who he was.

(in reply to spamandham)
Post #: 68
RE: Bruno - 20/7/2009 5:32:14 AM   
boot

On the whole I found this dissapointing. It's not a patch on Borat and the main reason for this  - before getting into what was/wasn't staged or how a lot of the scenes are quite short because they just weren't working that well - is that Bruno, for me, just isn't that funny a character. In the original tv show the small clips worked pretty well just lampooning the fashion world, but moving outside of that I don't think he works. He's pretty much completely unlikeable whereas Borat was always somewhat loveable irregardless of his racist and luddite ways.

There was a few parts that were very funny but too often I was distracted by how staged so much of it seemed. Like the bondage scene in the hotel, far too many cameras shooting. What perplexes me sometimes about choices like that is: if you have set the scene up at least make it look like it isn't set up. Don't have camera's shooting the staff before they enter the room! That's just poor film making imo. This sort of thing distracted me too many times and took me out of the world of the film and thus I couldn't find a lot of it funny.

I couldn't help but notice that many of the scenes were very short. Maybe I'm mistaken but I don't remember such frantic editing in Borat or the feeling that they desperately scuttled together just enough to make a feature length, which is how I found Bruno.  I got the feeling that many of the scenarios just weren't that succesful, or as much as they'd have hoped. Like the scene where he sang the song with the Palasintinian and Israeli. It just wasn't funny, they barely reacted to him and it went on too long, without actually being lengthy.. I actually found the whole film dragged, yet it's barely over 70mins.

Cohen can be an hilarious comedian, but this was a very big let down for me.

1.5/5

Post #: 69
RE: I would give it 3 1/2 - 20/7/2009 6:22:30 PM   
admuz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Death_Row_Marv

Because he DIED you idiot.

(in reply to Death_Row_Marv)
Post #: 70
RE: I would give it 3 1/2 - 20/7/2009 8:06:23 PM   
boot

quote:

ORIGINAL: admuz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Death_Row_Marv

Because he DIED you idiot.

But it's ok to take the piss of the Isreali/Palestinian conflict where so many innocent people have lost their lives? He's pandering to the celebrity world by not having the balls to keep it in. Not very brave after all.

(in reply to admuz)
Post #: 71
Bruno - 23/7/2009 8:20:38 PM   
trueborndjross

Crude, offensive, disgusting...and pretty damn funny in places! Not a patch on Borat for a number of reasons. First, Borat was a likeable character - Bruno is not. Borat seemed like it was all (OK mostly) for real, even if it wasn't - a lot of Bruno feels staged. And it relies too much on cheap cock gags and stuff. Having said all that I still enjoyed it but I do wonder if Cohen has any more of this type of film in him.

Post #: 72
Borat # 2 - 23/7/2009 9:50:37 PM   
stevos

Absolutely hilarious. Barely stopped laughing, and it was guilt free compared with Borat! Not in the least bit original- almost a carbon copy of Borat- but funnier than said film, if less clever.

Post #: 73
Borat #2 - 23/7/2009 9:50:54 PM   
stevos

Absolutely hilarious. Barely stopped laughing, and it was guilt free compared with Borat! Not in the least bit original- almost a carbon copy of Borat- but funnier than said film, if less clever.

Post #: 74
Messed Up. But Still Hilarious - 25/7/2009 2:24:14 AM   
SlasherHorrorFan

A great comedy. Hilarious. Who would have thought of a talking dickhole? I'm sure alot of people are wondering why Sacha didn't get bashed at all. A great movie, although I find that Borat was better. I was happy with it and anyone who says that its an offensive or uncalled for are pussy little fucks that ruin it for everyone. A funny movie that anyone who has an extremely big crude, rude side to them, like me, will love this,. A big 4 stars deserved. "Ve are so much like ze Sex And Ze City girls"...

Post #: 75
RE: Messed Up. But Still Hilarious - 25/7/2009 11:46:04 PM   
MI Cruise

I heard that theres a snipped 15 rated version due to demand from the younger audience does anyone know what parts they may have cut out that gave it its original 18 certificate?

www.letterboxd.com/micruise1/films/

(in reply to SlasherHorrorFan)
Post #: 76
RE: Messed Up. But Still Hilarious - 25/7/2009 11:53:04 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: MI Cruise

I heard that theres a snipped 15 rated version due to demand from the younger audience does anyone know what parts they may have cut out that gave it its original 18 certificate?

90 seconds was cut from the 18 rated version. Not sure what exactly though. The BBFC website should tell you though.

EDIT -

Indeed it does -

This film was originally shown to the BBFC in an unfinished version. The BBFC advised the company that the film was likely to receive an '18' classification but that the requested '15' certificate could be achieved by making changes to three scenes. In particular the BBFC suggested that the company remove the majority of a montage of exaggerated sexual activity between Bruno and his boyfriend; Bruno comically miming fellatio and anilingus as he pretends to have oral sex with a deceased person with whom he is in contact through a medium; and sex between couples at a swingers' party and aggressive sexual dialogue at the same party. When this version of the feature was submitted these changes had been made and the film was classified '15'. A previous version of the feature was submitted without these changes and was classified at '18'.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 25/7/2009 11:55:23 PM >

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 77
Bruno - 30/7/2009 4:59:35 PM   
Tech_Noir

Great family film for all.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 78
RE: Bruno - 30/7/2009 6:59:55 PM   
kumar

Disgusting, crude and the plot is quite similiar to Borat. I havent laughed that hard at a film since Borat- the roof of the cinema nearly came off!!

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 79
No Point?.... - 30/7/2009 7:43:11 PM   
SonnyDaze

There IS a point to Bruno....to make people laugh 'till the cry. Certainly worked on me. Too many moments to pick out, although I must mention the big butch hard nut reduced to tears, courtesy of the genius set-piece towards the end....

Post #: 80
RE: No Point?.... - 2/8/2009 5:31:14 PM   
jrewing1000

After hearing so many negative reactions to this movie, I was very pleasantly surprised. I laughed outloud far more than I thought i would, the ending is absolutely the funniest thing I have seen in a long time.

Bravo Mr Cohen, I thought it was great. Didn't care one bit about the storyline, or the mixture of staged and improv moments. I thought he was so good in character it didn't bother me whether it was real or not. Did i mention the end? Holy Shit how did he get away with that?!?!?!?!

If you liked the tv show segments, you must see this.

(in reply to SonnyDaze)
Post #: 81
RE: Bruno - 3/9/2009 4:04:39 PM   
MI Cruise

[image]http://filmifriik.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/bruno_poster.jpg[/image]

Bruno is a funny movie, no doubt about it, the scene in the TV studio is great and so is the pilot for his TV show at the beginning. I wasnt laughing out loud all the way through but there always was a smile on my face, I've only see Ali G so I dont know anything about Borat but many people say Borats better so thats up next to watch. Cohen is an excellent comedian, and his assistant in the movie was very funny as well.
However I can understand that the comedy in this movie isnt exactly for everyone there were many people who thought this movie was filth and garbage, and they're entitled to their opinion, I on the other hand thought this was a stroke of comic genius, wonder what Sacha Cohen's gonna do next.

Overall Score - [image]http://empireonline.com/images/stars/small_3.gif[/image]

< Message edited by MI Cruise -- 3/9/2009 4:09:12 PM >

www.letterboxd.com/micruise1/films/

(in reply to Paul2j)
Post #: 82
Vassup? - 8/9/2009 10:07:44 AM   
THE DALTONATOR

Bruno is crude, rude, disgusting, outrageous and eye wateringly hilarious!
Sacha Baron Cohen IS the worlds most fearless comedian from insulting terrorists and adopting african babies there is NOTHING he wont do. You come out not just shocked but in disbelief that he would do what he does. There is crossing the line and then...what Sacha Baron Cohen does! this film may offend people and make people want to vomit into their popcorn but it is undeniably one of the funniest comedies to come around this year and perhaps of any other year. From Dar five to hilarious lines and the dove of peace chartiy track this film pushes the line and literally takes your breath away from being so howlingly hilarious

Post #: 83
Hit and Miss - 9/10/2009 6:30:48 AM   
CIRVIRUS64

Agree here with Damon's 3-star rating. It's hit and miss for me. An absolutely hilarious first half hour, but the outrageous gay jokes run out of steam soon after that.

Post #: 84
Funny Warped Ride - 14/11/2009 2:43:14 PM   
joanna likes films

Bruno is a disturbing but very funny film to watch. It's very in your face and for a short while, you are taken in a world where anything goes, featuring known celebraties appearing now and then while having some eye watering jokes. I have to say my fave scenes are the talkshow and where Bruno went to the army. Is it worth seeing? Yes, don't take it too seriously and just check it out without thinking a lot.

Post #: 85
Hit and miss? No, just hit - 30/11/2009 3:43:44 PM   
Smootle

The reviewer must have seen a different film to me. Every scene in this film is brilliant and hilarious. Like many critics he intellectualizes Borat and therefore slags off this film because it doesn't offer up as many underlying ideas and concepts - such as the fear of the other, xenophobia, whatever. That may or may not be true but this film is a comedy - pure and simple. It WILL make you laugh your butt off, and if it doesn't then you're just plain weird. I'm not saying there's nothing to be debated here - there is, but don't get caught up in all that rubbish. See it for what it is - a brilliant, well put together movie. Oh yeah and the ending is phenomenal.

Post #: 86
RE: Bruno - 6/5/2010 1:18:16 PM   
flushedgordon

quote:

ORIGINAL: jncorbett

Looks rubbish. If people hadn't seen Borat, they knew from the publicity what it was about and so there would be no way they couldn't see Bruno coming (ba-zing!!!)

easily one of the worst films ever made

(in reply to jncorbett)
Post #: 87
Bruno - 8/5/2010 2:42:57 PM   
mymatebone

I really do enjoy seeing people squirm with awkwardness on subjects such as religion and homosexuality especially in the United States which is advertised as the country of the free and people died to allow them to be free but then the same people who demand that right don't want it for others because they use it for other reasons such as instead of owning a gun and striking the fear of god into people they chose to party and lay with that of the same sex. So when Bruno comes along to strike the awkwardness into the sterotypical "redneck" image it makes me laugh. Such as the one scene when he is with three "dook our jobs" kind of looking fellas and compares them to the Sex and the City girls. I thought that was brilliant. But for a lot of people its just crude humor for the sake of it and there is a few scenes for that. But its a good laugh but for a target audience and not everyone. Think three stars is too good but two stars is too little so will settle for three stars

Post #: 88
- 28/1/2011 3:08:41 PM   
AntGC

After seeing Borat i had to see this and im glad I did.
I know this film will never be loved by everyone because most of this films jokes are made about religion, language and race

But hey i loved every minute, How do they get away with it?

Post #: 89
Brüno Review - 14/12/2011 9:17:51 PM   
the film man

Crude and offensive, but with ample cultural insights and gut-busting laughs, Bruno is another outlandish and entertaining mockumentary from Sacha Baron Cohen.

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Not enough real situations Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI