Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 1/6/2010 1:24:08 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

By the way I have to admit I was wrong about Button - he's clearly a quality driver. As for Turkey it would have been a comfortable Red Bull 1-2 had it not been for that ridiculous bit of driving by Vettel. McClaren are up against it and need improvements to the car quick to really have a chance. 

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 991
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 1/6/2010 1:41:28 PM   
HIM

I'd say the opposite, it's Red Bull who are now up against it and need to improve their car. All this season they've had a massive advantage - almost as much as Brawn's early season advantage last year - yet they've failed to capitalise on that advantage. One of their drivers is only 5 points clear in the driver's standings (with Vettel being down in 5th) and they're no longer leading the constructors championship. McLaren have come from a long way back this year and on Sunday they clearly had the fastest car - although as you say, Red Bull probably would have got a 1-2, were it not for Vettel's impetuousness. Last year Red Bull managed to peg back Brawn's early season success but by the end of the season the McLaren was the best car. If that happens again this year Red Bull may have blown it.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 992
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 1/6/2010 4:06:47 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

I don't know how Red Bull can defend Vettel over Webber.....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 993
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 1/6/2010 6:03:29 PM   
Captain Black

Indeed - but regardless of whose fault it was, Horner's comments were completely self-defeating and will potentially only serve to divide the team. You just don't do that when you're responsible for the whole team; at the very least you sort it out behind closed doors.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 994
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 13/6/2010 6:41:36 PM   
BigBadWolf

Fantastic result for Hamilton and Button, I was dubious about the strategy, but that worked out brillaintly.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 995
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 13/6/2010 6:50:53 PM   
HIM

What a race! It flipped and flopped so many times and what's more, there wasn't a safety car in sight! Lewis proved once again what an unbelievably great driver he is.

(in reply to BigBadWolf)
Post #: 996
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 14/6/2010 12:44:30 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Really great race, all the tyre changes and people not being sure if they're doing the right thing made it bloody exciting. I really like the track as well, overlooking the river and all the greenery made it easy on the eye and a cool place to race.

Hamilton is pure class - we all know he's fucking fast but he seems to be developing his skills in terms of looking after the tyres. You could see he was driving within himself and then when Button started catching him he turned up the pace again.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 997
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 14/6/2010 12:47:17 PM   
HIM

Yeah I really thought we were in for another Turkey moment when Button started catching him. But then he just stepped on the gas and started to pull away by a second per lap. amazing stuff.

Post #: 998
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 14/6/2010 5:50:37 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

They were saying that the other teams are developing Red Bull's innovative exhaust to downforce set up. If McClaren can get this right they could pull away considering they already have superior straight line speed

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 999
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 16/6/2010 6:10:01 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

After the first race and the new regs I feared this season would turn into some kind of procession but thankfully that isn't the case, it's been cracking again and what another fantastic and unpredictable race.

Post #: 1000
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 25/7/2010 2:08:20 PM   
DJ Satan

Ferrari have a good weekend so they instantly start cheating again. Bleaurgh! 

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

Post #: 1001
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 25/7/2010 5:47:45 PM   
KnightofZyryab

How were they cheating ? It may have been rule flouting but that's different from outright cheating. As I see it, it was very unfair on Massa but pragmatically it made sense when Alonso was quicker than Massa and would have likely passed him anyway when Vettel started to close in towards the end and may possibly have taken the second spot from Ferrari. Plus, as with Webber and Vettel, the last thing you want is both guys taking each other out.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 1002
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 25/7/2010 6:22:13 PM   
DJ Satan

Flouting rules is the very definition of cheating.

I'm with Eddie Jordan. They should be disqualified from this race and banned from the next.

Edit: I've just seen that Ferrari have been fined $100,000 but the result stands. That's just a mockery of fair racing.

< Message edited by DJ Satan -- 25/7/2010 6:24:48 PM >

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 1003
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 25/7/2010 7:28:46 PM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

I'm with Eddie Jordan. They should be disqualified from this race and banned from the next.

Edit: I've just seen that Ferrari have been fined $100,000 but the result stands. That's just a mockery of fair racing.

Well you may have your anti-Ferrari sentiments but it was a pragmatic decision which made perfect sense. I'm not saying it's not reprehensible, but it's a logical aspect of the sport which has to be accepted. If one driver still has a shot at the championship, and the other clearly does not, it makes sense to allow the first driver through, albeit on unsavoury terms. Compare to the infamous Schumacher-Barrichello team order - the difference then being that Schumacher was in control of the championship and it was therefore unnecessary. These points today were vital for Alonso in keeping in touch with the other guys in the top 4 when he's started to pick up some pace. There were a number of other things going on the race as well - Massa started slowing Alonso down and Vettel was catching up, meaning he might well have caught up with and passed at least one of the Ferraris.

As I said, an unfair decision, but a logical one considering the circumstances, and whose to say that any of the other top teams wouldn't do it in a similar position ?

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 1004
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 25/7/2010 7:38:12 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: KnightofZyryab

quote:

Well you may have your anti-Ferrari sentiments but it was a pragmatic decision which made perfect sense. I'm not saying it's not reprehensible, but it's a logical aspect of the sport which has to be accepted. If one driver still has a shot at the championship, and the other clearly does not, it makes sense to allow the first driver through, albeit on unsavoury terms. Compare to the infamous Schumacher-Barrichello team order - the difference then being that Schumacher was in control of the championship and it was therefore unnecessary. These points today were vital for Alonso in keeping in touch with the other guys in the top 4 when he's started to pick up some pace. There were a number of other things going on the race as well - Massa started slowing Alonso down and Vettel was catching up, meaning he might well have caught up with and passed at least one of the Ferraris.

Why does the sentiment have to be anti Ferrari? Why can't it be anti cheating?

quote:

As I said, an unfair decision, but a logical one considering the circumstances, and whose to say that any of the other top teams wouldn't do it in a similar position ?

That makes no difference at all. Cheating is cheating regardless of whether anyone else would have cheated if they'd had the chance. Team orders make a mockery of the sport IMO.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 1005
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 25/7/2010 7:49:33 PM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Why does the sentiment have to be anti Ferrari? Why can't it be anti cheating?

Well because some people have jumped on this precisely because it is Ferrari on the end of it. It's both anti-cheating and anti-Ferarri.

quote:

quote:

That makes no difference at all. Cheating is cheating regardless of whether anyone else would have cheated if they'd had the chance. Team orders make a mockery of the sport IMO.

That's not really what I'm saying, I was definitely not condoning cheating in this form. What I would say is that the rule is not watertight and there will be occasions where teams have to contravene it, which is what happened today. Just for the record, I don't support Ferrari or any of the other teams, but if you envisage a situation where a team order - explicit or coded - might result in one of their drivers winning a championship in the final race, I doubt the rule would be adhered to.

< Message edited by KnightofZyryab -- 25/7/2010 7:50:46 PM >

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 1006
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 25/7/2010 7:55:15 PM   
DJ Satan

quote:

ORIGINAL: KnightofZyryab

quote:

If Massa had won, or even Alonso passing fairly, I would have been quite happy with the result.

Well we've already seen Vettle and Webber racing for position, and Hamilton and Button racing for the lead in the same race. So I don't think other teams would do it.

Having a drivers and constructors championship causes a conflict of intrest. They should just scrap the drivers championship if they want to allow team orders. Ferrari still would have gotten full points But now Alonso has 7 points more than he should have and Massa is down 7.

Ironically if Ferrari were stripped off the placings it would benefit Red Bull more than McClaren.

Post #: 1007
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 25/7/2010 8:07:42 PM   
The Lensman

Cheating or Gamesmanship?

Technically no one in Ferrari has done anything done.

"Alonso is faster than you. Please aknowledge that you understand" or something like that.

You might infer something - But for its literal meaning, all that was said was that Fernando Alonso was faster than Felipe Massa. Which was a fact all weekend. What happened after that was as described by Massa as being his own choice.

OK. its all tosh. Ferrari knew exactly what they did - but what crime is suffient when such crimes are committed more occassionally than seen by us mere tv watchers. It happens all the time. So should all the teams be banned? Makes for a very BORING sport.

Grand Prix racing is about its Politics, especially this season. So why are people surprised to see these things happen? In some way, Ferrari WERE ALWAYS going to find a way to get Fernando ahead. ALWAYS, I'd put my mortgage on it. So is it Cheating or Gamesmanship? I think more Gamesmanship for me.

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 1008
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 25/7/2010 8:15:41 PM   
DJ Satan

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Lensman

"Alonso is faster than you. Please aknowledge that you understand" or something like that.

You might infer something - But for its literal meaning, all that was said was that Fernando Alonso was faster than Felipe Massa. Which was a fact all weekend. What happened after that was as described by Massa as being his own choice.

OK. its all tosh. Ferrari knew exactly what they did - but what crime is suffient when such crimes are committed more occassionally than seen by us mere tv watchers. It happens all the time. So should all the teams be banned? Makes for a very BORING sport.

Grand Prix racing is about its Politics, especially this season. So why are people surprised to see these things happen? In some way, Ferrari WERE ALWAYS going to find a way to get Fernando ahead. ALWAYS, I'd put my mortgage on it. So is it Cheating or Gamesmanship? I think more Gamesmanship for me.
It was a boring race, because instead of seeing two drivers race we saw a procession.

Everyone said Alonso was faster than Massa throughout the race. But if that was really true then wouldn't Alonso had already been in the lead? Massa had covered a further distance than Alonso at that point he got the message so was therefore faster.

(in reply to The Lensman)
Post #: 1009
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 25/7/2010 10:36:08 PM   
The Lensman

quote:

quote:

It was a boring race, because instead of seeing two drivers race we saw a procession.

Everyone said Alonso was faster than Massa throughout the race. But if that was really true then wouldn't Alonso had already been in the lead? Massa had covered a further distance than Alonso at that point he got the message so was therefore faster.

I'm not sure, as we've seen through a number of occasions this season, Alonso has been held up by Massa unable to get past him due to a number of factors.

The problem with Formula one at this point in time, is over taking, its been the sticking point for a number of years.

Overtaking is near enough impossible in a conservative sense, depending of random variances would it be able to pass a car that isnt a back runner, but has a bit of pedigree itself. The sport is so quick that you have to rely on your opponent making a mistake in order to gain an advantage.

Once Alonso had passed him, didnt he open up a lead. (not a question)

But we're going off track.

Ferrari were naughty

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 1010
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 26/7/2010 9:58:32 AM   
CORLEONE

I'm not the biggest fan of F1 but I do watch most of the Grand Prix. It's stuff like that yesterday which makes me wonder why I even bother.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

Post #: 1011
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 26/7/2010 12:09:20 PM   
Rob

I'm not a Ferrari fan and certainly not an Alonso fan but unless the rules are tightened then things like this will always happen. No team orders were actually given and whilst everybody knows what the message meant have they actually broken the rules? Someone with a better understanding of the regulations than me might be able to say so definitively but I'm not so sure.

Don't get me wrong I don't think it should go on but I teams will always push to get away with things like this. On a more positive note I thought Smedley and Massa both handled themselves brilliantly and I really liked Jenson's comments in the interview afterwards.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 1012
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 26/7/2010 1:59:37 PM   
Rhubarb

I feel massively sorry for Felipe, he was only really slower because of traffic, if he was significantly slower at all. A year after his accident, what a confidence boost it would have been to win the race - he clearly didn't want to give up the place and was having a bit of sulk after, its crazy he's gone from one hairpin of the world title to Second Driver at Ferrari. I also feel for Rob Smedley, who blatently didn't want to give that message, and really gave the game away, but he was clearly pretty upset about it.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 1013
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 26/7/2010 5:58:41 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

It's really sad for Massa, a year after fracturing his skull in a freak accident he's leading a Grand Prix again and he's told to lose it. It's an all round disgrace and makes a mockery of the word 'race'

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 1014
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 26/7/2010 7:45:56 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

After watching last nights episode of Top Gear it has reminded my how far F1 has come from the late 80's/early 90's, and it's gone in a worse direction. The races of yesteryear were fantastic races with fantastic, competitive drivers and teams' judgement not clouded by money and team politics. Days like yesterday make me ashamed to love F1 so much.

Post #: 1015
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 26/7/2010 8:15:05 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Every so often I think I should give watching F1 a go again. Every so often I'm reminded why I don't.

To echo the above, Top Gear shows how far the cars have progressed from a safety point of view. But talking about Prost, Piquet, Mansell and Senna makes me think how far backwards exciting racing has gone.

Post #: 1016
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 26/7/2010 8:34:26 PM   
The Lensman

I really dont see the massive furore behind yesterdays race. Its brilliant politics.

If Ferrari were to get banned, or something like thats - thats the biggest joke of it all.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 1017
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 27/7/2010 5:57:06 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Why is it 'brilliant politics'? - isn't this suppose to be F1 where engineering and skill are it's peak?  I wouldn't ban them I'd just knock off the points. No one would do it again if they knew it would mean wins/ race positions scrubbed.

Post #: 1018
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 27/7/2010 8:45:52 PM   
The Lensman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

Why is it 'brilliant politics'? - isn't this suppose to be F1 where engineering and skill are it's peak?  I wouldn't ban them I'd just knock off the points. No one would do it again if they knew it would mean wins/ race positions scrubbed.

Because it creates this exact conversation, if the sport didnt have the characters, the lifestyle, flamboyance and politics we'd might as well be watching some motor racing you find on Eurosport 2! Things that happen OFF of the track is just as entertaining on it for me.

Every fan needs a hero, needs a villian, you need someone to cheer and someone to despise. Everyone needs the brilliance and the damn right outrageousness to talk about. You need it. I need it. And without it, you wouldnt want to watch it at all.

That to me makes it thoroughly brilliant.

If it was just a boring 3 day event where everyone is chummy, where no one breaks the rules, where you have a gracious winner and an even more gracious loser - are you telling me, you'd watch this???

Points wont get knocked off as they will soon abolish the rule, and that ends this debate.

Post #: 1019
RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread - 27/7/2010 8:48:10 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

Because it creates this exact conversation, if the sport didnt have the characters, the lifestyle, flamboyance and politics we'd might as well be watching some motor racing you find on Eurosport 2! Things that happen OFF of the track is just as entertaining on it for me.

Every fan needs a hero, needs a villian, you need someone to cheer and someone to despise. Everyone needs the brilliance and the damn right outrageousness to talk about. You need it. I need it. And without it, you wouldnt want to watch it at all.

That to me makes it thoroughly brilliant.

If it was just a boring 3 day event where everyone is chummy, where no one breaks the rules, where you have a gracious winner and an even more gracious loser - are you telling me, you'd watch this???

Points wont get knocked off as they will soon abolish the rule, and that ends this debate.

You're confusing exciting rivalries with cheating here.

And yes I would watch it, not everybody has such low expectations of sportsmanship as you seem to.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 1020
Page:   <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The Formula One 2010 Thread Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI