Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread Page: <<   < prev  90 91 [92] 93 94   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 2/5/2012 5:22:45 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Anybody seen this yet?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/01/the-west-wing-reunion-walk-and-talk_n_1467267.html

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 2731
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 8/5/2012 9:39:26 AM   
NCC1701A

Have started to rewatch this classic TV series yes it did go down hill after seasion 4 but even season 5,6 and 7 were still good.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 2732
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 12/5/2012 11:54:42 PM   
boaby

Stuck in the DVD. Again.

Anyone know which Calvin and Hobbes strips Josh has framed on his office wall? I only just noticed 'em.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 2733
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 16/5/2012 9:12:55 AM   
sharkboy

I think it's Doonesbury rather than Calvin & Hobbes.  Now that I've moved house, I really should get the rewatch started soon myself...

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 2734
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 16/5/2012 5:19:33 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Now that I've moved house, I really should get the rewatch started soon myself...

Needs to be done.
Watched Slow News Day (Season 5) last night, I forgot how brilliant Toby is in that episode.
I just hope and pray people like that really work in politics (although I know for a fucking fact they don't )

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 2735
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 18/5/2012 1:16:30 PM   
From_Hell

quote:

ORIGINAL: From_Hell

So I started on my West Wing journey last night, opened my box set and watched the first episode. It was good, and the President's first appearance was very funny. I gather that it takes a few episodes to get going, so I'm looking forward to watching a few more this week!

Almost a year later and I'm all done - finished watching the final episode of Season 7 last night. I did enjoy it, I'll miss the characters, but is it up there with my other favourite shows of all time like The Sopranos, The Wire and Dexter? Maybe it's because I'm not that au fait with the US political system. Alot of the 'political speak' went straight over my head. Thankfully the likeable characters kept the show appealing. I struggled around Season 5 and the start of Season 6, but as the election race built up momentum, it really took off again.

I can't imagine revisiting this every year (it took me almost a year to get through it already!) but I'll certainly give it a rewatch in a couple of years time.

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 2736
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 18/5/2012 1:31:45 PM   
steffols

quote:

quote:

So I started on my West Wing journey last night, opened my box set and watched the first episode. It was good, and the President's first appearance was very funny. I gather that it takes a few episodes to get going, so I'm looking forward to watching a few more this week!

Almost a year later and I'm all done - finished watching the final episode of Season 7 last night. I did enjoy it, I'll miss the characters, but is it up there with my other favourite shows of all time like The Sopranos, The Wire and Dexter? Maybe it's because I'm not that au fait with the US political system. Alot of the 'political speak' went straight over my head. Thankfully the likeable characters kept the show appealing. I struggled around Season 5 and the start of Season 6, but as the election race built up momentum, it really took off again.

I can't imagine revisiting this every year (it took me almost a year to get through it already!) but I'll certainly give it a rewatch in a couple of years time.

I had a similar problem when first watching. Most of the time the characters talk to bloody fast for you even if you did know what they were talking about!

It's not to everyones taste, but I found that having the subtitles on the screen helped me a lot in understanding what they were discussing. Most of the time I still don't know but I at the very least got a grasp of what they were discussing and it help me enjoy the show heaps more.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 2737
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 1/6/2012 2:55:02 AM   
boaby

Stackhouse episode.

Minnesota senator. Just noticed he has a Norwegian flag and a carved Viking ship on the wall behind his desk.

Cracking detail.

Also, same episode, the intern that chews out Sam won't let him call her Winnie rather than Winifred. There's another episode where Sam tries to shorten someone's name but gets denied. I find the fussiness of names funny considering: Jed, Leo, Josh, Toby, C.J., Sam, Donna, Kathy, Debbie, Abbey, Mandy, Andy, Ellie, Liz, Will, Bob, Matt, Arnie, Rob, Danny, Ron... I mean just about every main or recurring character has a shortened name.

As for the episode itself, what a load of tosh. Autistic kids get phucked for the sake a news cycle if some Senator didn't have an autistic grandkid and if there weren't a shedload of Old Men in power. And we're supposed say well done to the chumps who were gonna tell autistic nippers to swivvel?

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 2738
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 1/6/2012 8:26:57 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

As for the episode itself, what a load of tosh. Autistic kids get phucked for the sake a news cycle if some Senator didn't have an autistic grandkid and if there weren't a shedload of Old Men in power. And we're supposed say well done to the chumps who were gonna tell autistic nippers to swivvel?

See, I thought it was a brilliant episode. It questions your own morals. Should politics be personal? No, but how could you not blame him for standing up for the one thing that he believes in, before it's too late and he no longer has the power?

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 2739
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 1/6/2012 9:01:00 AM   
boaby

No probs with Stackhouse doing his thang. On ye go big man, best of luck. Though I liked him better before the reveal that there was a personal element.

My problem is Josh and the chirpy chappies in the WW only doing something about autism 'cos the guy had a grandkid. When before they knew he had a grandkid they were ranging from dismissive of him to p!ssed off at him.

The old man's waffling - goddamn it, I've sweaters to be wearing in the Hamptons!

The old man's got a grandkid that's why he's waffling - tally-ho, rally the troops, big group hug.

From horse's rear end to "don't mess with us C.J." in the time it takes to play a news reel.

If the point was to show the WWingers as self-involved muppets then job done. If the point was to show how American government can pull together and "look papa I'm a real boy" and it's ok Bambi's mum didn't die - Jed banned the rifle just in time - and isn't America great with copious amounts of backslapping (as the WW is wont to do) then it's an epic fail.

Should the lads wanting to strip mine Montana just have got their grandad to phone good ol' Jed? What's a land use rider between grandad's?

Principles nowhere in sight.

Just as well they're not all complete wankers.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 2740
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 1/6/2012 9:05:20 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

See, I thought it was a brilliant episode. It questions your own morals. Should politics be personal? No, but how could you not blame him for standing up for the one thing that he believes in, before it's too late and he no longer has the power?

Exactly.  It's a harsh reality in politics that there is a finite pool of resources to spread around, and sometimes worthy causes get overlooked.  It's particularly prevalent in the US legislature where any bill can quickly become a "christmas tree", with members of both parties wanting to tag on amendments to highlight their own personal cause du jours. Add to the fact that the bill in question in this episode was bipartisan, so obviously there were things in it that were a compromise to the other side.  And, if memory serves, this was a $6 billion healthcare bill that did include measures for special needs kids, along with incentives to address a host of children's illnesses.  So it's not like the autistic kids were set aside for clauses promoting tax breaks for big tobacco or something!  The team had every reason to be proud of the bill that they were hoping to put through.

Anyway, Stackhouse saw the chance to highlight a children's health issue that just happened to be personal to him and that he felt the bill hadn't properly addressed, and he took it.  In the circumstances, who wouldn't?  I know that I would.

Interesting fact, fellow wingnuts - Bradley Whitford suggested this storyline to Aaron Sorkin to highlight the cause of autism support in the USA; a cause of which he himself is a big supporter.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 2741
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 1/6/2012 9:09:07 AM   
boaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

And, if memory serves, this was a $6 billion healthcare bill that did include measures for special needs kids, along with incentives to address a host of children's illnesses.  So it's not like the autistic kids were set aside for clauses promoting tax breaks for big tobacco or something! 

It was a bill concerned with children's healthcare. It included, as Stackhouse told Josh, funding for Alzeimer's, erectile disfunction and another thing affecting people far older than children.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 2742
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 1/6/2012 9:28:27 AM   
sharkboy

Yeah, but that's the point I was making above - it's the nature of bipartisan politics that when you want to achieve something, you often have to make compromises that stick in the craw.  Like the compromise they made to agree to make it mandatory to inform women who are having an abortion of their other choices, which secured funding for a programme to raise awareness of the adoption of special needs kids.  And better to have $6 billion or thereabouts to spend on addressing children's illnesses with some spending elsewhere than to not have a bill at all.

Granted, Josh's behaviour when he met Stackhose did verge on twattishness, but that's just sympomatic of Josh's arrogance on these matters which he often displayed in such encounters.  And he admits that himself at the end of the episode - something about being buried under a cloud of partisanship and self-promotion.  But at the end of the day, the outcome was that the bill was re-opened and, we assume, passed with funding for autism research and awareness.  And you can bet that when it went back to the senate to be opened again, nobody pushed harder to secure the funding than Josh.  So, I think it's OK to cut him a break here!

WWLD?

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 2743
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 1/6/2012 9:55:44 AM   
boaby

I also doubt that the parents of Josh, Sam and C.J. liked hearing about the miraculous power of grandkids from three folk heading deep into middle age without providing them with the opportunity of feeling that power.

Hi Dad/Mum, we changed a bill today 'cos a senator had grandkids and the President has grandkids. No, I'm not married yet. No, I'm not seeing anyone. Would you please stop nipping my head about grandkid! Whaddaya mean, I started it? You never shut up about it. That is, of course, when you're not burning custard, sending me life threatening shoes or having a bloody affair!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 2744
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 1/6/2012 10:00:50 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

I also doubt that the parents of Josh, Sam and C.J. liked hearing about the miraculous power of grandkids from three folk heading deep into middle age without providing them with the opportunity of feeling that power.

Hi Dad/Mum, we changed a bill today 'cos a senator had grandkids and the President has grandkids. No, I'm not married yet. No, I'm not seeing anyone. Would you please stop nipping my head about grandkid! Whaddaya mean, I started it? You never shut up about it. That is, of course, when you're not burning custard, sending me life threatening shoes or having a bloody affair!

WWLD?

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 2745
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 1/6/2012 10:06:50 AM   
jonson

I think everyone is correct here, but that is why I loved the episode. This is why Josh and Toby are so different, but equally important. Toby wants world peace, a perfect healthcare system and better education for everyone. Josh wants to win elections. He's the politician. Toby got to the White House to makes changes. Josh just wants to stay there.
Again, my own personal opinion is that I couldn't make some decisions so I'm glad someone does it on my behalf.
To give the autism debate a personal slant was quite clever. Personal issues shouldn't make any difference. That's why I have 1% (and no more ) of respect for David Cameron as he went through an awful emotional experience with his own child but never used it (in my personal opinion - some people think otherwise) for his own political spin or to get something else on an agenda. Stackhouse did, which may be morally wrong in itself but is perhaps something we'd all try and do.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 2746
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 1/6/2012 10:14:43 AM   
sharkboy

Yeah, but to be fair to Stackhouse, he only used it as a last resort.  He never mentioned his grandkid to Josh when campaigning for funds, he never even played the grandfather card with Bartlet.  It was only when he saw his last chance at some proper funding for research about to be pushed through the Senate that he stood up (quite literally!).

Can't agree with you on the Cameron angle - sure, he's never brought the kid front and centre, but the number of times he's mentioned that his kid is autistic but he won't ever use him for political purposes?  ORLY?

WWLD?

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 2747
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 1/6/2012 10:28:55 AM   
boaby

Couldn't sleep last night so I nailed the last couple of discs of season 2.

See in Two Cathedrals when the storm kicks up and doors are opening and such... Is that meant to be Mrs Landingham?

I'm usually pretty slow to pick up on trippy hippy stuff such as that, should it be the case. This is like the 5th or 6th time I've stuck the discs in.

Did we ever find out why the protestors were protesting the National Geographic place?

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 2748
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 1/6/2012 11:31:08 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

See in Two Cathedrals when the storm kicks up and doors are opening and such... Is that meant to be Mrs Landingham?

No, it's God saying- 'fucking yell at me, will you?'

Or it's just the wind.......

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 2749
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 2/6/2012 7:56:59 PM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

RIP, Kathryn Joosten - Mrs. Landingham.

You're in the basement because they're afraid of you, of your relentlessness and because they know that they could drop you in the middle of the desert, and tell you the truth is out there, and you'd ask them for a shovel!

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 2750
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 2/6/2012 7:59:04 PM   
steffols

Rest In Peace Kathryn Joosten - a true pillar of the show in it's first two seasons, held the whole thing together with her fantastic acting.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to Erlenmeyer Flask)
Post #: 2751
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 2/6/2012 8:21:00 PM   
matty_b

Aw, that's sad. The scene where she tells Charlie why she doesn't celebrate Christmas is one of the finest in its entire run - and that's saying something indeed.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 2752
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 2/6/2012 9:06:49 PM   
RobotDevil

quote:

Couldn't sleep last night so I nailed the last couple of discs of season 2.

I'm usually pretty slow to pick up on trippy hippy stuff such as that, should it be the case. This is like the 5th or 6th time I've stuck the discs in.

Did we ever find out why the protestors were protesting the National Geographic place?

Is this just really weird timing on your part that you happened to choose the episodes concerning Mrs Landingham's death?

RIP.

I had Korean Barbecue for lunch - I cannot look at a Dr Moreau pigbaby.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 2753
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 2/6/2012 9:25:29 PM   
boaby

That's a bit weird.

A good innings for the old girl.

(in reply to RobotDevil)
Post #: 2754
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 2/6/2012 9:49:46 PM   
Shifty Bench

Awwwww, man! RIP Mrs.Landingham.

(Of course, now everywhere you look she's known as 'Desperate Housewives' Kathryn Joosten')

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 2/6/2012 10:04:35 PM >

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 2755
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 4/6/2012 2:16:44 PM   
boaby

Quick quiz Wingnuts:

The actors who played the following characters in Deadwood also turn up in TWW, what episodes are they in and what senior staffers do they rattle/amuse/mind-phuck:

Elsworth
Swearengen
George Hearst

Anyone using IMDB is a woofter.

Post #: 2756
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 4/6/2012 3:28:24 PM   
Shifty Bench

I didn't watch Deadwood, so without looking online, I can only answer one of them-

Swearengen was played by Ian McShane who played a Russian negotiator dude. Doesn't Sam get inspired by him? I remember it being Sam that has the meeting with him anyway.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 2757
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 4/6/2012 5:00:43 PM   
boaby

Swearengen was indeed the Ruski who was au fait with onomatopoeia. Which, given his unfamiliarity with certain phrasing, tickled Sam.

For those heathen hoopleheads who haven't seen Deadwood:

Jim Beaver as Ellsworth:

Gerald McRaney as George Hearst:

< Message edited by boaby -- 4/6/2012 5:01:02 PM >

Post #: 2758
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 4/6/2012 8:16:41 PM   
Shifty Bench

Jim Beaver! I know that dude, I watch Supernatural (and he was in Harper's Island too).

He was a reporter in an ep (I think it was the season 3 opener) so I assume he pissed off or flustered CJ in some way

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 4/6/2012 8:19:05 PM >

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 2759
RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 4/6/2012 9:23:39 PM   
boaby

Ellsworth was indeed in ep 1 proper of Season 3.

He was the reporter, Carl, who asked the series of Qs that rattled C.J. enough to get her to say "relieved". Relieved! C.J. never misspeaks...

Reckon Shifty needs help with the last one. Poor lad's not up to it.

Post #: 2760
Page:   <<   < prev  90 91 [92] 93 94   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The West Wing Appreciation Thread Page: <<   < prev  90 91 [92] 93 94   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI