Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread Page: <<   < prev  33 34 [35] 36 37   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 27/7/2010 9:09:04 PM   
The Lensman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Lensman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

Why is it 'brilliant politics'? - isn't this suppose to be F1 where engineering and skill are it's peak?  I wouldn't ban them I'd just knock off the points. No one would do it again if they knew it would mean wins/ race positions scrubbed.

Because it creates this exact conversation, if the sport didnt have the characters, the lifestyle, flamboyance and politics we'd might as well be watching some motor racing you find on Eurosport 2! Things that happen OFF of the track is just as entertaining on it for me.

Every fan needs a hero, needs a villian, you need someone to cheer and someone to despise. Everyone needs the brilliance and the damn right outrageousness to talk about. You need it. I need it. And without it, you wouldnt want to watch it at all.

That to me makes it thoroughly brilliant.

If it was just a boring 3 day event where everyone is chummy, where no one breaks the rules, where you have a gracious winner and an even more gracious loser - are you telling me, you'd watch this???

Points wont get knocked off as they will soon abolish the rule, and that ends this debate.

You're confusing exciting rivalries with cheating here.

And yes I would watch it, not everybody has such low expectations of sportsmanship as you seem to.

That to me isnt exciting - watching a fair share of Eurosport/Motor TV makes you realise that very quickly. Great technical feats, but as a spectator's sport for the everyman - utterly boring.

I'm just not surprised that it happens like some people. Been watching F1 for a Long time, so nothing really shocks me when people push the boundaries. Consider the thing with Renault - That was ridiculous! but did they get banned? No, because Renault are a supplier of engines to some other teams. Ferrari do the same and bring in the fans! Theres a high percentage of fans throughout the world who wear Ferrari Red when going to the event. Alot a money that Bernie/FIA/and other teams cannot do without.

So will they be banned? No.
Will they get docked points? Possible
Will they docked points if Alonso wins the Championship? HELL NO.
Will they get a stern telling off? Not likely.

All thats gonna happen is.................. Nothing.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 1021
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 28/7/2010 11:56:00 AM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

quote:

Why is it 'brilliant politics'? - isn't this suppose to be F1 where engineering and skill are it's peak?  I wouldn't ban them I'd just knock off the points. No one would do it again if they knew it would mean wins/ race positions scrubbed.

Because it creates this exact conversation, if the sport didnt have the characters, the lifestyle, flamboyance and politics we'd might as well be watching some motor racing you find on Eurosport 2! Things that happen OFF of the track is just as entertaining on it for me.

This is a good point - one of the great things about F1 is how warped it can get with the politics, people crashing on purpose, characters like Max Mosley etc. etc.

The only problem I'd see with banning team orders like this is say it's a 1-2 for a team with the second placed driver needing to win to bag the championship, anyone in their right mind would tell the leader to back off.

(in reply to The Lensman)
Post #: 1022
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 28/7/2010 10:24:06 PM   
The Lensman

quote:

quote:

quote:

This is a good point - one of the great things about F1 is how warped it can get with the politics, people crashing on purpose, characters like Max Mosley etc. etc.

The only problem I'd see with banning team orders like this is say it's a 1-2 for a team with the second placed driver needing to win to bag the championship, anyone in their right mind would tell the leader to back off.

Just say how you feel Fluke. Get it off your chest, seems like you're dying to say something. Seems like they're might be a hidden meaning in there..... somewhere?

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 1023
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 29/7/2010 3:34:01 PM   
Sinatra

I think they should just allow team orders... and maybe also annouce who their number 1 and 2 drivers really are! as if we didn't already know!

Still, it's been a good season so far imho. Alonso really is a classic pantomime villain... a horrible character with a face you just want to punch. Imagine his reaction if that had been Button letting Hamilton through.....

Post #: 1024
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 29/7/2010 4:46:50 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just say how you feel Fluke. Get it off your chest, seems like you're dying to say something. Seems like they're might be a hidden meaning in there..... somewhere?

No I'm agreeing with you here  - the extra drama adds things, it's kinda like when fights break out in footy matches and tensions rise, some people get on their high horses but in my view it's all good and it adds to the fun and games as long as no one gets hurt.

Post #: 1025
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 8/9/2010 10:28:18 PM   
The Lensman

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

Every fan needs a hero, needs a villian, you need someone to cheer and someone to despise. Everyone needs the brilliance and the damn right outrageousness to talk about. You need it. I need it. And without it, you wouldnt want to watch it at all.

That to me makes it thoroughly brilliant.

If it was just a boring 3 day event where everyone is chummy, where no one breaks the rules, where you have a gracious winner and an even more gracious loser - are you telling me, you'd watch this???

Points wont get knocked off as they will soon abolish the rule, and that ends this debate.

You're confusing exciting rivalries with cheating here.

And yes I would watch it, not everybody has such low expectations of sportsmanship as you seem to.

That to me isnt exciting - watching a fair share of Eurosport/Motor TV makes you realise that very quickly. Great technical feats, but as a spectator's sport for the everyman - utterly boring.

I'm just not surprised that it happens like some people. Been watching F1 for a Long time, so nothing really shocks me when people push the boundaries. Consider the thing with Renault - That was ridiculous! but did they get banned? No, because Renault are a supplier of engines to some other teams. Ferrari do the same and bring in the fans! Theres a high percentage of fans throughout the world who wear Ferrari Red when going to the event. Alot a money that Bernie/FIA/and other teams cannot do without.

So will they be banned? No.
Will they get docked points? Possible
Will they docked points if Alonso wins the Championship? HELL NO.
Will they get a stern telling off? Not likely.

All thats gonna happen is.................. Nothing.

What did I tell ya?

Post #: 1026
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 28/9/2010 10:25:04 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Button seriously injured in F1 accident :

http://twitpic.com/2rvi8m

Post #: 1027
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 29/9/2010 2:41:07 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 1028
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 9/10/2010 10:52:04 AM   
HIM

So I got up at 5am today to watch the qualifying. 

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 1029
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 24/10/2010 11:33:46 AM   
LB Jeffries

Holy shit, that was an excitiing Grand Prix!!
Won't spoil it for anyone who didn't get up early but make sure you watch the re-run at 2pm on BBC1.
Looks like we're heading for the best ever finish to a season I can remember.

“When he shall die, take him and cut him out in little stars and he will make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with night and pay no worship to the garish sun.”

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 1030
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 8/11/2010 5:05:24 PM   
Sleazy

anyone but Alonso... pleeeeese

Gamertag: Sleazycome

PSN ID: Sleazytoon

(in reply to LB Jeffries)
Post #: 1031
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 14/11/2010 6:40:45 PM   
Sleazy

hoooraaaaayy, it wasnt Alonso. Well done Vettel, good race and I loved seeing Alonso losing his rag at the end

Gamertag: Sleazycome

PSN ID: Sleazytoon

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 1032
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 10/12/2010 4:43:32 PM   
Chief Wiggum

New rules announced today for next year...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9275796.stm

Team orders are back, unless it brings the sport into disrepute

Moveable Rear wings are in

Kers is back

In two years time engines will go from 2.4 litre V8s to 1.6litre four pots.

I can only hope that this will see more overtaking than last year.

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 1033
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 27/1/2011 3:52:01 PM   
samhuds24

We're nearly at that time of year when the new car designs are set to be revealed. The new Ferrari is due tomorrow morning, with Renault, Sauber and Lotus on 31st, and Red Bull, Mercedes and Toro Rosso on 1st February. Virgin to be unveiled 7th Feb.

Exciting stuff!

< Message edited by samhuds24 -- 28/1/2011 9:17:55 AM >

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 1034
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 28/1/2011 10:03:59 AM   
samhuds24

New Ferrari:

(in reply to samhuds24)
Post #: 1035
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 31/1/2011 5:54:32 PM   
samhuds24

Renault:

Lotus:

Sauber:

(in reply to samhuds24)
Post #: 1036
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 1/2/2011 11:45:54 AM   
samhuds24

Red Bull:

Toro Rosso:

Mercedes:

< Message edited by samhuds24 -- 1/2/2011 11:46:33 AM >

(in reply to samhuds24)
Post #: 1037
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 4/2/2011 3:35:47 PM   
samhuds24

McLaren:

(in reply to samhuds24)
Post #: 1038
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 5/2/2011 6:53:34 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

The front wings make it look like the cars are wearing pettycoats

(in reply to samhuds24)
Post #: 1039
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 7/2/2011 10:56:12 AM   
HIM

Horrible news about Kubica. Apparently a crash barrier penetrated the car through the footwell and his right hand was partially severed. He's also got fractured to his right arm and leg. Hopefully he'll make a full recovery but his chances of racing this season are slim-to-none. You do have to question the wisdom of the Renault team allowing him to go rallying a little over a month before the new season starts. It'd be like a footballer going to play rugby during pre-season.

Post #: 1040
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 21/2/2011 4:31:56 PM   
Professor Moriarty

No Bahrain GP then

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9402871.stm

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 1041
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 21/2/2011 5:34:55 PM   
HIM

Best decision really. Sport must take a back seat to such events, no matter how glamorous and expensive a sport. On a personal level I'm also glad because I would have missed the race. I start basic training in the RAF on March 2nd and for three weeks we're not allowed to leave the base and have very little privileges.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 1042
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 24/3/2011 8:26:16 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

I've been totally slack with the annual update of this thread. I'm not sure if it's just because I'm lazy or the fact that I'm not actually that excited this year for some reason....

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 1043
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 26/3/2011 4:55:44 PM   
Ref

So Vettel was eight tenths of a second faster than anyone else in qualifying - and he said he didn't even use KERS?!

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

Post #: 1044
RE: The Formula One 2011 Thread - 9/4/2011 11:43:48 PM   
Ref

I was sure McLaren was going to be on top today in qualifying - shows you what I know. Although Martin did say that to win starting from pole has been a tad difficult in the past. And the weather for tomorrow is thunder storms (or so they say) - will be an exciting race methinks.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 1045
RE: The Formula One 2011 Thread - 10/4/2011 12:27:09 PM   
Ref

F1.com lied again then - no thunder storms and only a spot of rain. Ah well.

Quite a good race - a lot of over-taking, some flying, but overall entertaining. I must say I much prefer Martin paired with DC for the commentary, I found Legard a tad annoying last season.

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 1046
RE: The Formula One 2011 Thread - 10/4/2011 12:48:26 PM   
Rhubarb

I'd enjoy it more if DC didn't begin every response with "well, indeed". Now you've noticed it, its going to haunt you

Was a good race. We saw the ups and downs of all the news regs in this race, I think. There was plenty of wheel-to-wheel battles, the Hamilton/Alonso, and Massa/Webber ones particularly awesome. On the other hand, due to the sheer number of pit stops it was a bit baffling as to what the net position was all the time - fair play to Martin Brundle who as always stayed on top of it. I would rather have that confusion than long stints and having spells where nothing is happening though, so largely it was a success.

Brilliant drives from Button and Heidfeld - the latter's charge up the field not only making up for his awful show in Oz but giving Vettel a massive boost. Speaking of Vettel, no-one seemed to pick up he was surely planting some misdirection with his team telling him not to use KERS, and then getting them to reititerate the message in case the World Feed didn't pick it up. I say that, because two laps later he was clearly pulling away from Lewis, who was too tempted to chase down the World Champion and destroyed his tyres. The difference between Jenson and Lewis was pretty clear in the end today, one was in a worse position but just looks after his tyres so much better. I think he could have a better season that Lewis in the long run.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 1047
RE: The Formula One 2011 Thread - 10/4/2011 8:22:45 PM   
Ref

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

I'd enjoy it more if DC didn't begin every response with "well, indeed". Now you've noticed it, its going to haunt you

Was a good race. We saw the ups and downs of all the news regs in this race, I think. There was plenty of wheel-to-wheel battles, the Hamilton/Alonso, and Massa/Webber ones particularly awesome. On the other hand, due to the sheer number of pit stops it was a bit baffling as to what the net position was all the time - fair play to Martin Brundle who as always stayed on top of it. I would rather have that confusion than long stints and having spells where nothing is happening though, so largely it was a success.

Brilliant drives from Button and Heidfeld - the latter's charge up the field not only making up for his awful show in Oz but giving Vettel a massive boost. Speaking of Vettel, no-one seemed to pick up he was surely planting some misdirection with his team telling him not to use KERS, and then getting them to reititerate the message in case the World Feed didn't pick it up. I say that, because two laps later he was clearly pulling away from Lewis, who was too tempted to chase down the World Champion and destroyed his tyres. The difference between Jenson and Lewis was pretty clear in the end today, one was in a worse position but just looks after his tyres so much better. I think he could have a better season that Lewis in the long run.

Now I come to think of it...

Some more news on the race - Hamilton and Alonso are penalised 20 seconds for their collision:~

Click Me

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 1048
RE: The Formula One 2011 Thread - 17/4/2011 8:32:48 AM   
DJ Satan

Exciting start to the race. First time this season Vettel hasn't led the entire race. But how the hell did Button fuck up like that?

What happened to Hulkenburg? I thought him and Petrov both showed a lot of promise last year.

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 1049
RE: The Formula One 2011 Thread - 17/4/2011 11:13:50 AM   
Rhubarb

Incredible race really, just no idea right up to the end who was going to be filling the podium, and two good strategies going head to head, really what F1 should be all about - along with the crazy amount of overtaking and wheeltowheel driving. God bless Pirelli.

Brilliant drive from Lewis, who was half a minute away from starting at the end of the pit-lane, but kept his head, and even when Jenson sailed into the lead at the begining, he fought tooth and nail to keep up with him all the way. Speaking of JB, driving into the Red Bull garage was one of the craziest things I've seen in awhile. It seemed to rattle him, and he seemed off the pace after that. We saw the opositte of a week ago where his calm paid off, today Lewis fierceness is what made the difference. A big shout out to Webber, who had a bad quali, bad weekend, bad start, but still made it up to the podium due to the tyres. What that means for the future? Could see more winners from further back, quali will be less important, tyres are key.

Oh and Felipe Massa, i hope it really kickstarts him, how far ahead of Fernando he was all afternoon. His confidence has been so badly knocked since he had to allow FA past last year, its easy to forget how good he used to be.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 1050
Page:   <<   < prev  33 34 [35] 36 37   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread Page: <<   < prev  33 34 [35] 36 37   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI