Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Sherlock

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Sherlock Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sherlock - 22/1/2012 8:53:06 PM   
jobloffski

I'm suggesting that he is totally using cunning, a scientific mind, even: having covered the angles he can so he's ready for whatever happens after he hits the ground, loose ends tied up if he dies, the same, plus a chance for redemption if he lives. I'm not sure I'm even suggesting he hopes he survives, now I think about it, just that he knows there will be an outcome to falling, and the scientist in him is ready to accept whatever the outcome of what he has to do to save the others turns out to be.

The scientist takes a leap of faith, necessitating him going beyond what is known, sensible or reasonable in the eyes of others, ready for however the experiment turns out, because without risk, there is only stagnation of knowledge/experience. You can't get more Sherlocky than that

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 22/1/2012 9:16:23 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 541
RE: Sherlock - 23/1/2012 10:22:10 AM   
Sahara Desert

This has been driving me round the bend, so much so that I've come up with the bare bones of a completely different theory based on Steven Moffat saying we're missing something. There's a mistake in the timeline, to put it bluntly.

Edited: No external linking to own blogs in thread.

< Message edited by Rebenectomy -- 23/1/2012 12:16:31 PM >

@thesaharadesert

Smug Animals

Mine!

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 542
RE: Sherlock - 23/1/2012 11:51:13 AM   
MBeard

I've officially feel in love with this show. Although there is only 6 episodes, it has jumped into my top 5 shows of all time.

I can't wait another 12 months for an episode, so I think I'll revisit all 6 episodes throughout the year and try and build my own theories up!

PM me for Xbox Live Details!

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 543
RE: Sherlock - 23/1/2012 12:08:10 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: MBeard

I've officially feel in love with this show. Although there is only 6 episodes, it has jumped into my top 5 shows of all time.

I can't wait another 12 months for an episode, so I think I'll revisit all 6 episodes throughout the year and try and build my own theories up!

Hopeful much?

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to MBeard)
Post #: 544
RE: Sherlock - 23/1/2012 12:18:54 PM   
spark1

time to move on.

see you when its back in 2013.

molly speaks-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theobserver/2012/jan/22/louise-brealey-molly-sherlock-interview#start-of-comments

damn, this chick is smart.

< Message edited by spark1 -- 23/1/2012 12:23:40 PM >

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 545
RE: Sherlock - 23/1/2012 1:57:03 PM   
MBeard

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

quote:

Hopeful much?

Am I hopeful you mean? Not in the slightest!

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 546
RE: Sherlock - 23/1/2012 2:50:06 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

I admire your convictions but there is no way that Holmes just jumped and hoped to survive. He's too clever for that, too cunning.

Whilst I pretty much agree with your sentiments.... there is one thing I can't get out of my head... It's the way he was falling, it seemed to be a very exact type of method to it, and not one that I would have thought a conventional 'jumper' would have used - i.e head first ... could it be anything to do with what he was wearing? could the coat have been different? was it somehow slowing down his fall in the way it was billowing? I'm probably just imagining it.... knowing Moffat I wouldn't be surprised if the van was a redherring... I am convinced that it was Sherlock jumping... anything else would be a massive cop-out - especially the Mission Impossible style mask thingy, but then the tiny Dr being inside the Dr was a cop out in my opinion... I can't help thinking we're going to be disappointed when the answer is finally revealed.

Here's a thought, what if the writers haven't got an answer yet, they just create a situation, then read all of the crazy theories posted on the net and choose their favourite...!

< Message edited by Sinatra -- 23/1/2012 3:08:31 PM >

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 547
RE: Sherlock - 23/1/2012 2:57:59 PM   
shool

Also he was flailing his arms about which shows it wasnt a dead body dropped from the roof. It was definitely Sherlock that jumped.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 548
RE: Sherlock - 23/1/2012 3:21:44 PM   
MBeard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

quote:

I admire your convictions but there is no way that Holmes just jumped and hoped to survive. He's too clever for that, too cunning.

Whilst I pretty much agree with your sentiments.... there is one thing I can't get out of my head... It's the way he was falling, it seemed to be a very exact type of method to it, and not one that I would have thought a conventional 'jumper' would have used - i.e head first ... could it be anything to do with what he was wearing? could the coat have been different? was it somehow slowing down his fall in the way it was billowing? I'm probably just imagining it.... knowing Moffat I wouldn't be surprised if the van was a redherring... I am convinced that it was Sherlock jumping... anything else would be a massive cop-out - especially the Mission Impossible style mask thingy, but then the tiny Dr being inside the Dr was a cop out in my opinion... I can't help thinking we're going to be disappointed when the answer is finally revealed.

Here's a thought, what if the writers haven't got an answer yet, they just create a situation, then read all of the crazy theories posted on the net and choose their favourite...!

Didn't Moffat say in an interview they have already filmed the scenes with an explanation of how he is still alive? I'm sure I read that.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 549
RE: Sherlock - 23/1/2012 3:22:39 PM   
shool

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

quote:

Didn't Moffat say in an interview they have already filmed the scenes with an explanation of how he is still alive? I'm sure I read that.

Yup it was in the interview link posted above.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to MBeard)
Post #: 550
RE: Sherlock - 24/1/2012 10:35:09 AM   
vicandbob

well after watching the Blu ray last night i cant believe there was no commentary for the Reichenbach fall episode.. crazy!! sooo many questions.

there was an interesting point made by benedict in the commentary for the a scandal in belgravia episode.. sherlock in reading a newspaper that shows a headline about building works being carried out on a famous hospital.. and it shows St. Barts covered in scafolding.. benedict then ask moffat if he can talk about episode 3.. could this have something to do with how sherlock survives his leap?

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 551
RE: Sherlock - 24/1/2012 11:18:53 AM   
paul_ie86

The Blu Ray's out already? That was quick!

I'm sure you all already made this link but I just realised at the weekend that Moffat killed both his leads because they had had gotten too famous. And then resurrected them to do their work in secret.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to vicandbob)
Post #: 552
RE: Sherlock - 24/1/2012 11:24:51 AM   
elab49

Someone mentioned that upthread but forgetting Sherlock did it first more than a century ago

DVD/Blu Ray came out yesterday (if you got it in the shops or, possibly, HMV). If Amazon, you'll still be waiting a couple of days!

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 553
RE: Sherlock - 24/1/2012 11:33:55 AM   
paul_ie86

Oh yeah

It was probably out here last Friday then. For some reason we always seem to get CDs/DVDs/games released the Friday before the UK.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 554
RE: Sherlock - 24/1/2012 11:51:41 AM   
davie_rfc

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but I was under the impression the dead Sherlock was whoever had kidnapped the kids earlier in the episode? He was apparently that much of a doppleganger that the kids thought he was the same guy. How they did the switch had something to do with the garbage truck that pulled away just as Watson got to the scene?

I dont know, it's probably something else entirely....

"This whole festival was put together by twenty third-graders with lots of chutzpah and one panda!"

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 555
RE: Sherlock - 24/1/2012 12:08:24 PM   
vicandbob

Someone mentioned that upthread but forgetting Sherlock did it first more than a century ago

DVD/Blu Ray came out yesterday (if you got it in the shops or, possibly, HMV). If Amazon, you'll still be waiting a couple of days!

nope mine was ordered off amazon.

(in reply to davie_rfc)
Post #: 556
RE: Sherlock - 24/1/2012 1:21:21 PM   
elab49

Interesting - I've just checked and it's only the DVD that's Indigo Starfish. The Blu Ray is Amazon proper, hence the speed. Do they not get the VAT cheat for Blu Rays then?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to vicandbob)
Post #: 557
RE: Sherlock - 24/1/2012 1:31:09 PM   
vicandbob

no sure elab49, I ordered it on friday morning along with a sherlock holmes book.. got email on saturday from amazon saying it was dispatched and when I got into work on monday it was there waiting for me, was in the tradition amazon cardboard packaging as apposed to the indigo jiffy bag.. 20% vat recorded on it to..

one of my big hates about amazon was release dates, you never got them the same day always a few days later.. but the service for this was excellent!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 558
RE: Sherlock - 24/1/2012 1:34:10 PM   
elab49

Amazon proper, for me, are normally really fast - it's Indigo Starfish that's got the few extra days coming from Jersey (so stuff I want on or just before release I use HMV for and it's worked pretty much every time so far). And it's Amazon proper that sent out the Blu Ray. It just seemed odd that the formats were split

quote:

(in reply to vicandbob)
Post #: 559
RE: Sherlock - 24/1/2012 1:38:45 PM   
demoncleaner

I got a dispatch notification from Amazon on 21st.  I opted for 5 day delivery as it's going to my folk's address, I don't know if its arrived yet.  Got series 1 and 2 on BD with a Tinker Tailor pre-order deal.  Series 1 came last week, I watched most of the pilot, couldn't spot any major differences from the aired episode apart from the title sequence and the fact texts didn't appear on screen in that funky way the finished version did.  My memory's a bit hazy but doesn't the first episode have a press conference with Lestrade at the beginning where he's receiving texts from Sherlock? If so, that's a difference...but anyway my point was that even the pilot was pretty polished, very enjoyable looking forward to rewatching the whole six.

(in reply to vicandbob)
Post #: 560
RE: Sherlock - 25/1/2012 1:31:51 PM   
spark1

is that proposed US holmes legal?-

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/22878/-sherlock-legal-issues-a-third-season

< Message edited by spark1 -- 26/1/2012 12:42:02 PM >

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 561
RE: Sherlock - 25/1/2012 1:37:27 PM   
elab49

Is there an echo? 

quote:

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 562
RE: Sherlock - 25/1/2012 3:06:52 PM   
jobloffski

A quote attributed to Moffatt is below. Caveats first, before knee jerk reaction...tone of voice, expression on face, what else was said before and after the words being cut out to end up with a meaty soundbite, all these things being absent when it's just words on a page can affect something that is said and re-characterise what was said as more arrogant than intended.

The quote

"Get used to a bit of starvation. We’re making movies – those six films we’ve made could go in the cinema. You can’t factory produce that – it’s a different kind of show. So, when we’re good and ready – it won’t be that long – but when we’re ready, you’ll get the follow-up"

Knee jerk reaction...

It's good, dude, but it's good TV, with moments that elevate it above that, but certainly not often enough to justify theatrical releases, or you apparently being high enough on your own supply to be talking down to your audience from such a height.

I did say it was good, and I did enjoy it, and I'd like to know the resolution to the mystery that has been set up, but starvation as a result of having to wait a while for it? No.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 25/1/2012 3:29:01 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 563
RE: Sherlock - 27/1/2012 9:26:13 AM   
Alistair81

quote:

"Get used to a bit of starvation. We’re making movies – those six films we’ve made could go in the cinema. You can’t factory produce that – it’s a different kind of show. So, when we’re good and ready – it won’t be that long – but when we’re ready, you’ll get the follow-up"

I just took that to be a reference to the fact the episodes are feature length rather than a 45 minute show.  I certainly wouldn't interpret it as Moffat talking down to anyone.  As you say context is key.  However bearing in mind that of the two series of three episodes the middle episodes of each series have been significantly weaker than the rest I'd rather they took their time to make sure it's all up to standard! 

As an aside and on a wholly different topic I find that I'm not really a fan of Cumberbatch.  Freeman makes this series for me.  Maybe its because they have made Sherlock into such an insufferable pillock! but Freeman papers over all of those cracks so perhaps they have got the balance just right...

"The kid's like... he's like a... have you ever seen a drunk baby? "

"Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like... fuckin'... Shaft. "

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 564
RE: Sherlock - 27/1/2012 1:09:34 PM   
Invader_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alistair81
I find that I'm not really a fan of Cumberbatch... Maybe its because they have made Sherlock into such an insufferable pillock!

They haven't done this.  Conan Doyle did it.  Holmes has always been that way.

(in reply to Alistair81)
Post #: 565
RE: Sherlock - 27/1/2012 3:00:32 PM   
Alistair81

quote:

ORIGINAL: Invader_Ace

Not to the extent he is portrayed in this I think.  As I recall he was always polite whilst being extremely confident in his abilities (bordering on arrogant).  I don't recall him ever being as needlessly spiteful in the books as he is to Molly in this show.  I will concede that it is a while since I read the books.  Perhaps you can point me in the right direction?

"The kid's like... he's like a... have you ever seen a drunk baby? "

"Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like... fuckin'... Shaft. "

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 566
RE: Sherlock - 29/1/2012 10:11:08 PM   
vicandbob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alistair81

quote:

ORIGINAL: Invader_Ace

Not to the extent he is portrayed in this I think.  As I recall he was always polite whilst being extremely confident in his abilities (bordering on arrogant).  I don't recall him ever being as needlessly spiteful in the books as he is to Molly in this show.  I will concede that it is a while since I read the books.  Perhaps you can point me in the right direction?

quote:

in the excellent Jeremy Brett series, he is constantly laughing and sneering at the people asking for his help, looking down at the normal people..

(in reply to Alistair81)
Post #: 567
RE: Sherlock - 14/2/2012 8:55:59 PM   
vicandbob

“@Sherlockology: #BenedictCumberbatch 's Frankenstein co-star Johnny Lee Miller has been confirmed to play #Sherlock Holmes in CBS pilot http://t.co/7ok1EucH

(in reply to vicandbob)
Post #: 568
RE: Sherlock - 14/2/2012 9:30:16 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: vicandbob

“@Sherlockology: #BenedictCumberbatch 's Frankenstein co-star Johnny Lee Miller has been confirmed to play #Sherlock Holmes in CBS pilot http://t.co/7ok1EucH

So is he still going to be English? If so the theme song should definitely be Sting's 'Englishman In New York'.

I like Johnny Lee Miller as a choice, interested to see who they cast as Watson. An English Holmes and an American Watson might work and given that I'm not overly fond of Cumberbastard's take I ma give this a look if it gets a series. There's enough short stories to do a full series of hour length episodes which may also allow for the writers to build up the threat of Moriarty. My mind is definitely open to this idea my only worry would be that given it's American they could drag it out for too long

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to vicandbob)
Post #: 569
RE: Sherlock - 16/2/2012 11:52:14 AM   
spark1

how UK 'sherlock' makers feel about it-

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s129/sherlock/news/a366070/sherlock-exec-comments-on-johnny-lee-miller-elementary-casting.html

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-02-15/sherlocks-benedict-cumberbatch-and-louise-brealey-beat-doctor-who-stars-in-valentines-vote

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 570
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Sherlock Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI