Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Hughes Horror Collection

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Hughes Horror Collection Page: <<   < prev  83 84 [85] 86 87   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 19/6/2011 2:49:39 PM   
HughesRoss

Yeah I agree, but to be fair to Insidious, the opening half was the strongest I have seen in a ghost house flick for many of years....that scene with the mother in law around the kitchen table talking about the dream she had was totally crazy and a massive fright to the system......But the problems you mention there is what happens in the last half....

The same old recycle of scenes untill it goes all Freddy towards the climax which made me unhappy because you can tell that this was then set out for the aim to be a new horror franchise.....

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 2521
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 19/6/2011 3:06:00 PM   
elab49

I still read your reviews in case one comes along that's special and worth looking out - something out of the ordinary. Imagine if they took all the bits that worked from the 20-30 of these they make a year (vying only, it seems, with 'a group of nubile young folks head into the woods ) and made a real stonker of a great one 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 2522
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 19/6/2011 4:30:57 PM   
HughesRoss

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I still read your reviews in case one comes along that's special and worth looking out - something out of the ordinary. Imagine if they took all the bits that worked from the 20-30 of these they make a year (vying only, it seems, with 'a group of nubile young folks head into the woods ) and made a real stonker of a great one 

Thanks

Insidious will probably be in my Top 10 of the year only because 2011 has been an awful one for horror.  There are not that many getting released on the DVD front and the Cinema releases are either re-makes or sequels.  The news of Halloween 3 finally getting a release date shows the lack of originality that is in Hollwood, I mean even with the promise of "it going back to the Carpenter vibe" does not thrill me and I can see yet another disaster written all over it.

Insidious is a perfect example of modern horror.  The opening half is perfect but then it sells out to the dumb modern crowd who need everything explained.  The only thing that was missing was a torture scene!!!!

It still better than the other two I watched last night......Pysch 9 and John Carpenter's The Ward. too very similar films with the Ward showing how far the great Carpenter has fallen.....

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2523
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 25/6/2011 8:09:25 PM   
HughesRoss

Rawls, you have a PM mate, in case you do not see it tonight

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 2524
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 27/6/2011 8:58:23 PM   
HughesRoss

WHAT IS IT ALL ABOUT:

Kristen (Amber Heard), a beautiful but troubled young woman, finds herself bruised, cut, drugged, and held against her will in a remote ward of a psychiatric hospital. She is completely disoriented, with no idea why she was brought to this place and no memory of her life before being admitted. All she knows is that she isn't safe.
The other patients in the ward--four equally disturbed young women--offer no answers, and Kristen quickly realizes things are not as they seem. The air is heavy with secrets, and at night, when the hospital is dark and foreboding, she hears strange and frightening sounds. It appears they are not alone.  One-by-one, the other girls begin to disappear and Kristen must find a way out of this hellish place before she, too, becomes a victim. As she struggles to escape, she will uncover a truth far more dangerous and horrifying than anyone could have imagined.

HUGHES VERDICT:

For me to review The Ward, I have to ignore the name that is on top of the film title.  Being John Carpenter must be a curse because every time he announces he is going to do a new horror film, the genre sits up and waits in hope that its the new Halloween or The Thing.  Many film directors would probably love to be in that position, where hype and hope follows every new release even though over the years its usually followed by a disappointment and a need to chuck on an old film of his to remind yourself how good he.........no, I made a vow not to go down that route.  I could easy sell out and do the usual comments of "how he has lost his mojo" and so on, but I refuse to do sol because lets face it, you the reader have probably heard it too many times before and yet many do not realise how false that statement is.  Yes his last classic was the 90's In The Mouth Of Madness which we at HCF love with all our heart, but a few years ago he made Cigarette Burns for TV Show Masters Of Horror, which for me personally is up there with his best work.  Its mostly due to that epsiode that we arrive with this film because the story goes that  Carpenter enjoyed working on the low-budget, fast-paced project so much he wanted to try to make a film using the same principles and style, so with that in mind,  I had high hopes for The Ward on the basis that every legend has one last great film in him, and his return after a exodus  seven years thrilled my bone, but was I heading for a fall once more?

The Ward is set during 1966 where it starts with a distraught and disoriented Kristen burning down a farmhouse and then being sent to a mental institution (a real life home for the insane) where she shares a ward with four equally disturbed patients: the confident Sarah (Danielle Panabaker), the sweet  Iris (Lyndsy Fonseca), the outcast Emily (Mamie Gummer) and the childlike Zoey (Laura-Leigh).  Kristen has no idea why she has been admitted and canít remember anything about her life up to this point.  Her main concern is getting out of the joint and starting afresh, but her hopes are dashed with an evil shadow lurking in the dark, a secret with a murderous intent.

Its easy to find fault with The Ward and believe me many will, but before I say what I think is wrong with the film, I am going to look at the positives and first is that the film looks great.  Its filmed with an eerie style gloom that fits the concept and it owes much debt to the minor classic Shock Corridor which I thought must be the inspiration when Michael and Shawn Rasmussen sat down and wrote the script.  The music itself is considerably creepy even though its not the deft touch of Carpenter himself which is unusual when you talk about an horror he has made.  Instead the duties go to Mark Kilian who offers a rumbling score that is much in tune with Rosemary Baby for its sound!
Also the performances are great.  Heard herself is caving out a remarkable career in the horror field and while Mandy Lane will be the film for me that has to be beaten on her CV, she really pulls in a very good performance as the troubled teenager.  Also the back up is pretty fine too, with Jared Harris (Mad Men-Fame) in the role of Dr Stringer showing a clear case of huge potential. Also there are many moments that many fans of Carpenter will relish.  There are many hints of his splendid horror work with the widescreen formula he worked so well with Halloween in full flow here.  I loved the way that the camera floated along the dark corridor and the mood at times brought back memories of films like The Fog, in fact The Ward is the closet you could get to Carpenter returning to his roots, the ghoul in the dark coming out to attack, its the deft touch of the master that makes this film a watchable fare at times.  There are many levels here which you will see his signature at work.  The slow approach and the unreliance on gore is all Carpenter, here his plan is to make a film rich in suspense, where the terror builds to a high frantic climax-does that sound similar to a 1978 classic? But the biggest problem and the huge flaw that swamps the failure of the film is the plot.  Its so unimaginative and really tiresome that screams out loud to anyone who has seen a film set in an insane asylum.  There is nothing of note here to get excited about, even the ghoul in the middle comes across as the now dreaded J-Horror figure which I can here the sound of sigh from the reader from here.  The mystery itself is not so rich.  Its pretty guessable after the first half hour and while many call this a cheap version of Shutter Island, another film came to my mind but the sheer mention of it here will ruin the third act twist on offer in this because its really like for like.  Only those new to the genre will probably be stunned by the outcome but for me I was hoping that I was wrong and that the makers here were setting me up for a fall.  Sadly my instinct was right and it loses a star for the tired formula. The Ward is not a bad film but its not a good one either.  Compared to some of his last films its a massive step up but it still misses that touch that made films like The Thing such a genre classic.  I have read that Carpenter's heart was not in this and it shows but I disagree.  There are times that I could see his quality shine like a light from the dull script and maybe the problem is that the film does not lack in the direction but of the written word. Its a case of good work Carpenter but next time pick a script which will serve you talent better!...                                                                                                             2 OUT OF 5

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 2525
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 27/6/2011 9:04:03 PM   
elab49

So disappointing. I'll still have it high on my rental list, but I was hoping for a kind of Drag Me To Hell type enjoyment from this one. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 2526
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 27/6/2011 11:28:29 PM   
HughesRoss

FILM:
Siren

DIRECTED BY:
Andrew Hull

WRITTEN BY:
Andrew Hull and Geoffrey Gunn

STARRING:
Eion Macken
Anna Skellern
Tereza Sbrovsa
Anthony Jabre

CERTIFICATE:

RUNNING TIME:
86 Minutes

WHAT IS IT ALL ABOUT:

A group of friends escaping the city for a weekend away have a simple plan, to tour the coast for a relaxing weekend. Things hit a snag when one of the friends spots a seductive, sultry young woman waving for help off the shore of one of many secluded islands along the coast. Reaching out to rescue her turns deadly and they risk everything to get off the island alive.

HUGHES-THE VERDICT

Before I start two things I need to say.  First of all my sympathy to the family of Andrew Hull the director of Siren who passed away last year, this being his first feature film after stints as a Art Director on films like P2 and Get Over It!  I have to be honest and say while Siren is not a genre classic, it does offer many glimpses of immense talent that will be solely missed in the film genre.  The second thing I have to mention is for the younger readers who may need to know what the title "Siren" means:

Greek Mythology. One of a group of sea nymphs who by their sweet singing lured mariners to destruction on the rocks surrounding their island.

There you go, so you can guess which direction the film goes.  I went into this blind not knowing nothing, even the title itself did not register in my mind and even the beginning shows a different path where we are introduced to Rachel (Skellern) in a sexy red dress hitchhiking for a passing car.  Ken (Tudors star Eion Macken) pulls up, she gets in, they exchange glances, drive for a bit before pulling over for a bit of sex at a rest stop.  Half way through it they hear a noise, Rachel stops and its revealed that they are an actual couple who are just living out a sexual fantasy and are on their way to a weekend away on a boat trip with an ex of Rachel.  While they set off, Rachel and Ken decide to have sex again while Marco  (Anthony Jabre) looks on jealous until he spots a young woman on a nearby island waving for help.  Off he goes in search, the boat gets stuck, the three get off and they encounter the mysterious and sexy Silka (Tereza Sbrova).  At first all is fine until one night around a camp fire she starts to sing, and that is when the terror starts.

There is not much I can say about this horror.  Not much happens until the last twenty minutes and I believe many will find it quite a bore and probably switch off way before the climax erupts, but there is something odd to it that made me watch to the end.  The slow build does not really work like it should, simply because the characters are not that very likeable most notably Ken who virtually treats Rachel like a piece of meat with a not so romantic shag on top of the kitchen table that clearly shows why some men are only interested in pleasing themselves.  With uninteresting characters, the film fails to hook the more casual horror fan who probably need a kill to keep them entertained, but Siren is more concerned about building the suspense and the intrigue.  Its like a kind of Blair Witch but the ghost is there among them, talking and breathing.

With a lack of any action the film tries to use sex as its main weapon.  If Rachel is not moaning by the simple touch of Ken, its the looks of jealous rage from Marco which is supposed to give the storyline that edge of a love triangle that never really works.  Even the sex scenes are not really erotic and when Skila enters the mix, the hope is that the sexual energy can carry the film  through its subtle period but when the love around is unconvincing and you the viewer can not feel the spark, then you can guess its going to be a struggle.  Even a bit of girl on girl action failed to entice my slowly fading concentration

But like the overall theme of the film when the Siren sings there is something quite hypnotic about the whole show.  I may have found myself tempted to switch the movie off but I did not simply because I needed to see how it plays out.  While you can criticise the many flaws of the film, there is something quite refreshing about the whole thing especially when it relies on a story than an all out gore fest which is a rarity in horror these days.  Its also nice to write that its a rare film that does not treat the audience like idiots where everything was spelt out for you.  The horror is in the mind games this Siren plays and for a good while I was with these characters confused land bewildered and what was going on!

Siren is not a great film but shows enough to suggest that Hull was a man that could have offered more.  This is a modern-era retelling of Homerís The Odyssey which shows the grand ambtion for such a low budget movie.  The film has some sinster moments that shines at times but the pace is off balance to really strike a chord and it really is a film that will divade many fans.  You will either hate it love it but one thing everyone will agree on is how original the whole thing is in an age where torture movies are all the rage.  

2 OUT OF 5
Andrew Hull 1963-2010

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2527
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 2/7/2011 6:49:03 PM   
HughesRoss

FILM
PULSE 2-Afterlife

WRITTEN AND DIRECTED BY:
Joel Soisson

STARRING:
Jamie Bamber
Karley Scott Collins
Todd Giebenhain

CERTIFICATE:

RUNNING TIME:
89 Minutes

OUT NOW TO RENT AND BUY

WHAT'S IT ALL ABOUT?

The dead have found a way back to our world - through mobile phones and WiFi - and the human survivors have taken to remote areas to escape. When a young girl goes missing, her father must return to the city to battle the dead and dying who have claimed her for their own.....

THE HUGHES VERDICT!

And the award for worst horror film of the year goes too...................

Readers I am being serious when I say that this is the worst horror film I have seen since 2001 Maniacs 2 Field Of Screams, and when my fellow friend Matt Wavish gets to review this he too will say this is his worst since a film called Zombiebeak entered into his life. Pulse 2 is to put in blunt one of the worst sequels in living memory.  It makes the likes of Blair Witch 2 seem a work of art compared to what is going on in this.  I was so bored and stunned by the lack of creative talent and plot drive from start to finish that I really can not believe I wasted a whole 90 minutes of my life watching this shite.  Its so bad that I was all set to write my notice to give to Bat and say I have no wish to write anymore for HorrorCultFIlms if my job is too watch films of this nature.  Yes I have seen awful films in the past, too many to remember if I am honest, but I have to put my hand on my heart and say that is would be up there in the Top 5 of the worst of all time-----yes, its that bad!

Now the original (a re-make to the Japanese J-Horror)  itself is not well known for being popular to the horror fans.  It did not do that well at the box office on release and it has not really gained much love after all this time.  I myself watched it a day before sitting down to watch the sequel and found it too be not has ghastly as I remembered.  It had some effective moments and the lovely Kristen Bell in it and it passed the time away quite nicely even though I have no need to want to watch it again.  The sequel though makes me want to grab my kitchen knife, scrape my eye balls from my socket, wash them in bleach and beg them to forgive me for inflicting such a sight on them.  I am telling you all, my eyes will never forgive me again, I can hear them now from inside my brain, yelling in pain and the words going over and over "why...why....why...why......"

"Just look at the fake background and realise it gets worse"

So where do I start to even explain how bad this is.  Well the jest of the plot is this, Pulse 2 picks up some time after the original with which if you can remember, the ghosts of the undead have taken over the world, using their ability to cross over into the land of the living via wireless communication.  Stephen (Jamie Bamber) is searching desperately for his young daughter Justine (Karley Scott Collins). Once he finds her they head  towards the wilderness where they believe they will be safe from the ghosts but chasing their tale is Michelle (Georgina Rylance), Stephen's estranged and highly unstable ex-wife but here is the twist and its not a good one.  Michelle is a ghost herself, and nothing is going to stop her from getting hold of her daughter for one more time. 

And that is it for plot wise, but now you know please....please do not watch.  This is not a horror film, there is no scares of note just a ridiculous plot of a woman trying to get her daughter back.  Before all that though we have to witness probably the most painful first half hour of any horror film.  I mean we see Michelle just wandering around screaming for Justine and it took me a good 15 minutes to understand what was going on.

"Justine....Justine.....Justine.....Justine......Justine.....Justine"....is the only words we hear and just when you think it could not get more tiresome we then have to witness Stephen reading the Internet diary of Michelle before she died and listen to this self pity of "Why did he have to leave me!" shit where I was screaming at the TV "because you are a miserable bitch and If I was there, I would have put you out of your misery"  I mean I hated her, more than any other horror character I have ever seen, she was just so annoying that I started to spit at my own TV everytime she appeared on screen.  At one stage I had no spit left and I started with my clothes until all I had left on was a pair of pants which did not go down to well with my visiting in-laws at the time, especially the Mum who was sitting next to me!  "I think we better go now Alun" she whispered which I replied "You better had because if that bitch appears on screen again you be seeing something swinging back and fore in front of your eyes and its not the tennis!"....

Oh this is bad, even writing this makes me want to throw up.  The biggest crime is that at the end of Pulse the city was in chaos but in this the remaining humans feel free to just wander around without a care in the world.  When we do get to see them, the CGI is so bad that it virtually puts the trend back 10 years.  Think that effect at the end of Mummy 2 was bad, then you have not seen anything yet.  Most of the film is filmed in front of a green screen and oh boy, you can tell.  Its not so much bad but a downright disgrace and an insult to all fans who have paid for this DVD.

The illogical plot made we want to phone the studio behind this travesty and ask them "are you taking the piss?"....I mean the world is in chaos and yet Stephen pulls over and pays for Petrol?  We were told that all humans had to avoid computers and stuff, yet some of these characters use them because in their words "that is just an urban myth?"- what mate? have you taken a look out of the window recently, most of the human kind have been killed by ghosts who have come out of the computer.....how the feck is it an Urban Myth! 

And do not get me started on the sex scene!

I really wish I could anything nice to say about this movie but I can not.  Its a boring film from start to finish that is littered with terrible effects and acting that is so bad (Rylance I am looking at you) that it will make you weep in despair at such shit.  The actors involved look bored, I was bored, even my dog was bored and you know the most scariest thing of the entire thing....that Pulse III is coming...a thought that scares me more than any second of this film which has the honour of being the first film I have reviewed on HorrorCultFilms to be given the dreaded no star rating....

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!!

0 OUT OF 5

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 2528
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 2/7/2011 7:40:26 PM   
elab49

I needed a rewatch to realise Kairo wasn't your standard (or even) J-Horror, but only one watch to think the remake missed the point even more than I did - terrible stuff. That the sequel is even worse - colour me not all that surprised tbh. 

quote:

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 2529
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 2/7/2011 7:57:42 PM   
HughesRoss

Keep away from it elab......its one of the worst I have ever seen.....joyless, miserable and a lead character that I have never felt so much hatred for...

I actually enjoyed Pulse the second time around this week, only because I hatred it so much originally.  Having watched many more since then (Grudge 3, The Echo) its like a good bad film compared to the other dire films....if that makes sense

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2530
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 2/7/2011 8:05:58 PM   
elab49

Absolutely - duds will always look better in relation to even worse duds!

It's one of the reasons I find ranking so difficult. Take the Hall of Fame. One round a couple of films were nominated that weren't my favourites from those particular directors but I found it really hard to shake that marking down in my head to try and compare them against the other films actually nominated.

quote:

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 2531
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 8/7/2011 10:05:28 PM   
HughesRoss

WHAT IS IT ALL ABOUT:

She's cute. She's loyal. She's psychotic. And, unfortunately for college freshman Sara (Minka Kelly) she's The Roommate. When Sara arrives at school, she finds new romance with Stephen (Cam Gigandet) and forms a fast friendship with her roommate Rebecca (Leighton Meester). What begins as camaraderie soon turns creepy, and Sara comes face-to-face with the terrifying realisation that her new best friend is obsessive, unbalanced...and maybe even a killer!

THE HUGHES VERDICT!

Over recent years there seems to be a new craze developing in the film world.  A phase which I will call "Teen-Make".  It seems really good films of old are being re-made for teenage eyes, a policy that the older generation will frown at.  Rear Window has become Disturbia, Dangerous Liaisons changed to Cruel Intentions and finally Fatal Attraction morphed into SwimfanThe results are safe to say have been nothing more than mixed with only Cruel Intentions having that guilty pleasure vibe which even today I enjoy only for the bitch display from the one and only Buffy The Vampire Slayer.  The one thing those films have in common though is that they are following the blue print of great originals, films that are loved by many.  Sadly The Roommate is taking its style from Single White Female, a film itself that was not that good to begin with.

SWF came out at the tail end of the psychopath genre that dominated late 80's and early 90's horror.  When Glen Close decided to make some bunny soup, a whole new bandwagon leapt out thanks to her psycho mistress and in the space of a few years we had every nut job in shape or form has a cop, a lover, a Step dad, a Step mum, boyfriend, girlfriend, and countless others.  In case you wondering what films are they then I will give you a few to refresh your memory, -Unlawful Entry, The Crush, The Stepfather, Fear, well you can work out the rest! You can see the impact Fatal Attraction had and the very average Single White Female jumped on the genre with its psycho Room-mate which somehow spawned a piss poor sequel a few years back.  This new horror takes that concept and makes it all 90210 and its so lazy plotting that they could not even bother with a good old title, I mean  The Roommate tells you all you need to know about the film. Sara checks into College and is greeted with a new friend who has serious issues and the film goes from one lazy pitch to another.  There is nothing new on offer here, nothing at all to get excited about, the only emotion you will get is the frustration at the Director Christian  E. Christiansen who really treats us like idiots by believing we will be surprised at the outcome that develops.  After their friendship is born, the two friends buy a cat, now I knew what was going to happen to that poor moggie and so do many others who watched horror in the 90's, I mean that kitty would not reach any of his nine lives.  Also do you remember that bit in Single White Female when Jennifer Jason Leigh copied the hairstyle of Bridget Fonda, well here we see Sara have a tattoo around her heart of the name of her dead sister, in honour to remember her by.  Well guess what the heck happens when the 2011's version Rebecca spots it.  Well if you are still wondering then maybe The Roommate may be the one for you. For me I wasted a whole 90 minutes of my life watching this crap.  The script is so bland that it was not even laughable even thought the performance of Meester as the psycho bitch shows that there could have been potential if the everyone had the balls to do it.  The only time for me the film showed any dark edge which is required in any good horror/thriller is when Rebecca starts a lesbian tryst and also when she beats herself to a pulp to make Rebecca believe she has been a victim of an attack.  The rest is just a poor lame film that makes no sense to an average viewer.  Even when Rebbeca has an hint that all is not well with her new friend she does nothing.  The only time she walks away is when she find out Sara takes anti-depressants and even by that action it makes you wonder why Rebbeca is so keen to be a pyscho friend to woman who really has no sympathy. Even worse, it seems everyone behind the camera knew they were making a dud so they tried to add some sexual energy by having Rebeeca masturbate in bed which instead of making me horny made me realise that poor old Messter is really giving her all in a film that does not deserve such a strong performace.  If you want to see a good pyscho houseshare film then The Roommate is not the one, then again neither was the film that this inspires to be!
                                                                                         1 OUT OF 5

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2532
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 12/7/2011 10:18:51 PM   
HughesRoss

FILM
Spiderhole

Directed By
Daniel Simpson

Starring
Amy Noble, Emma Griffiths Malin, George Maguire, John Regan, Reuben-Henry Biggs

Rating

Running Time
82 Minutes

Out Now To Rent and Buy

WHAT'S IT ALL ABOUT?

When four homeless art students decide to take up residence in an abandoned London House, their new home has a hidden secret, a terror in the corridors that watches them and waits. Soon the fight is on for their very lives!

THE HUGHES VERDICT!

Do you remember The Hole?  No not that one by Joe Dante, but the British horror from years back that starred Thora from American Beauty and over very own keira knightly who for a brief moment got her breasts out.  Well lets just say its been re-made in some sort of form but with an added twist of gore-porn.  Yes that's right horror fans, that dreaded term which has swamped horror of recent times is back once more, and if you really need to watch this film then its all according if you can stomach yet another dose of seen it all before torture.

Molly (Emma Griffiths Malin), Zoe (Amy Noble), Toby (George Maguire), and Luke (Reuben-Henry Biggs) are a group of art students who are homeless and on the lookout for a place to stay. Driving along in a van and with their bags packed, they peek at all the empty houses to squat in when they spot a large abandoned place.  They break in, make themselves settled and start to do the usual horror trait of drinking booze and having a bit of sex.  Everything seems perfect but strange noises are heard through the night, explained by the guys as just the old pipes making noise.  But when they awake in the morning, they find themselves locked in, all the doors and windows are steel tight, there is no escape and worse of all there is someone else there with them.  What for? Only time will tell, but when gas begins to come from the pipes on the floor, the friends realise that their lives are in danger and only a few will survive the night!

"Oh dear, I am starring in yet another Hostel rip off!"

The shadow of Hostel looms large over Spiderhole.  Any chance of any originality is way out of the window when we hit the middle section and I suppose many like myself will sigh at the outcome of this very film.  That is a shame though because for the first half the horror stands its ground very well.  The build up holds the intrigue really well, the gang waking up to find themselves locked in made me really want to see the development but its all ruined by the torture angle that is simply become a normal fixture in modern horror.

I would have loved to have seen Spiderhole just become a sick game of a madman who has locked these people in the home and watch them self destruct, but no, its inspires to the likes of Saw and co which ruins any hope of enjoyment because lets face it, once you have seen one eye ball gorged out you have seen them all.

Spiderhole becomes tedious and bland, the outcome seeing young women running around in the dark screaming for help while looking for a way out.  Its never once scary or even thrilling, at its worse it comes across more of having a pointless existence because lets face it, why watch this when you can just chuck on Hostel?

Fans of these may well find a lot to enjoy because it does run the checklist to what the formula requires really well but for me personally I am sick of these films.  There is no more fun to be had and after seeing films like Serbian film, there is nothing more to shock us either.  Boring is the word you can simply describe to what you seeing.   The only way forward for these films is probably a Scary Movie type self parody because make no mistake, gore-porn like Slash, J Horror and many other cycles before it, is dying at his own surgical hands!

1 OUT OF 5

< Message edited by HughesRoss -- 12/7/2011 10:19:57 PM >

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 2533
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 14/7/2011 4:11:19 PM   
rawlinson

Finally got round to seeing Insidious. Given I was never that impressed with Saw and I think Dead Silence is one of the worst horror films I've ever seen, I actually really enjoyed it. There's little that's original and you can play "What haunted house film is this a reference to?" for most of the film, but it's quite well crafted and mostly enjoyable. I agree it loses its way in the second half, but as you say, the first half is exceptional. There's some great performances, especially from Wilson and Byrne. And any film that gets Tiny Tim on the soundtrack for what's meant to be a major scare scene deserves a watch. 

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 2534
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 19/7/2011 7:31:01 PM   
HughesRoss

Post deleted

< Message edited by HughesRoss -- 9/3/2012 11:06:43 PM >

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2535
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 24/7/2011 5:48:50 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I was in HMV yesterday, browsing the horror section, desperately trying to recall the names of any films that had been given a good score in this thread. I failed. I'll make a list next time

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!
Post #: 2536
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 24/7/2011 9:03:28 AM   
matty_b

Hughes, I'm more of a browser in this thread than contributor, but thought you might be able to help me name a film from my youth. I've posted in the usual threads, but never found the answer.

It was an 80s horror film and starts with a car accident of some sort that knocks somebody into a lake where he drowns and is never recovered. A few years later a passing comet awakens his corpse(!) and he goes on the rampage. The only other details I remember is that it's set near a university or college campus so the cast is fairly young, there's a scene in a cafteria where one kid says to another "Just eat your waffles" and it ends when the corpse has cornered some people in a shop late at night when the comet passes over again, killing him.

Any ideas?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 2537
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 24/7/2011 10:58:52 AM   
HughesRoss

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

I was in HMV yesterday, browsing the horror section, desperately trying to recall the names of any films that had been given a good score in this thread. I failed. I'll make a list next time

.....I am doing by duty at the moment to promote such films like MaleVolence, The Objective, The Torment, The Reef, and the film above

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 2538
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 24/7/2011 11:10:35 AM   
HughesRoss

Matty.......You are not getting two films mixed up?  Just spent an hour scanning my sources but to no avail....the closet I have got to is The Wraith and I was a Teenage Zombie.....

Everytime I ask abou the comet scene the only answer I get back is the "Night Of The Comet"!

Take a gander and type in 80's Horror Movies on goggle and a site comes up that is the best on the net.  It has nearly all the films released in that era, with covers and everything, and I have just spent a while looking for you, but maybe a title or image will refresh you memory.  Honestly, Matty, if you do not find it on there you never will....

Please let me know!

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 2539
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 24/7/2011 12:02:59 PM   
matty_b

Yeah, Night of the Comet is the one people keep thinking it is, but I'm sure that's not it - and I very may well be getting two films mixed up into one.

If I find out, I will let you know.

quote:

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 2540
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 24/7/2011 2:25:42 PM   
rawlinson

Are you sure it was 80s? Because I'm coming up with the same things as Hughes. The other question, was the zombie a drug-dealer? If so then it's I Was a Teenage Zombie and you've got the car/comet stuff from elsewhere. 

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 2541
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 24/7/2011 2:30:09 PM   
rawlinson

One more question, was there one zombie or did more get resurrected?

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2542
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 24/7/2011 2:37:32 PM   
HughesRoss

Why?, Have you got an idea Rawls......I have spent all day looking for this.........the trouble with it is I have discovered some forgotten gems that I know what to see again!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2543
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 24/7/2011 2:37:58 PM   
matty_b

I'm pretty sure there was only one and he wasn't a drug dealer.

However, it might well have been a 70s film - it was definitely in colour, though.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2544
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 24/7/2011 2:38:53 PM   
HughesRoss

.....(Hughes to know look at all 70's films)

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 2545
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 24/7/2011 2:41:07 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: HughesRoss

Why?, Have you got an idea Rawls......I have spent all day looking for this.........the trouble with it is I have discovered some forgotten gems that I know what to see again!

It would be a very loose fit, but I was thinking of something like Night of the Creeps, with the spaceship being mistaken for a comet in Matty's memory. It would have the school type setting, and maybe mixing it up with a few other films could have explained why it wasn't a great match.

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 2546
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 24/7/2011 2:41:33 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

I'm pretty sure there was only one and he wasn't a drug dealer.

However, it might well have been a 70s film - it was definitely in colour, though.

Ok, we can cross off I Was a Teenage Zombie.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 2547
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 24/7/2011 2:43:48 PM   
HughesRoss

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: HughesRoss

It would be a very loose fit, but I was thinking of something like Night of the Creeps, with the spaceship being mistaken for a comet in Matty's memory. It would have the school type setting, and maybe mixing it up with a few other films could have explained why it wasn't a great match.

That was one of the first I looked at........this was the worst thing Matt could have done today, because I am not bothering with the news on HCF....this is like a determination....

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2548
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 24/7/2011 2:56:25 PM   
matty_b

Hm, it does sound more like I Was A Teenage Zombie than Night of the Creeps. However, the latter is on YouTube, so that might be the one I can watch first...

quote:

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 2549
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 24/7/2011 3:12:07 PM   
rawlinson

Why do I have a horrible feeling that this is going to be a minor sub-plot in a  film? 

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 2550
Page:   <<   < prev  83 84 [85] 86 87   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Hughes Horror Collection Page: <<   < prev  83 84 [85] 86 87   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI