Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Trudi Canavan and Black Magician Trilogy

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Trudi Canavan and Black Magician Trilogy Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Trudi Canavan and Black Magician Trilogy - 10/6/2009 2:57:12 PM   
Icon

Can anyone recommend this author? I'm not into fantasy much but this one caught my eye in Easons the other day.

You name it! 09!
Post #: 1
RE: Trudi Canavan and Black Magician Trilogy - 10/6/2009 4:38:55 PM   
Helen OHara

I read one of her trilogies, think it was this one, and it was a bit meh. Felt like one book stretched out over three volumes - and not in a good, Lord of the Rings sort of way. Just stretched.

"I never understood drinking. It isn't good for your looks, and it cuts down on what you are. I never wanted to cut down on what I am." - Mae West

"Movies are forever, and sex doesn't last" - Mae West.

(in reply to Icon)
Post #: 2
RE: Trudi Canavan and Black Magician Trilogy - 10/6/2009 4:49:15 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I really enjoyed the Black Magician Trilogy it was the Age of the Five that I found really hard going. 

I'll definitely give her new one a go though - The Magician's Apprentice.

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Helen OHara)
Post #: 3
RE: Trudi Canavan and Black Magician Trilogy - 10/6/2009 5:08:24 PM   
James2183

The Black Magician Trilogy was fun to read, even if they were a bit thin in plot and substance. They reminded me of Eddings work to a certain extent. I don't think it needed three books to cover the story arc but the third one was pretty exciting.

Have you given Raymond Feist a read? For the fantasy genre, I can't recomment him enough

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 4
RE: Trudi Canavan and Black Magician Trilogy - 10/6/2009 9:39:23 PM   
FlangeBags

I really enjoyed both her series, found them very engaging.

Try getting one out of the library and see if it floats your boat.

My homepage - http://allendonnelly.squarespace.com/

My debut novel, BUY IT (please)! - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crystal-Eyes-ebook/dp/B005ZJ56GY

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 5
RE: Trudi Canavan and Black Magician Trilogy - 10/6/2009 9:56:11 PM   
clare_star_

I read the Age of Five books first and quite enjoyed them, I actually found the Black Magician series less enjoyable purely because I didn't have as much interest in the main character(s) that much. There are a couple of moments in Priestess of the White where I was like "yeah!" very vivid and captivating scenes. I found the Black Magician novels at times a little childish and they didn't always hold my interest, I felt like I was skipping/scan reading certain parts which is never a good thing!

She's recently published another in this series, a prequel, and its probably the best thing she's written, which bodes well for the planned trilogy which takes place after events of Black Magician.

I feel like there is clear improvement through each of her books and if you want a light bit of fantasy with some fun female protagonists then its worth picking them all up!

''Twitter''

(in reply to FlangeBags)
Post #: 6
RE: Trudi Canavan and Black Magician Trilogy - 11/6/2009 1:24:43 PM   
Icon

Thanks for the comments, guys.

I think I'll give this one a miss. I was loaned a copy of the City and the Stars by Arthur C. Clarke. I think I'll change my new literature focus from fantasy to science fiction.

You name it! 09!

(in reply to clare_star_)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Trudi Canavan and Black Magician Trilogy Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI