Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Hughes Horror Collection

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Hughes Horror Collection Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 22/7/2009 10:44:06 PM   
HughesRoss

This Halloween Review has moved to page 70                                                    

< Message edited by HughesRoss -- 4/11/2010 1:47:30 PM >

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 121
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 22/7/2009 11:23:05 PM   
HughesRoss

HALLOWEEN 6

THIS REVIEW HAS MOVED TO PAGE 71

< Message edited by HughesRoss -- 4/11/2010 1:48:08 PM >

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 122
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 22/7/2009 11:52:25 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I think a lot of the dislike, though, is from people who've seen the original and think as well as making a film they aren't a great fan of, Haneke rather pompously appears not to realise he's undermined his entire point through repitition.

Did we miss Hallowe'en 3 somewhere?

Now I really like Funny Games US, but mostly for the acting, but I would agree here. I would prefer it though, just for the acting.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 123
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 23/7/2009 12:23:51 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

Haneke pompously

You can use those two words to start any sentence about either version of Funny Games. Sorry, but I think it's an abomination and pretty much the cinematic equivalent of Mervyn Griffith-Jones asking if Lady Chatterly was the kind of book you'd want your wife or servants to read.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 124
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 23/7/2009 12:54:57 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

Haneke pompously

You can use those two words to start any sentence about either version of Funny Games. Sorry, but I think it's an abomination and pretty much the cinematic equivalent of Mervyn Griffith-Jones asking if Lady Chatterly was the kind of book you'd want your wife or servants to read.

Hush old man.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 125
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 23/7/2009 1:00:45 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

quote:

Haneke pompously

Hush old man.

Even 300 is better than Funny Games.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 126
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 23/7/2009 1:04:29 AM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

quote:

Haneke pompously

Hush old man.

Even 300 is better than Funny Games.

You'll be telling you've been visited by nocturnal talking tractors next.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 127
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 23/7/2009 1:29:11 AM   
rawlinson

Even Gxxx is bet... nah, it's still worse than Funny Games. Not by much though.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 128
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 23/7/2009 1:36:49 AM   
barkers101

quote:

Even Gxxx is bet... nah, it's still worse than Funny Games. Not by much though.

Umm...what?

"Man is born crying, When he has cried enough, he dies"

quote:

ORIGINAL: TRM

I will join as long as we can spell Mozoguchi's name right

Vote for you Favourite World Cinema DVD here!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 129
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 23/7/2009 1:42:48 AM   
FritzlFan

Forrest Gump.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to barkers101)
Post #: 130
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 23/7/2009 1:47:03 AM   
barkers101

I know, i was asking why

"Man is born crying, When he has cried enough, he dies"

quote:

ORIGINAL: TRM

I will join as long as we can spell Mozoguchi's name right

Vote for you Favourite World Cinema DVD here!

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 131
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 23/7/2009 9:02:41 PM   
HughesRoss

EVENT HORIZON

Its amazing how many people love this film, and how many say it scared the crap out of them!  It also amazes me that a film that does create a good atmosphere and some great effects was directed by Paul Anderson who done such an awful botch job with AvP.

The pioneering research vessel Event Horizon vanished without trace...  Many years later a signal from it as been detected and the United States Aereospace Command Responds led by its captain Laurence Fishburne, along with its original ship designer Sam Neill are sent out.  Their only mission is to find and salvage  the state of the art spacecraft.  But on arrival and then on board, they slowly realise that someone or something is on board.  An unimaginable force that will soon have them all fight for their very lives...

A huge box-office smash that really is a mix of Alien and The Shining, it has great set-pieces and some jump out moments, and while its a great watch, its overall plot is just a mish mash of better films.  For me it is clearly Anderson's best film, and as I said he creates a great spooky feeling and the intrigue of finding out what happened to the ship will keep you watching.  The final reveal though spoils it all....a dumb twist that wrecks everything that went on before..

How Anderson made such a complete mess of the Alien film is a huge shock as it clearly shows in this film, that he had the talented to really do the film justice...its a shame he blew it!!

OVERALL: Many friends of mine rate this as the scariest film ever!  I just laugh at those claims.  It is a good watch though even if you have feelings of hate towards
                   a Mr Anderson..........3 out of 5

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 132
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 23/7/2009 9:26:17 PM   
HughesRoss

THE RELIC

Another huge Box office hit and one flick that I am quite fond of as its dumb fun and hugely enjoyable.  Peter Hyams jumps on the Alien bandwagon with this, a creature flick set in a musuem.

Penelope Ann Miller and Tom Sizemore are the heroes, who fight off an unknown creature who smuggled his way into one of the crates from a foriegn country.

It takes a while, setting the mood up nicely, until the hour mark, when the shit really hits the fan.  It explodes into a fast range of set pieces that glue you to the seat, with SWAT, kids, and visitors all paying the price for a night out with the antiques.  The creature may now look tame but it was designed by the awesome talents of Stan Winston and that gives any creature horror fan a reason to watch!  It really is a good romp, and fully justified the takings it showed at the box-office.  Even to this day there is talk of a long awaited sequel and if it does come to the fore....then maybe its time for every horror fan to take a look at the original....

OVERALL: Silly but huge fun, an underated creature flick that many have forgotten.......3 out of 5

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 133
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 23/7/2009 9:41:24 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: HughesRoss

HALLOWEEN 6

Paul Rudd the underated comedy genius is the star of this film.......

There you go, the only good thing about the movie to mention.  I usually go a few films before going back to the franchise of films but I feel in the mood now to write about this.  I am a huge Halloween fan, its my favourite of all horror franchises and I love all the films in its own little way.  But I have to be fair and as a film fan  I have to be honest.   THIS IS SHITE!!!!!  You know the film is in trouble when you see the first glimpse of Michael.. Such a funny sight as he looks as if he as ate too many pies.  We all know he walks every so slowly, but in this film he has do as he is in no fit state to run.  Its so laughable you really need to see him.  We also have a script full of holes and stupidy that it knocks 2 nails more into the franchise.

The plot sees the film move a few years on from the 5th and we find out that both Jamie and Michael have disappeared since the shoot out at the police station.  We catch up with Jamie (no longer played by Danielle) with a child who may or not be Michaels....  She escapes from where she is held only for her uncle to follow and before you know it we back in good old Haddonfield for yet another Halloween.  You think if that town had a mayor, he would ban that from the calender?

Paul plays Tommy, the young boy from the original who Laurie babysat that fateful night, and he has become obsessed by the masked pyscho.  Dr Loomis returns for the last time ( sadly Donald Pleasence died during production) and the film moves for a stupid cult and its all in the stars about one child born into evil...blah...blah...blah... I am not going into any of that crap...its just nonsense.  Its so far removed from the basic prinicple of John Carpenter's film that its quite scary.

As always there are one or two stand out moments, The bit with Michael in the hospital surrounded with babies and then killing the doctors.  The bit where the young boy runs across towards the house where Michael is in adds a bit of shocking tension, but again its weak and very poor and only for fans like me who love the series.

OVERALL: Shocking is the fact the worse was to come, poor film though for non fans.....1 out of 5

Halloween 6 aint that bad dude, its certainly better than Halloween 5!

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 134
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 23/7/2009 9:50:38 PM   
losthighway

quote:

Don't care, not discussing it.

And don't you dare turn Hughes nice horror thread into another scene of 300 discussion devastation, Deviation.

Hallowe'en 2 wasn't the season of the witch one, was it?

Did somebody mention the opportunity to turn this thread into a discussion about men with bulging biceps in tight loin cloths... I'm here!!!

300 was OK,... a wank fantasy, nothing more!

As for Halloween films, well H20 is fabulous (cos I have a full on robot chubby for Josh, apparently! ). Have to say I quite enjoyed Part 4: The Return of Michael Myers.

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 135
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 23/7/2009 10:05:36 PM   
HughesRoss

DK.....

As I wrote, I love them all as a Halloween fan and a slasher fan, but to judge them as a normal film fan I have to give them a proper rating.  I enjoyed the 6th but lets be honest it went itno the mythology of stars and moons cycles and all that crap, it was just nonsense. Danielle Harris makes pts 4 and 5 and that is why I believe they are better films.....

As for you Losthighway I have not rated H20 yet and as you keep on talking about him, you really must have a thing for Josh....one word..... DENIAL.....

And if you think my rating for pt6 is bad, you wait until Resurrection...I am sharping my knife as I write

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 136
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 23/7/2009 10:30:18 PM   
losthighway

DENIAL! Moi...

Will somebody get those bloody women (and that dodgy rapper!) out of the way... they're blocking Joshua!  

As for Resurrection... do not mention that film. It is an abomination!

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 137
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 23/7/2009 10:47:36 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: HughesRoss

THE RELIC

Another huge Box office hit and one flick that I am quite fond of as its dumb fun and hugely enjoyable.  Peter Hyams jumps on the Alien bandwagon with this, a creature flick set in a musuem.

Penelope Ann Miller and Tom Sizemore are the heroes, who fight off an unknown creature who smuggled his way into one of the crates from a foriegn country.

It takes a while, setting the mood up nicely, until the hour mark, when the shit really hits the fan.  It explodes into a fast range of set pieces that glue you to the seat, with SWAT, kids, and visitors all paying the price for a night out with the antiques.  The creature may now look tame but it was designed by the awesome talents of Stan Winston and that gives any creature horror fan a reason to watch!  It really is a good romp, and fully justified the takings it showed at the box-office.  Even to this day there is talk of a long awaited sequel and if it does come to the fore....then maybe its time for every horror fan to take a look at the original....

OVERALL: Silly but huge fun, an underated creature flick that many have forgotten.......3 out of 5

I love The Relic. Sadly I have a couple of their books for mindless reading as well.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 138
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 23/7/2009 10:48:34 PM   
HughesRoss

HALLOWEEN H20

This review has moved to page 72

< Message edited by HughesRoss -- 4/11/2010 1:49:29 PM >

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 139
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 23/7/2009 11:22:05 PM   
HughesRoss

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

DENIAL! Moi...

Will somebody get those bloody women (and that dodgy rapper!) out of the way... they're blocking Joshua!  

As for Resurrection... do not mention that film. It is an abomination!

They not blocking him, they making sure he is safe from your lustful advances.....

Look at his hard face....."Help me....my No 1 fan is looking at me again....Help!!!"

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 140
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 24/7/2009 7:38:20 PM   
HughesRoss

BRAINDEAD

The thought that tickles me when I watch this flick is that there are some fans out there who probably nerver heard of Peter Jackson until he took reigns on the Lord of the Rings trilogy.  Looking around to see what else this gifted director done, they stumbled across this 1992 effort, and how I would love to have been there to see their faces as they watched in horror and amazement....

Lets make no mistake, this is so far away from that Ring series that its quite shocking, but at the same time, a delightful sick bag of a romp that I totally love!

While every year some magazines claim any up and coming Zombie flick is "the new Evil Dead", they seem to forget that we have already had it and to be to the point, this, makes the infamous flick feel like a stroll in the park!

Mother's boy Lionel Cosgrove  is 25 and has never been kissed.  Then one fateful day in 1957, Lionel's life is changed forever.  Drawn to a lovely Spanish girl called Paquita, the couple plan a trip to the local Zoo.  Thinking they are alone, the two young lovers are unaware that they are being watched by Lionel's possessive mother.  While too busy spying, she stumbles across a cage which contains a vicious Sumatran Rat Monkey which sinks his teeth into her deep flesh.

When the wound transforms into a virus, Lionel and his new girlfriend are plunged into a spiralling nightmare, and so do any one watching.

It really is a sick but funny film, with body parts dropping off, blood spluttering across the scene, and the set piece where they take the young zombie boy to the park is fantastic, a real OTT scene that is downright funny.  It really is one of the best Zombie films, a total off it picture that only lacks a "Ash" to make it complete. How Peter got from this to LOTR is simply mind blowing but it makes you hope that he go full circle and return to the likes of this and his earlier film Bad Taste.

OVERALL: Not a date movie and not for the faint hearted, its a Zombie film full of blood and guts and the end is totally bonkers...super sick fun   3.5 out of 5

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 141
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 24/7/2009 7:55:10 PM   
HughesRoss

CHILD'S PLAY

A franchise more infamous now due to a sad true life case, the Chucky series has had more ups and downs than any other Slasher flicks, but with a re-make in pre production, its a franchise that simply will not go away.

This is where it started, directed by Fright Night helmer Tom Holland and starring the Vampie of that film Chris Sarandon, this is a quite a stylish horror that many seem to judge as crap when its actually quite clever.  6 year old Andy Barclay's babysitter is pushed out of her window to her death and the clues point to the little boy.  Nobody believes his werid claims that "Chucky!" his new birthday doll did it, until of course things take a turn for the worst!!!!!  For the doll is possessed by a mass killer who plans to transfer his soul into the young boy, before he is trapped in the dolls body forever.

The effects have quite hold up after all these years, and its still a great watch with some fuuny gags, the best being the old women's comment "what an ugly looking doll!" to which Chucky replies "Fuck you!"  Brad Dourif provides the voice and does a smashing job in a film that launched a series of sequels, with one actually being better than this! 

The films builds into a roller coaster finale, that you cry out for in a Horror and it has a playful tone to it all....

OVERALL: With a re-make due, it maybe time to take a look at how the series began all over again.  Really enjoyable....3.5 out of 5

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 142
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 25/7/2009 3:00:35 PM   
HughesRoss

If anyone is enjoying this thread, I am having difficulty with my Internet at the moment and I am struggling to post any more reviews...

This Mobile broadband is total dire at times

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 143
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 25/7/2009 3:43:10 PM   
elab49

Bummer

I didn't know Childs Play was getting remade. I see Dourif is rumoured to reprise though. I still like the original but the quality is all down after that, IMO.

Should your sig be a link?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 144
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 25/7/2009 6:42:56 PM   
HughesRoss

I am totally lost when it comes to all that Elab...how would I get my sig to be a link?????

I don't know how to get an Avator like your lot.... Oh how I dream of  a Michael Myers Avator...(I don't really dream)

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 145
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 25/7/2009 6:53:51 PM   
elab49

< a href=http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2432039&mpage=1&key= target="_blank"><u><b>Hughes Horror Collection</b></u></a >

That should probably work (or can be corrected by better HTML people than me!) if you remove the spaces between the < and the a at the start and the end. But you'd have to shorten the rest of your sig as it is a bit too long.

Av? Find the pic you want. Rightclick and save as a file on your PC. Go to Image shack US and upload that file. Take the link they give you and put it in your registration settings (or I could do it if you want).

if you want a moving Av - ask the nice bods in Knowledge base. They apparently do great work.

quote:

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 146
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 25/7/2009 6:58:56 PM   
HughesRoss

You must be the most over worked Mod on this Forum!!!!

Thanks!!!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 147
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 25/7/2009 7:46:46 PM   
Dantes Inferno

Really enjoying this thread, man. Always fun to read stuff by someone with such a knowledge of a genre like yourself. I swear, one day I'm going to march down to the rental store and grab me a bunch of horror films and just watch them all in a row. I don't care if they are bad, 'cause I love the genre so much.

What would you say are your favorite horror films?

President of The Wire fan club. PM me to join.

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 148
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 25/7/2009 8:59:46 PM   
DCMaximo

Can't believe I've not noticed this thread before, especially as I love a good (or even better, bad) horror film. I also love the fact that, computer problems aside, you're rattling through these reviews at a fair speed. Leprechaun In The Hood is well worth watching. It's no masterpiece, but it's ridiculous, low-budget fun. Unlike Dead End, which is one of only 5 films I'd give 1/10. Looking forward to seeing what comes next.

The Spanish Inquisition of the 'Get Carlton Banks a TV Spin-off' Association

"Carlotta was the kind of town where they spell trouble T-R-U-B-I-L, and if you try to correct them, they kill you"

(in reply to Dantes Inferno)
Post #: 149
RE: Hughes Horror Collection - 25/7/2009 9:15:42 PM   
HughesRoss

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dantes Inferno

Really enjoying this thread, man. Always fun to read stuff by someone with such a knowledge of a genre like yourself. I swear, one day I'm going to march down to the rental store and grab me a bunch of horror films and just watch them all in a row. I don't care if they are bad, 'cause I love the genre so much.

What would you say are your favorite horror films?

That is so hard to say....

I love all kinds (even the ones that I gave a harsh review on here )

I suppose the ones that are my Fav's are the films I have rated out of 5....saying that there a few that have just missed that mark, that I love as well.  My wee Mum sat me down at the age of 5 to watch a little film called Halloween and that was it, as well as being scared out of wits, I found myself wanting more, and back in those days on a Friday night were a double Hammer Horror, so I guess that seeded the genre in me!!!

I am not fond of the re-make craze though.  Many take the mythology out of either the character or story and whatever NEW they put in, just does not work.  The Friday 13th re-make and of course Zombie's Halloween proves that!!!!

As for the upcomming Freddy Flick, well.....I have major doubts.....

Thanks guys for the positive comments, glad you are enjoying it!!

(in reply to Dantes Inferno)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Hughes Horror Collection Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI