Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Hughes Horror Collection

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Hughes Horror Collection Page: <<   < prev  85 86 [87] 88 89   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 11/12/2011 7:21:22 PM   
HughesRoss

FILM: Escapee STARRING: Dominic Purcell,  Faith Ford, Carly Chaikin, Melissa Ordway,  Kadeem Hardison, Scott Elrod DIRECTED By: Campion Murphy RUNNING TIME: 1 hr 33 mins  

CERTIFICATE
 Best DVD cover of the year for me goes to Escapee.  Now when I say that, I do not mean for its wonderful artistic imagery and the stunning thought that has gone into it, but because of the obvious sell it aims for.  Let me explain!  On the cover we see shaven head Dominic Purcell in a yellow prisoner suit and with cell bars behind him.  Even the title Escapee cries out that this is going to be one kick ass prison flick.  Now what is the problem I hear you ask unless you have already guessed? You see Purcell was one of the brothers in the highly acclaimed TV show Prison Break (see where I am going with this?)  a show that was launched on the back of the success of 24 and to its credit the very first season more than kicked the backside of Jack Bauer.  But when the "Prison Break" actually happened there was nowhere else for the show to go and the writers stretched out some idiotic plotlines that quickly made the show be cancelled after only four brief seasons.  The idea to scrap the show had many fans in America and Britain scream in despair and since then Purcell and his co-star Wentworth Miller have struggled to find another show to build on the promise they shown and this brings me now to this film and of course that cover!  Its a plain in your face obvious ploy to drag in all the heartbroken Prison Break fans to buy this film and you know what?; that makes me laugh out loud at the thought because there will be many who will fall for this cheap marketing scheme and I would love to see their face when they put the film in their DVD and press play. If they are expecting a Prison Break style thriller then they are in for a huge shock, because another thing I should mention is that the DVD cover gives out an impression of a total different film.  Imagine my surprise when after 15 minutes of running time that I realised that what I was watching was in fact a horror film.  Yes guys! and not just any horror but a slasher film, so you can imagine the feeling of emotions that was running through my horror veins.  Sadly though that was the one and only time I showed any feelings towards this film because after I got over the initial shock I soon realised that Escapee was another lame horror film that failed to light up my horror life! 
We start off with some flashes of a girl being murdered and hung before we fixed to the usual group of pretty teens and this time we are with psychology major Abby Jones ( Christine Evangelista), for this cliche ride.  Abby and her class are on an observation trip in a local mental hospital where just as it is in all horror films a vicious bogyman is being transferred.  This time its not Michael Myers but Harmon Jaxon (Purcell) a man who takes great delight in killing pretty girls.  When the group and this evil bastard crosses paths the guards tell the group to face the wall and do not make eye contact but Abby stupidly ignores this (well she has too otherwise there is no film) and as soon as their eyes meet, Jaxon immediatly gets obessed and tells her he is going to "have her!".  Showing the ease he never managed to in Prison Break, Jaxon (a riff of the name Jason) escapes from the hospital and along with the usual straight to DVD weather storm heads off to find his new prize Abby and to kill a few people on the way!

Purcell to his credit does a real good job playing the nut job even though he dons what seems a ridicolous wig and while I would like to say that this is a dire film, there is something quite watchable about the whole thing.  There is enough gore to keep the horror fans happy and the serial killer angle may do enough to please those who like that sort of stuff in their films especially as the film contains a neat and unexpected twist coming towards the end.

Yes I have seen better, damn guys you probably have also,  but if you love cheap and lazy horror films then this is a perfect weekend rental and if you are a fan of Prison Break and most importantly Purcell then you will no doubt lap this up and with a cover like that-how can it not seduce you?

2 OUT OF 5

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 2581
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 11/12/2011 7:25:29 PM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Not heard of Rare Exports. Looks good!

Hughes is spot on (as usual) Rare Exports is a brilliant little film, a festive treat.

Yes, always.

Post #: 2582
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 11/12/2011 8:13:48 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: HughesRoss
My main problem with the film that it may be just too tame for those who love their horror full of gore,  yes we do get moments of pure horror but there are only brief glimpses, this.  

A true horror fan would appreciate all the nooks and crannie of the genre, wouldn't they?  If they only like one sub-genre of it, that's not the films fault.

ISPOILERS

And with that, I found eg the dolls left in the bed really quite horrible. I thoroughly enjoyed, it's just a pity they left it pretty much the full year till Xmas rolled round to release the DVD. Is the original short included on it, do you know?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 2583
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 11/12/2011 8:51:11 PM   
HughesRoss

Thanks Impqueen.

Elab....Great point!  What I meant was aimed at the new generation, you know the ones I call the Saw generation.  I can show you one or two emails I had who disagreed with my score and one called it a pile of shit!"...which made me weep!

Horror these days is dumbed down for cheap scares and an easy sell.  They are even re-making Amercian Psycho for goodness sake which will probably not have the restrain and wit of the classic original.

Rare Exports for me was a wonderful treat and I fully agree with those dolls which I should have mentioned and I am ashamed not too.  That was a real good touch and the film deserves the plaudits it is getting, I have to be honest and say that the film lost a five star rating because I just wanted it go a little bit darker......but that is just me and its only a small complaint really.

As for the short, I dig out my DVD and take a look, to be honest I did not check or even notice!

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2584
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 11/12/2011 9:07:40 PM   
MartinBlank76

Ha! Its almost like Purcell just turned up for that photo shoot wearing his ol Prison Break costume.

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 2585
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 24/12/2011 12:40:17 PM   
HughesRoss

FILM: Kill List (2011)
DIRECTOR: Ben Wheatley
WRITERS: Ben Wheatley, Amy Jump
STARRING: Neil Maskell, Harry Simpson, Myanna Buring, Michael Smiley
CERTIFICATE 18;
RUNNING TIME: 95 minutes

OUT BOXING DAY TO RENT AND BUY!

Hughesy's Verdict!

I feel quite wrong to be doing the review of Kill List for the DVD release when our very own David Gillespie summed it all up perfectly in his Cinema review which you can read by clicking on the link below. What I loved about his short but wonderful review is that it sums up why at times "Less is better!".  He carefully not mentioned anything about the direction of the film just how it left him shaken and disturbed and while he give a few little hints in what to expect, not once did he manage to put a thought into your head about how this film pans out.  I like many who read his review and had not seen this remarkable British film, I went in not knowing what to expect, yes I may have had a slight idea that it was about a man was going to do "one last job!" and like all british gangster films it goes wrong, but oh boy!, this is not the way I expected.

Kill List is probably the best film of 2011.  There be loads that may argue with me especially with the likes of Drive and Lets Talk About Kevin winning massive critical and fan acclaim, but no other film this year has sucked me in with feelings of despair and in the words of David himself "left me shaken" like this film managed too.  Also and this is a bold thing to say but because I have watched the film at the tail end of this year, I very much doubt that I see a better film than this in the year 2012.

So why such high praise?

Well the film is just faultless.  Even from the off you get a scent of impending doom that you just can not escape from.  The film starts with a vicious argument between a married couple Jay (Neil Maskell) and Shel (Myanna Buring) who have fallen on hard times due to Jay's inability to work due to a bad back which was caused after a terrible incident in Kiev over eight months ago.  We are told that the incident involved a botched killing that Jay and his partner in crime  Gal (Michael Smiley) some how done in their roles as assassins.  With no money coming in and bills piling up, the stress is evident and yet despite the brutal arguments you get a feeling that is the best its going to get for the young couple.

We then get to a dinner party which Gal and his new girlfriend arrive and we get even more dialogue which plays out more like a hard core soap opera and there will some viewers who start to question the praise that this film generates.  Yes, the whole opening half is heavy on the talk but then those who saw Director's Ben Wheatley's debut film Down Terrace will know what to expect because the beginning of this film and the majority of his previous share the same blue-print.  But what I loved here is the sudden jolt that hits you between the eyes that makes you sit up and question the whole show.  Now like David I am not going to go into any spoilers here, so all I say is when someone looks into a bathroom mirror and then decides to do a bit of artistic work, your mind will blow especially with the spooky soundtrack that ripples through the surround stereo and into your spine that sends chills to your brain.

Jay agrees to go back into the business and a kill list is born.  The screen flashes big white bold writing against a black backdrop to inform us who is next on the list and we get to see first hand into how much of a bunch of bastards these two are.  There is one kill scene that will leave your breathless and I mean gasping for breath.  It involves an hammer and a poor unfortunate victim that is so brutal it is the horror scene of the year.  I recently voted for the bed sheet in Paranormal Activity 3 as the best of 2011 and it makes me feel so ashamed because I sat there open mouthed at the brutal efficiency  being displayed on screen, I felt horror like never before and I realised that I was watching something really special here.

But then after that set-piece you still do not know what is coming.  The film follows in the path of the likes of Dusk Till Dawn and Mann's The Keep in which we start with one genre and then jump to another.  Like the mentioned two films the final half is all about the horror and no one will see the sudden turn of pace that will leave you spinning in awe.  Yes the film does give you hints before the big showdown, we have a dead rabbit found in the garden, a cat being hanged outside the house and even more bizarre subtle clues but even then you can not grasp what you seeing,  The shift in tone is powerful and downright scary and there is a echo of Jack Starrett's Race With the Devil, to it all!

Wheatley is a man who really does have talent behind the camera and this excites me because I really can not wait to see what he offers in his third film.  Will it get any better than this?  I very much doubt it because Kill List is a tour de force of film making, a masterpiece that British cinema should be proud of.  Not only is this now my film of 2011 but it also enters my list of best films of all time chart, such the impression this left on me. 

A totally unmissable masterpiece of family turmoil/thriller and horror!  Seek it out now!

5 out of 5
 MERRY CHRISTMAS GUYS, HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A GOOD ONE!

(in reply to MartinBlank76)
Post #: 2586
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 24/12/2011 2:25:47 PM   
HughesRoss

FILM: Final Destination 5 (2011)

DIRECTOR: Steven Quale

STARRING: Nicholas D’Agosto, Emma Bell, Arien Escarpeta, Miles Fisher

RATING: (15)

RUNNING TIME: 92 minutes

OUT BOXING DAY TO RENT AND BUY
 Hughesy's Verdict!

You know its very hard to now write a review of a Final Destination film!  The reason being is that we are now on the fifth chapter of a very popular horror franchise which lets be honest has never really changed its blue print way back from the 2000 original that caused such waves.  Every sequel follows the same path, we have a major incident where everyone dies in a gruesome manner, the film then shows that a person has had a premonition of said disaster and manages to save a selected few before it happens.  Then months later, the Grim Reaper arrives to finish off the job and its up to that "one person!" to figure it all out before everyone dies. Its a storyline that should have become tiresome way before we hit the third sequel but amazingly each film takes more at the box office and so the studio green lit the next film and its a vicious circle that will not end until one of these films actually flop.

The moderate box office takings in America was a first clue that maybe and finally the wheels are beginning to fall off but before those sick of the franchise jump up in joy, the film took a massive amount of money in Europe and at the moment the 6th film is in planning stage which will thrill the hardcore fans.  So its for them that this review is done different because I am one of those who got tired of all this when the third film ended so I am going to judge this film on the last film that this follows on.

The Final Destination (which was called that because it was supposed to be the Final one but of course money talks and now its simply called Part 4 in my mind).was a muddled mess.  It really felt tired and weak with hardly no imaginative death scenes and it seemed all the energy and thought went on the 3D angle.  For all the fans who simply want to know the answer to one simple question then I will tell you...Final Destination 5 is a better film.  It has a good storyline with better death scenes and even the beginning with the doomsday death scene, while again coming across "same old" does contain a few good death scenes that had me smiling.

We start with a a group of co-workers heading off on a bonding weekend trip driving across a suspension bridge.  Sam (Nicholas D’Agosto) is the guy you know that will soon wake up and relive it all over again but the set-piece is saved thanks to an energetic tone that does leave you smiling.  Death by hot tar, Sailing Boat mast, limbs flying about, its all played out with wonderful glee by debut director Steven Quale who seems to be enjoying himself behind the camera.  Of course once we see the vision end and Sam warns the gang that "something bad is going to happen!" only a selected few believe him and when the accident does take place before their very eyes, they are actually relived that their friend saved the lives of them all.

Enter Tony Todd (a frequent franchise regular) who tells them they are all going to die anyway and soon Death returns and its here the horror dumb crowd will be in their element.  Yes this time the deaths are what is best described as black with a comedy heart but the trouble with these films is that the film is like watching You Been Framed in which you are just waiting for the "Fall" to happen!  The plot in between the murders is bland and I like many others will just switch off doing what can only be described as the boring scenes.

When the "fall" arrives then this film sets itself up to be better than many of the other sequels before.  The laser eye set-piece is wonderfully played out and the writers have taken great delight in playing with the viewers expectations.  What you think may happen does not quite work out like that and it made a refreshing change but its when the plot takes itself onto the path of deranged friend turned Murderer that it becomes all rather silly!

One thing that does the film well is the nasty and I mean nasty twist ending that was a welcome surprise.  I kind of so it coming due to a few clues throughout the film but in the back of mind I was like "Nah, they not that clever!" and to see it played out in front of me was brilliant.  I know there be a few who will be damn right stunned at the closure of this film and in some ways brings the whole franchise to a full circle.  If it ends now then Final Destination 5 will be a perfect fitting to end a much loved franchise but we all know this is not going to happen and maybe one day they won't bother with a plot and just have a clip show of poor victims getting mauled and killed in grisly fashion- You've Been Reaped anyone?.......

FINAL THOUGHTS!......

Much better than the dire 4th but the storyline is now stale like the entire franchise.  Some really good imaginative death scenes and a brilliantly played out final twist raises this 5th film above its previous sequels and die hard fans will love every single second of it!

3 OUT OF 5

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 2587
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 29/12/2011 1:38:26 AM   
HughesRoss

FILM: Hostel Part III

STARRING: Starring Brian Hallisay, Kip Pardue, John Hensley, Chris Coy, Skyler Stone, Sarah Habel, Thomas Kretschmann

DIRECTED BY:  Scott Spiegel

WRITTEN BY: Michael D. Weiss and  Eli Roth

RATING: 18

RUNNING TIME: 88 Minutes

Out Now In America on DVD and Bluray

Out January 23rd In Great Britain on DVD and Bluray!

HUGHESY'S VERDICT!

Its been a long time coming especially with what seems 500 chapters of Saw, but the film along with Jigsaw that started the noughties obsession with all things gore-porn is back and it feels like its never been away.

With creator and writer Eli Roth stepping away from the director's chair after a well received original and a much panned sequel, Roth this time serves as a co-writer with the franchise being handed over to Scott Spiegel, a man who brought a wonderful film into my life.  Its well known among slasher fans that the late 80's flick The Intruder is probably the last great slash of the boom cycle that went bust when that decade ended.  Spiegel seemed like a talent that was to go on to bigger and better things but since then the only film he has done was the poorly received Dusk Till Dawn sequel even though its not as bad as many make out.  The truth is Spiegel deserves another go and with Hostel having a well established fan base, for me personally it seemed a perfect fit and one that made this second sequel a much curious and anticipated film.

If you wondering why Hostel III missed you radar at the cinema then do not panic because you not going blind, it seemed in a bizarre way that the studio did not have much faith in this franchise performing at the box office despite horror fans waiting for a new film for a long time.  They financed the deal for the film but decided to put it on the straight to DVD route which many years ago would have suggested that the film is not that good.  Well over the years with the likes of House Of The Devil and numerous others finding love and critical acclaim on this market, then what I say is do not be too judgemental that Hostel III is going to suck.

But then that is what I did in the first five minutes of the film.  First impression?  Well I thought it was going to suck!  Seriously it started in a fashion that had me sigh.  We saw a young man walking into a room only to interrupt a half naked foreign lady who apologises for not having left the room yet.  Fans will recall this scene from the original and when her husband comes from the bathroom and starts to act not very normal, its safe to say that you know what is coming.  At this particular moment I was thinking of the poor acting on display and how cheap the whole thing looked.  I was worried and thought that the franchise was heading into the path of all other cheap straight to DVD gore porn flicks that jumped on the Hostel market but then what is the saying?  Do not judge a book by its cover! 

The opening is clever, a very good ploy perfectly set up to be misleading and while I was still shaking my head at the way I was fooled we then see the credits roll and the camera pans outside to reveal that we were in fact in the land called Las Vegas and not some backyard foreign country where the first two was set.  The Elite Hunting Club members are back in business but why board a plane when you can hack the limbs off at home.   It was another twist on what could have been a tired formula but hats off to Roth and his fellow writer Michael D. Weiss for injecting much needed fresh formula and I am happy to say that many times in this film this happens.  The misdirection is outstanding and its wonderful to see and feel in a film which budget is cut and you can see at times the low standard effects that come with films of this nature.

But its the plot that will keep you entertained even though it may piss off the diehard fans of the franchise.  The entire formula is changed when it comes to the deaths even though we do get the now established first half of a gang going on holiday.  This time around the show is all a bit like the original Hangover in which we see four boys travel to Las Vegas for the mother of all stag nights. 
If you have watched the two films endlessly then you know what happens, Carter (Kip Pardue), Justin (John Hensley), Scott (Brian Hallisay) and Mike (Skyler Stone) all set off, they have a few drinks meet up with some hot girls only for there to be an air of dread.  Three of the guys wake up in the morning and realise that Mike is missing and they try to find him which of course results in a bloodbath and mayhem.

It may seem the same old from reading but believe me like I said there is enough twists and surprises that make the watch enjoyable.  Moving the location loses that eerie feel that served the first two films well and I kind of missed those back alleys and a sense of an alien place especially with those gang of boys missing from the piece and then even the joys of killing angle is replaced here with it now being all about gambling and not rich men getting their kicks by killing for fun.

What stunned me is that its not so much gore-porn than the previous films especially because we only have four kill scenes which bloodhounds may find rather lame.  I did not think too much of this at the time because I was having too much fun, but there will be many who will put their noses up in the air because they will be expecting a bloodbath!

Yes the changes may infuriate fans but then many criticised the sequel for being a rehash and so how can they complain now when the third offers something different.  I am not going to say this is the best film of the year its not even the best straight to DVD of 2011, but it is a much better than I and many will expect.  It does go rather silly towards the end but its a fun silly and while it loses a bit of respect for not finishing on the dark note that it hinted for a short while, Hostel III serves the franchise well for what I hope is now the last time, because while I enjoyed this for what it was, I hope that in two years time I won't be reviewing part 5,6 and 7 because this is yet another horror series that does not deserve to be milked for all its worth.

3 OUT OF 5

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 2588
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 29/12/2011 8:18:12 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

A third one? Weren't the first two bad enough?

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 2589
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 31/12/2011 11:50:14 AM   
HughesRoss

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

My main problem with the film that it may be just too tame for those who love their horror full of gore,  yes we do get moments of pure horror but there are only brief glimpses, this.  

A true horror fan would appreciate all the nooks and crannie of the genre, wouldn't they?  If they only like one sub-genre of it, that's not the films fault.

ISPOILERS

And with that, I found eg the dolls left in the bed really quite horrible. I thoroughly enjoyed, it's just a pity they left it pretty much the full year till Xmas rolled round to release the DVD. Is the original short included on it, do you know?

SORRY ELAB, FORGOT TO CHECK!

Just did for you and sadly there are no extras which is a real big letdown.

Just checked the R1 release and yes, the American's are bursting with extras to look at.  Sadly all we got is the film...the R1 has the short film, a doco and also another short film......

I hope that helps!

Happy New Year btw

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2590
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 22/1/2012 1:54:17 PM   
HughesRoss

FILMThe Theatre Bizaree Cast Udo Kier, Guilford Adams, Suzan Anbeh, Lindsay Goranson, André Hennicke, Kaniehtiio Horn, Lena Kleine, Catriona MacColl, Victoria Maurette, Virginia Newcomb, Debbie Rochon, Tom Savini, Melodie Simard

Directors Douglas Buck, Buddy Giovinazzo, David Gregory, Karim Hussain, Jeremy Kasten, Tom Savini, Richard Stanley
Rating18 Running Time114 Minutes What Is It All About: A part of the French Pyrenees crosses paths with a lustful witch; A paranoid lover faces the wrath of a partner who has been pushed to her limit; The Freudian dreams of an unfaithful husband blur the lines between fantasy and reality; The horrors of the real world are interpreted through the mind of a child; A woman addicted to other people's memories gets her fix through the fluid of her victims’ eyeballs; And a perverse obsession with sweets turns sour for a couple in too deep. But as the stories unfold, something strange is happening to the woman. Something irreversible and horrific. Something that awaits its next audience in THE THEATRE BIZARRE. THE HUGHES VERDICT                                                                                                                            Anthology horror has been more miss than hit these days in the film world.  Ever Since the 1941 classic Dead Of Night told viewers a few short tales of terror, many have followed in their own style and vision but the genre has never been what you could say box office gold with many of the films bypassing the big screen and heading for the straight to DVD path.  The recent Trick R Treat is a prime example, visually strong and with a strong cast that included Anna Paquin and Brian Cox, the film was largely ignored despite it having a great central character and four wonderful tales. While 1972's Tales Of The Crypt is held with much affection more so thanks to a successful TV show, it is the 80's flick Creepshow that many hold up as the one to beat.  By some twist of fate I actually sat down and watched that George A.Romero film only a few days ago and while my childhood memories will never dim the love I  have of that flick even I must admit that its dated horribly and modern fans who have never seen it will probably laugh at the whole show.  Its safe to say then that a genre which could be full of rich woven stories is severely lacking in quality and new material but that may be all set to change thanks to the arrival of The Theatre Bizarre, an odd surreal horror flick that is destined to find love for many out there. We start with a girl who looks from the off that she is losing her mind.  She stands in her small  apartment and frantically paces the floor while scribbling demented images on the four walls that surround her.  Her name is Penny (Virginia Newcomb) the lead character who brings all the tales of terror to us thanks to the moment she looks out of the widow and sees a rundown theatre across the road which seems to be calling out to her.  Penny who never says a word throughout the running time goes across to this eerie looking place and enters and soon realises that its not exactly abandoned. Penny sits down on the empty seat of the vast area and stares at the stage where a freaky come to life Dummy (a clearly having fun Udo Kier) with the most bluest of eyes starts talking to her. He is basically the Crypt keeper for the whole show, the guy who will tell the tales to the wide eyed Penny who sits back in awe and with a horrifying look!  The first tale is titled "The Mother Of Toads" which as soon as you see the title you realise that this is going to be a homage for all things Argento.  Fans of all things Giallo will love every minute of this tale even more so when they see Catriona MacColl from the classic THE BEYOND appear in the title role.  Richard Stanley directs this tale of a mismatched couple, Martin (Shane Woodward) and Karina (Victoria Maurette) who should be on a holiday of a lifetime but their conflicting interests brings a certain amount of tension in the air.  He wants to look at odd shaped rocks and all things occult and she just wants to go for a swim and its only when the couple spilt up to do do their own thing that the terror arrives in the shape of MacColl who seduces the young man and he awakes to a terrible fright.  With a wonderful score that contains "whispers in the wind", this tale flips the fable of "kiss a frog to get you prince" and while looking back it probably was the weakest tale of the whole show, it does set the mood up lovely because you can feel the dread ooze from each frame and like I said, Argento fans will lap it up with wonderful delight.   The second tale "I Love You!" is a brilliant story that thrilled my horror bones and is so different to the previous story.  Directed by Buddy Giovinazzo this tale is a much quieter affair and it works wonderfully after the OTT tone of Stanley's effort.  A man (Andre Hennicke) wakes up on the bathroom floor with his shirt bloodied and with blood on the floor and the first impression I had was that this guy has just tried to kill himself.  Obviously I was way wrong because it is soon revealed that its from a deep cut on his hand in which he can not recall how it happened.   The film then skips a beat and we get the jist of the story of a man whose marriage is on the rocks-badly. His wife Mo (Suzan Anbeh) is clearly no longer in love with him and the film wastes no time in telling us that she is being unfaithful and when they decide to talk about what is wrong, the film comes to life.  There is a great unbalance to the whole show that I loved totally.  Very heavy on the dialogue, the script sparkles with stunning wit from lines like "Your penis in my vagina never liked each other" from the fact she tells her husband that she never even washed after she had sex with another man because she hoped "he would smell the sex on her!" Mo is a complete and utter bitch but then her husband comes across as a bit of a creep and the fact that he just may love her a bit too much.  Even the sex scene, a goodbye fuck if you like is devilishly dark and twisted, she wants to be fucked hard and he wants to do it gentle and you can see how mismatched these two are.  But just when you question where this is going, the witty tone turns horrific with a final last moment that explains why this film is called "I Love You!", I have to say I was completely blown away by this little short film Still reeling from it we moved on to Tom Savini’s WET DREAMS, another inspired Giallo horror which like The Mother of Toads will appeal to fans who love this style. Here we see a man Donnie (James Gill) have the worst sexual dreams you can think of and to say anymore will clearly spoil it for you but it does exactly what it says on the tin.  Its very Lovecraft and it does have genital mutilation and while it lacks a great plot, you can clearly see that Savini is having a blast behind the camera and it brings a not dull but great vibe to it all.  Which then brings us to "The Accident!" and wow!  If there is any reason to watch this film then its for this little beauty.  It has no gore, no terror, not even a bogyman but its a touching story that seems out of place in a horror film full or limbs flying around and penises being hacked off.  The short film is beautifully shot and I can not praise this enough,  The story is of a little girl (Melodie Simmard) who waves to a passing motorcyclist (Bruno Decary)  and moments later sees the guy dead on the road after hitting a deer.  Trying to understand life and death, the girl asks her mother (Lena Kleine) questions in which her mother replies the best she can and that is it for the whole thing.  Sounds Boring?  Well its not, its a wonderful tale that touched my heart and Douglas Buck who wrote and directed this film is clearly one to look out for. The film gets back on track with its last two films. Karim Hussain’s “Vision Stains” starts of with a black background and just goes darker.  Here we see a drug taker getting high before being jumped on by writer (Kaniehtiio Horn) who stabs her and then puts a needle in her eye, drains some body fluid and then injects it into her own eye.  Reasons being is that she has discovered that she can get the memories from those who are dying.  Its that "you see your life before you die" moment and the writer goes from victim to victim becoming in some sense a drug taker herself before taking things too far.  Its a great concept that probably need more running time to get its full potential.   The final story titled "Sweets" is probably the most surreal and bizarre of them all and also the ugliest.  For some reason I could not get the film "Society" out of my mind during this part even though they are so unlike in terms of storytelling.   A bit like "I Love You!" a married couple Estelle (Lindsay Goranson) and Greg (Guilford Adams),relationship is on the rocks even they do share a weird fetish for all things sweet.  Again a bit dialogue heavy but with bizarre food imagery the film takes a dark turn when Estelle decides to host a party.  What happens well I won't spoil it for you but lets just say, do not be eating anything when this story appears on screen. Overall The Theatre Bizarre is a wonderful oddity, surreal and at times touching.  The two short films "I Love You" and especially "The Accident!" are one of the best I have ever seen in any anthology horror, one brutal and honest with marriage while the other is so simple and touching that its just a stunning delight.  The others will also rock your boat especially if you love the old style italian horror and while like all films of this genre there are stories weaker than others, for an overall package its a watchable delight and makes The Theatre Bizarre one of the finest anthology horrors in years.....

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 2591
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 30/1/2012 12:50:51 AM   
HughesRoss

FILM
Red State

STARRING
Kyle Gallner, John Goodman, Michael Angarano, Kevin Alejandro, Melissa Leo, Stephen Root, Michael Parks, Anna Gunn, Kevin Pollak

DIRECTED & WRITTEN BY
Kevin Smith

RATING

RUNNING TIME
88 Minutes

Out Now To Rent and Buy

THE HUGHES VERDICT!

Kevin Smith.....love him or hate him?

Well lucky for me I am in the camp that found Clerks 2 a total blast, loved the dirty talk of Zack and Miri who decided one day to make a porno.  Damn I even found some enjoyment out of Cop Out and yes I can hear the howls of despair from where I am sitting.  Now while I may have lost some credibility because I know there are not many fans out there who like the Bruce Willis action film (I liked the kind of Kuffs vibe to it) hopefully I get you back on side by recommending to you Red State, a different kind of film from Smith and one that I thoroughly enjoyed from start to end.

"Kevin Smith doing horror!" was the kind of conversation that was doing the rounds when it was announced but while there be those expecting and hoping for a bloodbath of extreme torture, this is not that kind of film and also its not really a horror film.  Confused?  Well that is the beauty of watching Red State because you really do not know what you are watching or to expect and for that Smith must be highly applauded.

We start with a typical horror cliche, yes horny teens.  Jared (Kyle Gallner) has been for weeks talking online to a local woman about having a bit of sex with her.  Not just him by the way but his mates included, Travis (Michael Angarano) and Billy Ray (Nicholas Braun) who join him for a sexual experience that they will forever remember.  The film from the off is littered with sin and lust especially when we witness the Five Points Church group led by Pastor Abin Cooper (Michael Parks) who invades funerals of deceased homosexuals and wave anti-gay signs and who are well known around town for their strong powerful views.  The boys know this group and what they preach but thinking like teenagers they ignore this and decide to venture out for their eagerly awaited sexual liaison.

On the way we get another message of how sex can be sinful when the boys clip a car parked on the edge of the road on a dark path.  Getting out to see if they caused any damage they are startled to see a man jump up from inside the car and with shock they drive away. The damaged car just happens to belong to the local sheriff (Stephen Root) a closet gay who was cheating on his wife by having oral sex with a total stranger,

Unknown to the boys that the deputy sheriff is now looking for their car, the boys head off to a trailer where the not so pretty woman ( Melissa Leo) is waiting.  They enter her home she offers them a drink before the sex can begin and they knock the bottles back.  They enter the bedroom to strip before all three feel a bit sleepy and soon they are knocked out from the poison that was in the beer and they awake to a nasty fright.  It seems the woman who promised them a night of sex is actually a member of the Five Points and for the boys this is a start of a nightmare that will only get worse.

The cover of the DVD states that Quentin Tarantino "Freakin loved this movie" and it was a quote that I simply could not get out of mind.  Why?  Because all the way through the running time of the film this felt like a QT movie.  This is so unlike a Kevin Smith movie that fans who hate his work will probably won't watch but would love.  The beginning offers a somewhat new version of Hostel, I mean we have 3 horney teens whose urge for sex ends with them in a very dark place.  Yes there is a suggestion that this will go all gore porn on us but make no mistake this is not a path this leads.  The film goes from one genre to another and when one of the boys awake to find himself locked in a cage in front of a blood frenzy crowd, the film goes all QT on us, with long passages of dialogue that keeps you engaged and enthralled.

The speech Pastor Cooper gives out to his loyal following is a brilliant piece of writing.  Now I am for not one moment saying that I agree with his homophobic views and why the world is as wrong as it is but damn he nearly got me believing.  Its a speech that filled my head with dread, I knew what he was saying was bullshit but yet I could not take my eyes off him, I really do not know if it was because of the script of Smith or the performance of Parks but either way it was the moment that Red State was sold to me and I just waited to see what other delights the film could offer.

Its here after the speech that the horror begins but then only briefly.  While I wont dare spoil it for those who are still yet to see the film, the tone shifts from horrific to wacky in moments and when the brilliant John Goodman turns up in what is a fine role, I bet anyone that they simply won't know what the feck is going on and its a common feeling you will get through out the remaining running time.

Blood and death follows in the final quarter and the climax is littered with unexpected moments that will leave you open mouthed and then we get to the final 15 minutes and the only word I can come up with is "bizarre!".  I mean I have read that people think it was because Smith did not know how to end the film but I believe that is a load of rubbish.  For me its all about belief and the group followed what they preached and that was what they believed.  Again I can not go into this in fear of spoilers but its a bonkers plot development served even more so with an explanation from Goodman which you will either laugh at or find a terrible waste.

For me Red State works on so many levels.  Its brilliantly written with the typical deft touch that Smith brings even though its more (and of course for a horror) of a darker tone.  Any horror film needs a great villain and Red State gets one thanks to Cooper who is so damn believable and while many going into it expecting a full blown horror fest and be disappointed, you could say that Red State is half satire and half exploitation shocker but either way its Smith's best film for years........

4 OUT OF 5

< Message edited by HughesRoss -- 30/1/2012 12:54:35 AM >

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 2592
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 30/1/2012 9:12:19 AM   
HughesRoss

FILM
Shark Night

STARRING
Sara Paxton, Dustin Milligan, Chris Carmack, Joel David Moore, Katherine McPhee, Sinqua Walls, Donal F. Logue, Joshua Leonard, Alyssa Diaz, Chris Zylka

DIRECTED BY
David Ellis

RATING

RUNNING TIME
87 Minutes

What is it all about?
A sexy summer weekend turns into a blood-soaked nightmare for a group of college students trapped on an island surrounded by voracious underwater predators in Shark Night 3D, a terrifying thrill ride from director David Ellis (The Final Destination, Snakes On a Plane), featuring a red-hot young cast including Sara Paxton (Superhero Movie, Last House on the Left), Dustin Milligan (90210, Slither), Chris Carmack (The O.C.), Joel David Moore (Avatar), Chris Zylka (The Amazing Spider Man) and Katharine McPhee (The House Bunny).

Arriving by boat at her family’s Louisiana lake island cabin, Sara (Sara Paxton) and her friends quickly strip down to their swimsuits for a weekend of fun in the sun. But when star football player Malik (Sinqua Walls) stumbles from the salt-water lake with his arm torn off, the party mood quickly evaporates. Assuming the injury was caused by a freak wake-boarding accident, the group realizes they have to get Malik to a hospital on the other side of the lake, and fast.

But as they set out in a tiny speedboat, the college friends discover the lake has been stocked with hundreds of massive, flesh-eating sharks! As they face one grisly death after another, Sara and the others struggle desperately to fend off the sharks, get help and stay alive long enough to reach the safety of dry land.....

THE HUGHES VERDICT

Lets get straight to the point......Shark Night is abysmal.  There I said it!  Now its up to you if you want to read the rest of this review, at least you have the early option of whether to carry on reading because you now know the score and I am telling you now that I am not going to change my mind.  I did not have this option when I was watching this film.  I mean it started awful and carried on getting worse, why did I keep on watching?  Well lets just say the inner child in me was thinking that a film with killer sharks killing hot teens could not be "this dull" and I was hoping it would pick up somehow and surprise me.  Sadly it didn't.

We start off with the typical Jaws beginning in which we see a young couple make out, the guy leaves the water and the girl gets munched on.  This is probably the films highpoint, not because its a great set-piece but the fact that it just reminds you of a great film and if you get that feeling like I did then please do what I did not do and that is knock this shit off and actually watch Jaws, it will make you feel better.  Saying that, even if you can not find your copy of the 70's classic but see the sequels staring back at you then please...please watch parts 2,3 and even 4.......yes because at least the roaring shark and the telepathic link with Brody's wife will have you amused, more than this can ever offer you.

Shark Night introduces us to a bunch of teens, yes the usual gang who when the men take their tops off they have a 10 pack and women who look mightily fine while wearing bikinis.  Now for me their hot bodies was the only reason they got hired in the roles because they sure can not act to save their lives.  I have never ever seen a film will such unlikeable characters who really need to go to acting school because after 15 minutes I went upstairs and put on my "I love Sharks" t-shirt and watched with great delight as the watery bastards munched on these dumb soulless characters.

Sara (Sara Paxton), is the chief responsible for getting all her best friends killed.  Now that is not a spoiler because its the main thrust of the plot because she leaves the University she is in and drags her friends to the swamplands to where she once lived.  Of course in this swamp is a huge mansion where the rest of the gang are promised a party to remember.  Within the gang are Nick (Dustin Milligan), Beth (Katharine McPhee), Blake (Chris Zylka),Gordon (Joel David Moore), Malik (Sinqua Walls) and Maya (Alyssa Diaz), all the cliche type that will make you pine for the lack of though that has gone into the entire plot.  Yes we have the geek looking guy who just wants to be loved, the sexy bitch who as had more loving than one should expect at that age, the school sports star and so on.

In an ill judged moment in which we see Sara get in a boat chase by the police, it turns out that Sara is big friends with the local Sheriff Sabin (Donal Logue), who tells them that he be keeping an eye on them in case they need anything.  Hmmm that sounds a bit fishy......is he going to be more bait or is there something else amiss, especially when we meet up with Dennis (Chris Carmack),an old flame of Sara’s, and his best friend  “Red” (Joshua Leonard-yes he from the Blair Witch).

Yes the film may have had me shaking my head at such a weak start but I was secretly hoping that once the sharks attack then I would start smiling but like I said at the start, the film just gets worse, why? well the CGI is feckin awful.  I mean come on, it actually makes Bruce the shark look real. 

The first attack is laughable bad.  I mean really, really bad!  Yes guys the Black guy gets bitten first.....hooray!!!!!!!!  Well not to show the racism on show he actually survives for a bit (the shark despite dragging him down only bites off his arm??? but while he spends a few good moments just lying there, he finally comes around and grabs a spear (Hmmmm!) and goes all nuts.......yes I did just write that, yes you did just read that and yes it does actually happen.

What made me laugh the most is not the blatant racism on show but how the feck the guy managed to swim to shore after the attack.  I mean this shark is a brutal fast bastard who chomps like eck but somehow it just bites off his arm (does not eat it by the way) and just then swims off and yet somehow the guy then swims to shore- with one arm by the way.

Yes it gets worse, only because the teens are the most thickest bunch of dicks I have ever seen.  Lets do a little question for you guys.

If there are loads of sharks in the water, what do you do?

A: Stay out of the water
B: Jump in the water at every given time and splash around a bit.

If you answered B then well done, add a few stars onto the rating below because you will probably get a kick out of this film.  Seriously are they really that stupid.  I mean these guys only have to stay on land but Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, lets jump in, you know why? because it adds tension, bollocks does it.  My 10 year old son wanted to watch this film and he sat there looked at me and said "Dad, why are they going into the water all the time", and that really says it all doesn't it.

But just when you thought it could not get worse and oh boy you thought it couldn't, we get a plot twist that is not that shocking but moves away from what was supposed to be a man against beast and into yes you got it guys-----TORTURE PORN.......YEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...............just what the film needed.

How they managed to create a film out of a bunch of sharks killing people so boring is a massive achievement within itself.  Well done guys now I am going to chuck on  Jaws-The Revenge to rid myself the memories because compared to this stinker, that is a masterpiece......
                                                                                   1 OUT OF 5

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 2593
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 30/1/2012 8:40:18 PM   
HughesRoss

FILMChildren Of The Corn: Genesis STARRING:Tim Rock, Kelen Coleman, Barbara Nedeljakova, Billy Drago DIRECTED BYJoel Soisson RATING18 What is it all about? Well it has nothing to do with Children and that corn....so what the heck is this film?   THE HUGHES VERDICT   Oh dear me........

I know many are expecting a bad review of the new Children Of The Corn film which is now on I believe is on the 8th sequel of a long running franchise that as been on the straight to Video/DVD path ever since the original film.  Yes this review is not going offer much praise to the film that has come a long way since we saw Sarah Conner take some time off from fighting those damn Robots to battle some mad kids who just love their corn too much.  Yes the titled Genesis is not that good but if you have seen the dire re-make of the original from a few years back then its a marginal improvement to what we saw then. For me to say that there was a lot of ambition to get the franchise back on track and please what is left of the dwindling fan base then I would be lying.  You see this follows the Hellraiser: Revelations sequel in that it was made in a rush so that the Dimension Studio could keep the rights and damn you can tell.  There is nothing in this film that will delight, scare or grip you, I have to be honest again and say that its not even a horror film because the lack of blood and kills are kept to the bare minimal and for an hour of an 90 minute running time nothing at all happens.   Genesis kicks off with the old formula of kids acting crazy.  Its 1974 and a  young soldier returns home to find his entire family killed by these blood thirsty kids and just as we see the first hint of terror the film skips to present day where we meet Tim (Tim Rock) and Allie (Kelen Coleman) who are driving on an open stretch road until the usual horror film situation in which their car breaks down miles from anywhere.  Now before I carry on, what the heck the solider in 1974 had to do with the entire plot is something I missed and I only remembered that moment when I was just looking at my notes.  Maybe they do mention why the two stories are linked but the entire boredom I was suffering from did make attention drift a bit. The couple like my attention, wandered around for a while before they come across a house that if they had watched any horror film would tell them "to keep away!".  Inside is Billy Drago and his wife who invite them in, the couple can not find a breakdown service until the next day, the couple invite them to stay-even though the wife (Barbara Nedeljakova)  tries to fuck the husband while he is on the phone- a laughable scene by the way because his girlfriend is virtually a foot away from him. The couple stay over the night, they hear strange whispers which they just ignore (like you do) and then Allie feels the need to go and take a walk and comes across a locked shed where she can hear a young child from inside.  She goes back in to tell Tim and...........well nothing.  The couple bicker and argue, Drago acts all full of menace but then does nothing but wait around and that's it.....seriously I am not taking the piss here but I am sure the writers are. Now there have been some really bad sequels to this franchise but I will stick up for every single one and say that it does what the fans want.  I actually thought Children Of The Corn 7: Revelation was actually a pretty decent flick and the reason why so many was made is because the franchise done well in sales because fans bought or rented every single one. Genesis could be the one that ends the series.   It does nothing to please the fans because there is nothing in the film that calls out to it being a Children Of The Corn flick.  There is no children, there is no corn and worse of all hardly any slash moments so what are fans actually getting?  A talkie flick that tries to be clever by offering a slight little twist at the end that does not work at all.  Yes  writer/director Joel Soisson (Pulse 2 Highlander 4) does well with his limited budget but if he wants to waste the entire money on a Bad Boys 2 style set-piece then more fool him.  I am telling you, I and may other fans could come up with a better idea than what we was offered here.  All you need is a bunch of creepy looking kids and a field of corn......look at last years Husk which served up a great little treat at times and shows that a franchise like Children Of The Corn can still work. Sadly Genesis fails to tick the boxes that is required and all we left with is a film pretending to be a Corn flick but the truth of it all, is nothing like the films before.   At least its better than the re-make though....                                                                          1 OUT OF 5

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 2594
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 21/2/2012 11:11:59 PM   
HughesRoss

Film: Demons Never Die

Starring: Ashley Walters, Tulisa Contostavlos, Robert Sheehan, Reggie Yates, Jennie Jacques,  Andrew Ellis, Emma Rigby, Shanika Warren-Markland, Femi Oyeniran, Jack Doolan and Jason Maza

Written and directed by: Arjun Rose

Executive Produced by:  Idris Elba

Rating: 15

Running Time: 90 Minutes

Out Now To Rent and Buy

What is it all about!

A cast of MisfitsHollyoaks, Adulthood and The Office all get together for an Urban London style Scream Slasher where a bunch of kids decide to have a suicide pact only to find a masked killer with a real big knife wants to kill them anyway.....

Hughesy Verdict!

Right lets start this with a spoiler, one that has to be shared but I promise does not ruin anything about the film!  You see this is without doubt a Scream kind of horror, set in the path of those popular Adulthood films with a soundtrack booming through it that consists of Jessie J, Wretch 32, and Rizzle Kicks.  Now this kind of music does nothing for me but it might appeal to a few of you out there and it shows what kind of market the film is set to!

Now the spoiler is a minor one, something that most fans will guess by looking at the cover.  You see this is determined to be the English Scream , the blueprint of that Wes Craven film ripples through most scenes, right through a chase scene in a room (reminds you of the scene in Scream 2) all the way towards a party in the house at the climax.  So if they going to follow this path then its quite obvious that they are going to need a Drew Barrymore style opener and yes.......you see where this going? 

Step forward our very own X Factor judge Tulisa who we see right at the start scribbling Murder on a piece of paper only for then to be found dead in what apparently seems like a suicide.  So the girl from N Dubz is only in the film for a mere four minutes yet she gets top billing in the cast......not bad considering you have someone like Robert Sheehan in the cast who thanks to his memorable performance has Nathan in Misfits, would probably attract more of a cult fan base to the film than someone who helped a couple of young girls win the worst X Factor in living memory.

Anyway with that spoiler gone her suicide makes a group of teens decide to end their lives and we see this through webcam with a Brady Bunch kind of set-piece,  you know the one where all the floating heads appear on screen.   Why they decide to kill themselves is a mystery but their self pity really does not offer the sympathy that is required for an Horror Audience, in fact I was quite happy to see these miserable bastards put out of their misery because for feck sake, they just moaned a lot for no apparent reason.

Now after the death of our beloved Tulisa, oh what will her little Muffins do now?,  its time to see yet another death and this time its a good set-piece.  The hot girl gets stabbed and left for dead and you think the film will kick on.  I mean could we have a good little angle in that these kids who wanted to die, now realise how life is important and now want to live?  Well not quite!

You see in the most silliest plot holes I have seen in a long long time, the police and everyone believes that a second person has now killed themselves which left the entire logic of it all fill me with rage.  Who trained these guys?  Have they watched CSI?  Now I am not expecting Columbo style detective work here, especially with Reggie Yates leading the case but come on you thick bunch of idiots.  I mean the way the second person was killed is quite clearly a murder.  I mean she was butchered for feck sake, it was not a suicide, but why bother with a little thing called forensics' when all you can do is just look at a body and go...

"Hey look, she has been stabbed many times"
"Yeah......suicide.....no way was this murder!"
"Yeah I agree...move on!"

I would say the film improves but sadly the figure of Ghostface haunts every frame of this movie.  Its not funny or clever just depressing and old hat and I found myself quite bored after a short while which is quite sad because the cast are a watchable lot.  From Hollyoaks‘ Emma Rigby, 4.3.2.1‘s Shanika Warren-Markland to Jason Maza from Rise of the Footsoldier, the cast are an attractive bunch and I can see why the film must have appealed to them from the off.  Sheehan in particular just oozes star quality and shines thorugh this film which is a good thing because its great to see a star in the making, I just wish he starred in another season of Misfits than agreeing to this poor shocker.

And a shocker it is!  The biggest flaw and the worst thing that any slasher can do is that its just not fun.  Its very hard to get the blueprint wrong of a slash because fans after all these years are just not tired of a psycho in a mask killing people but here its just too bland to entice.  There is no thought in the mask and overall design, the slash scenes are poor and as for the reveal, well?.....

The only thing that keeps Demons Never Die from unwatchable is the guessing game and they do well to fill scenes with red herrings, but when we hit the climax and get a rather ill judged handheld night vision camerawork finale-yes they have like a found footage POV moment- the time for the killer to be unmasked is good because you never guess who it is.  But before you go, oh great!  You won't get it because its so daft and illogical that you will be wondering if all this is a joke.  Forget about the hints of big conspiracy at play here (and believe me there are scenes that suggest something at play), we get nothing.  Just an unmasking and that is it!

No reason why? No Motive? The question why will be ringing through your head long after the credits roll....

Why did the masked killer kill those teens?  Why did the police think they were Suicides at the beginning? Why did the teens want to die anyway?  Why all the answered plot threads?  Why did Little Minx win the X Factor, but most of all....

Why am I watching this shite!

FINAL THOUGHTS

For such an attractive cast and a good sounding concept, the film falls flat in what it tries to achieve.  Not enough grit for the Adulthood fans and not enough scares for the Scream fans, I can see both sets of the audience left deeply frustrated at the poor plot and laughable outcome..... One of 2012's worst horror films!

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 2595
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 21/2/2012 11:31:35 PM   
elab49

Even the cast would have me switching for the off button - this sounds truly dreadful!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 2596
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 22/2/2012 7:42:08 PM   
evil bill

quote:

FILM
Red State

For me Red State works on so many levels.  Its brilliantly written with the typical deft touch that Smith brings even though its more (and of course for a horror) of a darker tone.  Any horror film needs a great villain and Red State gets one thanks to Cooper who is so damn believable and while many going into it expecting a full blown horror fest and be disappointed, you could say that Red State is half satire and half exploitation shocker but either way its Smith's best film for years........

4 OUT OF 5

Surprised me how good this was,and it was thanks to your review i finally rented it on Blu-Ray,so keep up the good work,i do drop on to this tjhread when i have the time to read long reviews.
And going by your score and comments this three have no hope of even being rented.

FILM
Shark Night

FILM
Children Of The Corn: Genesis

Film: Demons Never Die

< Message edited by evil bill -- 22/2/2012 7:46:10 PM >

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 2597
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 23/2/2012 12:38:26 PM   
Discodez

Every time I see Ashley Walters' name these days I can't help thinking of Stewart Lee's dissecetion of his "Autobiography" in the first series of Comedy Vehicle...

"If Asher D or any of the so solid crew are watching I am disresepcting you, disresepcting you to the max"

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 2598
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 29/2/2012 8:04:44 PM   
HughesRoss

FILM:
We Need To Talk About Kevin

CAST:
Tilda Swinton, John C. Reilly, Siobhan Fallon Ezra Miller

DIRECTED BY:
Lynne Ramsay

RUNNING TIME:
DVD: 1 hr 52 mins
Blu-ray: 1 hr 52 mins

CERTIFICATE:

OUT NOW TO RENT AND BUY

What is it all about:

Based on the million-selling Orange Prize winning novel by Lionel Shiver and directed by acclaimed film-maker Lynne Ramsay, WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN is an emotional thriller starring Academy Award Winner Tilda Swinton, Academy Award nominee John C. Reilly, & Ezra Miller.

Eva (Tilda Swinton) puts her ambitions and career aside to give birth to Kevin. The relationship between mother and son is difficult from the very first years. When Kevin is 15, he does something irrational and unforgivable in the eyes of the community. Eva grapples with her own feelings of grief and responsibility. Did she ever love her son? And how much of what Kevin did was her fault?

The Hughes Verdict!

Best film of 2011?.......yes!

When we counted our votes for the HCF Movie Awards of 2011, from the loyal readers there was only one choice and that was Drive, which I am not going to deny and say that it was a worthy winner for our first award.  Now I am going to break rank here and say that we the critics of HCF also voted and while I will not say what films the others voted for, I will say what film I decided on and it was The Shrine a film which I still believe was the best horror film of last year.

It was a close call though with Kill List, the brilliant British horror was something else, a total dark horse that came from nowhere and has found instant love with nearly all who have seen it.  I was happy with those two films, I thought nothing else could beat them, could even match them for style and scares, until of course I saw We Need To Talk About Kevin, a film that if I saw in 2011 and not in 2012, then it would have been my number one choice. 

We Need.....or shall I put for short WNTTAK, is a powerhouse of a film.  Having read the book by Lionel Shriver before I set eyes on this film, I thought the story would be hard to adapt to the big screen, yes its a dark story about a mother with a very bad son but it was told in a series of confessional letters and yet director Lynne Ramsay in what is hard to believe her only third feature, some how changes the structure of the novel and makes it something else, something unique, something scary and probably the best contraceptive pill you could ever have in your hands.  Believe me watch this film and you will never have a one night stand again, simply because you may give birth to the bastard that is Kevin (Rock Duer, Jasper Newell, and Ezra Miller in the freaky older role that will give you chills up your spine).

Just like The Sixth Sense, the colour red is heavily featured in this film and like the Bruce Willis flick its a sign of death, but here its in a different context.  Now the best thing you could do is not know nothing WNTTAK before you sit down and watch the film.  If you lucky not to know nothing then good luck with the experience, you will feel drained from watching.  If you like me and know what the plot is all about then please do not worry, its still a stunning journey even though you will know the outcome of what the film is building too.

I will write this review for those who do not know anything because I would love to know your reaction when you get to the sucker punch ending, but before I even talk about endings lets talk about beginnings and the film starts like a scene from the film Society.  A mass of bodies covered in blood will leave you shaking your head at what your are seeing until its explained that its some kind of bizarre festival and its here we meet up with Tilda Swinton who SHOULD HAVE WON AN AWARD FOR THIS FILM.  I am sorry but sod you Oscars and all those who have ignored Tilda's performance in this, she carries the film from beginning to end and oh boy you are with her every step of the way.

What we have is three timelines, one present, one past and one sort of in between.  If that sounds confusing then its not really, its easy to follow even though the dread is totally unbearable coming from the screen.  The past sees Eva (Swinton) have a drunken one night of sex with  Franklin (John C. Reilly in a straight role) and nine months later Kevin is born.  The present sees her alone and a broken women, she can not even walk the street without getting a slap from a stranger who calls her all the bitches under the sun.  Why?  Well all is revealed at the end!

The in between shows glimpse of something bad happening.  Its only flashes but it builds when the film moves along, and believe me the wait is worth it!

The truth is there is something wrong about Kevin.  As a baby he cried constantly, would not talk as a toddler and even annoys his mother by shitting his nappy on purpose.  The boy is just an awful child but is it because Eva never wanted him in the first place and that the boy feels neglected?  It could be, but the film not once offers any sympathy for any of the characters, instead we have a film full of intelligence because it actually gets the viewer to make their own mind up,  Yes, this is adult film making and not one for the date crowd.

As Kevin gets older, his attitude gets worse even masturbating towards his mother will a smile on his face and while the character comes across more evil in the book, here its still played to perfection and I really do not think I have seen such an evil child on the big screen.  Its important to understand that there is no back story here, its not a film that tells you that Kevin was born evil because there was a burial ground underneath the hospital or something like that.  This is a story of no motive, no evil lurking under the bed.  The simple fact is, evil is born for no reason and in some cases in loving families who have no idea that one of their siblings is an evil bastard who wants them all to suffer. 

Like Billy said in Scream "Its more scary when there is no motive!"...

As the flashbacks come more longer, the full scale comes apparent to the viewer and yet you still won't be able to take your eyes off the whole thing and even though you may guess the outcome, there is still a huge shocker to await you that will probably make the film not leave you for days.  The most scary moment is the final shot that for the only moment of the film may make you sorry for those left standing.  Its an uncomfortable "sorry" on your part because you really do not want to think it.  Its like a tragic love story between two people who should have been in love from the start and it took a massive gesture to get them together.  You understand what I mean by that once you watched the film

Filmed with a vivid style of colours and confidence, WNTTAK is a powerful film that will make two sides of the audience do different things.  The parents will go home and cuddle their children and tell them how much they do love them.  Those will no kids will probably thank their lucky stars and decide there and then not to have any.

Its that kind of film...........

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 2599
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 20/3/2012 12:42:35 PM   
HughesRoss

FILM: STRAW DOGS

DIRECTED BY: Rod Lurie

STARRING: James Marsden, Kate Bosworth, Alexander Skarsgard, James Woods

RUNNING TIME:110 mins

DISTRIBUTED BY: Sony Pictures

RATING: 18

OUT NOT TO RENT AND BUY

The Hughes Verdict!

I remember the gasp of shock when Gus Van Sant announced that he was re-making Psycho. There was not much of an outcry at first, just a stunned silence because back then even in the 90's, redoing such films like Hitchcock's classic was just unthinkable. The silence started to crack when production started, from shock came anger and nearly every single Norman Bates fan wanted the film to flop badly and even though they had their wish, it was the intrigue of the whole show that had the film studio's sit up and take note. I mean nothing beats really good publicity than re-making an old classic simply because the intrigue is there from the off.

Look at it this way, even those who poured hatred at the whole idea of a return to Bates Motel was probably there on opening night, because the need to know if it is good is just to overwhelming for many fans. This is why many new versions of these films do so well on the opening week, you get the old fans rushing in to see how badly they have redone it and then leave in such anger that the word of mouth kills the box office figures for the second week. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but over the past few years many remakes have sunk without trace, failing to find love with new and old fans all over the world.

Having seen this trend grow over the last ten years, I can now understand why classics like Halloween and Friday 13th were remade. The studio's themselves had milked the franchise for all their worth with endless sequels so there was only one place left and that was remake land and because Myers and Jason are such iconic characters who will stand the test of time for many years yet, there was a genuine reason behind the madness.

There is no logic though in stepping back into the path of Straw Dogs, a film banned for many years because of that infamous rape scene which is a bit unfair because apart from that notorious moment, its also well respected for being a genre classic from the directing lens of Sam Peckinpah. Yes the original film was made way back in 1971 and I suppose the thirty one year gap meant that the film is ripe for a new imagination, but you can not help but have thoughts of "why" right from the off!.

When I sat down to watch the new version I was hoping to find some love because I am not a huge fan of the original. Yes I really do appreciate what it is and I love Dustin Hoffman in the role, but the film arrived in my life a bit too late for me to watch. By then I had already seen Texas Chainsaw Massacre and the original Spit On You Grave, so when I finally saw this banned classic, I was expecting a little bit more.

Please do not for one minute believe I am taking anything away from the film, its just because it was "banned" I was expecting a blood bath but instead what I was watching was an intelligent film which I thought at the time was misjudged by many. The plot itself was quite bare but it was built on the odd relationship between the two leads who I felt were two totally different people, not quite right for each but at the end came through when it mattered. I still believe that the "rape scene" overshadowed a really good drama film because that's what it was, a real good drama piece and not a horror by any means.

So I did have high hopes that maybe this would rock my boat in more ways than it did others and when the credits rolled I was quite hoping that I would be writing up a review, different to those that are out there, because lets be honest, its hard to find a decent good word to say about this remake

For those unfamiliar with the plot we are introduced to Hollywood screenwriter David Sumner (James Marsden) and his wife, Amy (Kate Bosworth) who following the death of Amy's father leaves the big city to spend some time in Amy’s Southern hometown to stay in an old house away from everyone and everything. David is the big fish in the small pond, he looks out of place and uncomfortable but tries his best to fit in to please his wife who arrives in town like she has never been away. Meeting up with ex boyfriend Charlie (Alexander Skarsgård) who straight away strikes up a dislike for David, the tensions rise when the married couple ask Charlie and his work mates to fix the roof on the barn of their home. They turn up, Amy flirts for a bit, David tells her "she is asking for it!", which of course happens which results in a climatic siege where life or death is only seconds away.

First the positive and the acting on show is one thing you can not put your nose up too. While Marsden is no Hoffman, he still does a good job as the man who needs to turn against his beliefs to protect his loved one and its nice to see Skarsgård step out from his role of Eric in True Blood and play the lead bad guy. He holds the tension up well between David even though I have seen him be more darker in the hit TV Show. The weakest link is probably Bosworth who really adds nothing to the role of Amy apart from looking pretty and this is where the negatives start to come from.

Rod Lurie's redo is just totally bland and pretty dull which should not be for the subject matter on hand. In an age where gore porn and holidays go bad horror are all the rage, Straw Dogs should in lovely between the lines but the plot is so dull that it fails to entice from the off. There is nothing here which will excite the new generation and the sad thing is if there was no 1971 original, then this movie would be instantly forgettable.

Now I do not mean to sound offensive here but even the rape scene is boring. Now I know you should not glamorise rape in any way but what I mean is that I just did not feel the plight that Amy was going through. If you take a look at the remake of I Spit On Your Grave, then that poor woman went through the mill and it was horrific to see but when she got her revenge, you were like "go bitch, get those fuckers!", but with Straw Dogs 2012, well it totally lacks any passion and fails to get the emotional edge that a film of this kind requires.

Interesting is the change of dynamic of the plot in terms of relationships. In the original, it was husband and wife who seemed at odds and have a different way of life but in this remake its centred on David and Charlie and its a huge flaw in the new version. Yes they are both chalk and cheese but by trying to raise the tension between the two rids the use of Amy who like I said is just there in the background to look pretty and then get raped. Sadly even the appearance of James Woods fails to rise the film up through murky waters and the film just limps along all the way towards the finale which even if you have not seen the original you will guess what is coming long before the sound of gun fire.

Straw Dogs 2012 sadly fits in the ever-growing pile of remakes that offer nothing new for fans of old. Its a film that lacks all kind of tension and thrills and quite simply bored the shit out of me.

Sitting down to watch the new version of The Woman In Black and I have to say I was glued to my seat. No litteraly I was glued to my seat otherwise I would have left the cinema but some bastard had tipped some stuff on the very place I was sitting and I found my bum stuck to the fabric. I sat there and wondered what could it be? Some food that fell from their mouth? Maybe they spilled some drink in haste, or could it have been something more? something dark? like a couple who had nowhere else to go for the night so decided to sit on my seat two hours before I had the chance and, well got up to stuff which resulted in a very sticky seat.

Yes these thoughts were ringing through my head on many occasions but I suppose at least my imagination was keeping me entertained from the boredom I was suffering watching this piece of turd. I mean how the heck is this film winning so much critical acclaim? All I have had recenttly is close friends coming up to me and uttering words like "Have you seen The Woman In Black yet?, oh you should....its scary?"....

Now what did they mean by scary? I mean for a start this was a 12 rating so I was not expecting to be jumped out of my skin here and also have buckets of blood being thrown at me, but scary? Where at what time was I frightened? Oh yes by the lame script, now that freaked me! By the fact that nothing really happens in this film until after the hour mark and then its all done so quickly and confusing that you left scratching your head at what is happening.

Now before all the fans jump on my back and say that I have no idea what I am talking about then just look at the facts......I mean Harry does nothing for 60 minutes of the film. Here he is in this strange town, being met by an hostile crowd who shout at him and say things like "You should not have come!" and yet not once did he ask "Why?"....I mean if you see a Woman In Black in the middle of the woods staring at you then you do start wondering if things are not what they seem. He does not once investigate what is happening, why kids are dying and he spends the majority of the time walking around like a confused young wizard who has just lost his magic wand and who really wants to be back in Hogwarts and boring us all to death with another three hour film about kids and their broomsticks.

I am sorry but the film is dragged down by such a weak leading main character that lacks the presence to hold the film together. When you look at something like 1408, a ghost flick which would have been even a lesser film if it was not for the performance of John Cusack then you see where I am coming from. Radcliffe walking around for an hour ike a lost puppy is something which I did not pay to see and yet its unfair to blame it all on him because the script he was served with was not very good!

Yes the film was jumpy at times but big deal! You always know when a horror film lacks in a quality script and that is when they pile in scenes of endless jump scenes to keep the viewers interested. Yes you jumped, and yes you jumped again, but please look beyond that and realise you see nothing but an empty film full of the same old horror cliches that died out in the 80's when films like these were all the rage.

After the hour mark, the film does pick up and that is only because Harry starts to finally ask the right questions which he should have asked in the first 10 minutes. The climax is laughable at best! After a bore fest of a first half, the final quarter moves at such a frantic pace that it feels rushed and borders on stupid really. I mean the motives of the ghost is pretty silly if you ask me, I mean we are not talking about the same poor back-story that Elly Kedwood suffered and then took her revenge on the those campers in the late 90's.

And the final twist, well I say twist but come on.....I mean lets end it on a downbeat but then surprise everyone by selling out for a happy ending.
WTF......

For me The Woman In Black 2012 was not a patch on The Woman In Black 1989. I'll argue with anyone who will say that this modern version is better. I mean how? Have you seen the 1989 version? Now that is a classic tale, much loved in the horror circles and contains scare scenes that for some odd reason, this modern version decided not to redo. Maybe that was the problem for me with this film. I mean in my eyes its just another pointless re-make, a horror that lacked everything you want in the genre, and what saddens me more is that this is taking money left right and centre at the box office, while the much superior films like The Orphanage get constantly overlooked, and that ladies and gentlemen is a more scary thought than anything that was displayed in this film!

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 2600
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 20/3/2012 12:53:27 PM   
impqueen

I still do not understand why anyone would want to remake Straw Dogs.

I love The Orphanage the final payoff is heart-breaking but the film is brilliantly atmospheric and has genuine scares.

Great reviews as always Hughes.

Yes, always.

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 2601
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 20/3/2012 1:00:59 PM   
Rebel scum

The more I think about the new Woman in Black, the less I like it. Great review, I agree the '89 version is much better, and I'm glad they didn't repeat the same scares, at least they were trying to make the film its own beast even if it didn't come off. I also agree that The Orphanage is a much, much better film.

I love 1408 though, John Cusack does make the film much better than it otherwise would have been but I found it one of the best horror films of the past decade.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 2602
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 20/3/2012 2:37:31 PM   
HughesRoss

HUGHES HIDDEN GEMS Number 1: Wes Craven's Deadly Friend

]Directed By Wes Craven

Starring: Matthew Laborteaux Kristy Swanson Michael Sharrett Anne Twomey

Released: October 10, 1986

Not all Nightmares begin on Elm Street!!!!!!!

After the success, well the stunning worldwide success of A Nightmare On Elm Street, Wes Craven was a made man. The horror world was all his to own and dictate, he was thee name that all fans could not wait to see what kind of horror film he would bring out next. Would it be Freddy 2? Maybe another new created icon which would take the world by storm. Well after his visit to Elm Street, good old Wes did branch out to something different and did introduce us to a whole new character, but it was not human and it went by the name of BB.

Now before I get to the most annoying piece of crap in this film, we start the movie with a car thief who tries to steal one and gets mre than he bargained for when a robotic hand reaches out from the back seat and tries to strangle the unwelcome guest. Lucky for the guy he manages to run, unlucky for the viewer we are introduced to BB, a robot who is one of the most gut wrenching awful things you ever see in a horror film

His "BB BBB BBB...BOOOO.....BEEE...BEEP..BEEP...BOOO...BEEEE.....BBB.....BBBB" sound fills the picture for the first twenty five minutes and honestly my eyes started to bleed in annoyance. The reason for his existence is that Ziggy's bastard offspring is the creation of Paul (Matthew Laborteaux), one of those intelligent teens in school who was always top of their class much to the jealousy of everyone around him and good old Paul is studying......take a deep breath and get the spell check ready....neurology and artificial intelligence at the local college. So aye he is one brainy bastard and his BB is his pride and joy.

Like all 80's horror's (take a look at Fright Night), Paul just lives with his Mum in a typical neighbourhood where probably Charley Brewster would live next door if it was not for Sam (Kristy Swanson) occupying the house. Sam with her blonde hair and lovely personality is the perfect girl to live next to if it was not for her abusive father who loves to get drunk and then beat the shit out of her. Paul instantly makes friends with her and soon she and BB are walking around hand in hand (ok taking the piss here) but its such a surreal set up and despite her father's heavy hands, life is great until of course BB meets up with that old woman from Thrown Mamma From The Train!

Poor BB gets a shotgun to the head much to the despair of Paul but to the total enjoyment of the viewer and you would think that was it. Paul would just go off and create a new BB called maybe BB Mark II, but no, guess what. Poor Sam takes one to many beatings and she ends up dead at the foot of the stairs. Bad day for Paul you would think but not quite. With the help of fellow friend Tom (Michael Sharrett), they kidnap the dead body of Sam and implant BB's chip into her. Oh yes, soon Sam is alive but dead and you get the reason why this is called Deadly Friend....

Its easy to dismiss Deadly Friend has a bad horror and for the new generation they will instantly laugh at what is on offer but for someone who lived through the horror genre in the 80's, this is a total guilty pleasure that is gloriously bad that it is so much fun. Its quite bonkers to think how Craven could come up with two different films in a short matter of time. Elm Street was and still is a horror masterpiece, but Deadly Friend is one of Craven's forgotten films.

Its well known that the entire production was overwhelmed by studio interference. Anyone who has read the book "Friends" by Diane Henstell will tell you that the story needed to be told. Its a wonderful love story filled with a dark vibe that from reading it you can see why Craven was drawn to the source material. The fact remains that Freddy haunted the picture. The studio wanted a new scare fest and what they had was a love story so they ordered half a dozen extra scenes full of kills and gore which shows up when you watch. The balance is not there at all within the film, it tries to be one thing then the other and you just know that underneath it all there is a great film dying to come out. It tells you all that the stupid hacked on ending "which is even worse than the dummy through the window in Nightmare" was dreamt up by Mark Tapin back then the president off Warner Brothers.

But despite the misgivings and the many negatives surrounding the film, its still a worthwhile watch. Any Craven fan who has not even seen this film should check it out because there are many of his signatures on display. The mood helped by the great score moves the film along nicely and he fills the films up with some nice shots especially when we switch to POV moments. Of course its also worth checking out for the infamous scene involving death by basketball. Yes I did write that and its a scene that is worth three stars at least and is of the best moments in 80's horror's.

The cast also give a good count of themselves even though I have no idea where Laborteaux went after this, but of course Kristy went on to become the original Buffy and also starred in the really bad sequel Mannequin On The Move. Craven of course went to make better films than this but it would be until 10 years later when he reached the same standard of Freddy again and that was with the help of Kevin Williamson and the introduction of a certain Ghostface.

Deadly Friend though remains a hidden gem of 80's horror, its not very good but that is its brilliance. Its so camped in 80's style that its a showcase of what horror was like back then and deserves to find the love that other similar films like Fright Night and Vamp seem to have with fans but I suppose I am one of the lucky ones who has not forgotten this film because lets be honest, any film that shows the woman from The Gonnies getting her head squashed with a Basketball deserves to be loved anc cherished....

< Message edited by HughesRoss -- 20/3/2012 2:41:16 PM >

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 2603
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 20/3/2012 2:52:40 PM   
elab49

quote:

The cast also give a good count of themselves even though I have no idea where Laborteaux went after this, but of course

I wondered myself the other day. Although I mainly remember the name from Little House on the Prairie. But I think his brother turned up on one of those SyFy channel Asylum efforts the other day and it is a very memorable name.

quote:

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 2604
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 20/3/2012 4:43:28 PM   
HughesRoss

Apparently he was born with Autism and has raised over £11m for good causes....

He does a lot of voice overs now on TV and Video Games

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2605
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 21/3/2012 1:07:35 PM   
Discodez

I haven't seen deadly friend since the 80's but remember it being an excellent bit of horror hokum. Pitty it's never been released on DVD/BD here.

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 2606
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 25/3/2012 10:20:35 PM   
HughesRoss

Yep....its this years most talked about banned horror...and I finally got to see it..........

Film: The Bunny Game

Director: Adam Rehmeier

Writer: Adam Rehmeier, Rodleen Getsic
Starring: Rodleeen Getsic, Jeff Renfo
Runtime: 76 minRating: 18

The Hughes Verdict on the film that is banned outright in the UK!

"Torture-Porn" is the phase of horror that many viewers now sigh at with despair and anguish. Its a term that has served the horror genre well over the last few years with such films like Hostel and Saw gaining a massive fan base that has resulted in sequel after sequel, but also spawning many imitations that have stank the place out and left a rotting smell to many fans who want more than just see limbs being hacked off at every given moment.

It also seems that every new year comes a film that is determined to outdo the last one for big shocks. Two years ago we had A Serbian Film to mull over, a film that was banned for a while and then released with a few cuts because lets face it, who really wants to see "newborn-porn" close up on screen. Not wanting to be outdone, last year we had the sequel of The Human Centipede to debate over. A fiasco in itself because after months of being banned and vowed never to be shown in the UK, now you can see it all its uncut glory which makes a mockery of all the publicity that engulfed the movie.

I have seen both films and while I was not fussed on the HC2, simply because I saw it more of a comical tone than a downright horror, I did enjoy A Serbian Film because I thought it was wonderfully dark that tipped the horror balance into a rather twisted direction. Yes that infamous notorious scene is still a moment that I do not wish to remember while I type this review, but I feel the film is overshadowed by "that" moment because how can horror fans not like scenes of a naked man, killing a bad guy with a use of an erection. A Serbian film was so tongue in cheek that I "got it!" even though I can fully understand why many would hate the film.

Am I sick to say I enjoyed it? Maybe watching too much horror has left a mark on the brain. The genre is like a drug and I am an addict looking for the next big fix and waiting for a film to take me to a place that I have not been for a while. As we get older its get hard to get scared and feel any emotion while watching a horror film. Those who say they were scared of films like The Woman In Black and Insidious makes me shake my head either in frustration or jealousy that I can no longer feel like a child again, Who do I blame for this cold stone heart? Well being the age of thirty five and having watched Halloween way back when I was five, maybe I am just too immune to being scared again.

That is why I look for horror films now that take me to edge and leave me feeling emotionally drained. One's that I simply can not shake out of my system days on end. Being scared and disturbed are two different things and maybe I am the addict in the street, looking for the dealer to get that fix and A Serbian Film and HC 2 were the two films that teased me with their promise of taking me to a higher place, somewhere I just did not want to go, but the hype was way overboard for two films that left me cold and disappointed. But the way the horror genre is at the moment, it was only a matter of time before 2012 saw a film to carry on the recent tradition of being banned and the papers all full of the usual "Do not watch this filth"....all I had to do is wait....and wait some more....... 

The British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) has rejected the sexually violent DVD The Bunny Game. The film follows a female prostitute who hitches a lift with a truck driver. The truck driver kidnaps the woman, restrains and forcibly strips her, and proceeds to physically and sexually abuse and humiliate her. The abuse of the kidnapped woman takes up the greater part of the film.

The Board’s Guidelines state “A strict policy on sexual violence and rape is applied. Content which might eroticise or endorse sexual violence may require cuts at any classification level. This is more likely with video works than film because of the potential for replaying scenes out of context. Any association of sex with non-consensual restraint, pain or humiliation may be cut”. The principal focus of The Bunny Game is the unremitting sexual and physical abuse of a helpless woman, as well as the sadistic and sexual pleasure the man derives from this. The emphasis on the woman’s nudity tends to eroticise what is shown, while aspects of the work such as the lack of explanation of the events depicted, and the stylistic treatment, may encourage some viewers to enjoy and share in the man’s callousness and the pleasure he takes in the woman’s pain and humiliation.

David Cooke, Director of the BBFC said: “It is the Board’s carefully considered view that to issue a certificate to this work, even if confined to adults, would be inconsistent with the Board’s Guidelines, would risk potential harm within the terms of the Video Recordings Act, and would accordingly be unacceptable to the public.”

The Board considered whether its concerns could be dealt with through cuts. However, the pervasiveness of the abuse makes it very difficult to deal with The Bunny Game by means of cuts. If the company would like to attempt to cut this work in order to submit it in a reduced form, they are entitled to do so, but the Board can offer no assurances that such re-editing would be successful.

That is a brief snippet from the BBFC on the reason why they have banned The Bunny Game, a film that has been winning rave reviews and yet once again we in Britain have not got the right to see because its banned and by the looks of it......there is no chance of it ever seeing the light of day. Having watched the very film tonight, I can only share with you my feelings before I say were they right to ban the film, but before that....let me tell you what its about!

The film starts with life in the day of a hooker (co-writer Rodleeen Getsic) and its not a pretty picture by any means. Even before the main thrust of the the movie we are already subjected to a horrible world which is pure frightening because its actually a real one for some poor souls out there. From drugs to forceful sex, for this sad hooker, life is one big mess and we the viewer see everything she goes through. The Bunny Game is not a movie to shy away from, in fact its quite rightly one of the most horrific moments of someone's life you ever get to see,

After picking up one punter who leaves her with nothing, in despair she ends up taking a lift with a truck driver who seems friendly at first. Somehow in this remarkable film you can sense the the dread getting deeper and stronger and soon thanks to help of a dirty cloth to her mouth, the poor hooker is drugged and placed on the back seat. The crazed driver (Jeff Renfo) drives to the desert and when the hooker wakes, she finds herself chained in the back of his truck.

What follows is...........well............two words........fuck me!

If I told you that the film is based on a real life experience of the actress Getsic then maybe you can understand how twisted and fucked up this movie is. Now I rarely swear in my reviews but its the emotion that is running through my veins as I attempt to get my head together to write this for the site. What I can not get out of my head is a review I read a few months ago about this film that called this a real "snuff" movie!. Its a term that I was determined not to use when I ended up writing mine but it is such a brilliant phase that its the only way you can describe the film after you have watched. Yes its torture-porn but its torture-porn happening for real right in front of your eyes. Getsic gets beaten and really put through things that you do not wish to see and the fact that its not fake and its happening right there made me visit a place in horror that I may have longed for but have no wish to return. It really is a brutal blast to your senses and for some of you, well it may just be too much to take.

I have never seen an actress put through such an ordeal by her own freewill, I mean there is a scene where she actually gets branded by an iron, now guys this is not a fake effect scene, I mean this happens and its.....well stomach turning. I have no shame in saying that I actually had to compose myself many times while watching and anyone reading this who thought Martyrs was bad, then times that film by 1000 and you know what to expect. You the viewer actually feel the suffering and its simply hard to shake and on a few occasions I felt dirty and ashamed that I was watching these women suffer this quite horrific ordeal.

The lack of blood is also a strong factor and a major selling point within the film. The Trucker whose name we come to know of has Hog, does not share the same blood thirst with the likes of Jigsaw but his form of punishment is even worse. I mean why cut flesh when you can torture the brain. In fact The Bunny Game is more of a show in how a human being can mentally "torture" another human being and its not a pretty sight.

But and this is a shocker. While the likes of Serbian and Centipede just shocked for fun and in some ways was made so they could see what they could get away with, The Bunny Game is a different beast of a movie. This is not just some horror for the sake of shock and I would be dismayed by those who see otherwise. The direction itself by Adam Rehmeier is first class and stunning at times and really mocks the fact that this is his debut picture. There are some gorgeous imagery on show which is helped by the black and white setting, and the music itself fits the mood perfectly. You be hard pressed to see another horror film this year that is brilliantly filmed and scored like this.

Its also a proper horror film. Forget the mindless sequels and the dreaded re-makes, this movie shows that there are still people out there willing to do something different and really push the boundaries to give normal people the taste of nightmares. There will be those who disagree which is the norm of these films. Some may call it "empty" and "pointless", I mean why sit and watch women get beaten and spat at for 78 minutes, but they are missing the point. There is a world out there where dark and evil thrives and now and again to get a taste of such a vile experience may make you appreciate the things around you.

Again I can only weep at the banning in the UK! Is it a film fitted to be banned? Well I have seen worst films in terms of horrifc imagery and once again you get a longing for somethng more because it does not quite tip the scale of downright sick, but its also a film that even now I can not shake out of my system. Its an emotional savage film that derserves to be seen by those hardcore fans out there even though I can understand fully why the BBFC are wary on young minds seeing this film.

The Bunny Game is an adult horror made by adults for adults. Its a remarkable film that will leave you shaking for days afterwards and when I compared myself to somekind of Drug addict whose looking for his next big fix in horror...after watching this film I am going cold turkey for a while because at the moment I feel drained at the experience but I can not end the review by not mentioning Getsic again.....

If there is justice in the horror world, then Getsic's role needs to be seen to be apprecaited. Hats off to what is one the greatest in any horror film.....and I now wait with eager and excitement at director's Rehmeier next film "Jonas" which is said to be a loose sequel to this very film!Like a Serbian Film I will not rate this movie, its a film that needs to be judged by the individual, but what I will say that this is one of the best draining horrors to come out for a very long time and one that I doubt will find much love for those brought up on the likes of Final Destination and the endless teen horror's.This is proper horror and one that you simply won't forget in a hurry!

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 2607
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 27/3/2012 5:44:58 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I'd not heard of this film until this review.

quote:

I have no shame in saying that I actually had to compose myself many times while watching and anyone reading this who thought Martyrs was bad, then times that film by 1000 and you know what to expect.

That's me out then. Martyrs is the only film that's ever made me feel uncomfortable.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 2608
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 30/3/2012 6:00:41 PM   
HughesRoss

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

I'd not heard of this film until this review.

quote:

I have no shame in saying that I actually had to compose myself many times while watching and anyone reading this who thought Martyrs was bad, then times that film by 1000 and you know what to expect.

That's me out then. Martyrs is the only film that's ever made me feel uncomfortable.

Then keep away from it Gimil...you will hate me for it....

In an odd way, I saw Snowtown in the week and I found two scenes in that, more disturbing than anything in The Bunny Game, which is quite strange considering.....

Post #: 2609
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 6/4/2012 6:33:16 PM   
HughesRoss

FILM: Absentia

STARRING: Katie Parker, Courtney Bell, Dave Levine, Morgan Peter Brown

DIRECTED BY: Mike Flanagan

RATING: 15

Out Now On DVD

WHAT IS IT ALL ABOUT?

Daniel has been missing for seven years, Tricia Riley is pregnant and lives alone. Her husband Daniel has been missing for nearly seven years and after years of torment she is finally ready to move on and declare him “Dead in Absentia.” When her sister Callie moves in to offer her support and with the papers all set to be signed, Tricia starts to see visions of her husband who haunt her through day and night. When Callie encounters a homeless man by the name of Walter in a dark tunnel near their home, he utters the words "You can see me?" and will that comes a frightening notion that something evil is at work, something supernatural, something beyond evil......

The Hughes Verdict!

When we sat down to create HorrorCultFilms, our main aim was to give fans of horror a place where they will be told that there was loads of little horror's out there waiting to be found and loved. If it was not for films like Session 9, then I doubt HCF would be here today, because the friendship you see in the HCF Office was born from discussing that film and sharing the love of others that many did not know of. Its a trait that has continued over the years, when Matt stumbled upon The Objective he could not wait to tell us and we rushed to watch. Likewise when I discovered The Torment, the rest of the guys could not wait to watch and like always, we then talked for hours on end at how great it was and how sadly its being missed by so many.

This week I came across the cheaply made horror flick Absentia, a film that Matt himself has covered a bit on the news. I did really did not know what to expect, just hoping for a decent ninety minutes of some enjoyment. You the reader probably know that the Straight to DVD horror market is full of some absolute crap that at times makes you question why you love the horror genre, but you buy/rent them in hope that the film may turn out to be a diamond in the mud. From the first ten minutes of Absentia I had a few doubts, it looked cheap and somehow it did not grab me, maybe I was not in the right frame of mind sitting down to watch it, but then something happened.....a really good haunting made me sit up in interest, then it got intriguing, then a bit crazy, before heading towards the surreal and afterwards I realised that I had just seen one of 2012's best horror films.

Having put up MISSING posters for the past seven years, Tricia ( Courtney Bell) is finally ready to put the ghost to bed. Pregnant by a mystery man and with her sister Callie (Katie Parker) moving in to offer support, Tricia is all set to declare the love of her life dead. But trouble starts when she starts to suffer "hauntings" from Daniel, night and day, the figure appearing out of nowhere, looking like death and muttering unheard dialogue. Tricia puts it down to stress, but Callie whose early morning runs takes her through this dark tunnel begins to suspect something odd, especially when she encounters a homeless man by the name of Walter. Taking him something to eat in a show of goodwill, ends up with her arriving home to find jewellery on her doorstep. Sounds strange? Well its gets more surreal especially when we come to the standout scene where a "haunting" is not a haunting at all and the film takes a turn into a different direction.

I have to say that I really loved this movie. It really does create an intense atmosphere of dread that sucks you in from the start. The film benefits from a strong cast that really act their socks off and lifts the limited budget that not once harms the direction the story goes in. Here director Mike Flanagan shows just what a talent he can be in this field. He knows that he does not have the money for any scary effects so instead invests all his energy of making sure the plot is well staged and the emotion and scares come from that. You actually feel the pain that Tricia goes through and the confused stance of Detective Mallory (Dave Lavine) whose involvement in the case has created feelings between the grieving wife and the man whose duty it is to find her husband.

Also the lack of any blood also helps the film. Its really nice to see a film born in the age of gore-porn not selling out to the fan base out there. This is an old fashioned yarn that is beautifully done.

But while I write those words, there is a downside which is quite strange because I am ringing the praises here. Yes guys I can see the confused looks right now, but let me explain. The overall concept is an intriguing one but the longing for Flanagan to keep on showing the "tunnel" made any surprises kept to a minimum. I felt that the story here just needed a bit of more mystery because every time we switched to Callie either running through the tunnel or the camera zooms towards it, you get a feeling that all the answers are there. Also for me personally there were problems with the reveal. I thought the idea was fresh and intriguing but the lack of real knowledge let the film down towards the end. Now I know that not knowing is usually a great sign and I am all for that, but here it just left too many questions and I felt a bit unfulfilled. Maybe it was the lack of budget or that I did not want the film to end, but I probably need to re-watch this again just to see if it works the second time.

At the end of the day though, those are minor grumbles. It pains me that films like The Woman In Black are doing great business but films like Absentia are rudely ignored because make no mistake this film is superior to the one starring Harry Potter. Its a Supernatural film with a slight twist and I have to mention it also cleverly offers an intriguing different development which you see with flashbacks towards the end. I loved that moment because its scary to realise that what could be an out of the ordinary scary occurrence could be seem so differently to those who are there to help you.

I'll end this review like I started by mentioning HorrorCultFilms and say this is why I write for the site. I am so happy to be reviewing this little beauty because it gives many reasons into why I love the horror genre. Those who say the genre is dead are not looking in the right places and if this review can at least find one reader to go and seek this film out, then we at HCF have done their job, because Absentia is a film that needs to seen and cherished.....What are you waiting for?

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 2610
Page:   <<   < prev  85 86 [87] 88 89   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Hughes Horror Collection Page: <<   < prev  85 86 [87] 88 89   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI