Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Sherlock

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Sherlock Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sherlock - 7/6/2009 6:31:56 PM   
Monkeyshaver

Holmes is back! On the small screen. A 60 minute one off from Steven Moffat and Mark Gattis! Benedict Cumberbatch is playing Holmes & Martin Freeman is Watson. The problem is, this is set in the modern world. How Holmes will work in the age of DNA, forensics etc is problematic for me. Still, worth a look I suppose.

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.
Post #: 1
RE: Sherlock - 7/6/2009 7:08:35 PM   
elab49

Interesting. Moffat of course is a draw - and Cumberbatch is a very good actor (and Freeman broke rather refreshingly out of his normal performance in Boy Meets Girl).

Which channel?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 2
RE: Sherlock - 7/6/2009 7:43:50 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

Mark Gatiss writing?  I'm sold! I always loved his Holmes-inspired Lucifer Box novels. 

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3
RE: Sherlock - 7/6/2009 7:54:03 PM   
Woger

Don't we have House already?

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to Lazy wolf eyes)
Post #: 4
RE: Sherlock - 7/6/2009 8:05:11 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Interesting. Moffat of course is a draw - and Cumberbatch is a very good actor (and Freeman broke rather refreshingly out of his normal performance in Boy Meets Girl).

Which channel?

BBC1. Cumberbatch seems a bit young to play Holmes, but I guess it's a reworking rather than a straight adaptation so it'll work. I was under the impression this was a pilot for a series, if the ratings are good enough.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5
RE: Sherlock - 7/6/2009 8:14:18 PM   
Peppermint

It would also be helpful if Monkeyshaver said when it was going to be on.

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

Post #: 6
RE: Sherlock - 7/6/2009 10:04:23 PM   
elab49

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/dec/22/sherlock-holmes-bbc-moffat-gatiss

I must have missed this with it being so close to Xmas. Or just completely forgot!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 7
RE: Sherlock - 7/6/2009 11:25:23 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

You had me at Gatiss.

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 8
RE: Sherlock - 8/6/2009 11:51:49 AM   
Monkeyshaver

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

BBC1. Cumberbatch seems a bit young to play Holmes, but I guess it's a reworking rather than a straight adaptation so it'll work. I was under the impression this was a pilot for a series, if the ratings are good enough.

Its true that in most of the tv/movie adaptations Holmes has been portrayed as a middle-aged man. But the duo met in 1881 (A Study In Scarlet) & it is generally accepted by fans that Holmes was born in 1854, so he was only 27 when he started his detecting career with Watson!

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 9
RE: Sherlock - 8/6/2009 5:18:39 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monkeyshaver

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

Its true that in most of the tv/movie adaptations Holmes has been portrayed as a middle-aged man. But the duo met in 1881 (A Study In Scarlet) & it is generally accepted by fans that Holmes was born in 1854, so he was only 27 when he started his detecting career with Watson!

I guess life expectancy was lower in those days, so you could argue he really was middle-aged then.

Post #: 10
RE: Sherlock - 8/6/2009 5:21:36 PM   
Timon

Oh him! I remember him from Starter For 10. He could be quite good.

And I reckon Martin Freeman would be a great Watson in comparison. Colour me excited.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

Post #: 11
RE: Sherlock - 14/7/2009 12:35:34 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

A little tidbit of info - the pilot episode is apparently called A Touch of Pink. And the BBC have commissioned three 90 minute episodes to follow on from that.

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/commissioning/bbc1-unveils-new-dramas/5003543.article

< Message edited by Dirty Hartigan -- 15/7/2009 12:48:19 PM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 12
RE: Sherlock - 15/7/2010 4:24:36 PM   
Invader_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: Amelie_Scotland

You had me at Gatiss.

Lost me at "Modern Day Adaption".

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 13
RE: Sherlock - 15/7/2010 6:05:22 PM   
Shifty Bench

Ok, not long to go now, the first episode airs Sunday 26th July. Anyone still looking foward to this? 

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 14
RE: Sherlock - 15/7/2010 7:30:19 PM   
matthewforan

It's funny I heard that they have scratched the show. Is it still coming on the air?

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 15
RE: Sherlock - 15/7/2010 7:33:49 PM   
Shifty Bench

yup- http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s129/sherlock/news/a244465/sherlock-to-play-down-drug-use.html 

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 16
RE: Sherlock - 15/7/2010 7:44:41 PM   
matthewforan

Good looking forward to it. Would be cool if they followed a few of the short stories

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 17
RE: Sherlock - 15/7/2010 7:46:54 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: matthewforan

It's funny I heard that they have scratched the show. Is it still coming on the air?

The trailer has been on a few times recently (or is it part of another general trailer?).

quote:

Post #: 18
RE: Sherlock - 15/7/2010 8:41:37 PM   
demoncleaner

Gattis registered on Twitter as recent as last week.  He tweeted his excitement about this (a screen shot is his background and I actually thought it might be a still from a Lucifer Box adventure). Speaking of which he did say L B would be coming to the screen.  Tom Hardy for Box, that'd be my ideal choice.  Was never much of a Holmes fan, but will be checking this out for the pedigree, chums.

Post #: 19
RE: Sherlock - 16/7/2010 10:50:52 AM   
Blunderbuss

quote:

They scratched the original pilot episode, which will now not air, but kept the following three episodes.  Apparently between recording the pilot and the follow-up episode they made numerous changes to look and feel of the show.  Tweaking the pilot to bring it in-line with the following eps would have been prohibitively expensive so they binned it entirely.

This happens regularly in the US where Pilots are used to test concepts and sell a show to the networks but often never get aired even if a season order is secured because of subsequent recasting and tweaking of the original concept.  Its less common in the UK.

I'll probably give the show a whirl but it concerns me that, considering the people involved, they've decided to air it in the summer, traditionally the TV graveyard of repeats and reality shows.  Suggests a lack of confidence from the Beeb, n'est pas?

"oh you don't want to shoot him. You'll just make him mad"

Post #: 20
RE: Sherlock - 16/7/2010 11:37:36 AM   
Brobe

I saw a few twitter bits from Moffat and Gatiss, having forgotten that this was happening, surprised it's gonna be on so soon as I'd not really seen much about it, however a little search on youtube the other day and someone had posted a 'Pitch' video that had a 2m30 trailer and a 2m30 bit with some talking heads, however I then tried to find it again and it seems to have been taken down confirmed here.

Bow ties are cool.

PSN ID: Paperchris

http://twitter.com/iamchriswright

(in reply to Blunderbuss)
Post #: 21
RE: Sherlock - 16/7/2010 5:28:13 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

The original hour long pilot got scrapped and reshot as a 90 minute version, which is probably where the confusion comes from.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brobe

I saw a few twitter bits from Moffat and Gatiss, having forgotten that this was happening, surprised it's gonna be on so soon as I'd not really seen much about it, however a little search on youtube the other day and someone had posted a 'Pitch' video that had a 2m30 trailer and a 2m30 bit with some talking heads, however I then tried to find it again and it seems to have been taken down confirmed here.

The official trailer is now available (clicky).

(in reply to Brobe)
Post #: 22
RE: Sherlock - 16/7/2010 5:45:23 PM   
elab49

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/tv/2010/wk30/unplaced.shtml#unplaced_sherlock

Starts on the 25th. Be careful clicking - the press pack often has a detailed precis of the epi.

quote:

Post #: 23
RE: Sherlock - 21/7/2010 1:12:58 PM   
spark1

a doubter questions the need for a modern holmes-

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/sherlock-holmes-why-mess-with-the-fabulous-baker-street-boys-2031144.html

Post #: 24
RE: Sherlock - 21/7/2010 8:04:20 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

My guess would be that it would be far more costly to set it in the Victorian era and perhaps it was easier to get it commissioned if set in modern times.

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 25
RE: Sherlock - 21/7/2010 8:19:42 PM   
elab49

Moffat's point in the RT interview is that Conan-Doyle was writing fast-paced detective stories - there was virtually no period detail in his writing. Just the obvious impact of the world he was writing in, but he didn't devote much prose to it. The story was the thing.

quote:

Post #: 26
RE: Sherlock - 22/7/2010 12:00:37 PM   
spark1

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Moffat's point in the RT interview is that Conan-Doyle was writing fast-paced detective stories - there was virtually no period detail in his writing. Just the obvious impact of the world he was writing in, but he didn't devote much prose to it. The story was the thing.

and the game's afoot!

am looking forward to this on sunday.

gattis mentioned in observer that moriarty and that hound will make appearance.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 27
RE: Sherlock - 23/7/2010 2:43:13 AM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lazy wolf eyes

My guess would be that it would be far more costly to set it in the Victorian era and perhaps it was easier to get it commissioned if set in modern times.

The BBC have done period adaptations of Holmes relatively recently as well - I'd say giving it a new spin is more of a factor for them than cost.

Post #: 28
RE: Sherlock - 23/7/2010 8:20:16 AM   
From_Hell

I've seen a couple of trailers for this on BBC and it looks promising. I'll definitely take a look on Sunday.

I take it that this is a new spin and Holmes is 'modern', and there isn't some contrivance whereby a Victorian Holmes is somehow transported to modern times?

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

Post #: 29
RE: Sherlock - 23/7/2010 8:41:28 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Set this to record, seems like it's worth a look.

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Sherlock Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI