Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 18/6/2009 4:13:30 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

They should have sent a poet.

Many Apollo astronauts turned to poetry and art upon their return as a way of trying to convey what they saw and felt, Apollo 12's Alan Bean being the most notable.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 31
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 18/6/2009 10:35:40 PM   
Rgirvan44

Here is the BBC Moon season

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2009/06_june/08/moon2.shtml

Looks neat.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 32
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 18/6/2009 10:58:22 PM   
Timon

That looks awesome. Can't wait.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 33
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 24/6/2009 3:07:22 PM   
Timon

I watched the 30min programme where James May went as close to space as you can in a U2 spy plane. Awesome.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 34
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 24/6/2009 3:11:07 PM   
shool

I'm halfway through the documentary on the moon narrated by Sean Pertwee. Very interesting so far. Will watch the rest tonight.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 35
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 29/6/2009 5:51:04 PM   
sharkboy

I've just...ahem...stumbled across a host of documentaries about the moon landing, including some of the most in-depth coverage I've ever seen (a 6-disc DVD set about the Apollo 16 landing? Three more than A-11 gets?)  So far, I've got (or am getting) Apollos 8-12, 16 and 17, as well as a couple of stand-alone docs on A-11 including For All Mankind (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097372/), which I've never seen but was aware of through Brian Eno's work on the soundtrack. 

What more appropriate way is there to celebrate mankind's crowing achievement than to watch a whole month's worth of DVDs on the subject?

Ti, usual rules apply mate

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 36
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 29/6/2009 6:50:23 PM   
Rgirvan44

Those documentaries sound amazing.

Been wathing some From Earth to the Moon.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 37
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 29/6/2009 7:12:36 PM   
sharkboy

The individual mission sets contain pretty much every bit of recorded footage from each mission, all digitally remastered.  All the crew-shot material, all the TV coverage, all the official recordings, as well as some seriously in-depth documentaries.  A very nice find indeed 

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 38
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 1/7/2009 4:01:02 PM   
Timon

Sounds amazing... but a whole months worth!?! Considering reading Moondust again, which I recommend and buying the Armstrong biopic - First Man.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 39
RE: Apollo 11: 40th Anniversary - 21/7/2009 8:22:36 AM   
Timon

Happy Moon Landing Day!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 40
RE: Apollo 11: 40th Anniversary - 21/7/2009 9:00:19 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Happy Moon Landing Day!

If you believe it really happened that is

I know it's a different topic here, but apart from concorde, why have we gone backwards as a human race since this historic day? Admittedly, I'm the first one to complain about the money wasted on space travel, it seems like all they do nowadays is fuck up, expensively at that, perhaps it's time as a planet we tried take that next step as a species. I'd rather the money were spent on cancer research, but I would't begrudge a few billion if we actually achieved something.
Are we any closer do you think to actually -  I don't know, the most logical stage is to land on Mars - taking another giant leap for mankind?
Is there anything to be gained? I've heard all the arguments about what we've achieved due to space travel (velcro being the most depressingly obvious invention championed every time the issue is raised)
Why not invent these things for space travel without actually travelling in space at all?
It's the actual "travelling" that costs the most and achieves nothing.
Let's just pretend we're going to Mars, invent all these new cool things but then actually not bother lifting off?
Enlighten me, nerdy NASA freaks!

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 41
RE: Apollo 11: 40th Anniversary - 21/7/2009 11:00:02 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Happy Moon Landing Day!

I know it's a different topic here, but apart from concorde, why have we gone backwards as a human race since this historic day? Admittedly, I'm the first one to complain about the money wasted on space travel, it seems like all they do nowadays is fuck up, expensively at that, perhaps it's time as a planet we tried take that next step as a species. I'd rather the money were spent on cancer research, but I would't begrudge a few billion if we actually achieved something.
Are we any closer do you think to actually -  I don't know, the most logical stage is to land on Mars - taking another giant leap for mankind?
Is there anything to be gained? I've heard all the arguments about what we've achieved due to space travel (velcro being the most depressingly obvious invention championed every time the issue is raised)
Why not invent these things for space travel without actually travelling in space at all?
Let's just pretend we're going to Mars, invent all these new cool things but then actually not bother lifting off?

Cause unless there is a need for these things to be used in space, no one will invest. The off shoots are a benefit of research and not the end goal.

I suspect that the Chinese will be getting to the moon in the next couple of decades. Amercia will be back there the next day.

Mars is difficult due to a) it being months away from Earth. Anything screws up out there and there is no chance of a rescue b) solar radiaton. We are protected here on Earth from it, and as the flights to the moon only lasted a few days they managed to avoid series contact. But being out there for eight months you heighten the risk of being exposed. There isn't a sure fire away of protecting against this yet, and there won't be until there is a will to get to Mars. I know there is the argument that money should be spent elsewhere, but mankind have always been explorerers. It is who we are. There should be a base on the Moon by now, somewhere scientests can work and construct launch pads for Mars. But the political will isn't there. The shuttles were expensive and didn't really progress us forward all that much. At times it felt like the crews were just maintence teams doing routine work - at least thats the feeling you got from NASA press releases.

I believe that any mission to Mars will require more than one ship heading there at the same time, as well as all the materials being sent in advance to set up a base.

I hope it happens in my lifetime.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 42
RE: Apollo 11: 40th Anniversary - 22/7/2009 10:45:38 AM   
Sinatra

It is possible they were faked though... I mean not everyone at NASA had to be in on it....

Are there any decent site that fully disprove each conspiracy point?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 43
RE: Apollo 11: 40th Anniversary - 22/7/2009 10:54:44 AM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

It is possible they were faked though... I mean not everyone at NASA had to be in on it....

If there was would you immediately believe that it's true? People will always conspiracise about this, but it happened, and is still Mankind's greatest achievement. Embrace the glory!

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 44
RE: Apollo 11: 40th Anniversary - 22/7/2009 11:04:49 AM   
Sinatra

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

quote:

If there was would you immediately believe that it's true? People will always conspiracise about this, but it happened, and is still Mankind's greatest achievement. Embrace the glory!

I'm 99% sure it's true...

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 45
RE: Apollo 11: 40th Anniversary - 22/7/2009 11:10:36 AM   
Sinatra

http://www.aulis.com/exposing_apollo1.htm

what about the vanishing LM?

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 46
RE: Apollo 11: 40th Anniversary - 22/7/2009 11:13:59 AM   
MB2

Wikipedia seems fairly definitive on the subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Moon_Landing_hoax_conspiracy_theories#Specific_hoax_claims_examined

Roxy: That's who we should kill next.
Frank: A fictitious character?
Roxy: No. Diablo Cody. Fuck her for writing that movie, she's the only stripper who suffers from too much self esteem.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 47
RE: Apollo 11: 40th Anniversary - 22/7/2009 11:25:02 AM   
Darkbloom

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Space-based solar power could be amazing if it happens.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 48
RE: Apollo 11: 40th Anniversary - 22/7/2009 11:45:23 AM   
Sinatra

quote:

ORIGINAL: MB2

Wikipedia seems fairly definitive on the subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Moon_Landing_hoax_conspiracy_theories#Specific_hoax_claims_examined

Yeah I read a lot of that, couldn't find the vanishing LM explanation though,,, also, quite a few sites contradict each other regarding the lack of stars in any photos.

(in reply to MB2)
Post #: 49
RE: Apollo 11: 40th Anniversary - 22/7/2009 11:49:04 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

Yeah I read a lot of that, couldn't find the vanishing LM explanation though,,, also, quite a few sites contradict each other regarding the lack of stars in any photos.

You should try and ask Buzz Aldrin. He's been very helpful when it comes to this subject.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ez-NpFVwQw

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 50
RE: Apollo 11: 40th Anniversary - 22/7/2009 11:59:38 AM   
Sinatra

Can't get You-Tube...

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 51
RE: Apollo 11: 40th Anniversary - 22/7/2009 12:37:55 PM   
shool

quote:

yup, thats pretty conclusive.

That and the mirrors they placed on the moon to measure its distance hard to do if they didnt land.

[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

(in reply to MB2)
Post #: 52
RE: Apollo 11: 40th Anniversary - 22/7/2009 12:39:37 PM   
shool

quote:

quote:

It sort of is as those mountains could be very very distant objects and with no atmosphere to distort the images they could be stood in front of the LM and the images look very similar.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 53
RE: The Space Thread - 8/12/2009 2:22:08 PM   
Timon

So what does everyone think of SpaceShipTwo? Or the VSS Enterprise as it has also been called...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8400353.stm

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 54
RE: The Space Thread - 8/12/2009 3:01:51 PM   
shool

It makes me wish I had money to do it. It would be an amazing experience.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 55
RE: The Space Thread - 8/12/2009 3:09:05 PM   
borstal

The more people do it then the more it come down in price. I still think its a long time off becoming affordable though.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 56
RE: The Space Thread - 8/12/2009 3:22:52 PM   
superdan

I'm not sure it will ever be truly affordable, at least certainly not in our or even our grandchildrens lifetimes. But then again, I'm not sure that is necessarily a bad thing. Have you ever flown on budget airlines?  

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 57
RE: The Space Thread - 11/12/2009 2:26:55 PM   
Timon

There are cheaper alternatives... sort of.

http://www.americainfra.com/news/virgin-galactics-rivals/#

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 58
RE: The Space Thread - 21/7/2010 9:59:12 AM   
Timon

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Star-320-Times-Bigger-Than-The-Sun-Found-Massive-R136a1-Revolutionises-Astronomical-Thinking/Article/201007315668243?lpos=World_News_Carousel_Region_3&lid=ARTICLE_15668243_Star_320_Times_Bigger_Than_The_Sun_Found%3A_Massive_R136a1_Revolutionises_Astronomical_Thinking

Check out that bad boy!

The video is rather cool as well.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 59
RE: The Space Thread - 3/8/2010 10:47:22 AM   
grucl

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI