Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Film review (short)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Film review (short) Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Film review (short) - 8/7/2009 8:47:27 AM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979

I have all the empathy in the world; I went with a good friend of mine who is black and he wasn't offended at all.

However your claim that white people do not have to deal with racism is fairly ridiculous, also is the claim that I have to consider something racist just to be empathetic towards something is utter tosh and wildly patronising.

To me it comes across as me being sympathetic for someone even if they don't need it.

Hey if Bay turns round and says that he was representing black people with those two characters I would be just as disgusted as you; but he hasn't - its your intepretation and as a result you are brandishing it racist based on that and nothing else.

Do you know follow what I am saying?

I think we're getting our wires crossed, Waltham.
Probably my fault.

When I said that some empathy would be a good thing, I meant it would be good coming from Bay. I wasn't directing that at you. Apologies. I meant that he could have some kind of empathy towards the people who are the subject of the humour.

Also, when I said what I said about white people and racism, I simply meant that we don't necessarily suffer racism personally to the extent that other races do. You have to agree that white people have the easiest ride when it comes to racism. Not to say that it doesn't happen, by any means.

And finally, Bay is never going to say that he was representing black people and as I've said before I don't think he was being racist. I just think that the characters are naively created and have caused offence to some people. Now, you're not one of those people and neither is your friend but there are plenty who have taken offence and they are not necessarily wrong for doing so.

If something offended you and someone told you that you were wrong to feel offended, you'd tell them where to go and you'd be right to do it.

Being offended by something is an involuntary reflex. It's like finding something funny in a way. You're either offended or you're not in the same way something is either funny or it's not. If you are offended then you have to look at the intention behind what offended you and I think in this case nobody could accuse Bay of having a racist agenda but he did incorporate some very lazy cultural stereotypes.

I'm Irish and if he made an Irish Transformer (an Aut O'Bot, if you will!) and he had it talking in a diddley-eye accent, then I'd probably groan with embarrassment but wouldn't be offended. But then, if he started depicting the robot as a drunk and an idiot then I would be offended.

Everyone has a line that can be crossed by someone else's taste. You have it, I have it, everyone has it.

When you put it like that I can see what your saying and I am sorry we got are wires crossed.

I would however say that I do agree with a previous poster that I think this film is far more inherenty sexist than racist.

On another note your irish transformer comment made me spit my tea out over my computer screen!

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 571
RE: Film review (short) - 8/7/2009 5:08:03 PM   
Foxy brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

Although I loved the first Transformers, how come no one made a fuss about the stereotypical Indian call centre worker?

This is a very good point. I wonder how an Indian working in a call centre watching that would feel? I used to work in one and it made me cringe a little. But... this is what Bay does for comedy. Uses and exploits stereotypes. In fact this is what a lot if comedy does, just Bay has no subtlety.

I am Jack's smirking revenge....
I am Jack's inflamed sense of rejection....
I am Jack's complete lack of surprise....

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 572
RE: Film review (short) - 9/7/2009 7:39:24 AM   
Drone

I was really disappointed, I went to see two and a half hours of Citizen Kane and all I got was a lousy film about robots fighting, awesome explosions and switch-off-your-brain fun

Oh, wait, that's exactly what I got, and I loved it.

****/***** on first viewing, although I get the feeling, once the initial wow factor is gone, repeat viewings will make it a ***.

The twins were very annoying, as was Sam's erroneous room mate who was dragged along for the ride.  I was expecting it to be "Megan Fox II : Revenge of the Fallen", but to be fair, she wasn't used as gratuitously as I had been led to believe. 

(in reply to Foxy brown)
Post #: 573
Not What I was Expecting - 9/7/2009 8:01:22 AM   
Thunderball76

I loved the first one and I went along to this one expecting to see mindless blockbuster entertainment and enjoy some mayhem. What I saw was worse than the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie with Vanilla Ice in it. I left the cinema just needing to be held - not 'cos I'm a fanboy, I just felt violated. I need to be alone now.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 574
Not What I was Expecting - 9/7/2009 8:01:54 AM   
Thunderball76

I loved the first one and I went along to this one expecting to see mindless blockbuster entertainment and enjoy some mayhem. What I saw was worse than the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie with Vanilla Ice in it. I left the cinema just needing to be held - not 'cos I'm a fanboy, I just felt violated. I need to be alone now.

Post #: 575
RE: Film review (short) - 9/7/2009 1:44:10 PM   
Andybee76

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

Meh is all I can muster.

It may not have bothered you but it bothered plenty of other people. Even the scriptwriters have distanced themselves from it by making it clear that they did not write those characters in that way.

Here's an extract from an interview with them conducted by a guy called Cole;
I had a chance to speak with screenwriters Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman about the issue, and they had some surprising things to say. They've already claimed in other interviews that the gold tooth and several other elements were Michael Bay's idea, but when I talked to them, they moved beyond that to claim they were disappointed by the characters.

Cole: I heard that the gold tooth was Michael Bay's idea, but do you have any response to those who found The Twins offensive?

Orci: Number one, we sympathize. Yes, the gold tooth was not in the script, that's true.

Kurtzman: It's really hard for us to sit here and try to justify it.I think that would be very foolish, and if someone wants to be offended by it, it's their right. We were very surprised when we saw it, too, and it's a choice that was made. If anything, it just shows you that we don't control every aspect of the movie.

Cole: Were you offended by them?

Kurtzman: I wasn't thrilled. I certainly wasn't thrilled.

Orci: Yeah, same reaction. I'm not easily offended, but when I saw it, I thought, 'Someone's gonna write about that.'Ē

A fairly level-headed response, I'd say. It will be interesting to see if the outrage about the characters continues, but it's interesting to know that even the screenwriters of the project were none too happy about the portrayal of those characters within the film.

So people who have worked intimately on the film recognise the problem.

I cannot stand that apathetic 'meh' attitude. It's so ignorant and selfish.

It's exactly the kind of slack attitude that allows bullshit like the racism in Transformers to go on and nobody has to answer for it.

I'm not saying that Bay is a bigot but he needs to get a grip and stop playing garbage like this for cheap laughs at the expense of an extremely significant proportion of the population.

Black people are not fodder for him to make cheap jokes about and things are tough enough without adding this layer of crap on top of it all.

Yeah but you say that, I watched this in a screen where there were lots of black people who loved those characters!! So make of that what you will!!  I have to admit though I never clocked that Gold tooth but that is a bit much!!!  I personally found those characters to be fucking annoying Jar Jar style!!!

Love that Isabel Lucas though ,HOT!!!!

I have and always will be, your friend

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 576
RE: Film review (short) - 11/7/2009 11:52:58 AM   
target

Yeah they were annoying, i didn't get why they had to be so goofy looking. I wish the female biker robots had more to do they were much more intresting.

We're not retreating we're advancing in another direction

Thanks for the AV darthbane.

(in reply to Andybee76)
Post #: 577
RE: Film review (short) - 12/7/2009 4:46:10 PM   
mystra

quote:

ORIGINAL: target

Yeah they were annoying, i didn't get why they had to be so goofy looking. I wish the female biker robots had more to do they were much more intresting.

me too, when i first saw Arcee was in it, and that she was a bike, then the whole thing in the trailer with Megan Fox on a bike, was kinda expecting them to pair up like Sam and Bumblebee, thought it would be cool. But no you barely see Arcee and i'm pretty sure she gets blown up lol and Megan Fox does bugger all but look pretty, would be nice...i'm no bra burning feminist, but surely there's nothing hotter than a girl that can kick a bit of ass too? she kinda gets reduced to keeping that annoying little decepicon thing like a pet chiuahua, will she be wearing pink and running in her heels and complaining about breaking nails in Transformers 3? She is supposed to be a hot chick that gets her hands dirty and is smart too (well bit dippy when it comes to boys but hey we were all teenagers once!), in the first one, but they kinda took a lot of that away, bit of a shame. Ah well, i'm not that bothered, just don't see the point of being half a character in the movie. :)

(in reply to target)
Post #: 578
RE: Film review (short) - 12/7/2009 5:01:03 PM   
Tech_Noir

Unlike most, I'm liking the film more and more in retrospect.

DVD is definite purchase.

(in reply to mystra)
Post #: 579
RE: Film review (short) - 12/7/2009 10:27:05 PM   
Ghost Mutt

Finally got around to seeing this tonight after seemingly everyone I know had already done so - although judging by how packed the cinema was, there were plenty in the same boat.

As a fan there was a big part of me fearing the worse after reading such poor reviews, and after an hour in, my fears were confirmed. It was terrible. I couldn't believe how bad things were.

Bay had seemingly made each human character - who from the previous film had been pretty smart with one or two exceptions - a complete parody of themselves. The mother and father, for example, became completely unrealistic and, frankly, annoying. The dialogue was horrendous.

Robots were introduced too frequently, and many of the more interesting transformers had little screen time compared to the fucking terrible transformers who Bay decided to leave the camera pointed at.

But then, after seriously contemplating whether or not to chip off, the action started. And this is the films only strong point. The forrest battle, is EASILY the best action sequence you'll see all year and kick started a desire to carry on watching. The final battle in the desert and *SPOILER* Prime's final fight with Megatron and The Fallen were expertly done. Hell, even the Twin's fight with Devestator was fairly decent.

But, that was it. Maybe that's all we should expect from a Transformers film; I mean the cartoons were pretty shoddy (The Girl Who Loved Powerglide?!) and even the 1986 version has a couple of ropey moments.

It's especially something we should except from one directed by Michael Bay, anyway. Credit where credit's due, the first live action effort was very good in my opinion, but it was a blip. Other than Transfomers; the bloke's track record is terrible.

To sum it all up, just like Star trek and Terminator, a blockbuster this year has failed to deliver the full package. Your simply left waiting for the next big sequence.

I'll definately grab it on DVD. But just to check out one or two sequences.

Picking my scabs.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 580
RE: Film review (short) - 12/7/2009 10:28:22 PM   
Ghost Mutt

Finally got around to seeing this tonight after seemingly everyone I know had already done so - although judging by how packed the cinema was, there were plenty in the same boat.

As a fan there was a big part of me fearing the worse after reading such poor reviews, and after an hour in, my fears were confirmed. It was terrible. I couldn't believe how bad things were.

Bay had seemingly made each human character - who from the previous film had been pretty smart with one or two exceptions - a complete parody of themselves. The mother and father, for example, became completely unrealistic and, frankly, annoying. The dialogue was horrendous.

Robots were introduced too frequently, and many of the more interesting transformers had little screen time compared to the fucking terrible transformers who Bay decided to leave the camera pointed at.

But then, after seriously contemplating whether or not to chip off, the action started. And this is the films only strong point. The forrest battle, is EASILY the best action sequence you'll see all year and kick started a desire to carry on watching. The final battle in the desert and *SPOILER* Prime's final fight with Megatron and The Fallen were expertly done. Hell, even the Twin's fight with Devastator was fairly decent.

But, that was it. Maybe that's all we should expect from a Transformers film; I mean the cartoons were pretty shoddy (The Girl Who Loved Powerglide?!) and even the 1986 version has a couple of ropey moments.

It's especially something we should except from one directed by Michael Bay, anyway. Credit where credit's due, the first live action effort was very good in my opinion, but it was a blip. Other than Transformers; the bloke's track record is terrible.

To sum it all up, just like Star trek and Terminator, a blockbuster this year has failed to deliver the full package. Your simply left waiting for the next big sequence.

I'll definitely grab it on DVD. But just to check out one or two sequences.

Picking my scabs.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 581
RE: Film review (short) - 13/7/2009 8:37:42 AM   
tftrman

quote:

Unlike most, I'm liking the film more and more in retrospect.

DVD is definite purchase.

Got to watch this last night and I really enjoyed it so you're not totally alone Tech! The only part that really jarred for me was the mom, every time she was providing comedy relief it was cringeworthy. Other than that I didn't look at my watch once, which is pretty good for a 2 and a half hour long film.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 582
RE: Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen - 13/7/2009 11:23:18 AM   
Ghost Mutt

John Turturro was the fucking nuts though man...

Picking my scabs.

Post #: 583
RE: Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen - 13/7/2009 2:50:41 PM   
spamandham

I just got around to watching this, and to be honest i actually quite enjoyed it in spite of myself; however i got to see it for free so that was a major contributing factor! 

All the criticism is valid, an hour too long, brainless etc. 3/5 for free, 2/5 if you have to pay for a ticket.

(in reply to Ghost Mutt)
Post #: 584
RE: Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen - 13/7/2009 2:51:38 PM   
spamandham

duplicate post

< Message edited by spamandham -- 13/7/2009 2:53:16 PM >

(in reply to Ghost Mutt)
Post #: 585
Transformers 2 - 13/7/2009 9:19:18 PM   
durelius

Well does exactly what it says on the tin, Big robots hitting the shit out of each other and destroying most of the planet in the process. It's all about the quality CGI and sound effects and getting the actors to interact with all this believably. Hits the mark every time you don't go to watch this film if your expecting cerebral entertainment high drama and wrenching emotion. I here a lot of people slagging this off as trash, wtf did you expect Citizen Kane ...k Off, it's blowing shit up and having fun, this is Bay not Mann. For me just as entertaining as Public Enemies but in very different ways.

Post #: 586
I haven't seen it but giving it 1 star anyway - 14/7/2009 1:33:29 AM   
SpiderBat

Feels good!

Post #: 587
RE: I haven't seen it but giving it 1 star anyway - 16/7/2009 7:57:08 AM   
Tosschops

Spoilers within.

I hated the first one and was dragged along by my girlfriend to see this last night.  All I can say is I hated it even more than the first and I didnít think that was possible.  Michael Bay shouldnít be allowed near a film camera. 

The problems are vast, ignoring the fact that the Twins were racist they were very fucking annoying, when it looked like one of them could of died I semi cheered up in the fact that I might not hear them again.  The college mate was as annoying as the Twins, there was no point to his character, and if he was put in as comedy release he failed fucking miserably.

The film was far too long for a film that had no story line.  The last 45 minutes or so was just trying to get from the temple in Last Crusade to where Optimus was.  During that part of the film I just kept thinking 'My arse it killing me and he still has to revive Prime and he still has to fight the two big baddies.

On a plus point at least some of the time you could make out what was happening during the fights but way the fuck does Bay keep moving the camera?  There wasnít a scene when the camera was still even when 2 people were just talking.

The final point in this massive rant.  This was mean to be a kidís film based on a kidís toy.   If thatís the case why are there so many sexual shots, close ups on Meganís arse and tits, the Terminator robot tits and arse, the seemingly loads of jokes about testicles.

Michael Bay needs to have his testicles booted to pieces by me for wasting 2 and half hours of my life for that shite.

I believe what doesn't kill you, simply makes you.....Stranger.

(in reply to SpiderBat)
Post #: 588
RE: Film review (short) - 16/7/2009 8:07:23 AM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andybee76

quote:

quote:

Meh is all I can muster.

It may not have bothered you but it bothered plenty of other people. Even the scriptwriters have distanced themselves from it by making it clear that they did not write those characters in that way.

Here's an extract from an interview with them conducted by a guy called Cole;
I had a chance to speak with screenwriters Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman about the issue, and they had some surprising things to say. They've already claimed in other interviews that the gold tooth and several other elements were Michael Bay's idea, but when I talked to them, they moved beyond that to claim they were disappointed by the characters.

Cole: I heard that the gold tooth was Michael Bay's idea, but do you have any response to those who found The Twins offensive?

Orci: Number one, we sympathize. Yes, the gold tooth was not in the script, that's true.

Kurtzman: It's really hard for us to sit here and try to justify it.I think that would be very foolish, and if someone wants to be offended by it, it's their right. We were very surprised when we saw it, too, and it's a choice that was made. If anything, it just shows you that we don't control every aspect of the movie.

Cole: Were you offended by them?

Kurtzman: I wasn't thrilled. I certainly wasn't thrilled.

Orci: Yeah, same reaction. I'm not easily offended, but when I saw it, I thought, 'Someone's gonna write about that.'Ē

A fairly level-headed response, I'd say. It will be interesting to see if the outrage about the characters continues, but it's interesting to know that even the screenwriters of the project were none too happy about the portrayal of those characters within the film.

So people who have worked intimately on the film recognise the problem.

I cannot stand that apathetic 'meh' attitude. It's so ignorant and selfish.

It's exactly the kind of slack attitude that allows bullshit like the racism in Transformers to go on and nobody has to answer for it.

I'm not saying that Bay is a bigot but he needs to get a grip and stop playing garbage like this for cheap laughs at the expense of an extremely significant proportion of the population.

Black people are not fodder for him to make cheap jokes about and things are tough enough without adding this layer of crap on top of it all.

Yeah but you say that, I watched this in a screen where there were lots of black people who loved those characters!! So make of that what you will!!† I have to admit though I never clocked that Gold tooth but that is a bit much!!!† I personally found those characters to be fucking annoying Jar Jar style!!!

Love that Isabel Lucas though ,HOT!!!!

So what? That doesn't mean there isn't a problem. What about the black people who do have a problem with it?
Also this "What were you expecting? Citizen Kane?" bullshit from some people is getting old. Just because there are robots in it doesn't mean you have to accept any substandard guff they throw at you. The forest battle was impressive but if that's all it was for 2.5 hours you'd be bored out of your arse so the story/script is important.

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to Andybee76)
Post #: 589
RE: Film review (short) - 16/7/2009 8:22:24 AM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

So what? That doesn't mean there isn't a problem. What about the black people who do have a problem with it?

Not trying to shit-stir but where are these angry black people?

I really have not come across any that are pissed off with Michael Bay.

One of my most out-spoken black friends would probably be more angry at overly sensitive white people saying she should be offended.

< Message edited by Tech_Noir -- 16/7/2009 8:26:15 AM >

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 590
RE: Film review (short) - 16/7/2009 9:39:24 AM   
tftrman

I think they said in the first film that Transformers learnt how to talk etc via the internet, so the twins would have got their "gangsta personas" from rap videos and films, maybe their characters are actually a meta-critique about how African Americans are represented in the media?!?!

Personally, I don't agree with Wilbert's interpretation (the above is a joke before i'm accused of contradicting myself) but that doesn't mean he is wrong to feel that way if that's what he took from those characters. And I also wish that people wouldn't use the argument "well black people aren't offended", it doesn't make sense.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 591
RE: Film review (short) - 16/7/2009 9:44:41 AM   
CORLEONE

I find the whole racism argument nauseating. Especially as no black people seem to be bothered by it. 

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 592
RE: Film review (short) - 16/7/2009 9:55:52 AM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

I find the whole racism argument nauseating. Especially as no black people seem to be bothered by it.†

Transformers 2 has been accused of everything - sexism, racism, even anti-Obama.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 593
RE: Film review (short) - 16/7/2009 10:01:05 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

I find the whole racism argument nauseating. Especially as no black people seem to be bothered by it. 

Transformers 2 has been accused of everything - sexism, racism, even anti-Obama.

He wanted to trade Sam to Megatron and tell the Autobots to beat it if they didn't give us their weapons!

The man can't be trusted!

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 594
RE: Film review (short) - 16/7/2009 10:02:59 AM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

I find the whole racism argument nauseating. Especially as no black people seem to be bothered by it.†

He wanted to trade Sam to Megatron and tell the Autobots to beat it if they didn't give us their weapons!

No no no, that would be the cliched Presidential Advisor which we never saw. Did you learn nothing from Independence Day.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 595
RE: Film review (short) - 16/7/2009 10:05:59 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

No no no, that would be the cliched Presidential Advisor which we never saw. Did you learn nothing from Independence Day.

But his orders came directly from the President! He told us so!

As to the Twins, my real issue with them was that at one point we had something like five comic relief characters all in the same group.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 596
Cack "Comedy" - 16/7/2009 12:59:45 PM   
BowiesPal

Went to see it last night with my girlfriend, who has never seen the first film or any of the cartoons (she asked me if the Decepticons were the baddies) and she loved the "funny bits". I watched those scenes with a scowel and clenched teeth.
Pretty much everything that pissed me off about it has been covered on here- the twins, the forced comedy moments, the robot leg humper, bumblebee CRYING! the room mate etc.
I walked out of the cinema feeling generally disapointed, and felt so much more could've been done with the characters, especially the fallen, and devestator (balls or no balls). Plus points for me were obviously the fantastic effects, the prime V 3 decepticon fight scene, and more running from Megan Fox (the only contribution she gave to the film?).
Michael Bay has done SOME decent work, i like seeing things getting blown up, but all his films have the same ultra American, ultra showey feel to them, (slo-mo shots just for the hell of it). For the next film i'd like to see a bit of a change of staff, both behind the camera and in front of it.

Post #: 597
Cack "Comedy" - 16/7/2009 1:00:20 PM   
BowiesPal

Went to see it last night with my girlfriend, who has never seen the first film or any of the cartoons (she asked me if the Decepticons were the baddies) and she loved the "funny bits". I watched those scenes with a scowel and clenched teeth.
Pretty much everything that pissed me off about it has been covered on here- the twins, the forced comedy moments, the robot leg humper, bumblebee CRYING! the room mate etc.
I walked out of the cinema feeling generally disapointed, and felt so much more could've been done with the characters, especially the fallen, and devestator (balls or no balls). Plus points for me were obviously the fantastic effects, the prime V 3 decepticon fight scene, and more running from Megan Fox (the only contribution she gave to the film?).
Michael Bay has done SOME decent work, i like seeing things getting blown up, but all his films have the same ultra American, ultra showey feel to them, (slo-mo shots just for the hell of it). For the next film i'd like to see a bit of a change of staff, both behind the camera and in front of it.

Post #: 598
Oh my - 16/7/2009 3:35:27 PM   
Death_Row_Marv

I am a huge transformers fan and did enjoy the first one more than I should of really.

Where to start with this mess.

The Casual racism is one place,the twins with gold teeth and couldn't read. Oh dear, cringed at that.

The overly sexual nature of the Megan Fox close ups. yes I am a guy. Yes i am stright. Yes she is stunning. But too much for a family/kids film.

A lot of bad language and and voilence for a 12A shows the pull that studios have these days.  This is a very hard 12A and prob not one for kids.

Lack of plot for another, i think its sad taht films like this make millions and millions when really good throughtful films with real charcters and plot are not shown. There isnt a cinema near me showing Moon which i find really sad.

Why do people still hire Mr Bay.

Rule one. I am always right.
Rule two. If it looks like I am wrong refer to rule one.
Check out http://marksfilmview.wordpress.com/

(in reply to BowiesPal)
Post #: 599
RE: Film review (short) - 16/7/2009 4:19:26 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: tftrman

I think they said in the first film that Transformers learnt how to talk etc via the internet, so the twins would have got their "gangsta personas" from rap videos and films, maybe their characters are actually a meta-critique about how African Americans are represented in the media?!?!

Personally, I don't agree with Wilbert's interpretation (the above is a joke before i'm accused of contradicting myself) but that doesn't mean he is wrong to feel that way if that's what he took from those characters. And I also wish that people wouldn't use the argument "well black people aren't offended", it doesn't make sense.

Just to be clear... I wasn't personally offended by it, I don't think that Bay is being intentionally racist, I don't think that black people should feel offended if they aren't already, but what I would say is that if a black person told me they were offended by the film I would have no problem seeing what they were talking about.

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 600
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Film review (short) Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI