Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Space Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> The Space Thread Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Space Thread - 16/6/2009 2:12:58 PM   
Timon

Next month is the 40th anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission. That's right! 40 years since Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin first stepped on the moon and propelled us into the space age... which I'll be honest, still has yet to get going. It's been 40 years and while with have the I.S.S, no one has been back to the moon for 39 years...

As for Mars, it's forever a NASA mission priority that has yet to get any acceleration. Of course, in a worldwide recession and global climate crisis, you could argue we have bigger things to worry about.

But still, Space. For ever a mystery and a wonderment and a constant source of discussion. God bless the Hubble Telescope I say!

For those, not already buzzing about the 40th anniversary of Apollo 11, can I suggest you go straight to Amazon and pick up the glorious HBO miniseries From The Earth To The Moon (from the makers of Band of Brothers). It's astounding and is a perfect introduction to the Apollo missions. Try bookending it with The Right Stuff and In The Shadow of the Moon.

Oh and for all those that don't think we landed on the moon, you're just wrong and I'm not going to waste any more of my time with you crazy people. Back to Swindon with you!

< Message edited by Timon -- 21/7/2010 10:15:55 AM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 16/6/2009 2:18:28 PM   
Rgirvan44

But the shadows are the wrong way around. EXPLAIN THAT TIMON!!!!!

On a more serious note I have always felt that if there were to be a Mars mission you would need more than one ship going at the same time. The vessel would more than likely need to be built in space and be somewhat bigger than even the ISS.

One of the big problems as I understand it, is solar radiation. Any ship heading to Mars would need some pretty impressive shielding from the suns effects.

Any mission to Mars should involve the setting up of a colony base.

We have the moon nearby, no reason that can't be used as a testing ground. Its going to need a massive commitment of resources and attention from not just the American goverment, but other nations. Sadly I think NASA is more concerned about the next generation of shuttle and not about creating ships built for long term space exploration.

Still I cross my fingers that it will happen one day.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 16/6/2009 2:26:58 PM >

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 2
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 16/6/2009 2:28:48 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

But the shadows are the wrong way around. EXPLAIN THAT TIMON!!!!!

On a more serious note I have always felt that if there were to be a Mars mission you would need more than one ship going at the same time. The vessel would more than likely need to be built up in space and be somewhat bigger than even the ISS.

One of the big problems as I understand it, is solar radiation. Any ship heading to Mars would need some pretty impressive shielding from the suns effects.

Sorted.

quote:

Any mission to Mars should involve the setting up of a colony base.

We have the moon nearby, no reason that can't be used as a testing ground. Its going to need a massive commitment of resources and attention from not just the American goverment, but other nations. Sadly I think NASA is more concerned about the next generation of shuttle and not about create ships built for long term space exploration.

Still I cross my fingers that it will happen one day.

It's always irked me that we don't have a moon base or anything that the likes of 2001 or 70s sci-fi promised us we'd have. I think NASA suffered a complete lack of imagination throughout the 80s/90s. There must be so many disillusioned people there that grew up wanting to go to Mars and instead, they do supply runs to the ISS... which STILL isn't finished.

Still, Hubble works fine!

Also, I read that the shoulder star of Orion may have recently gone nova... and by recently I mean 800 years ago.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 3
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 16/6/2009 2:34:22 PM   
borstal

Betelgeuse?

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 4
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 16/6/2009 2:38:24 PM   
Rgirvan44

How much life does Hubble still have in it? I heard these repairs would be the last ones.

I suspect China is going to start moving forward with a space programme of its own. That might spur America on.

Mars is a huge huge risk in that there will be no help out there, no chance for survival if something goes wrong which I why I'm a supporter of sending at least two out - possbily more. Not only does it increase the chances of someone getting to Mars, it also means plenty of support. Putting down a colony of some sort will be required to give the crews a chance to get off of the ships - maybe at the ice caps - give them access to water (not drinkable of course).

Also interested in the idea of a space bridge being built here. No idea how you would go about building that.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 5
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 16/6/2009 2:59:15 PM   
Beno

One of my fav. Hubble images.

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 6
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 16/6/2009 3:02:09 PM   
Timon

Fact: Upon takeoff Apollo 12 was struck by lightning. Twice. Hardcore.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 7
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 16/6/2009 3:12:37 PM   
paul.mccluskey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

Amazing!

I would love to visit space, and hope that one day it will be possible for everyone to do so. However, Branson is planning on turning it into a money-making venture which is just mad !

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 8
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 16/6/2009 3:19:50 PM   
steflon

i'm currently looking for funding to help me build a big ladder

www.twitter.com/Steflon
http://onedayiwillhavehenchmen.blogspot.com/

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols
we can roam these vast Empire halls as awesome Stefs.

ORIGINAL: hiptobesquare_x
'and that's why Steflon is all kinds of awesome.'

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 9
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 16/6/2009 6:24:31 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

I have this as the background on my mobile

Couple of articles from the last few days:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8102086.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8099105.stm

Can't wait to see what they learn from the Hershel space observatory, if it's half as good as what Hubble has discovered it'll be worth it.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 10
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 17/6/2009 4:39:31 PM   
Timon

Awesome

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 11
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 17/6/2009 4:48:22 PM   
Sinatra

Great link here: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/index.html

Pictures are awesome.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 12
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 17/6/2009 5:06:50 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Also, I read that the shoulder star of Orion may have recently gone nova... and by recently I mean 800 years ago.

Oh no, will we have to rename it now then? First we lose Pluto, now this!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 13
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 17/6/2009 5:10:13 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

Where will the attack ships go now?

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 14
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 17/6/2009 5:33:09 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

Where will the attack ships go now?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 15
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 18/6/2009 1:32:30 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

Fact: Upon takeoff Apollo 12 was struck by lightning. Twice. Hardcore.

I never knew that!

I'd have loved to have been around during Apollo 11. Can you imagine watching that live?

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 16
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 18/6/2009 9:42:12 AM   
Timon

In the From The Earth To The Moon episode about the Apollo 12 mission, Al Bean (from whose perspective the episode is set) said it only shorted out a couple of lights and told the system the fuel cells had shorted... when they hadn't.

Also, as opposed to Neil Armstrong's poignant words upon setting foot on the moon, Apollo 12's Pete Conrad simply went "Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!"

Oh and Alan Bean smuggled a camera-shutter self-timer device on to the mission with the intent of taking a photograph with himself, Pete Conrad and the Surveyor 3 probe in the frame. As the timer was not part of their standard equipment, such an image would have thrown post-mission photo analysts into confusion over how the photo was taken. However, the self-timer was misplaced during the EVA and the plan was never executed.....d'oh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_12#Mission_highlights

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 17
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 18/6/2009 10:16:38 AM   
grucl

Every exploration of the first moon landing should start with these 2 quotes:

First, I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to the earth. No single space project in this period will be more impressive to mankind, or more important for the long-range exploration of space; and none will be so difficult or expensive to accomplish.
(President John F. Kennedy's Special Message to the Congress on Urgent National Needs  May 25, 1961)

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.
(President John F. Kennedy's Address at Rice Unviersity on the Nation's Space Effort, September 12, 1962)

< Message edited by grucl -- 18/6/2009 10:26:16 AM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 18
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 18/6/2009 11:25:05 AM   
shool

Awesome.

I think space travel is sorely missed. We all need hero's on the moon.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 19
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 18/6/2009 1:10:27 PM   
rikkie

I can heartily recommend this book for anyone interested in the moon landings. The author catches up with all surviving moonwalkers: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moondust-Search-Men-Fell-Earth/dp/0747563691/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245326930&sr=1-1

Oh no, not the bees! Not the bees! Ahhhhhh! All over my eyes! Eyes! Blaaaarghhh!

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 20
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 18/6/2009 1:17:12 PM   
Timon

I have that! It's amazing! Very strange how many hardened test pilots found God and an interest in art after their lunar experiences.

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 21
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 18/6/2009 1:19:18 PM   
rikkie

Yeah, it was really odd how some had found faith. But then again Americans are a bit weird like that

Oh no, not the bees! Not the bees! Ahhhhhh! All over my eyes! Eyes! Blaaaarghhh!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 22
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 18/6/2009 1:49:05 PM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: rikkie

Yeah, it was really odd how some had found faith. But then again Americans are a bit weird like that

Pah! Its perfectly obvious to me. To see the wonder and beauty of the earth and a step closer to the universe would make many marvel at the wonders of design and creation.

But that is off topic.

[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 23
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 18/6/2009 1:52:21 PM   
rikkie

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

But that is off topic.

Yes it is.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 24
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 18/6/2009 2:02:21 PM   
grucl

quote:

I have that! It's amazing! Very strange how many hardened test pilots found God and an interest in art after their lunar experiences.

Maybe they really met God up there...

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 25
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 18/6/2009 2:08:47 PM   
rikkie

quote:

ORIGINAL: grucl

quote:

Maybe they really met God up there...

Or perhaps ultimately it meant that the brain couldn't cope with being presented with the stark reality of infinity and our complete insignificance without cracking and resorting to supernatural theories. Perhaps.

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 26
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 18/6/2009 2:48:00 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

Pah! Its perfectly obvious to me. To see the wonder and beauty of the earth and a step closer to the universe would make many marvel at the wonders of design and creation.

But that is off topic.

"In Space,,,,,,, nobody can hear you knocking on doors...!"

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 27
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 18/6/2009 2:49:25 PM   
superdan

They should have sent a poet.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 28
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 18/6/2009 2:51:28 PM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

quote:

But that is off topic.

"In Space,,,,,,, nobody can hear you knocking on doors...!"

If they ever colonise up there, we'll be there too. You cant escape.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 29
RE: Empire's Space & Interstellar Exploration Thread - 18/6/2009 2:54:08 PM   
Sinatra

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> The Space Thread Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI