Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Ryan Reynolds Talks Deadpool

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Ryan Reynolds Talks Deadpool Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ryan Reynolds Talks Deadpool - 3/7/2009 9:54:54 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 3/7/2009 9:54:54 AM   
Leeorami 2.0

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the 4th wall?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 3/7/2009 10:11:39 AM   
lickmyinjuries

It means the boundary between a fictional setting and the audience. When a character acknowledges the auidence etc, they're breaking the fourth wall.

Post #: 3
4th wall... talking to the camera. - 3/7/2009 10:26:55 AM   
GeneralZod

It's from theatre terminology where the stage is viewed as a room of four walls, the fourth being the invisible line between audience and performers.

When done right, breaking the 4th wall can make a movie.

Most effective as a comedy device (eg, the pork belly discussion in Trading Places) though the ending of Goodfellas is perhaps the only time it's even been done to successful dramatic effect.

Post #: 4
- 3/7/2009 10:30:43 AM   
deathbat6661

This makes me a very happy bunny. I'm really looking forward to this film. Now all we need is confirmation that it's going to join the ranks of Blade and The Punisher age-ratings wise and I will be completely put at ease.

Post #: 5
RE: 4th wall... talking to the camera. - 3/7/2009 10:33:12 AM   
Evil_Monkey25

For me the best example of breaking te 4th wall is High Fidelity... it offers an insight into the mind and thoughts of the character in a way that normal dialogue doesn't...

(in reply to GeneralZod)
Post #: 6
- 3/7/2009 10:35:04 AM   
Anduril666

Does anyone know if there's any particular reason that Deadpool has had all this 'fourth wall' talk around it for so long? i.e. is there something about the character or something that would lend itself to this? Because discussions about breaking the fourth wall with this film have been flying around for ages when nothing else about the film is known at all. I just wondered if anyone knew if there was a particular reason to be going down this route with Deadpool. . .

Post #: 7
RE: - 3/7/2009 10:47:06 AM   
homerbert

Deadpool's big gimmick in the comic is that he's aware that he's in a comic. He takes the usual marvel caption boxes a step further than most and does lots of funny story mocking. It's not a million miles from something like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. When it's done well in the comics, it's great. Trickier to get right in a movie.

Eoin

(in reply to Anduril666)
Post #: 8
- 3/7/2009 11:00:06 AM   
Anduril666

Does anyone know if there's any particular reason that Deadpool has had all this 'fourth wall' talk around it for so long? i.e. is there something about the character or something that would lend itself to this? Because discussions about breaking the fourth wall with this film have been flying around for ages when nothing else about the film is known at all. I just wondered if anyone knew if there was a particular reason to be going down this route with Deadpool. . .

Post #: 9
YAWN.... - 3/7/2009 11:47:53 AM   
ROTGUT

I can't tell you how excited I am that a Deadpool movie is being made....starring Ryan reynoldzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........

Post #: 10
@Anduril666 - 3/7/2009 12:15:36 PM   
shanewire

There's so much talk about having the character break the fourth wall cause in the comics he breaks the fourth wall. Simple as. He's aware he's in a comic and frequently jokes about it. Its done brilliantly in the comics, I look forward to seeing if the movie can do it as well.

Post #: 11
- 3/7/2009 12:22:27 PM   
sinj

Deadpool is the meat!

Post #: 12
- 3/7/2009 1:29:15 PM   
Anduril666

Thanks for the clarification homerbert, nice to know. I can see how that might work well with a wise-cracking character like Deadpool, but they'd have to be careful to make sure it doesn't descend into parody and make it hard to take the film seriously.

Oh, and to everyone else, apologies for the double-post, didn't realise hitting refresh did that. . .

Post #: 13
watch Better Off Ted. He narates to camera the whole time - 3/7/2009 1:47:27 PM   
Teamwak

Works a charm in that :)

Post #: 14
Could - 3/7/2009 2:04:05 PM   
jimoakley666

Could be cool. Could be shiz! A cross between High Fidelity, Gross Point Blank,Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Blade would work. Right?

I'd love for them to keep the costume and ha. And they cannot show his face for the majority of the movie at all!!!

Now all they need is a brave and bold director. Someone like Robert Rodriguez or, dream of dreams, Quentin Tarantino. But seriously, my vote would be for Joe Carnahan or Martin Campbell.

Post #: 15
RE: Could - 3/7/2009 3:57:24 PM   
Marwood

Happy to hear that Reynolds wants to make the next iteration of Deadpool more faithful than the version in XMO: Wolverine.
I've never really read Deadpool and don't really keep up to date with comics apart from The Punisher and the more adult stuff (Preacher, Transmetropolitan, Y: The Last Man etc.) but I love the idea of having a Marvel character breaking the 4th wall on film.
While that can be really, really cheesy I think it work work brilliantly if the overall tone of the film was similar to Iron Man - serious but fun - but Deadpool himself is aware that it's not real. It's a really interesting idea but could turn into a bad parody quite easily too.

Plus of course by doing this it would have to be standalone so being a spin-off is an odd way to go about it seeing as the X-Men films were serious (despite gaping flaws in X3 and Wolverine). Also, I'm wondering if the events of Wolverine will even be mentioned seeing ala Liev Shreiber somehow morphing into Tyler Mane between Wolverine and X1 or if Deadpool will come up with some weirdo explanation for it all. I vote for clone if they go with that option, it's a cheat but very easy and hopefully won't piss off too many fans.

As for Reynolds - he's a good comedian and I think physically proved himself in recent years via Smokin Aces, Balde 3 and Wolverine (despite only being in that for about 2 minutes). Looking forward to seeing where this goes...

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to jimoakley666)
Post #: 16
RE: Could - 3/7/2009 4:03:03 PM   
homerbert

If you're in to your Vertigo, particularly the writers that mix humour and drama so well (Ennis, Vaughn, Ellis) you really should check out Joe Kelly's Deadpool run. It's almost up there with Preacher as one of my favourite comics. Skip straight to Volume 2, the first volume is written by other dudes and is unrelated.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deadpool-Classic-TPB-Joe-Kelly/dp/0785137319/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246633225&sr=8-1

The Joe Kelly issues are the reason anyone likes Deadpool and why Reynolds is a fan. Superb.

Eoin

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 17
- 4/7/2009 3:01:22 PM   
lona_no_friends

If they could get Shane Black to write the script Id probably have a stroke (in a good way)

Post #: 18
the ending - 5/7/2009 12:28:30 PM   
astoroth

theres another secret ending where it turns out he's actually alive and (for some freakin' reason) NOT weapon X. X is just some...er....clone thingy? so they'll either use that as their excuse or just ignore x men origins all together. frankly, i reckon the movie will be balls- like elektra. Ryan reynolds presence doesn't make it fool-proof= Blade trinity anyone?

Post #: 19
Excited! (cautiously optimistic) - 6/7/2009 3:18:24 PM   
tai0316

I am very happy with the news that Deadpool will break the 4th wall, I was hoping they weren't stupid enough to miss that. Ryan is going to be great! And this is the Marvel universe, as commented there is another ending to Wolverine and in the comics no one has to stay dead, plus I do believe in the comics Deadpool was decapitated once and got his back, right?

Post #: 20
Hmm - 8/7/2009 3:03:47 AM   
jtravtrav74

I'm pretty stoked on this 4th-wall breaking...anyone who's read any Deadpool (or especially when Cable and Deadpool shared a comic) knows breaking the 4th wall and generally saying and doing glib detached things while killing people is what Deadpool's all about.

Also, Deadpool has been depicted as being decapitated at least one other time that I know of, and lost numerous limbs...his regenerative power is usually depicted as being stronger than Wolverine's, not to mention the 4-6 times he's been revived from the dead, there's really no explaining necessary for the end of X-Men Origins: Wolverine, but if you want one, here it is: Deadpool's a badass and can't be killed.

Post #: 21
Empire has no comic readers on staff. - 10/7/2009 1:09:13 AM   
gundamgirl1

the bit about having to undo the whole of the wolverine movie just shows that empire has no comic readers on there staff, as we all no that deepool has an ever better healing factor than logan, they have fought before, deadpools lost his head before. what did he do last time, just stuck it back on. maybe the staff should read some comics before writing. Facts writing staff please get some.

Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Ryan Reynolds Talks Deadpool Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI