Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Movie of the year

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Movie of the year Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Movie of the year - 26/11/2009 10:20:14 AM   
tyson766

Don't know how I missed this when it came out originally, as I love both Sam Rockwell and sci-fi. Heartbreaking performance from Rockwell, great soundtrack, and great debut from Jones.

More British films like this please.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 121
brilliant - 28/11/2009 9:14:33 PM   
nomans

A very emotional, thought-provoking movie.

Post #: 122
Haunting Movie. - 29/11/2009 9:37:05 AM   
joanna likes films

Moon was given rave reviews so I check it out and watched it. It has a chilling presence throughout the film, it creeps to the acident where the real fun truely begins. It's not one of those films that has a lot of violence or action, it has a story that needs you to pay attention to what's happening. The pefomances are great from Sam Rockwell and Kevin Spacey's voice over, the music is haunting though it ended weridly it's a film to definaly check out.

Post #: 123
RE: Haunting Movie. - 14/12/2009 10:29:38 AM   
Skillgannon

Fantastic film. One of the very best of 2009.
I missed the cinema release due to lack of showings in my area but I can guarantee the dvd will be getting multiple showings.

(in reply to joanna likes films)
Post #: 124
RE: Haunting Movie. - 14/12/2009 4:16:27 PM   
spamandham

A bit of a hidden gem this one. The rapidly changing smiley faces of the HAL type computer were both hilarious and disturbing. 

(in reply to Skillgannon)
Post #: 125
senational - 18/12/2009 9:04:25 PM   
duncansby

absolutely great film - deserved a larger audience. Do yourself a favour and rent/buy the dvd/bluray

Post #: 126
sensational - 18/12/2009 9:04:28 PM   
duncansby

absolutely great film - deserved a larger audience. Do yourself a favour and rent/buy the dvd/bluray

Post #: 127
Sci-Fi how it should be - 29/12/2009 1:23:28 PM   
verbalkint1

Actually watched this on Sky movies over Xmas and have to say really enjoyed it. There has been a worrying trend in recent years for SF that is big on action and not much else. Be it on TV or in the cinema more thoughtful SF has been badly treated in my opinion. As a movie release Moon did not even make it to my local cinema which is sad, because this is an excellent movie. The story is interesting and disturbing and the look of the movie is as the Empire reviewer says that 1970's or 1980's feel and look. Sam Rockwell is superb, and though it must be difficult to basically be the only actor in the film he pulls it off superbly. My only slight grumble is the very end which I found odd and to be honest not needed. However this doesa not distract from the fact that this is a superb movie and a great debut.

Post #: 128
Great bit o skyfi - 31/12/2009 5:28:39 PM   
slashdot

A great story; the implications of Sam Bell(s) plight are horrifying. Sam Rockwells performance is brilliant.

Post #: 129
- 6/1/2010 11:33:29 PM   
TheGodfather

In his directorial debut, Duncan Jones shows us what years of loneliness can do with a man.
For 3 years now, Sam is all alone in a lunar base on the moon to make sure that a project runs as it should. The project has to make sure that energy is gathered from the lunar surface so that it can be used on earth. But after 3 years, with only 2 weeks to go, the loneliness is really starting to get to him.
The great thing about Moon is that Jones is totally dependable on the acting performance of just one person, his leading man Sam Rockwell. The film stands or falls with his performance. Luckily for Jones, his performance is great. Rockwell plays his role with great dedication and it`s great to see how he really dives into it.
Jones` direction is excellent. He makes a few great choices in the story and by doing so he keeps the tension in the film. The sets are beautiful and the score from Clint Mansell (who know from his heartbreakingly beautiful score for The Fountain) is great.
It`s a truly special achievement to deliver such an intriguing film as your debut feature. One that`ll be spinning around in your head for quite a while, one that really warrant multiple viewings.

8,0/10

Post #: 130
One of the best movies of the decade - 15/1/2010 3:41:26 AM   
nc_jj

One of the most hauntingly beautiful and mesmerizing films of the decade. Really, they don't make sci-fi movies like this. Rockwell deserves a standing ovation.

Post #: 131
Awesome - 16/1/2010 11:23:07 PM   
ieuanmorgan

Amazingly good, loved every minute. Sam Rockwell is great.

Post #: 132
RE: Awesome - 17/1/2010 1:05:57 AM   
KaeruJim

I didn't really get all the hype for this one to be honest.

While it's fantastic to see PROPER Sci-FI out there again, and from a British director too who obviously cares about the genre, it just didn't quite do enough for me,

There's nothing I didn't like about it particularly, and the central performance was good. I think I didn't quite believe the story, that at some point in the future the kind of horrendous corporate torture of workers would be possible in this sense. It's a concept that's been covered before in many guises, and although there was some originality in its delivery here, I'm personally a bit bored with the whole corporate-exploitation-in-space thing. Outlander, Alien (+++), Silent Running, etc. etc. There is an incredible wealth of high-quality and still relevant Sci-Fi literature out there from as far back as the 40s which we now have the technology to realise on film, I don't know why Directors aren't reading more Asimov in particular... but that's another tangent.

I'll probably watch it again sometime to see if I missed something, but for me probably a worthy 3 or 4 stars, and promising mark in the sand for this director.

(in reply to ieuanmorgan)
Post #: 133
RE: Awesome - 24/1/2010 6:49:13 PM   
Uncle_Ethan

I have to agree with the previous post, Moon is a good adult Sci-Fi movie, but I am not sure it deserves comparison with the classics like 2001 or Alien. There are some obvious nods towards 2001, but overall I found the build up to the major plot revelation far more interesting than the pay off.

That being said the movie is well worth a look and Sam Rockwell is excellent as usual.

(in reply to KaeruJim)
Post #: 134
RE: Awesome - 27/1/2010 4:38:51 PM   
steflon

i've posted about this fim in other threads, thought i should come share my views with the folk in the proper designated thread

no before i start i'd just like to say, directing is brilliant, Rockwell is amazing (as he always is) an overall, i enjoyed the film, yet there were a few flaws that bought it down for me

the realization of 'Clean Sam' seemed as tho they were reveling a twist in the movie, even tho his situation was obvious, it seems hi would have known his plight as soon as they found the room
secondly, the visions Dirty Sam had of his daughter made no sense. it was briefly explained that he has memory implants so that should explain why he's seeing his daughter...but the implants would be from the original Sam and as such, his memories of his daughter would be of when she was a baby, not a teenager which he see's her as.
and thirdly...did they really have to rush the ending? we see the shuttle entering earths atmosphere, we hear a bunch of voices explaining what happens, all in about 30 seconds, it was just a big mess of voices and done. If i had coughed during it i would have missed the conclusion.
oh and GERTY must be one of the most tedious characters ever, yes the lil smilies were a nice touch, and his willingness to help gave him a bit of non-machinery emotion, but he didnt seem as menacing or compassionate as he should have!

apart from those moments (the daughter thing being a BIG letdown for me) the film was, as i said very good

www.twitter.com/Steflon
http://onedayiwillhavehenchmen.blogspot.com/

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols
we can roam these vast Empire halls as awesome Stefs.

ORIGINAL: hiptobesquare_x
'and that's why Steflon is all kinds of awesome.'

(in reply to Uncle_Ethan)
Post #: 135
RE: Awesome - 12/2/2010 12:52:39 PM   
BigKovacs

Brilliant film!

SPOILERS AHOY!!!!!!!!!!!

It may have been covered but what's the joke with Dream of Genie and who did Sam see just before he crashed and who was the woman sitting in the chair? I don't think she was in the film at all bar that scene?

Sorry for the brief questions, I'm supposed to be working!!

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to steflon)
Post #: 136
RE: Awesome - 14/2/2010 11:03:57 PM   
MHill

I'm loving the British film releases at the minute. 'Moon' is another great film to go on my wish list alongside 'Tony' and 'Fish Tank'.

Denzel Wasington - "It's simple: You get a part. You play a part. You play it well. You do your work and you go home. And what is wonderful about movies is that once they're done, they belong to the people. That's where my head is at."

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 137
RE: Awesome - 8/3/2010 5:44:35 AM   
wgamador

Utterly brilliant on so many levels.

Check out my mini-review in Fun and Games, Mini-Reviews Thread......

Glad my fellow movie viewers also recognize the gem that this film is.

"And as he, who with laboring breath has escaped from the deep
to the shore, turns to the perilous waters and gazes..."

(in reply to MHill)
Post #: 138
RE: Awesome - 21/3/2010 7:54:44 PM   
robwillphill

Reservoir Dogs is the best debut film and for me, this is the second best. Given it is a "Sci-Fi" (a worn out genre in recent years), this delivers on so many levels. Although the setting is on the moon, I feel this film is less of a sci-fi and more of an emotional rollercoaster. Kudos to Sam Rockwell who gives a fantastic performance - I don't get emotional while watching films, especially not in this genre, but Sam is such a exceptionally strong force that I felt a connection with the character in his desperate situation. If you haven't seen Moon, buy it, because it is worth every penny.

9/10

http://youtube.com/audience

Check out my latest films:
- http://youtu.be/Z2zrRi06Rb0
- http://dai.ly/fSojJ3

---------------------------------------------------

Stewie: We're playing house
Lois: But that boy's tied up
Stewie: It's Roman Polanski's house

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 139
RE: Awesome - 22/3/2010 10:05:59 AM   
TheSpleen

How did Sam Rockwell not get at least an Oscar nod? Idiots.

(in reply to robwillphill)
Post #: 140
RE: Awesome - 22/3/2010 6:52:27 PM   
robwillphill

God knows... He should have been nominated, but I think Jeff Bridges deserved the awards, or should I say... THE DUDE.

http://youtube.com/audience

Check out my latest films:
- http://youtu.be/Z2zrRi06Rb0
- http://dai.ly/fSojJ3

---------------------------------------------------

Stewie: We're playing house
Lois: But that boy's tied up
Stewie: It's Roman Polanski's house

(in reply to TheSpleen)
Post #: 141
RE: Awesome - 22/3/2010 6:55:06 PM   
TheSpleen

Oh hell yeah don't get me wrong i was ecstatic that Jeff Bridges won the Oscar and it was a fully deserved win. Just felt they could have sneaked Sam Rockwell on the list at least.

(in reply to robwillphill)
Post #: 142
RE: Awesome - 25/3/2010 1:59:10 PM   
wgamador

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheSpleen

How did Sam Rockwell not get at least an Oscar nod? Idiots.

Here im thinking he wouldnt be eligible until next year but its not true.

HOW IN THE LIVING FUCK DOESNT HE GET A NOMINATION?
HE was BRILLIANT!!!! Usually only Christian Bale leaves me memsmerized at his performances. Fuck you hollywood you stupid fucks.

"And as he, who with laboring breath has escaped from the deep
to the shore, turns to the perilous waters and gazes..."

(in reply to TheSpleen)
Post #: 143
BigKovacs - 3/7/2010 5:08:21 PM   
law2137

Just watched this film and loved it. I think the vision just before the crash and the girl in the chair may be the first signs of Sam becoming ill as his contract comes to an end. Although it could just be to keep you guessing as to whether Sam is just loosing his mind.

Post #: 144
bit depressing - 10/7/2010 11:15:06 PM   
tysmuse

Amazingly atmospheric. Rockwell is great as always - doubly great here. Not the most exciting movie I've ever watched though. I'm a fan of movies that take a more cerebral approach, but this just could have been a bit more... i not sure, a bit more something! That this was shot for 5 mil is staggering, though!?

Post #: 145
Bravo!!!!!! Damn that rockwell is astounding - 12/7/2010 10:13:41 AM   
monkeyhumour

And the crew and director putting this together on a shoe-string budget is incredible

Gotta watch it again for Sam Rockwells stellar performance

Post #: 146
- 16/7/2010 11:17:31 AM   
LunarIndustries

Amazing. Disappointingly overshadowed in the box office by blockbusters this is pure sci fi. It ranks up there with the classics such as 2001, Blade Runner and Alien for it unlocks the key element of sci fi. It challenges what it means to be human. Must see.

Post #: 147
- 23/8/2010 12:50:36 AM   
white mage

A brilliant film. This film gives Sam Rockwell hies moment to shine and he does an outstanding job of it.

Post #: 148
Perfection on celluloid - 16/9/2010 4:14:59 AM   
thereallovefilm

Normally, I shy away from sci-fi. It was incredible luck that I caught this movie. For a story in one setting, with one actor really to hold one's attention both the story and the acting have to be nothing less than perfect. Sam Rockwell was so excellent in this role I had to remind myself he was just acting. After I came back to earth (couldn't resist, sorry), I had questions about my own views on personhood.This is a rare film that combines escapism with great questions into what makes us human. It's very intelligent, at times funny and incredibly moving. In other words, this movie is a perfect movie if there ever was one.

Post #: 149
Moon - 30/8/2011 2:01:54 PM   
Macavity

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigKovacs

Brilliant film!

SPOILERS AHOY!!!!!!!!!!!
who did Sam see just before he crashed and who was the woman sitting in the chair? I don't think she was in the film at all bar that scene?

SPOILERS AHOY!!!!!!!!!!!
It's his daughter. Now in her teens.

Just watched it last night.Wow - what a film! Loved it.

Next on my list: Silent Running.

< Message edited by Macavity -- 30/8/2011 2:04:20 PM >

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Movie of the year Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI