Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Sherlock

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Sherlock Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sherlock - 1/8/2010 10:50:12 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

I didn't enjoy this episode as much the first one. It is difficult to define why but I think it is because there was more focus on Sherlock and I am not really finding that character as interesting as the Watson character.

It's actually a very straight version of the character, but in all honesty I think BC is the best Holmes since Brett so I'm captivated.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 91
RE: Sherlock - 1/8/2010 11:18:38 PM   
JessFranco

The first one one was very sharply written - one of the best pieces of popular BBC drama in ages. The second one was like a drawn-out episode of Jonathan Creek. It was watchable though, and we can hope for a return to form next week.

Even the French know better than to fuck with me

http://closer-to-perfection.tumblr.com/

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 92
RE: Sherlock - 1/8/2010 11:19:20 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

I thought it was more Watson focused actually! Yeah, didn't enjoy this one as much as the first episode, but it was still good telly.

EDIT: Bit miffed Rupert Graves wasn't in tonight's episode, I missed him.

I think you've hit the nail on the head JessFranco. (Though I do love me some Creek )

< Message edited by Lazy wolf eyes -- 1/8/2010 11:23:31 PM >

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.

Post #: 93
RE: Sherlock - 1/8/2010 11:20:04 PM   
musht

quote:

I didn't enjoy this episode as much the first one. It is difficult to define why but I think it is because there was more focus on Sherlock and I am not really finding that character as interesting as the Watson character.

Really glad other people thought this, i wasn't sure bout Sherlock's character in the 1st episode but decided not to say anything cause it was only the first episode but after watching the second I've come to the conclusion that Cumberbatch is playing Holmes far too serious, reading the stories I always understood Holmes to be quite a jovial character who not only loves his work but enjoys it also and while I understand this series is dealing with his more serious stories I still think Cumberbatch could be having a little bit more fun with it instead of just playing it straight

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

Post #: 94
RE: Sherlock - 2/8/2010 9:33:17 AM   
demoncleaner

I was able to enjoy this episode more so than last week’s.  While the first one was top notch the “getting to know you” aspect of new TV left it a more judicious appreciation than an entertainment.  Anyway, I definitely warmed to it last night and it felt like a proper adventure.  Possibly more breezy than the last, I don’t know if the action-oriented element offends the purists but it chimed with the spirit of the Rathbone yarns which is more my experience of Holmes (for better or worse) than any other adaps.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 95
RE: Sherlock - 2/8/2010 9:35:49 AM   
elab49

I still enjoyed the second epi very much, but I don't think the writing or story were as bold as the first epi - the story was more an obvious reworking of original plots. Very competently done, but without much of the brio of the opener. But still great.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 96
RE: Sherlock - 2/8/2010 12:28:14 PM   
kathryn2

I agree - last week's was a work of genius, so I guess the dip this week was inevitable.

It just didn't feel as tight or as pacey , despite having a cheeky opening sequence with Watson and Holmes. Plus the Moriarty stuff felt very tacked on. And it took Holmes far too long to figure out that someone else was in the flat with him - hello, that rug was still wet!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 97
RE: Sherlock - 2/8/2010 4:13:15 PM   
sharkboy

Another really enjoyable episode.  OK, so maybe it wasn't as fresh as last week's one, but then again unlike the opening episode we had a better idea what to expect this time.  Personally, I enjoyed it just as much as the series opener, though I was waiting throughout for a reveal that the cop was a member of the Black Lotus!

As for Holmes being portrayed as "too serious", I don't think this is the case at all.  Last week you had him outing the affair between the police sergeant and the CSI guy with "she must have polished the floor by the look of her knees", this week there were several whimsical moments (the surreptitious disposal of the assassin's sword, the "I asked your secretary" response to how he worked out the banker's travel arrangements...)  Personally, I think Cumberbatch is playing Holmes as a "high functioning sociopath" that just happens to know how to use that status to get his jollies by messing with peoples heads.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to kathryn2)
Post #: 98
RE: Sherlock - 2/8/2010 6:59:17 PM   
Rebenectomy

Like others I thought this episode was lacking in pace, especially in the middle and it wasn't half as tidy as last week's, but the strong concept, style and cast were able maintain the quality enough that I'm not dwelling on it. Cumberbatch is quite excellent in the role, enough dry humour to keep certain aspects light (the head bobbing about the desks in the bank for example), while you still get a hint at the tortured genius beneath, with his socially awkward moments and air of superiority.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 99
RE: Sherlock - 8/8/2010 10:30:17 PM   
boove

bastards!

how can they leave it on a cliff hanger!

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 100
RE: Sherlock - 8/8/2010 10:33:59 PM   
Rgirvan44

Well that was rather fun.

I liked Jim - hopefully he sticks around.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to boove)
Post #: 101
RE: Sherlock - 8/8/2010 10:34:57 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: boove

bastards!

how can they leave it on a cliff hanger!

Just like that

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to boove)
Post #: 102
RE: Sherlock - 8/8/2010 10:35:02 PM   
foz

I thought the ending was very well done, if a little frustrating!  The use of the multiple laser sights to suddenly show that it was much more than 2 against 1 was a nice touch, as was the slight moment of doubt as to who you-know-who was.

All in all, more good telly from the Beeb, hopefully it won't be too long before it starts up again as these three episodes - despite their length - have served pretty well as a setup for Sherlock's world.

(in reply to boove)
Post #: 103
RE: Sherlock - 8/8/2010 10:36:42 PM   
elab49

SOme moment of genius in there although, as is common with Gatiss, an occasionally tendency to clever-clever. Still fantastic fun, even if the Vermeer wasn't remotely a Vermeer. Not happy with the very end, as it seems a bit of a cheap trick, but I'm also very pleased with myself for spotting Moriarty the moment he turned up. I think I liked his performance but I'm surprised that was Gatiss, as a lot of the final stuff in the baths reminded me a lot of Jekyll, even if it did include the original Moriarty/Sherlock quotes.

All in all a brilliant series. I'd just like Moffat to write more of it next time as his episode was still, for me, the absolute stand out.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to boove)
Post #: 104
RE: Sherlock - 8/8/2010 10:37:40 PM   
adambatman82

Spoilers

Bit disappointed with the Moriarty reveal. He reminded me of Grahame Norton (cue obligatory "Norton's all over the BBC joke"). I do like the show in general tho. The first episode was spectacular, and this episode showed moments of that greatness too. I really wasn't a fan of lasts weeks episode tho. I loved the cliffhanger too! Roll on Xmas.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 105
RE: Sherlock - 8/8/2010 10:40:51 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

Epic fail on the Moriarty casting but good scripting from Gatiss (surprisingly).

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 106
RE: Sherlock - 8/8/2010 10:43:43 PM   
elab49

Actually, I suppose it isn't really a cliffhanger. Sherlock did 'die' when he met Moriarty by water. In keeping with the original again

quote:

Post #: 107
RE: Sherlock - 8/8/2010 10:44:15 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

Epic fail on the Moriarty casting but good scripting from Gatiss (surprisingly).

I liked him! There are expectations with that character which I think they subverted. Although he did remind me a little bit of John Simm as the Master.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 108
RE: Sherlock - 8/8/2010 10:46:19 PM   
elab49

Ditto Rgirvan - it was going to be someone virtually no-one had heard of to match the anonymity. And I thought his moments of quite frightening turns of anger were very very well done. But like I said - I saw Jekyll rather than The master.

quote:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 109
RE: Sherlock - 8/8/2010 10:47:03 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

I liked him! There are expectations with that character which I think they subverted. Although he did remind me a little bit of John Simm as the Master.

Conceptually sound, yes, but that actor was shocking.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 110
RE: Sherlock - 8/8/2010 10:47:51 PM   
Rebenectomy

Really good episode, kept my attention throughout. But wasn't massively keen on Moriarty. I always imagine a more sophisticated criminal mastermind, someone calm and calculating rather than in your face crazy. I'd have thought he'd be more subtle.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 111
RE: Sherlock - 8/8/2010 10:49:24 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

Really good episode, kept my attention throughout. But wasn't massively keen on Moriarty. I always imagine a more sophisticated criminal mastermind, someone calm and calculating rather than in your face crazy. I'd have thought he'd be more subtle.

Problem is, you already had that in episode one and Mycroft. You couldn't have another character who acted in that way.

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 112
RE: Sherlock - 8/8/2010 10:52:33 PM   
kathryn2

quote:

quote:

quote:

Conceptually sound, yes, but that actor was shocking.

Nothing wrong with the acting - its the interpretation that you don't like.

I'm actually wondering if it really is Moriarty, because 'Jim' just isn't consistent with the 'Moriarty' character staying so hidden. I'm wondering if it's a bit of a bluff.

Post #: 113
RE: Sherlock - 8/8/2010 11:01:13 PM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

Problem is, you already had that in episode one and Mycroft. You couldn't have another character who acted in that way.

Not really. Mycroft is no mastermind, not really that smooth, a foppish refined English gent yes, but almost slipping into caricature. I never had him pegged as the baddie to begin with as he never struck me as truly menacing. Moriarty needn't have been any of the former, but should definitely have been the latter. However I would have preferred simmering genius rather than the Arkham escape type.

< Message edited by Rebenectomy -- 8/8/2010 11:02:27 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 114
RE: Sherlock - 8/8/2010 11:03:07 PM   
Base

Bit undecided on Moriarty, would need to see more of him in the role.

The very opening scene when Sherlock is in sillouette, could have sworn that was Alan Rickman's voice and wondered how the hell they kept him playing Moriarty a secret, so a bit disappointing that it wasn't him, and for me being a dumbass

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to kathryn2)
Post #: 115
RE: Sherlock - 8/8/2010 11:15:30 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

I'm undecided with Moriarty too. He was a bit too unhinged to seem totally menacing, but I'd like to see him a bit more before making a judgement.  Really great episode overall though, a tad annoyed they ended it like that though! *shakes fist* 

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 116
RE: Sherlock - 8/8/2010 11:30:43 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Base

Bit undecided on Moriarty, would need to see more of him in the role.

The very opening scene when Sherlock is in sillouette, could have sworn that was Alan Rickman's voice and wondered how the hell they kept him playing Moriarty a secret, so a bit disappointing that it wasn't him, and for me being a dumbass

I thought he sounded an awful lot like Rickman as well.

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 117
RE: Sherlock - 8/8/2010 11:31:21 PM   
bad hat harry

is anyone else as utterly frustrated by the iplayer as i am? still, really enjoying this. Benedict Cumberbatch's performance feels like a genuinely new take on the character, which is wonderful. i think it's that he's a bit more of a sadist than previous screen incarnations.

< Message edited by bad hat harry -- 8/8/2010 11:32:18 PM >

I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.”
— Woody Allen

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 118
RE: Sherlock - 8/8/2010 11:33:45 PM   
adambatman82

Graham Norton is actually trending on Twitter over the comparisons between him and the guy who played Moriarty. In spite of my own feelings (I agree with the comparison), I really hope that this doesn't overshadows a great show, and great finale.

Post #: 119
RE: Sherlock - 8/8/2010 11:40:24 PM   
elab49

I've seen the actor in a couple of things recently so I didn't really see any resemblance tbh. I'm trying to work out who he does remind me of - I spent most of Dead Bodies (awful film) doing the same thing.

quote:

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Sherlock Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI