Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Sherlock

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Sherlock Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sherlock - 16/2/2012 1:28:23 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: vicandbob

“@Sherlockology: #BenedictCumberbatch 's Frankenstein co-star Johnny Lee Miller has been confirmed to play #Sherlock Holmes in CBS pilot http://t.co/7ok1EucH

So is he still going to be English?

Probably not, I'm thinking.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 571
RE: Sherlock - 22/2/2012 6:32:12 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

Finished watching Season 1 and 2 recently. I don't know how I didn't discover such great television before.

My favourite episode has been the Hounds one, I skimmed abit earlier in this thread and I know a lot of you didn't like it. But with this season focusing on one emotion per episode, love in the first and i'm not quite sure in the last, the fear aspect was to me, the most interesting. Despite the hammy special effects, Sherlock and Watson's interplay was the best here, funny, touching and most of all sharp. I've always felt that Sherlock saw himself superior to Watson, and the lab scene only cemented this fact and thought it was brilliant.

How he faked his suicide, i'm not sure - I like being a passive viewer - but this season's cliff hanger was not as interesting as the first season's. I felt that they were just repeating plot threads. I know that an aspect of every episode is referenced throughout the last one, but a fake death seemed a step too far.

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 572
RE: Sherlock - 22/2/2012 7:01:11 PM   
S. C. Lee

I've never seen this but I might start watching it (on BBC i-player) soon.

Edit: I don't think it's on there anymore, I've ordered the first series from Amazon (only a fiver.)

< Message edited by S. C. Lee -- 22/2/2012 7:07:19 PM >

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 573
RE: Sherlock - 22/2/2012 7:16:01 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sumintelligentguy

a fake death seemed a step too far.

Difficult to avoid with them following the original stories though.

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 574
RE: Sherlock - 22/2/2012 7:40:49 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sumintelligentguy

a fake death seemed a step too far.

Difficult to avoid with them following the original stories though.

True (though I haven't read any of the Sherlock stories). But then Adler shouldn't have faked her own death. It's the repetition i'm more annoyed with.

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 575
RE: Sherlock - 23/2/2012 5:44:42 PM   
Fincher

I have just seen the first episode of series 2 and wondering why are Mycroft and Watson working together?

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 576
RE: Sherlock - 25/2/2012 4:52:20 PM   
Fincher

Ah never mind I remember now.

Just saw the ending of S2. Can't wait to S3!

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 577
RE: Sherlock - 28/2/2012 8:49:34 AM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

didn't he use the gas from the hound episode, so they all didn't see what they thought? Then some other things or something?

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to Fincher)
Post #: 578
RE: Sherlock - 28/2/2012 12:11:25 PM   
vicandbob

Lucy Liu as watson for Elmentry..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2107487/Lucy-Liu-plays-Sherlock-Holmes-sidekick-opposite-Jonny-Lee-Miller.html

(in reply to Kilo_T_Mortal)
Post #: 579
RE: Sherlock - 3/3/2012 2:33:36 PM   
spark1

expect new villains in s3-

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-03-01/steven-moffat-expect-new-sherlock-villains

Post #: 580
RE: Sherlock - 16/3/2012 12:59:39 AM   
S. C. Lee

Balls

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/2012/03/next-series-of-bbcs-sherlock-t.html

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 581
RE: Sherlock - 16/3/2012 10:30:12 AM   
spark1

gattis on s3-

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s129/sherlock/news/a371386/sherlock-exec-mark-gatiss-fall-reveal-will-be-worth-the-wait.html

(in reply to S. C. Lee)
Post #: 582
RE: Sherlock - 18/3/2012 1:51:54 PM   
S. C. Lee

It’s a mystery worthy of Sherlock himself. First of all, I don’t think he jumped (that would be illogical Jim), so the question is, how did he fake his own death?

Edit: After reading your theories maybe he did jump, landing in the truck, I don't get how the shooter didn't see this though.

Molly has something to do with it, she’s the only friend Moriarty didn’t think of / know about (Sherlock’s equal has to be dead! Surely! He shot himself.)

Edit: Once again maybe the bullet went through his cheek. You're a clever lot.

It’s possible they’re all acting, Watson, Mrs Hudson etc… Molly might have told them about Sherlock’s plan. But I doubt it, their reactions have to be believable in the detective’s eyes.

I think (taking everyone else's theories into account), Sherlock landed in the truck, the Watson / bike clash provided a distraction for the shooter. Sherlock threw a dead body - dressed as himself onto the road (which Molly provided.) Case solved? Probably not.

< Message edited by S. C. Lee -- 18/3/2012 3:09:58 PM >

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 583
RE: Sherlock - 18/3/2012 1:55:53 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: S. C. Lee

Balls

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/2012/03/next-series-of-bbcs-sherlock-t.html

Annoying but it makes sense given that both stars are in The Hobbit and will have to do the press circuit. And Cumberbatch now also doing Star Trek

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to S. C. Lee)
Post #: 584
RE: Sherlock - 21/3/2012 1:53:08 PM   
S. C. Lee

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/17453924

I don't wanna turn into the link king but this is interesting. Moffat is annoyed about the American version - I'm not surprised, Lucy Liu as Watson, has the world gone mad?

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 585
RE: Sherlock - 21/3/2012 5:46:08 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

quote:

ORIGINAL: S. C. Lee

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/17453924

I don't wanna turn into the link king but this is interesting. Moffat is annoyed about the American version - I'm not surprised, Lucy Liu as Watson, has the world gone mad?

Oh, Moffat. Love Sherlock, and his take on Doctor Who. But I really dislike him any time he speaks. There's just a real smugness to him. Who cares if the US are doing a modern version of Sherlock?

(in reply to S. C. Lee)
Post #: 586
RE: Sherlock - 4/4/2012 12:51:30 PM   
spark1

gatiss defends the s1 pilot in bbc4 interview-

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-04-03/mark-gatiss-i'm-proud-of-binned-sherlock-pilot

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 587
RE: Sherlock - 4/4/2012 12:56:21 PM   
st3veebee

Late 2013, maybe even 2014? Sodding hell. It might not bother me as much if they had made more bloody episode rather than this 3 episode a series nonsense.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 588
RE: Sherlock - 4/5/2012 10:31:34 AM   
spark1

gatiss teases s3 and the 'adventure of the empty house'-

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s129/sherlock/news/a379762/sherlock-series-three-details-revealed-by-mark-gatiss.html

< Message edited by spark1 -- 4/5/2012 10:46:28 AM >

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 589
RE: Sherlock - 4/5/2012 11:56:58 AM   
elab49

Aka Gatiss states the obvious about what the first story of the new series has to be based on - and adds pretty much nothing else.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 590
RE: Sherlock - 4/5/2012 1:48:10 PM   
spark1

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Aka Gatiss states the obvious about what the first story of the new series has to be based on - and adds pretty much nothing else.

said it was a tease.

'sherlock' q and a at -

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-05-04/benedict-cumberbatch-there's-room-enough-for-two-sherlocks,-so-why-not-three

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 591
RE: Sherlock - 15/5/2012 1:28:12 PM   
spark1

bits about show in the US -

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/23887/-sherlock-loses-8-mins-an-episode

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s129/sherlock/news/a381656/sherlock-mycroft-relationship-will-remain-a-mystery-says-mark-gatiss.html

Post #: 592
RE: Sherlock - 16/5/2012 11:36:56 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: vicandbob

“@Sherlockology: #BenedictCumberbatch 's Frankenstein co-star Johnny Lee Miller has been confirmed to play #Sherlock Holmes in CBS pilot http://t.co/7ok1EucH

So is he still going to be English?

Probably not, I'm thinking.

Shockingly, he is English click

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 593
RE: Sherlock - 17/5/2012 9:56:15 AM   
impqueen

The reaction to the Elementary preview online is both hysterically funny and frightening; so much hate, anger and racism/sexism.

< Message edited by impqueen -- 17/5/2012 10:00:22 AM >

Yes, always.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 594
RE: Sherlock - 18/9/2012 2:02:10 PM   
vad3r

WHAT IS A CUMBERBATCH:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnWnUFf5hD8

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 595
RE: Sherlock - 18/9/2012 2:46:23 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

The reaction to the Elementary preview online is both hysterically funny and frightening; so much hate, anger and racism/sexism.

Ugh - I've not read anything but that sounds horribly predictable. And yet there's so much to actually comment on about the pilot without being an unpleasant dick.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 596
RE: Sherlock - 18/9/2012 4:34:47 PM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

Ugh - I've not read anything but that sounds horribly predictable. And yet there's so much to actually comment on about the pilot without being an unpleasant dick.

It was/is horribly predictable and from what I've read the Pilot is weak enough without having to as you say, be an unpleasant dick.

Yes, always.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 597
RE: Sherlock - 1/2/2013 11:04:48 AM   
Vadersville

Just caught up with watching the entire two series in a few days after being put off for a long time. I have to say i rather enjoyed A Study in Pink and that spurred me on to watch the rest but sadly, whilst enjoyable it never seemed to reach the potential I saw in that first episode.

As a reader of the books one thing that really bugged me was how stupid they made out Watson to be. apart from the odd chance observation here and there he really brings nothing to the table which is a shame as well because Freeman does make him really affable but come on! I thought that the caricature bungling Watson had been dismissed now and that everyone realised that the character is meant to be a competent detective and brilliant doctor, the perfect foil for Sherlock, but despite the set up in the first episode of his medical skills, Watson never reveals anything that Sherlock hasn't already noticed when he "very briefly" examines the bodies. You never really get a sense of why these two characters stick together or need each other. Which, I have to say, the RDJ and JL films handle rather well, even if they do bring in the "married couple" overtones firmly into the foreground (But hey, the series has to repeatedly remark on how everyone thinks they are a couple).

That said I do like the way that many aspects of the stories have been modernised (some more successfully than others). Watson's pocketwatch becoming a mobile phone, etc. One thing that threw me at first was the dismissal of Watson's injury as psychosomatic and the reveal that it was from being shot in the shoulder not the leg. But apparently this is an allusion to a continuity error in one of the short stories. That's pretty clever. The set-up of Gatiis as Moriarity only to later be revealed as Mycroft was a fantastic twist (one of the few I didn't see coming, which made it all the more enjoyable) but again that's tghe best it gets with the character never really finding his feet or purpose in the series.

Sherlock is good, don't get me wrong, but quite often I felt infuriated with its handling of the characters. So much attention it seems as been placed on cleverly updating the original stories that somehow the characters have been missed out of the equation. I recently noted that A Game of Shadows felt like Sherlock Holmes by way of James Bond (particularly Thunderball), a surprisingly good fit. Here it seems the series is going for Sherlock by way of Doctor Who. I know, an obvious observation, given the writers, but it does have NewWho stamped all over it. A quick glance of the online fan base will tell you immediately that the majority of Sherlock fans also like Doctor Who (not an insult I too like DW) and this has definitley been catered to appeal to them. I'm sounding really negative here and I should point out I really like the casting of Cumberbatch, Freeman and Gatiss, all great choices for the roles but the scripts never give them the meat of the characters and often ask them to make odd choices and remarks in order ot fit better into the DW mould they've crafted out (he even has a scarf and the hero long coat!). Watson is dumbed down and even the spark of an action man we saw in ASiP is rarely glimsed again. There are (embarassing) references to him as a ladies man in Series Two but nothing of his other virtues or vices. (Speaking of vices, I rather liked the allusion of Sherlock's drug habit when the flat was raided in ASiP but after that its traded for a whimsical Nicotine addiction.) Mycroft, as I said before, doesn't really serve much purpose, despite his increased role. Also, despite supposedly being more intelligent than even Holmes comes across as rather slow. The supporting characters all seem to have been dumbed down to make Holmes appear even more special.

The character I have the most issue with is Moriarity. Unlike the others, the Andrew Scott is horribly miscast in the role which is written like a common delusional psychotic serial killer rather than the crinimal mastermind he's supposed to be. It's also never clear, exactly what he wants. In the Great Game it appears that Moriarity is using the game with the bomb hostages to distract him from solving the seemingly pboring case involving the missle plans, but then when Sherlock offers them to him, he casually tosses them in the pool, uninterested. So... what did he want? To pit himself against Sherlock? Well, then he decides that Sherlock has toi die for getting too close. Now hang on, this fits with the previous two episodes where anyone associated with him that could link him to the case had to be killed but he's just gone and revealed himself to Sherlock willing. heck, if he hadn't have set the mobile phone in the first place, Sherlock would still be waiting for the next clue to who ro what Moriarity is! It doesn't get any better in Series Two either when it seems that Moriarity became obsessed with Sherlock when Mycroft told him tales of his brother during interrogations in order to get him to open up and then, knowing full well of the danger, turned him loose. Smart. Whilst Moriarity's plan to advertise his Key program and destroy Sherlock's reputation is interesting to watch unfold in The Reichenbach Fall. the "final" confrontation atop the hospital roof falls flat on its face when they have Morairity shoot himself for little more than shock effect. The series' Moriarity it seems is so desperate to triumph over his only rival he kills himself. Right. Well now they've ruined Sherlock's most significant villian perhaps, having killed him off, we can expect something better, since bizzarely the episodes I've enjoyed the most have been the ones to NOT feature Moriarity.

Overall, I have to say I prefer the films. Whilst the series has gone to great lengths to be faithful to the stories of the books, with some direct adaptations, the films better capture the characters and friendship between Sherlock and Watson. I can still enjoy the series and look forward to the next (although I expect nothing but disappointed by the reveal of HOW he faked his death) , I hope that now they've gotten their version of Morairity out of their system they will focius more on the relationship between Sherlock and Watson and give Watson something to do other than just the shopping.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 598
RE: Sherlock - 1/2/2013 11:17:17 AM   
elab49

I think there's a bit of confusion between casting Scott and the writing of the character (I don't mean you're confused specifically, it's just most of the criticisms I've read seem to be focussed on how Moriarty is played but, I'm assuming, that's not really down to Scott?) Irrespective of this role, outside of it I've seen some pretty good performances so I'm guessing if Moffat had changed Moriarty, that's what would make the difference. Also, I think the Who links are more a reflection of how much of the Doctor is really based on Holmes, not the other way round. The style of writing from the same writers is inevitable, but it's still a good fit.

I do agree about Study in Pink - it remains my favourite episode and I don't think any of the others have matched bit. But I don't agree on the characters - I don't even regard the Ritchie films as Holmes because the characterisation is utter bobbins and just a standard buddy movie with over-reaching names attached, which pissed me off mightily (it might have been more tolerable if they didn't bore the backside off me as well).  I particularly don't agree on Watson - this, and Ian Hart's, have been two of my favourite Watson's recently (or at all). I think the writers have established a clear relationship, and haven't diminished Watson's intelligence at all.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 1/2/2013 11:18:18 AM >

quote:

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 599
RE: Sherlock - 1/2/2013 11:29:58 AM   
AxlReznor

Season One and Two both seem to have great first episodes, that are followed by two others that are merely good. As such, A Study In Pink and A Scandal In Belgravia are my favourite episodes of the series.
I think they intentionally changed Moriarty to make him different to how he's previously been portrayed, but he really just annoyed me. I agree though that the casting of Cumberbatch, Freeman and Gatiss is brilliant.

I do prefer the Ritchie movies, though. The chemistry between Downey Jr. and Law is just as good as between Cumberbatch and Freeman, but I just prefer the stories in the movies. Now if Sherlock was all as good as the episodes opening each series, that would possibly change.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 600
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Sherlock Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI