Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Sherlock

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Sherlock Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sherlock - 23/7/2010 9:37:04 AM   
HIM

I will be watching this. I loved the BBC's adaptation of Casanova, starring the future Dr Who David Tennant and also their recent series about the pre-Raphaelites, whose name escapes me. In fact, I think I missed the final episode of that too. Is it available on DVD?

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 31
RE: Sherlock - 23/7/2010 10:04:41 AM   
elab49

I wouldn't really put it in the same category of writing quality, but Desperate Romantics does have a DVD release. Looks like it's had a recent price reduction as well.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 32
RE: Sherlock - 23/7/2010 4:09:22 PM   
Jeffrey

I saw them filming a scene for this a while ago. They had a part of Newport redressed to double for Chinatown.
In between takes, people managed to get autographs and photographs taken with Martin Freeman. Nobody bothered the other guy playing Sherlock. LOL

Wong Kar-wai News:

http://wongkarwainews.wordpress.com/

Wrestling gifs tumblr:

http://ilovewrestlinggifs.tumblr.com/

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 33
RE: Sherlock - 23/7/2010 6:30:25 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lazy wolf eyes

My guess would be that it would be far more costly to set it in the Victorian era and perhaps it was easier to get it commissioned if set in modern times.

The BBC have done period adaptations of Holmes relatively recently as well - I'd say giving it a new spin is more of a factor for them than cost.

Everyone probably remembers how mundane their adaptation of Hound of the Baskervilles was a few years ago.

Somehow Guy Richie's Holmes felt modern, while being set in Victorian times, so this could work. The problem will be if they are using new stories rather than the old Holmes stories. You could imagine updating most of the stories and them still working. Okay there might not be so many impressive mutton chops and beards in the League of the Red Headed gentlemen right now, but it could still work.

I'll not get my hopes up though. The quintessential Holmes for me is one who gets in a horse-drawn cab and raps on the roof with his stick to give the driver instructions. Hopping in the back of a mini-cab and having some guy put in an address in his TomTom just doesn't seem the same.

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 34
RE: Sherlock - 23/7/2010 9:13:36 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lazy wolf eyes

My guess would be that it would be far more costly to set it in the Victorian era and perhaps it was easier to get it commissioned if set in modern times.

The BBC have done period adaptations of Holmes relatively recently as well - I'd say giving it a new spin is more of a factor for them than cost.

You're probably right, I was thinking earlier that perhaps Mark was maybe saving the period setting for an adaptation of his Lucifer Box novels - I know the BBC were thinking of adapting it a few years ago.

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.

Post #: 35
RE: Sherlock - 24/7/2010 3:50:27 AM   
Dirty Hartigan

A couple of tie-in websites for the series have appeared:

Sherlock's The Science of Deduction:

http://www.thescienceofdeduction.co.uk/

John's Blog:
http://www.johnwatsonblog.co.uk/

(in reply to Lazy wolf eyes)
Post #: 36
RE: Sherlock - 25/7/2010 10:46:23 PM   
kathryn2

So who else watched this?

I thought it was bloody brilliant, myself. The modern feel really really worked, the clues were all there (in retrospect), and it was a good intro to Holmes as a character.

I'm really looking forward to more!

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 37
RE: Sherlock - 25/7/2010 10:50:55 PM   
elab49

Brilliant. Thoroughly enjoyed it. The 3 main characters very well drawn and a strong first story that felt a lot more Moffat than Gatiss.

Only negative - the woman playing the sergeant is a weak actress. The dialogue is fine - but she's quite poor.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to kathryn2)
Post #: 38
RE: Sherlock - 25/7/2010 10:54:12 PM   
Harry Lime

Anybody watch this tonight then? I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was really pacy, had plenty of humour and it managed to maintain the gothic air of old London despite the modern setting. Benedict Cumberbatch was pretty much perfect in the lead role, Freeman made a great foil as Watson and it was fantastic to see the great Phil Davis on the screen too.

Great little twist at the end as well. I'll definitely be watching again next week.

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

Post #: 39
RE: Sherlock - 25/7/2010 11:00:18 PM   
paul_ie86

Cumberbatch reminded me of Matt Smith.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 40
RE: Sherlock - 25/7/2010 11:00:38 PM   
Scruffybobby

SPOILERS

Very enjoyable start. Cumberbatch was full of energy as Holmes and clearly enjoyed being the smartest guy in the room with a nice streak of darkness(although he maybe seemed a bit Who like at times probably Moffat's influence). Freeman was decent value as Watson as well. He brought a nice bit of coldness in his reaction to having shot the bad guy. Nice bit of misdirection with Mark Gatiss, they were definitely going for a Moriarty vibe there. Lokking forward to next week.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 41
RE: Sherlock - 25/7/2010 11:04:47 PM   
Felix

Thought it was brilliant, Cumberbatch was great but was even more impressed by Martin Freeman, who'd have thought he'd be so good playing a 'tough' guy.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 42
RE: Sherlock - 25/7/2010 11:22:01 PM   
elab49

When I realised it was Gatiss on the phone I was rather worried what part he'd written himself into - I don't think he's got enough acting power behind him. But he wasn't at all bad - and I too loved the fact you ended the scene not sure whether you'd met Moriarty or Mycroft. I did think of the latter though - having just watched Charles Kay in another show today, I did think he'd be perfect for that kind of role. And as it turned out, modern Mycroft is actually a 'Pendleton'.

-

< Message edited by elab49 -- 25/7/2010 11:23:03 PM >

quote:

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 43
RE: Sherlock - 26/7/2010 3:23:21 AM   
Dirty Hartigan

Absolutely loved this. Cumberbatch is superb in the lead and the updating of the character was excellent. I loved all the nods to the original story and to the canon in general (Watson's migrating war-wound was dealt with adroitly). Thought it was a bit obvious who Gatiss was playing once he showed up in person - but the little meetup at the end was very amusing. Hoping the other two writers can live up to the standard Moffat lays down here, and that they one day have the nerve to leave the character on The Final Problem.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 44
RE: Sherlock - 26/7/2010 9:27:18 AM   
Timon

I really enjoyed it. I thought Cumberbatch was excellent as Holmes and I love the whole 'text clues' on screen showing how his mind works.

Can't wait for the next one.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

Post #: 45
RE: Sherlock - 26/7/2010 9:31:59 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

SPOILERS

(although he maybe seemed a bit Who like at times probably Moffat's influence).

I think it's kind of the other way round. A lot of people think the character of Dr Who isn't a million miles from Sherlock Holmes generally, and Moffat has made the specific connection himself too.

quote:

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 46
RE: Sherlock - 26/7/2010 9:34:17 AM   
clownfoot

That was great. Really good Sunday evening TV. Smart, funny, thrilling and exciting. Looking forward to next weeks episode...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 47
RE: Sherlock - 26/7/2010 11:33:07 AM   
Chief

Seen the trail before Top Gear and decided to give this a watch. Glad I did! Thought it was pretty awesome and can't wait for the next 2 episodes.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 48
RE: Sherlock - 26/7/2010 12:07:06 PM   
Rebenectomy

Really enjoyed this, two leads were excellent and I was pleasantly suprised how well it worked in a modern day setting.

Have to argree with this though...

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
Only negative - the woman playing the sergeant is a weak actress. The dialogue is fine - but she's quite poor.

Very wooden, very poor line delivery. Hopefully she'll improve or be phased out.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 49
RE: Sherlock - 26/7/2010 12:20:42 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

Really enjoyed this, two leads were excellent and I was pleasantly suprised how well it worked in a modern day setting.

Have to argree with this though...

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Very wooden, very poor line delivery. Hopefully she'll improve or be phased out.

Agreed, she was a bit rubbish which was a shame because everyone else was superb. 

Really loved it, fantastic bit of telly.  Nice see Rupert Graves too. Can't wait for next week's episode.

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 50
RE: Sherlock - 26/7/2010 12:23:19 PM   
wombathog

It managed to be far more entertaining than the Guy Ritchie film.  Great stuff, can't wait for the next one - although will there be an obvious dip in quality with different writers and directors?

As well as the dodgy policewoman acting my only other (minor) quibble was the inclusion in almost every scene of a red postbox or phonebox - no doubt to sell overseas as quaintly British or something weird like that.

When can we expect the Daily Mail to do an article on the BBCs hatred of the honest-to-goodness-salt-of-the-earth-cabbie after this and a recent episode of Luther?

'Would you mind dear sir if I asked you a question, If music be the food of love are you the indigestion?'

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 51
RE: Sherlock - 26/7/2010 12:25:28 PM   
paul.mccluskey

I was really surprised by this. Enjoyed the contmeporary setting, and thought Benedict Cumberbatch was a great choice for Holmes. Martin Freeman was also very good as Watson, and the extended cameo by Phil Davis was superb.

Loved the various clues and texts that appeared throughout, that was a brilliant idea. I hadn't thought about Mycroft as I spent the whole time assuming Mark Gatiss was playing Moriarty. I wonder if Sherlock's arch-enemy will make an appearance?

(in reply to Lazy wolf eyes)
Post #: 52
RE: Sherlock - 26/7/2010 12:56:01 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: wombathog

It managed to be far more entertaining than the Guy Ritchie film.  Great stuff, can't wait for the next one - although will there be an obvious dip in quality with different writers and directors?

Well Euros Lynn is pretty reliable on Dr Who (and certainly Children of Earth) and Paul McGuigan is back directing the 3rd.

Writers? I find it odd that someone with apparently no other credits has been trusted with an episode - and I'm not a great fan of Gatiss's work on things like Dr Who, so a wait and hope on those.

quote:

(in reply to wombathog)
Post #: 53
RE: Sherlock - 26/7/2010 1:47:55 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

Not a Dr Who watcher myself so can't comment on Gatiss' writing for that, but if Lucifer Box (clearly influenced by Holmes) is anything to go by, he'll pull it off.  

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 54
RE: Sherlock - 26/7/2010 1:52:18 PM   
demoncleaner

Yeah, I liked this.  I liked that he was decribed as a heightened sociopath.  I liked the piquant notion that if there were no murders he’d probably be committing them out of boredom.  The idea that there’s a sinister league, and I liked the idea of sponsorship.  I also grinned at a line-lift from the last Doctor Who series “Oh, this is Christmas!”

I'm ambivalent whether the modern setting is its crowning jewel or if it represents a missed opportunity to do a really atmospheric period number.  I rue the possibility that they will get invited to a seance via text for instance.
My only real gripe is the fact that they couldn’t just call him Holmes.  Everytime someone said “Sherlock” it sounded like “’ello ducky”.  Cringeworthy. 

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 55
RE: Sherlock - 26/7/2010 2:11:34 PM   
elab49

I kept noticing the forename - I think it comes with the update, sadly.

I agree with Harry's post above though - there was a real old-fashioned feel to the locations used. Building with gothic architecture and staircases, the narrow lanes, and the old squares. Even 221b Baker St inside.

It was really only the classroom at the end that they went for something different.

quote:

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 56
RE: Sherlock - 26/7/2010 8:21:15 PM   
boove

just watched this 'ondemand'. bloody impressed! i have read a couple of the books including the first one and i thought this guy playing sherlock was great. this was so much better than the guy richie effort.

i am almost sad that it was not set in the same time as the books, but it was a great update.

also, can anyone tell me who mycrofts assistant was? quite hot.

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 57
RE: Sherlock - 26/7/2010 8:31:15 PM   
sanchia

For some reason iplayer has decided that Norfolk is no longer a part of the UK so I cannot download it

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to boove)
Post #: 58
RE: Sherlock - 26/7/2010 8:33:29 PM   
elab49

OOoo - you secessionist, you.

Are you now called Delialand?

quote:

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 59
RE: Sherlock - 26/7/2010 9:48:43 PM   
sanchia

The BBC have allowed us to return to the fold

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Sherlock Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI