Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Space Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: The Space Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Space Thread - 3/8/2010 11:51:47 AM   
TheGoon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Next month is the 40th anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission. That's right! 40 years since Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin first stepped on the moon and propelled us into the space age... which I'll be honest, still has yet to get going. It's been 40 years and while with have the I.S.S, no one has been back to the moon for 39 years...

As for Mars, it's forever a NASA mission priority that has yet to get any acceleration. Of course, in a worldwide recession and global climate crisis, you could argue we have bigger things to worry about.

But still, Space. For ever a mystery and a wonderment and a constant source of discussion. God bless the Hubble Telescope I say!

For those, not already buzzing about the 40th anniversary of Apollo 11, can I suggest you go straight to Amazon and pick up the glorious HBO miniseries From The Earth To The Moon (from the makers of Band of Brothers). It's astounding and is a perfect introduction to the Apollo missions. Try bookending it with The Right Stuff and In The Shadow of the Moon.

Oh and for all those that don't think we landed on the moon, you're just wrong and I'm not going to waste any more of my time with you crazy people. Back to Swindon with you!

There was no moon landing. Simple as that. I really don't believe in it. How did we have such an advancement of technology back in the 1960's when we can't even find a way to have Tomato Ketchup and Mustard in one single bottle today?? No, on that basis, there was no moon landing.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 61
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 3/8/2010 2:05:47 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

One of the big problems as I understand it, is solar radiation. Any ship heading to Mars would need some pretty impressive shielding from the suns effects.

Any mission to Mars should involve the setting up of a colony base.

We have the moon nearby, no reason that can't be used as a testing ground. Its going to need a massive commitment of resources and attention from not just the American goverment, but other nations. Sadly I think NASA is more concerned about the next generation of shuttle and not about creating ships built for long term space exploration.

Still I cross my fingers that it will happen one day.

Clearly not manageable with todays technology but I reckon one day ships may be able to generate their own magnetic fields which could protect them from radiation like the Earth is protected.

When it comes to future space exploration it will all eventually happen, it's just a matter of time. In terms of our techological advancement we've only really started kicking arse since the industrial revolution, imagine what we'll be up to in 1000 years - as long as we haven't destroyed ourselves we'll be able to live forever and download/ upload our 'souls', effectively becoming immortal and allowing us to travel long distances through space. The ships should be bloody amazing to look at as well

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 62
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 3/8/2010 2:12:46 PM   
kata

Didn't you see Wall-E?...

I Don't agree that the moon landings were faked either, we had U-boats and atom splitting in the 40's.  Is technology to go to the moon in the 60's really that unbelievable?

< Message edited by kata -- 3/8/2010 2:16:43 PM >

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 63
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 19/8/2012 10:07:59 AM   
kata

quote:

This animation shows the 2299 high-quality (multiple transits), non-circumbinary transiting planet candidates found by NASA's Kepler mission so far. These candidates were detected around 1770 unique stars, but are animated in orbit around a single star.

http://vimeo.com/47408739

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 64
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: The Space Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI