Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Evolution Of Stop-Motion

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> The Evolution Of Stop-Motion Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Evolution Of Stop-Motion - 16/6/2009 7:10:14 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
No Wallace and Gromit? - 16/6/2009 7:10:14 PM   
warren7355

How could you leave out the best stop motion in years? Chicken Run may have been a more commercial success but Wallace and Gromit deserve the accolade for truly bringing Stop motion to the masses.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Hmm... - 16/6/2009 9:46:57 PM   
darjeelingmike

Am I the only one who thinks stop motion looked better back then? Coraline was beautiful but the old way of King Kong and Clash Of The Titans holds a special place in my heart.
Agreed with the last poster as well on Wallace & Gromit.
And where exactly was the Evil Dead films? They used stop motion to gloriously gory effect did they not?

Post #: 3
Wicked! - 17/6/2009 8:37:52 AM   
hypnotoad

What an awesome rundown you guys! As much as I love CG, I am a child of the 80s and it was great to read the history....I remember those rather snobby looking dragons in Willow (stop motion or go motion?) and they used to proper freak me out! Did Ghostbusters use stop motion at all? I think the second one did...

I didn't realise Fantastic Mr Fox would be Animated like that too....looks like Mr Anderson was sold after The Life Aquatic, that shark at the end was awesome!

Post #: 4
The Empire Strikes Back - 17/6/2009 9:35:23 AM   
Karl Crutchley

Instead of the Dejarik table from Star Wars you should have used the At-At attack from the battle of Hoth as the Trilogys best example of stop motion animation.
Still love Clash of the Titans and Jason & the Argonauts, watch them every time they are on TV.

Post #: 5
Dragonslayer - 17/6/2009 10:01:43 AM   
Seamonkey

A great dragon that sets the mark for Del Torro to top. And the first use of Go Motion I think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMFlBqZ8vb0

Genius.

Post #: 6
Indiana - 17/6/2009 10:08:09 AM   
jon_lebihan

Jones and the Temple of Doom. Not the best Indiana Jones movie, not the worst either thanks to that fridge. But the mine car chase at the end was worth payong the money for.

Post #: 7
- 17/6/2009 10:56:46 AM   
Anduril666

Fantastic feature Empire, this is the kind of thing a film magazine and website SHOULD be doing, great job.

Agreed on the sad omission of Wallace and Gromit though, but well done for including Jason and the Argonauts and Clash of the Titans, I'd say the skeleton scene is one of my favourite scenes ever.

Post #: 8
- 17/6/2009 10:59:43 AM   
Anduril666

Also just watched that Dragonslayer clip, that is one great Go Motion dragon. Stupid Team America explosions at the end though . . .

Post #: 9
- 17/6/2009 10:46:37 PM   
bleugh07

WHAT ABOUT THE VELOCIRAPTOR IN JURASSIC PARK? MOST OF THE DINOSAURS WERE CG BUT NOT THE 'RAPTORS IN THAT SCENE IN THE KITCHEN. ALSO, WASN'T ALIEN STOP MOTION?

Post #: 10
- 17/6/2009 10:48:41 PM   
bleugh07

@ KARL CRUTCHLEY THE TABLE WAS MORE IMPRESSIVE THAN THE AT-ATS. THEY ONLY HAD ABOUT TEN MOVING PARTS

Post #: 11
Bloody Revenge 2 - A little-known story, but oh so gory. - 18/6/2009 5:42:02 PM   
jonsan

Can I add a new contender? If you want to see some stop-motion action man figures knocking seven shades out of each other, check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X-TK7VYQCE&feature=channel_page@fmt=18
A couple of mates and I made it last year, and it won Best film at the GIJoe Film Festival (yes, the big time) last year.
As for another great stop-motion scene, check out the alien slug in the cult Frank Henenlotter movie 'Brain Damage' - creepy and hilarious at the same time...

Post #: 12
Cant belive this was missed out - 19/6/2009 11:05:05 AM   
domo8585

Come on empire you completely missed out jan svankmajer, a stopmotion pioneer and utter mentalist. His Little Otik and Faust use some intresting stopmotion not to mention his collection of short films. Same goes for the Brothers Quay , although technically they are more short film makers.

Post #: 13
Vermithrax Pejorative - 19/6/2009 10:53:59 PM   
SimonB70

I am shocked and appalled that Dragonslayer was not in that list. Still the most fearsome dragon to be put on screen, and it still holds up very well (and puts the Dragonheart farce to shame). That is the quality that Del Toro will have to match: a dragon that is still terrifying even though it talks (and to make sure it doesn't sound recognisably like a famous actor-it just pulls you out of the movie).
I'm fairly sure however, that the dinosaurs in Jurrasic Park are all CG, with the exception of the animatronics. Phil Tippett did complete go-motion tests for the dinosaurs though, before they decided to use computers.

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> The Evolution Of Stop-Motion Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI