Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

LOW BUDGET OLD SCHOOL BRILLIANCE

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> LOW BUDGET OLD SCHOOL BRILLIANCE Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
LOW BUDGET OLD SCHOOL BRILLIANCE - 18/7/2009 5:53:01 PM   
ROTGUT

Liked this film.......a lot........proper functional sets and excellent old fashioned model work - no fake looking green screen CGI sets here (George Lucas take note). Sam Rockwell ought to be Oscar nominated for this performance- but can't see it happening though. And what a shame that this film is opening within the shadow of the vast cinematic juggernaut known as Harry Potter. Moon deserves a big audience......go see folks!!!!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
RE: Moon - 18/7/2009 7:51:13 PM   
R W

Director: Duncan Jones
Screenwriter: Nathan Parker
Starring: Sam Rockwell, Dominique McElligott, Kaya Scodelario, Kevin Spacey (voice)

Synopsis
As he approaches the end of his three-year contract, in which he sends back from the moon, parcels of a resource that has helped diminish Earth’s power problems, astronaut Sam Bell (Rockwell) has an unexpected encounter with someone very familiar (Rockwell).

Review
We are now living in a time where sci-fi has become a sub-genre for Hollywood’s most brainless actioners like I, Robot and even worse, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, a film where storytelling is dead and there’s two and a half hours of unnecessary stuff. But fortunately, some sci-fi that’s done on a shoestring budget comes along and we haven’t lost our love to the genre. And this is where Moon comes in.

Like Danny Boyle’s Sunshine, director Duncan Jones’s debut is a homage to a lot of 70s sci-fi cinema where space is the backdrop and the theme of humanity is central rather than effects. I did prepare myself for this film by watching classics like Solaris and Silent Running just to know what sort of film to expect.

While there are several references to those all-time greats, Moon has many ideas to keep you gripped through out and explore the pain of our protagonist. The film combines the idea of being the only person in space, as well as dealing with the psychologies of a damaged mind and the thought of a conspiracy. Each of these ideas has been individually explored before, but Jones and screenwriter Nathan Parker brings them altogether to bring us an original yet familiar mystery-thriller.

Done in a very limited budget, Jones’s debut feels big with the use of scale-models and the perfectly-cleaned and high-tech production design. Another technical aspect to take note of is Clint Mansel’s atmospheric music that ultimately gives the film emotion and darkness at the same time.

Now to put the technical part of the film aside, this is a one-man show (or better yet a two-man show) as Sam Rockwell plays a man who has an estranged family life, a decent relationship with the ship’s computer GERTY (voiced gently by Kevin Spacey) and most worrying, being with someone who is literally himself. A tough role it is, but Rockwell gives us a performance that many will discuss about.

Verdict
Duncan Jones’s futuristic debut is a stunning and gripping thriller that is dominated by a stellar performance by Rockwell. Oh, did I tell you that the director is David Bowie’s son?

Post #: 32
RE: Moon - 18/7/2009 10:03:46 PM   
JIm R

Simply stunning, go see !

5 Stars

(in reply to R W)
Post #: 33
Moon Rocks - 19/7/2009 2:58:16 AM   
SpiderBat

And so does Sam Rockwell. Brilliant. One of the themes seemed to me that it's what's inside that counts, which helps the character to (sort of) overcome a complete mind-fuck of a situation. I loved the directions the film took, including with GERTY - very refreshing. Classic, intelligent, thrilling race against time premise, and genuine emotion. Duncan Jones seems like a chip off the old block talent-wise. Burn your local cinema down if they don't play this.

Post #: 34
Moon Rocks - 19/7/2009 2:58:18 AM   
SpiderBat

And so does Sam Rockwell. Brilliant. One of the themes seemed to me that it's what's inside that counts, which helps the character to (sort of) overcome a complete mind-fuck of a situation. I loved the directions the film took, including with GERTY - very refreshing. Classic, intelligent, thrilling race against time premise, and genuine emotion. Duncan Jones seems like a chip off the old block talent-wise. Burn your local cinema down if they don't play this.

Post #: 35
RE: Moon - 19/7/2009 9:59:07 AM   
Mojo

Managed to see this at the Tyneside Cinema in Newcastle, a beautiful little cinema for a beautiful little film. Moon was absolutely stunning and I was absorbed from start to finish. The effects are fantastic considering the budget, I loved the model work on the exteriors for the base and vehicles; reminded me of the first two Alien films. Sam Rockwell is astonishing, he carries the entire film on his shoulders and deserves all the praise he's been getting. Duncan Jones is such an exciting director, I cannot wait to see what he does next.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to SpiderBat)
Post #: 36
M-O-O-N spells great. - 19/7/2009 7:37:16 PM   
adambatman82

Moon (2009)

A startling science-fiction film from a young British talent is hardly the regular fare of an average "saturday night at the movies", but in Moon that is exactly what we had last night.

The story of Sam Bell (an Oscar nomination worthy Sam Rockwell), the lone worker at a mining colony on the moon, Moon deals with issues of identity, being and sanity. Whilst out on a routine call one day Sam has an accident, and reawakens back in the moon base he calls home. As Sam is the only person on the moon the actual event raises several questions. Who brought Sam back to the base? Did Sam actually have an accident, or was it an extended version of the hallucinations that he'd been suffering? Why does he have the urge to go back to the crash site?

One of the most impressive factors as to how Moon works so well is simply because everything fits into place, and everything has an answer. Most importantly the revelations don't feel audacious or over the top, and within the context of the story they are actually believable. By the end of the feature we are left with a satisfying and rounded story, and one that doesn't outstay its welcome or push its luck. Thematically the film deals with the sort of issues one would expect from a dystopian science-fiction thriller from the 1970's. As the events unfold, and details of a corporate-led conspiracy unfold we are reminded of the likes of Soylent Green and the original Rollerball. Tonally we see traits of Outland (which incidently, is due a late night rewatch this week) and the often lauded Silent Running, with their "key protagonist in space" story-lines.

The visuals of the film impress, if not for the high quality that has been achieved on a very modest budget. The outside locales of the surface of the moon remind heavily of the Supermarionation-based work of Gerry Anderson, with the wonderful model work being a hint at a time gone by in terms of film making. Its beautifully executed work, and oozes charm when placed next to the overt-CG of the average summer blockbuster. The interiors of the film largely consist of one location, which is not only an effective budgetary device, but a strong cinematic tool for enforcing the claustrophobic nature of the film. Alongside Rockwell the only character with any real screen-time is GERTY, an on board robot that deems itself protector of Sam. Hal-9000's legacy dictates that no film-starring computer is to be trusted, although I was very happy with the way GERTY's arc panned out. Kevin Spacey provides the emotionless vocal touch to GERTY, reinforcing the films clinical and claustrophobic constitution.

Accompanying the wonderful visuals is a pitch-perfect score from Clint Mansell, who proved himself to be a composer of interest through his work with Darren Aronofsky (his score to The Fountain being a staple of the modern football advertisement). The score successfully conveys the contradictory nature of the protagonist's emotions incredibly well, with the dual nature of the score, half being drum based, the rest reliant on piano, reflecting our hero well.

As mentioned in my opening statement, Moon deals with notions of identity. As the true intentions of the narrative are made clear this proves incredibly (and even somewhat surprisingly) emotive. We genuinely feel for the character(s?) on screen, and can't help but attempt to avoid the inevitable truth that lay ahead. I was at loggerheads as to how to approach this piece on the film, as it's usually not my intent to consciously avoid spoilers, but in the case of Moon I will, and tackle the film more fully when it sees DVD release. Moon is a film that I can imagine I will return to, pore over and admire for quite some time.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 11/5/2011 11:35:13 AM >

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 37
RE: Fucking disgrace - 19/7/2009 8:08:29 PM   
lamby

quote:

ORIGINAL: hughjass

quote:

ORIGINAL: lamby

quote:

ORIGINAL: eboe

Tell me about it! I've got an 'unlimited' pass that apparently entitles me to 'unlimited' films but it's more like 'unlimited' 'blockbusters' (otherwise known as 'unlimited' shite).

However, I am 'lucky' enough to have a VUE cinema 10 miles away thats showing it but if it wasn't for that I would of had to travel 50+ miles!!! Even tho it makes my blood boil that I will have to pay to watch a film that I have effectively already paid for but because Cineworld are blinkered and complete sellouts, I now have to travel to the 'dark' side. BASTARDS!!!

Im sorry but you are the idiot here. You are the one willingly paying Cineworld £13/£14 a month to watch this so called shite. If you expected Cineworld to show smaller films then you are an even bigger fool. I once had a cineworld pass, but when I signed up I new full well what to expect.

Another idiot here then! My nearest cinemas at home and work are both Cineworld and given that I like to go at least once a week, there's no way I could afford it at another chain. It's a shame that other cinema chains don't do similar schemes. Annoying though, that I can't get to see everything that's released using it.

Sorry no, im not the one whining about paying for something and moaning about a cinema chain whilst also moaning and being narrow minded about blockbusters. Its comes across elitist. All Cineworld do is (mostly) put on movies that interest the masses. Just like 90% of cinemas. This is a well known fact.

< Message edited by lamby -- 19/7/2009 8:09:08 PM >

(in reply to hughjass)
Post #: 38
Sam Rockwell rocks! - 19/7/2009 10:42:31 PM   
mike2005

Just returned from a 92 mile round trip to see this.Worth the trip? Absolutely!

< Message edited by mike2005 -- 19/7/2009 10:44:43 PM >

I go to pieces so fast that people get hit by the shrapnel.

(in reply to lamby)
Post #: 39
RE: Sam Rockwell rocks! - 20/7/2009 8:11:22 AM   
tftrman

Went to one of my least favourite cinemas in Birmingham to watch this yesterday. Very glad I did. Rockwell was brilliant as usual, hopefully it'll help propel him to greater recognition. Considering this was his feature debut, it was a very assured film by Duncan Jones - looking forward to seeing what he does next.

(in reply to mike2005)
Post #: 40
RE: Sam Rockwell rocks! - 20/7/2009 12:19:15 PM   
wombathog

I especially liked the use of 'The One and Only' given certain plot details.

'Would you mind dear sir if I asked you a question, If music be the food of love are you the indigestion?'

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 41
RE: Sam Rockwell rocks! - 20/7/2009 3:26:05 PM   
David Somerset

My review, copied from my blog, The Incredible Suit:

"Really very good indeed, though not quite so good that I'd buy the DVD"

I know, it's a bit deep as reviews go but I was feeling intellectual.

(in reply to wombathog)
Post #: 42
RE: Sam Rockwell rocks! - 20/7/2009 3:40:57 PM   
tftrman

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Somerset

My review, copied from my blog, The Incredible Suit:

"Really very good indeed, though not quite so good that I'd buy the DVD"

I know, it's a bit deep as reviews go but I was feeling intellectual.

Insightful! [image]http://www.empireonline.com/forum/micons/m11.gif[/image]

I'll definitely be buying the DVD when it comes out.

< Message edited by tftrman -- 20/7/2009 3:44:08 PM >

(in reply to David Somerset)
Post #: 43
RE: Sam Rockwell rocks! - 20/7/2009 3:54:40 PM   
CORLEONE

Surprised so many have seen this considering it's not on anywhere within a thousand miles of me....

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 44
RE: Sam Rockwell rocks! - 20/7/2009 6:04:40 PM   
Rgirvan44

Moon is a brilliant film. Go and see it. That is all.

p.s – while everyone got the “I am the one and only” joke, how many of you got the Bewitched joke?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 45
Over the Moon - 20/7/2009 9:42:22 PM   
Neo_One

A truly great film and possibly the best thing I've seen the likeable underachiever Sam Rockwell do. We've always known he has screen charisma but this is actually an acting vehicle for a change. Whilst he's not exaclty Oscar material his screen presence is felt in an original film where all concerned should be thoroughly pleased with their work.

My only disappointment seems to be the limited cinema release. Odeom either seem to be holding it back or just not interested. Please spread the word of mouth about this film - you won't get any complaints from the recomendees.

Post #: 46
RE: Sam Rockwell rocks! - 20/7/2009 11:03:00 PM   
Bickle

quote:

ORIGINAL: mike2005

Just returned from a 92 mile round trip to see this.Worth the trip? Absolutely!

Just returned from a 96 mile round trip to see it! Definitely worth it!

(in reply to mike2005)
Post #: 47
Amazing! - 20/7/2009 11:46:53 PM   
TheHazman

Just got back from seeing this and I loved it. 1. Sam Rockwell was so good. The entire film is carried on his shoulders. Had he been a lesser actor then the film would have fallen flat on it's face and you wouldn't have cared about the character. 2. The use of models was so refreshing. How ever good CGI is, you can always tell that it's fake but because Moon has used models, you are seeign real working objects and that makes it so much more believable. 3. I love Girty. GO SEE IT!

Post #: 48
Moon - 21/7/2009 8:01:27 PM   
moviemaniac2

Parallels with classic science fiction 2001 is somewhat inevitable here, . Spacey as simple computer, GERTY, is a prime example; it's an obvious nod in the direction of the seminal Kubrick classic. This is Rockwell's movie, though, and he shines. It is essentially just him on screen for the vast majority of the film, and he is excellent. Jones too deserves massive credit for crafting such an impressive, and foreboding production. It may not reek of originality, but this is still an extremely smart sci-fi movie, and it's been a while since we've seen one of those.

Post #: 49
RE: Fucking disgrace - 21/7/2009 9:40:56 PM   
Clarence Worley

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: hughjass

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: eboe

Tell me about it! I've got an 'unlimited' pass that apparently entitles me to 'unlimited' films but it's more like 'unlimited' 'blockbusters' (otherwise known as 'unlimited' shite).

However, I am 'lucky' enough to have a VUE cinema 10 miles away thats showing it but if it wasn't for that I would of had to travel 50+ miles!!! Even tho it makes my blood boil that I will have to pay to watch a film that I have effectively already paid for but because Cineworld are blinkered and complete sellouts, I now have to travel to the 'dark' side. BASTARDS!!!

Im sorry but you are the idiot here. You are the one willingly paying Cineworld £13/£14 a month to watch this so called shite. If you expected Cineworld to show smaller films then you are an even bigger fool. I once had a cineworld pass, but when I signed up I new full well what to expect.

Another idiot here then! My nearest cinemas at home and work are both Cineworld and given that I like to go at least once a week, there's no way I could afford it at another chain. It's a shame that other cinema chains don't do similar schemes. Annoying though, that I can't get to see everything that's released using it.

Sorry no, im not the one whining about paying for something and moaning about a cinema chain whilst also moaning and being narrow minded about blockbusters. Its comes across elitist. All Cineworld do is (mostly) put on movies that interest the masses. Just like 90% of cinemas. This is a well known fact.

Um ... i just saw it in Cineworld! Cineworld in Cardiff shows loads of great little movies, so you shouldn't tar the Cineworld name just because your local one is shitty!

Great film, highly recommended!

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven. I can't live with that.

That's what they're saying about me now? That I'm paranoid?

(in reply to lamby)
Post #: 50
RE: Moon - 21/7/2009 9:53:37 PM   
clownfoot

Marvellous. Absolutely marvellous. 

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to moviemaniac2)
Post #: 51
RE: Moon - 21/7/2009 10:04:50 PM   
sanchia

I am going to have to try to get to Cinema City this weekend.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 52
Refreshing Change! - 22/7/2009 7:15:20 PM   
Dave25

Watched this at the weekend and really enjoyed it. The Empire review pretty much sums it up, if you like intelligent scifi like Silent Running and Blade Runner you will like this. Another thing Empire got on the mark was "When he finally cries, “I just want to go home,” hearts will break" possibly one of the saddest scenes I have seen in a film in a long time and acted beautifully by an on form Sam Rockwell, don't leave your heart and brain at home for this one.

Post #: 53
RE: LOW BUDGET OLD SCHOOL BRILLIANCE - 22/7/2009 10:17:32 PM   
wgamador

This isnt playing near me anymore. What bullcrap.
But Bruno, Transformers 3 and other crap is playing in several theatres......
do these multiplexes really need Bruno playing on three screens AT ONCE?!

Looks like ill be seeing MOON on blu-ray when it comes out.

"And as he, who with laboring breath has escaped from the deep
to the shore, turns to the perilous waters and gazes..."

(in reply to ROTGUT)
Post #: 54
RE: LOW BUDGET OLD SCHOOL BRILLIANCE - 23/7/2009 6:46:19 PM   
24Dan

Thought it was very good if a little predictable.But will watch again when its released on dvd/blu-ray

Professional Analrapist

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 55
RE: LOW BUDGET OLD SCHOOL BRILLIANCE - 23/7/2009 7:56:04 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

Trying to decide when to see this, might be Monday, I really hope so 

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to 24Dan)
Post #: 56
Attack of the Clones - 27/7/2009 1:26:51 PM   
Gold Digger

Love the Outland look and feel. But I did not think this was very interesting story wise. The twist was revealed far too early and there was no tension. Shame as it looked like it was heading somewhere interesting.

Post #: 57
Moon update - 28/7/2009 2:17:36 PM   
Damon_Wise

FYI, from official Moon sources:

So! Moon will be moving screens in the UK this coming Friday, July 31st… not sure which ones it leaves, but I CAN tell you which ones it is moving to! Check out this little set of venues..

Vue Islington
Cineworld West India Quay
Barbican Centre (TBC)
Greenwich Film Theatre
Coronet Notting Hill
Odeon Wimbledon
Broadway Letchworth
Cineworld Birmingham
Watershed Bristol
Liverpool FACT
Cineworld Nottingham
Cineworld Didsbury
Vue York
Vue Cambridge
Metro Derby
Cineworld Brighton
Dundee Contemporary Arts
Zeffirellis Ambleside

(in reply to hughjass)
Post #: 58
RE: Moon update - 28/7/2009 3:47:30 PM   
richCie

for anyone who hasnt seen this DO NOT READ THE SIGHT AND SOUND review. not only do they post a synopsis first that details the entire plot (seriously why do they do this?) but the review then goes on to give away many of the plot developments.
fucking sight and sound. i've already seen the film and it still pisses me off.

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Damon_Wise)
Post #: 59
RE: Moon update - 28/7/2009 4:35:53 PM   
bigbadbeasty

Just came back from seeing Moon. I have to say I really enjoyed it. It was a refreshing change of pace to most of the films I have seen recently, with a solid performance from Rockwell.

The twist was a little too obvious, but other than that it was a joy to watch. It reminded me of Sunshine, but while not quite as visually stunning, it didn't have a film ruining last 30 minutes.

I would highly recommend it to all.

As others have mentioned their cinema experience, I thought it would only be fair to share mine. I had the pleasure of watching it at the Duke of York Picture house in Brighton (which I believe is the oldest continually run cinema in the UK), they sell beer and cake too :)

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> LOW BUDGET OLD SCHOOL BRILLIANCE Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI