Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread Page: <<   < prev  91 92 93 [94] 95   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 23/6/2012 2:27:50 AM   
boaby

Alrighty.

The Modern Family guy was Phil. He was unimpressed by Sam mocking the Rotary Club. What helped assuage the wrath of the Rotarian?

Also, there is yet a-phucking-nother instance of C.J. singing. Season 4 this time. She really does love a sing-song. Clue: does it take 6 hours to travel 90 miles?

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 2791
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 8/7/2012 11:18:26 PM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

Shuttle flies itself, Toby.

No, it doesn’t, Mr. President.

No, it doesn’t.

You're in the basement because they're afraid of you, of your relentlessness and because they know that they could drop you in the middle of the desert, and tell you the truth is out there, and you'd ask them for a shovel!

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 2792
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 8/7/2012 11:34:18 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

Just started watching this. Half way through season one. Really enjoying it so far - esp the capital punishment episode.

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to Erlenmeyer Flask)
Post #: 2793
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 15/7/2012 4:38:49 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

Just finished watching Season 2, which I thought lagged in middle section because of no real story arc and just episodic episodes. It got A LOT better with the MS storyline culminating in a cracking finale and a brilliant final shot - Two Cathedrals.

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 2794
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 20/7/2012 12:57:28 AM   
Sumintelligentguy

Just finished season 3 (how have I watched it in only 5 days!?). For me, it was the weakest season - I can't quite put my finger on it but it was actually quite boring and repetitive. The writing was just as sharp and snappy as usual but a lot of what the characters were saying I didn't really care about. And how the MS case got discarded was awful, it just seemed like the writers thought the storyline was dragging out (which it wasn't, and they could have got a lot more from it) and just decided to shoe box it. What a shame.

CJ's stalker storyline was interesting but it culminated into something unspectacular. We could have at least seen who it was! (Or maybe that will be revealed next season). Having them kill of Simon was a poor attempt at some emotion because, like the ending of Season 2, they introduced the most interesting storyline at the end of the season so we never really got to see the character develop. "Oh let's show how good he is to society in the final episode by showing him being part of the Big Brother programme." - Poor writing.

R.I.P. Punchy

Post #: 2795
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 27/7/2012 1:28:53 AM   
Sumintelligentguy

Finished season 4 - a stronger season though i'm a bit gutted at the distinct lack of Sam.
The end of the penultimate episode with the Massive Attack - Angel montage has got to be one of the best scenes I have ever seen in a show. And the last episode, up there with Two Cathedrals.

Looking forward to season 5 - despite the alleged significant dip in quality.

R.I.P. Punchy

Post #: 2796
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 27/7/2012 10:06:16 AM   
matty_b

No, I'd agree with you - season three is the weakest.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 2797
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 29/7/2012 5:12:31 PM   
ElephantBoy

Have almost finished two and for me it is far more consistant than the first season and little less pretchy.

My favourite characters so far are Toby, Josh and Donna they all bring something different to the table and play off the rest beautifully.

I am still unsure of Rob Lowe as Sam, it just seems like he has been at his best when playing slick, sleazy characters and so to try and make him more likeable seems a bit of a up hill task. Althrough I was very impressed with how they handled his realtionship with the call girl from season one, the fact that apart from their night together at the start there was no hint of romance between them was refreshing.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 2798
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 22/8/2012 11:22:41 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

SPOILERS AHOY

Finished the whole lot. Season 5 was such a slog.

Season 6 found focus with the new presidential campaign; Santos and Vinnick were both really good characters. And don't you just want Alan Alda to be part of your family? What an all round nice guy.

Season 7 was really good, as good as the early seasons. SPOILER! I was gutted to hear about John Spencer - Leo was one of my favourite characters and the way they handled his death was brilliant.

Favourite character - CJ. Probably because I want to be press secretary for some higher up one day. The press room scenes were always sharp, fast paced and exciting.
Worst - Toby. His ex wife admitting she didn't want to remarry because he was eternally sad was one of the best moments of the show - because it hit the nail on the head. I appreciate that was part of his character, but I didn't like it. And whenever he wanted to get a point across, he would always raise his voice at the end of a sentence. Consistent? Perhaps. Annoying? Always.

I'm gonna miss watching this show.

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 2799
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 23/8/2012 12:33:20 PM   
primebhoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sumintelligentguy

SPOILERS AHOY

Season 6 found focus with the new presidential campaign; Santos and Vinnick were both really good characters. And don't you just want Alan Alda to be part of your family? What an all round nice guy.

Season 7 was really good, as good as the early seasons. SPOILER! I was gutted to hear about John Spencer - Leo was one of my favourite characters and the way they handled his death was brilliant.

Favourite character - CJ. Probably because I want to be press secretary for some higher up one day. The press room scenes were always sharp, fast paced and exciting.
Worst - Toby. His ex wife admitting she didn't want to remarry because he was eternally sad was one of the best moments of the show - because it hit the nail on the head. I appreciate that was part of his character, but I didn't like it. And whenever he wanted to get a point across, he would always raise his voice at the end of a sentence. Consistent? Perhaps. Annoying? Always.

Brace yourself! Tho I do agree somewhat, in that he was always miserable... but I think that made the character tbh. You had Josh, Sam, Donna, CJ for the lighter/cheerier moments, but toby seemed to just always be the same.

'Old Man your about one C**t hair away from hillbilly heaven' - Blade II

Post #: 2800
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 23/8/2012 6:14:17 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

quote:

SPOILERS AHOY

Right, you, me, outside NOW !

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

Post #: 2801
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 23/8/2012 6:21:15 PM   
Prophet_of_Doom

I thought Toby was everyone's favourite character?! Interesting ... find that genuinely baffling, but respect your opinion and each to his own! It's just such a shame they completely bumbled the character as the series drew to a close.

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 2802
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 23/8/2012 6:44:54 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

quote:

SPOILERS AHOY

Form an orderly queue behind me - sumintelligentguy has just called down the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing! Toby Ziegler was, is, and likely will remain (for me at least) the greatest character ever to grace the goggle box. If Jed was the brains of the administration, the Tobester was its conscience. Was he sad? Yeah, a lot of the time, mainly because he hated to see his principles being compromised for politics. Was he always sad? 4 words - "babies come with hats" You say annoying, I say passionate.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 2803
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 23/8/2012 6:54:32 PM   
sharkboy

I suppose those 4 words could equally have been "Ginger, get the popcorn!"

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 2804
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 23/8/2012 7:05:55 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy
Form an orderly queue behind me - sumintelligentguy has just called down the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing! Toby Ziegler was, is, and likely will remain (for me at least) the greatest character ever to grace the goggle box. If Jed was the brains of the administration, the Tobester was its conscience. Was he sad? Yeah, a lot of the time, mainly because he hated to see his principles being compromised for politics. Was he always sad? 4 words - "babies come with hats" You say annoying, I say passionate.

^ This.

Sumintelligentguy not living up to his username here

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 2805
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 25/8/2012 11:22:14 AM   
jonson

quote:

Form an orderly queue behind me - sumintelligentguy has just called down the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing!

I must admit I about shit when I saw that

quote:

Toby Ziegler was, is, and likely will remain (for me at least) the greatest character ever to grace the goggle box.

I'd have to agree 100% there Sharky.

quote:

Was he sad? Yeah, a lot of the time, mainly because he hated to see his principles being compromised for politics. Was he always sad? 4 words - "babies come with hats" You say annoying, I say passionate.

I think that is why I loved Toby. He had a heart.
Whether it was Leo, Josh, Bartlett or even at times, CJ, ignoring their morals to govern and stay in politics, Toby, for me, does what he does to make a difference. Josh on the other hand didn't care. It was all politics for him. All about winning the second term. All about beating his opponents, whether they were right or wrong. Toby however was prepared to risk everything, including his job, for what he believed in. his sadness came from knowing he couldn't. And all that time thinking he was just a grumpy bastard, the few scenes he had with his children were just lovely. His dissapointment when Andy didn't want the house he bought for them was heartbreaking.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 2806
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 29/8/2012 1:19:12 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

^ This.

Sumintelligentguy not living up to his username here

I think using the word "worst" was perhaps wrong, "least favourite" would have been a more apt word. Don't get me wrong, Toby's conscious counteracted the relentlessness of the likes of Josh and it was brilliant to watch, I was just constantly frustrated with the way in which he portrayed his well, frustrations.

I disagree with Jed being he brains of the operation. That IMO lies with Leo.

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 2807
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 29/8/2012 9:04:47 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

quote:

SPOILERS AHOY

First part in bold..........

Second part: "Leo was right" and

"If we start pulling strings like this, you don't think every homeless veteran will come out of the woodwork?", "I can only hope so, Sir"

< Message edited by Keyser Sozzled -- 29/8/2012 9:06:05 PM >

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 2808
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 30/8/2012 12:37:05 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

I think using the word "worst" was perhaps wrong, "least favourite" would have been a more apt word. Don't get me wrong, Toby's conscious counteracted the relentlessness of the likes of Josh and it was brilliant to watch, I was just constantly frustrated with the way in which he portrayed his well, frustrations.

I disagree with Jed being he brains of the operation. That IMO lies with Leo.

Yeah, I'll give you the Leo point - in fact Jed himself even admitted that in "He Shall, From Time To Time":

"
quote:

BARTLET: You have a best friend?
ROGER :Yes, sir.
BARTLET :Is he smarter than you?
ROGER: Yes, sir.
BARTLET: Would you trust him with your life?
ROGER: Yes, sir.
BARTLET: That's your chief of staff.

Maybe part of the reason I didn't mind Toby's frequent frustrations was that he still had the power to surprise.  He spent one episode hunting down the source of a leak and rounded up his entire staff who were expecting heads to roll, only to tell them that "you're my guys and I'm yours"

WWLD?

Post #: 2809
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 30/8/2012 1:58:34 PM   
Rgirvan44

About season 3 - basically 9/11 happened and Sorkin couldn't write the show in the same way. That is why the MS storyline was sorta (but not totally) ditched and terrorism became a thing.

I love all four seasons of the Sorkin years. I don't really like season 5, life half of season 6 and love season 7.

But compare season 1 to season 7 - they are barely the same show.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 2810
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 21/9/2012 7:23:04 AM   
furrybastard

They're baaaaack!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v52FLMOPSig

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 2811
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 21/9/2012 9:46:24 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

About season 3 - basically 9/11 happened and Sorkin couldn't write the show in the same way. That is why the MS storyline was sorta (but not totally) ditched and terrorism became a thing.

I love all four seasons of the Sorkin years. I don't really like season 5, life half of season 6 and love season 7.

But compare season 1 to season 7 - they are barely the same show.

Very true, but as Einstein says, it's all relative.  I'd still much rather have Season 5 of WW than the best season of most other TV shows out there.  And for all that was wrong with Wells' vision for the show when he took over from Sorkin, at least it appeared that he actually listened to the criticism and tried very hard to address it.  In fact, you've got to admire how, despite the dodgy start, he managed to get the show if not back into the Sorkinsphere, at least hovering not far below it.

Season 3 was a strange beast.  It's definitely the weakest of the Sorkin years, but that's kinda like saying that little Jimmy is the least favourite of your children - you love them all anyway!   And I think the criticism levelled at Isaac and Ishmael was very unfair.  OK, so it may not have been as polished as other episodes, but it has to be seen in context.  It was hastily written following 9/11 and aired just days later, to a country still painfully raw after the tragedy.  But what made it stand out for me was it's message.  At a time when the real President was shouting about "dead or alive" and leading the anti-Islamic fervour by talking of starting crusades against Islamic countries to the appreciative applause and whistles of the nation and its media, Sorkin had the balls to stand up and say "Enough with equating Islam with terrorism".  Josh's "al-Qaeda is to Islam as KKK is to Christianity" was a brave reminder to a nation baying for blood.

Anyway, remember "The Wake Up Call", the episode when the administration was, with the help of Emmet Brown,  helping a young Belarusian democracy establish a constitution?  Apparently they've even helped real-life places embrace democracy!  http://movies.yahoo.com/news/hillary-clinton-aaron-sorkins-west-wing-studied-burmas-010240731.html

< Message edited by sharkboy -- 21/9/2012 9:52:00 AM >

WWLD?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 2812
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 21/9/2012 4:49:52 PM   
boaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

They're baaaaack!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v52FLMOPSig

Awesome. That rivals the wee Back to the Future thing from a whiley ago.

Jacket twirl, ball bouncing, Apocalypse Now... fuzzy feelings.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 2813
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 21/9/2012 5:00:28 PM   
vader100

Best campaign ad ever, and what happened to Josh - looks so much older, was it really that long ago?

"It's an apocalypse now?"

< Message edited by vader100 -- 21/9/2012 5:01:30 PM >

You can't take the sky from me

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 2814
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 21/9/2012 11:42:33 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

he looks a lot fatter too.

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to vader100)
Post #: 2815
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 22/9/2012 1:46:02 AM   
homersimpson_esq

It's an apocalypse now?!

Brilliant.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 2816
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 2/11/2012 8:02:03 AM   
jonson

Right, finished TWW last night. It has taken 3 months to re-watch the entire 7 series - for the third time. Yes, the third time.
Me and the missus decided we won't watch it all again now until about 2015.

After watching it again, particularly the last 3 or 4 epsodes, it really did seem to be setting itself up for a Series 8. Anyone know if this was intended to carry on? It was the perfect place to end it really, but with Santos setting all his staff chosen, getting themselves sinto place with big issues to sort out, it did kind of feel like it had legs (plus I wanted to see more of Vinick - clearly the stand out character in Season 7)
Still love that last shot though on the last episode. It starts with Bartlett watching the sun rise, then ends with it setting, and he replies "tomorrow" when asked by his wife what he's thinking about.
Top stuff. Even for the third time.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 2817
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 2/11/2012 12:29:20 PM   
discodave101

Good question jonson, I wondered the same thing when I watched season 7 for the first time last year. I would quite happily have tuned in for season 8, but I know the ratings tumbled a lot.

I would assume they went in to the season writing it for both eventualities (continuing or being cancelled), but then later in the season the Network will have canned it with enough time for them to conclude it fittingly.

I also want to know which head writer chose the voting outcome.

"Softly softly, catchy monkey"

"I didn't know you spoke spanish"

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 2818
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 2/11/2012 1:19:48 PM   
matty_b

I heard a rumour that Santos was going to lose the election, but after John Spencer died they changed their minds. No idea how true that is though.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to discodave101)
Post #: 2819
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 3/3/2013 4:02:39 PM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

Anyone see this, clicky?

Anyway, it's kinda funny to hear how some people perceive this show.

Sorkin's writing sucks.
The dialogue is awful.
All the characters are the same, they are Sorkin's puppets.
The show is so smug, etc, etc.

< Message edited by Erlenmeyer Flask -- 3/3/2013 4:03:20 PM >

You're in the basement because they're afraid of you, of your relentlessness and because they know that they could drop you in the middle of the desert, and tell you the truth is out there, and you'd ask them for a shovel!

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 2820
Page:   <<   < prev  91 92 93 [94] 95   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread Page: <<   < prev  91 92 93 [94] 95   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI