Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sunshine Cleaning - 23/6/2009 9:14:48 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
I loved this film - 23/6/2009 9:14:48 PM   
droo_face

I think your three star rating is fair enough but I think its worthy of just one more star; it made me laugh and cry and I enjoyed every second of it. I think there is a possible Oscar future for Blunt and i think Amy Adams has been shunned twice too many, maybe next time ay.

A definite 4 star.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
mmmm - 25/6/2009 1:21:22 PM   
Flaygor

Pretty good summary Angie. I have to go with Droo though and say 4 stars seems more deserving. Great performances all round, a little lightweight in tone but largely excellent.

Post #: 3
Excellent. - 28/6/2009 4:54:28 AM   
nc_jj

Fresh, sweet and overwhelming. Steve Zahn did an incredibly excellent work in this picture. Amy Adams, as usual, is wonderful in this film. Emily Blunt was, also superb. And, Alan Arkin was Oscar-worthy. A fine film, with a fresh screenplay and smart directing. I hope that more films like this come in the near future. I smell Oscar.

Post #: 4
RE: Excellent. - 28/6/2009 1:54:52 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

Very lovely film that also has a dark side, both Adams and Blunt are terrific (I can't decide who I love more, though Blunt's hair is great ) whilst Arkin is as dependable as always and Zahn is strong if underused. There's humour and drama in equal measure and a superb premise.... maybe not as good as Lil Miss Sunshine, but a terrific antidote to Transformers: Salvation 

4/5

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to nc_jj)
Post #: 5
- 28/6/2009 4:56:20 PM   
Spengo

Just felt flat and incredibly tedious. The performances are good, but the film as a whole is really quite weak and charm-free.

Post #: 6
Sunshine Cleaning - 29/6/2009 9:07:03 PM   
moviemaniac2

With a tone very much reminiscent of the recent Little Miss Sunshine, 'Cleaning' is far less delightful altogether. Apart from the aforementioned problems with the script, nothing really happens for the entire middle of the film, and it doesn't pick up at all for the final third. It's still amusing in parts, though, thanks to Arkin, Blunt and Adams; but it's often far too frustrating to really enjoy. There are a lot of fractured relationships here, and many of them scoot by without a mention. Who is Adams' kid's father? What kind of relationship did their mother have with their father that would cause her to such drastic action? Why would you leave your kid with a creepy, one-armed guy with a pony tail you barely know?

Post #: 7
RE: Sunshine Cleaning - 2/7/2009 11:16:22 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Agree with the general consensus. It's a pretty weak script and the direction isn't up to much. But really strong performances from Adams, Blunt & co elevate the film.

3/5

< Message edited by Qwerty Norris -- 2/7/2009 11:17:08 PM >

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to moviemaniac2)
Post #: 8
RE: Sunshine Cleaning - 8/7/2009 6:17:56 PM   
R W

Director: Christine Jeffs
Screenwriter: Megan Holley
Starring:Amy Adams, Emily Blunt, Alan Arkin, Steve Zahn, Mary Lynn Rajskub, Clifton Collins Jr.

Synopsis
In order to raise the tuition to send her young son to private school, single mom Rose Lorkowski (Adams) starts an unusual business -- a biohazard removal/crime scene clean-up service -- with her unreliable sister Norah (Blunt).

Review
Following the critically acclaimed success of the over-rated Little Miss Sunshine, the producers have come up with a new project, in which they use the word "sunshine". You might think the producers are not ones for imaginative titles. However, this film is not to be underestimated.

Based on the 2001 National Public Radio "All Things Considered" report, Megan Holley's script explores the inner-workings of cleaning up environments following crime scenes. This is what gives Sunshine Cleaning its dark sense of humour as we follow the two sisters, who are quite opposite to one another, going through this nasty business for the first time.

While it has its funny moments, the film works well for drama thanks the internal struggles of both Rose and Norah. Rose is an uptight single mum who many see her as a typical maid, as well as going through an affair with a sleazy detective, played by Steve Zahn. As for Norah, she is basically the boozer of the family who is not only the screw-up but the one who is more connected to her family. When these two opposites are together, you will both laugh and even shed a tear.

Even though the film is heartwarming, director Christine Jeffs surprisingly doesn't shy away from the grittiness that the story incorporates, as there are horrid images of blood and biohazard chemicals roaming around in used homes, as well as strong emotional scenes that are quite tough. Unlike Little Miss Sunshine, this is more grounded in reality, due to the grittiness and realistic deptiction of the characters.

While its screenplay has to be given credit, Sunshine Cleaning also stands out as an actors' film, due to the central performances by Amy Adams and Emily Blunt. While she's great doing fluffy roles, Adams is convincing a struggling single mum trying to fit in with a more upper-class world. Without a doubt, Emily Blunt is an indie girl at heart as in this, she brilliantly makes her character funny and tragic and is not seen as an annoyance through out.

As for supporting performances, Alan Arkin as the sisters' cranky father does provide the laughs when it comes to scenes with Rose's son, but doesn't bring any importance overall. 24's Mary Lynn Rajskub plays a key character in a subplot, which is supposed to explore a lot more of Norah's past and personality. It is obvious what the writer was trying to, but this is just one character too many. Still, Blunt is the scene-stealer of the film.

Verdict
Now here's a dramedy that has more of a touch of darkness than Little Miss Sunshine, with the acception of terrific performances.

Post #: 9
Sunshine Cleaning - 31/10/2009 12:34:59 PM   
bicyclerepairman

I agree with the general opinion on sunshine cleaning, i couldn't help compare it to little miss sunshine and i think that affects me being truely objective. which is a shame because i really wanted to enjoy it.

found a brilliant article on the film you guys should take a look.

http://www.itsnotatumour.com/kimitsnotatumourcom/so-its-about-a-kooky-family-but-its-not-little-miss-sunhine-2-though-kim-haydon-reviews-little-miss-sunshine-2/

Post #: 10
Enormously entertaining! - 4/2/2010 9:45:12 AM   
The Voice of Fate

This is a fabulous film, offbeat, heartwarming, funny and sad. It was an excellent "slice of life" film, where the lives are a little off the beaten track, without having be tortured and angst-ridden. Missing this favourite ingredient of Empire reviewers may be why it only got 3 not 4 stars. My wholefamily laughed, cried and ended up happy. You can't say fairer than that!

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Sunshine Cleaning Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI