Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Sherlock

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Sherlock Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sherlock - 27/7/2010 12:31:35 AM   
musht

Did anyone else feel the music was complete rip off of the richie movie it was nagging at me throughout the whole thing, also i felt the sponsorship thing seemed a tad too convenient, why would Moriarty sponsor a dying cabbie to kill random people, what's in it for him, it really annoyed me. But maybe they'll explain that later, i hope so. apart from that i thought it was very good

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 61
RE: Sherlock - 27/7/2010 4:49:05 AM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

Did anyone else feel the music was complete rip off of the richie movie it was nagging at me throughout the whole thing, also i felt the sponsorship thing seemed a tad too convenient, why would Moriarty sponsor a dying cabbie to kill random people, what's in it for him, it really annoyed me. But maybe they'll explain that later, i hope so. apart from that i thought it was very good

He sponsored the murders to attract Holmes' attention, is how I took it.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 62
RE: Sherlock - 27/7/2010 8:20:23 AM   
From_Hell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

Ditto. I read that the same way.

I watched this last night and despite being a bit sceptical, I was well impressed. The two leads had a good rapport, Freeman was especially good, and I particularly liked the investigation scene where you saw what Holmes was thinking appear on the screen. The 'revelation' at the end with Moriarty was rather predictable but I'm looking forward to seeing how this is played out in the next two parts.

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 63
RE: Sherlock - 27/7/2010 10:13:18 AM   
elab49

quote:

IMO Ritchie's 'movie' was utter dross that that nothing to do with Sherlock Holmes.

So in that sense that this sparkling, witty TV program with a clear understanding, respect and presentation of the characters had bog all to do with the silly film which may have been called SH but just treated it as a name.

I loved this storyline. Because you can think so much more round it - as a cabbie, had Davis come across Moriarty et al before? He must have displayed some kind of predilection for his task because the man clearly relished what he was doing - beating death, cheating others. Killing. Like calls to like. You look at the chat he had with Holmes and you realise the previous victims were those that were hooked by his chat, drawn in further until the final game. And Davis was superb in providing a character that convinced us he could do that. And although he had a certain mad belief in his own luck the sane part was telling him it couldn't last - so it was also entirely credible that he'd go straight to the person looking for him and take him on, without care of the consequence. It was really well written and thought out IMO.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 64
RE: Sherlock - 27/7/2010 12:19:34 PM   
demoncleaner

I hope the organisation is elaborated on.  It’s a great framing device for an origin story and makes me think of the League of Shawdows in Batman Begins.  Even though that wasn’t developed in Batman its still a neat device. Chiefly because you have to explain in someway how and why there are more and more master criminals popping up in London to provide sufficient challenge for Holmes and Watson.   With the idea of an organisation and sponsorship you have the promise of a whole raft of varying mysteries, a sense of commonality in the villains with a diminished option of conicidence.   More than that however, I like the idea of murder as gamesmanship.  No crimes of passion.  No revenge bids.  No crimes for profit.  Moriarty might be a bit partial to the odd world domination scheme but it would be cool if they used the early uncertain days of Sherlock as a gambit to recruit Holmes. I think although Davis’ character has bountiful reason to be bitter but he wouldn’t consider murder unless he was was being sponsored.  I also didn’t think it was luck and supposed that both pills were bad and he would have a 3rd – antidote.  His shooting avoiding the reveal of that cliché and keeping all possibilities alive. On another note I would like to think though that the telling line “people don’t think” is representative of the bad guys agenda.   All the smart people in the world playing mortal chess with each other.  Moffat and Gatiss sending a wry warning to TV entertainment’s decline into a trend of dumbing down?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 65
RE: Sherlock - 27/7/2010 12:33:29 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

quote:

Did anyone else feel the music was complete rip off of the richie movie it was nagging at me throughout the whole thing,

David Arnold said this on twitter:

quote:

just in case u wonder, a lot of the music in tonights Sherlock was written for the pilot in Feb 2009 ,7 months before the hollywood sherlock

quote:

re written for the 90 minute version,but using the same tunes and instrumentation.sometimes these ideas are just in the ethers

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 66
RE: Sherlock - 27/7/2010 12:54:36 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: demoncleaner

I also didn't think it was luck and supposed that both pills were bad and he would have a 3rd – antidote. 

I'm going to rewatch but I don't think it played that way. Davis revelled in his luck, a kind of madness thinking he was entitled to it. That didn't seem to fit with cheating of any kind.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 67
RE: Sherlock - 27/7/2010 12:58:57 PM   
musht

That's mad bout the music but now its cleared up it won't bother me so much

quote:

this makes sense although it seems like they couldn't think of another way to fit Moriarty in with just three episodes but i'll wait to see how it pans out before i go dissing their use of Moriarty.

quote:

IMO Ritchie's 'movie' was utter dross that that nothing to do with Sherlock Holmes.

I really only got into Holmes because of the Richie movie but am now over half way through the complete collection i have to admit the Richie movie wasn't a fantastic adaption although i still find it thoroughly enjoyable it just doesn't sit right, for one thing RDJ is too short. But let's not corrupt this thread with talk of the Richie movie, this BBC adaptation is shaping up nicely

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Lazy wolf eyes)
Post #: 68
RE: Sherlock - 27/7/2010 5:40:12 PM   
Toby Monroe

I really enjoyed this. Which surprised me. Compared to the gentle pacing of Lewis, which I love, this was positively vivace. Not sure about him being refered to as Sherlock though. It's too informal, and doesn't sit right with his somewhat aloof nature. He doesn't deserve the cordiality. That's my only gripe though.

Garrow's Law and this, Mr Graves knows how to pick'em.

Fit or Fugly score: 3/10

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 69
RE: Sherlock - 27/7/2010 10:41:34 PM   
sanchia

It turned out to be quite an enjoyable show. I am glad the focus is on the Watson role rather than the Sherlock role as I find the latter a little bit underwritten and the performance a little bit slight for my taste.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Toby Monroe)
Post #: 70
RE: Sherlock - 28/7/2010 7:46:51 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

Did anyone else feel the music was complete rip off of the richie movie it was nagging at me throughout the whole thing

I was thinking the exact thing. Disconcerting how similar it was at times, but I guess that just must be how composers think a Holmes story should sound like

Highly enjoyable show, just a shame that Davis was only in it for one episode.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 71
RE: Sherlock - 28/7/2010 9:03:06 AM   
Twisted Kitty

Watched this last night on catch up.  Bloody brilliant.  Got to be honest, I didnt think I'd enjoy a modern day Sherlock but oh so wrong.  Absolutely loved Cumberbatch.  Cant wait to watch the rest of the series and hope the rest is as enjoyable as the first episode.

"I have a terrible headache, and a sudden craving for chicken wings"

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 72
RE: Sherlock - 28/7/2010 10:21:15 PM   
El Becks

Thoroughly enoyed this show! Thought Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman were excellent in their respective roles, and their chemistry was great; I could really see how Holmes would inspire such loyalty and respect from Watson in such a short space of time!

I really liked the use of the texts, and the words on the screen as Holmes pieced together evidence. The script and acting were clever and witty, the gothic feel of the modern day setting well done, and the pace of the action and dialogue just right!

Only weakness for me was the denouement of the crime; bit underwhelming, I felt, even though I love Phil Davis normally. The scene with Cumberbatch and Freeman at the end, though, had the show finish on a high again.

I will certainly be watching the rest of the series; shame it's only got a short run.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

(in reply to Twisted Kitty)
Post #: 73
RE: Sherlock - 28/7/2010 11:44:34 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Becks

I will certainly be watching the rest of the series; shame it's only got a short run.

Well, they're 90 minute episodes, so it's the same as a 6 episode run you'd normally get in UK TV really.

(in reply to El Becks)
Post #: 74
RE: Sherlock - 29/7/2010 4:03:24 PM   
sharkboy

And we've already got a BD release date of 30 August

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 75
RE: Sherlock - 29/7/2010 4:19:23 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

Niiiiice. Glad we won't be waiting long for it, anyway. 

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 76
RE: Sherlock - 29/7/2010 6:20:38 PM   
thepluginbaby

Loved this adaptation of Holmes and I agree miles better than Guy Ritchie's movie. Love how they've made Holmes modern, all tech savy on his iphone. I am a big Moffat fan though and an even bigger Doctor Who fan. And the two characters feel very similar in representation. Almost see Cumberbatch as an older version of Matt Smith, and apparently he was originally approached to play the doctor after Tennant but didn't want his face over lunchboxes.

Will be watching next week without fail.

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair

(in reply to Lazy wolf eyes)
Post #: 77
RE: Sherlock - 29/7/2010 9:29:42 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: thepluginbaby

Almost see Cumberbatch as an older version of Matt Smith, and apparently he was originally approached to play the doctor after Tennant but didn't want his face over lunchboxes.

Yeah that story's been doing the rounds lately, but I don't find it plausible personally - Smith auditioned for Watson the week before he tried out for Doctor Who, so Cumberbatch must have already been cast as Sherlock.

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 78
RE: Sherlock - 30/7/2010 1:06:31 AM   
chilipenguin

I could easily see Cumberbatch as the 11th Doctor as he seems to have the same sort of presence as Matt Smith. Smith's got the edge though.

Thought this first episode was great and it's really refreshing to see Holmes treated as a 'freak' by the police. Very indicative of today's police force whom I doubt would be particularly happy being bailed out by a contractor.

Anyone know if there are plans to do more after this three episode run?

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

New short story/portfolio blog online HERE

Post #: 79
RE: Sherlock - 30/7/2010 3:03:55 AM   
demoncleaner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: thepluginbaby

Almost see Cumberbatch as an older version of Matt Smith, and apparently he was originally approached to play the doctor after Tennant but didn't want his face over lunchboxes.

Yeah that story's been doing the rounds lately, but I don't find it plausible personally - Smith auditioned for Watson the week before he tried out for Doctor Who, so Cumberbatch must have already been cast as Sherlock.

Yeah, my blood's been boiling over that tittle tattle.  Cummerbatch turned down Doctor Who after speaking to David Tennant, and he decided he didn't want to be on lunchboxes.  I think the truth is Cummerbatch turned down the opportunity to audition for the Doctor.  I know the spread of that gossip has nothing to do with BM but I want to punch his smug Holmesian face in when I see his photo printed next to that gubbins.  Cummerbatch wishes he was Matt Smith.   Sherlock Holmes wishes he was the Doctor.  I also read tonight the thing about Matt Smith auditioning for Watson which I feel is uncreditable since my hysteric belief is that the laws of physics won't alllow Matt Smith to fail an audition.

ShortList magazine also idly throws out the idea of Cummerbatch taking a role in future Doctor Who.  Could he be an opposing Moriarty to the Doctor?  Hope not.  I stilll think of him as the paedophile in Atonement and that nerdy bloke in the wheelchair.

Is Matt Smith going to step down after next year's DW? Again, I hope that's a lot of desperate, profit-seeking ink on the part of the tabloids.  Bastards.

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 30/7/2010 3:04:51 AM >

Post #: 80
RE: Sherlock - 30/7/2010 9:37:59 AM   
elab49

I'd thoroughly recommend Cumberbatch in the radio series Cabin Pressure (with Roger Allam) - amazingly funny stuff. And To the Ends of the Earth, which on DVD is a little easier to get.

I think we just hope and remember that they said the thing about Tennant from mid way through his first year as well.

SPOILERS AS THIS IS DR WHO AND THIS IS NOT THE DR WHO THREAD

I think the rumour is there solely because they expect River to kill someone next year and even though the Angels ep, IMO, contradicted the possibility it was the Dr, a lot of people think it will be.

Cumberbatch does appear to have said he will have a role in a couple of Dr Who epis next year - NOT as the Dr.

END OF SPOILERS FOR DIFFERENT SHOW

quote:

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 81
RE: Sherlock - 30/7/2010 10:13:27 AM   
Sinatra

quote:

Did anyone else feel the music was complete rip off of the richie movie

Yeah it was, but I was glad... that's one of the things I liked most about the film.

quote:

Exactly...
I'm a huge Sherlock Holmes fan and I loved every minute of it.
The text idea, the music, plot, script and perfect peformaces.
Best thing the BBC have done since The Office and so much better than the latest Dr Who.

Both have said they will do more epsiodes as soon as Moffat has time to write them. Wont be until late next year or even 2012 though.

< Message edited by Sinatra -- 30/7/2010 10:22:29 AM >

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 82
RE: Sherlock - 30/7/2010 1:08:17 PM   
jamesheath91

Just watched it and thought it was fantastic.

I thought the Watson character was very true to the books. That bit in the taxi where Sherlock explains how he managed to deduce all that information and Watson replies with "That was amazing." Very well done and really gave me a character to relate to in the story.

I thought the modern setting was great and liked all the little nods to how times have changed. Such as Harry being short for Harriet on the back of the phone. Or where Sherlock figures out that Anderson and Donovan (wooden actress) were having an affair. "She must have polished your floor as well judging by the state of her knees."

I liked the text on screen letting us know what Sherlock was thinking. All of it seemed very good.

Thoroughly looking forward to more.

I read somewhere that the BBC were taking these three episodes as a sort of pilot to see if people liked it and then they would decide whether or not to give a proper 13 episode run a la Doctor Who. Personally I don't think 45 minutes would be enough for a decent length story. I'd just like more 90 minute episodes every few months.

Tell it to the cleaning lady on monday.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 83
RE: Sherlock - 30/7/2010 2:06:56 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twisted Kitty

Watched this last night on catch up.  Bloody brilliant.  Got to be honest, I didnt think I'd enjoy a modern day Sherlock but oh so wrong.  Absolutely loved Cumberbatch.  Cant wait to watch the rest of the series and hope the rest is as enjoyable as the first episode.

This had kind of by passed my radar as I assumed it was some period thingy and wasn't in the mood for that.  However Kitty's post made me give it a go and I BLOODY LOVED IT!!  

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Twisted Kitty)
Post #: 84
RE: Sherlock - 1/8/2010 8:57:38 PM   
Base

AHHH, Bastards!!!!! When was it moved to 2030!?!?!?!?!?!?

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 85
RE: Sherlock - 1/8/2010 9:12:26 PM   
MarcE

I really liked the first one, good choices for Holmes and Watson. Quite enjoying the second one so far. Makes a change from a lot of dire drama on TV. 

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 86
RE: Sherlock - 1/8/2010 9:20:02 PM   
Peppermint

quote:

ORIGINAL: Base

Well, they've beem advertising the time change all week

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 87
RE: Sherlock - 1/8/2010 10:19:47 PM   
sanchia

I didn't enjoy this episode as much the first one. It is difficult to define why but I think it is because there was more focus on Sherlock and I am not really finding that character as interesting as the Watson character.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 88
RE: Sherlock - 1/8/2010 10:27:06 PM   
Base

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peppermint

quote:

ORIGINAL: Base

Well, they've beem advertising the time change all week

I don't watch anywhere near enough TV to catch ads!! I checked the freeview listings earlier and it still said 9, my recorder should have changed too but didn't

Oh well, iPlayer time...

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 89
RE: Sherlock - 1/8/2010 10:36:21 PM   
Snowth

I found it a bit disappointing after last week's. I don't think the writer had a great handle on John, he didn't do much besides be surprisingly easy to beat up for a trained soldier. It was a bit too fragmented at the start trying to follow all the different characters including the museum guy who disappeared without a trace anyway, dragged in the middle and only picked up towards the end. Plus I missed Lestrade.

Still, people who have seen it say the third episode is excellent so I'll look forward to that.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Sherlock Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI