Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for the first time....

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for the first time.... Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 11/7/2006 5:56:57 PM   
punchdrunk

I didnt mean that '24' isnt a good show theres great action but when it comes to the scenes at the agency i wish they had a bit of wit, i think "West Wing" has sort of ruined that for me...in a good way... 

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 121
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 11/7/2006 6:08:07 PM   
Ripper

quote:

ORIGINAL: matthewforan

Me and my uncle (who is also a big WW fan) are dying to watch 24.

Its true after watching ww i have seen pretty much every tv show in a new light, but i still love many other tv shows, with 24 being top. Although now i can see that quite alot of shows (ww and 24 included) may seem to be original nut trust me, they arent! Still top quality shows though!

I think we can all agree, history is in the past

- George Dubya Bush

Some say he only knows two things about ducks .... and both of them are wrong

Post #: 122
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 11/7/2006 6:13:08 PM   
punchdrunk

West Wing drinking Game:
1. Every time a Steady Cam shot is used (you'd have alcohol poisoning by the end of the episode)

2.? 

(in reply to Ripper)
Post #: 123
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 11/7/2006 6:46:55 PM   
matthewforan

quote:

ORIGINAL: punchdrunk

West Wing drinking Game:
1. Every time a Steady Cam shot is used (you'd have alcohol poisoning by the end of the episode)

2.? 

WE SHOULD DO THAT. COME UP WITH A WW DRINKING GAME, GREAT IDEA!!!

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 124
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 11/7/2006 6:47:30 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

West Wing drinking Game:

2.? 

2. Every time they mention "the thing".  That should send you screaming into alcoholic oblivion....

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 125
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 11/7/2006 7:35:00 PM   
Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

3 - Every time Bartlett swooshes on his coat
4 - Every time Leo talks to someone without actually looking at them.
5 - Every time Josh has to explain legislation to Donna. That one right there is going to hospitalise you.

< Message edited by Vertigo...Woo.Yay. -- 11/7/2006 7:36:21 PM >

"Things are going to get pretty interesting..."
"Define 'interesting'"
"Oh God, Oh God, we're all gonna die?"

If only we could harness Otis Ferry for good...
All hail Hypnotoad

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 126
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 11/7/2006 7:37:29 PM   
Underscore

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barefoot Doctor

Underscore, how goes your West Wing viewing? I figure you must be on to Season 7 by now!

Woah, missed that one. I've finished Season 2, but I'm unfortuantely found that I've got no cash at the current moment. Meaning I can't continue my West Wing adventure. Which is a shame because I'm dying to know what happens after Two Cathedrals. Still, it means I've got something to look forward to.

Oh and looking at the emmy nominations page, I've worked out who wins the election in Season 7, which is really annoying. It means I'll probably not enjoy the last season as much if I know who wins...

quote:

After watching the West Wing, I dont think its possible to watch a show like '24' where it takes itself so seriously and not wish they would take notes from the West Wing and have a bit of office banter, but no they try to strain every bit of drama when the plots are dramatic enough, the West Wing deal with some really important matters and takes them seriously when it needs to but alot of the time they employ the banter which i think is to a lesser extent how it is in the real place.    

24 does occasionally have its funny bits. I think Chloe has come up with some stunners in Season 5 but unfortunately 24 has to keep a serious tone up otherwise it would break the fundementals of the show. Which are about death, shocks, more deaths and the unexpected. I think humour would lessen the impact of the twists. Could you imagine a certain death, or execution in the latter parts of Season 3 being the same if Jack knocked a joke out before pulling the trigger. Still, I don't think it lessens the quality of 24 even though I know what you mean. It shows that TWW can do both the light-hearted and the dramatic. And it's certainly a quality which it should be proud of.

'Josh: Couldn't you just drop me off the Washington Monument? Bartlet: It's Christmas Josh!, no reason why we can't do both!

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 127
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 11/7/2006 8:03:20 PM   
silverado

I love 24 and The West Wing. Whenever I see 24 and see Jack Bauer on the phone with The President I often wonder how Bartlet would handle things. Just imagining Bartlet on the phone with Bauer is weird.

And for the drinking game, every time someone calls there assitant Margaret/Donna/Ginger and best of all MRS LANDINGHAM!

(in reply to Underscore)
Post #: 128
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 11/7/2006 8:06:06 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

I didnt mean that '24' isnt a good show theres great action but when it comes to the scenes at the agency i wish they had a bit of wit, i think "West Wing" has sort of ruined that for me...in a good way... 

Chloe: Oh my God, Jack! They just nuked California! Casualties are at 10 million and counting!

Jack: Ooooohhh, that's GOTTA hurt!!

*Everyone at CTU laughs, then Jack walks down the corridor shouting out orders while the camera follows him along and he recites statistics from the local newspaper*

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 129
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 11/7/2006 8:12:15 PM   
silverado

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ripper

Martin Sheen apparently once played the secretary of state and president jfk.

And the secretary of state (who was up for being VPOTUS) in the west wing is the secretary of defence in 24

President Logan from 24 once played a fairly low ranking reporter in season 4

A Hollywood administration perchance?

Martin Sheen also plays the Chief of Staff in Sorkin's The American President which also stars plenty of other West Wing regulars.

(in reply to Ripper)
Post #: 130
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 11/7/2006 8:12:23 PM   
matthewforan

You are stuck on two cathedrals, you are in for a treat when you get the cash. As for spoiling the 7th season, it sort of does it in the first episode of that season. For those who have seen it you'll know what i mean.

Drinking Game:

6) When ever Toby looks down at his desk and mutters.

< Message edited by matthewforan -- 21/2/2009 10:52:17 AM >

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Underscore)
Post #: 131
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 11/7/2006 8:14:34 PM   
The Mighty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Underscore

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barefoot Doctor

Underscore, how goes your West Wing viewing? I figure you must be on to Season 7 by now!

Woah, missed that one. I've finished Season 2, but I'm unfortuantely found that I've got no cash at the current moment. Meaning I can't continue my West Wing adventure. Which is a shame because I'm dying to know what happens after Two Cathedrals. Still, it means I've got something to look forward to.

Oh and looking at the emmy nominations page, I've worked out who wins the election in Season 7, which is really annoying. It means I'll probably not enjoy the last season as much if I know who wins...

quote:

After watching the West Wing, I dont think its possible to watch a show like '24' where it takes itself so seriously and not wish they would take notes from the West Wing and have a bit of office banter, but no they try to strain every bit of drama when the plots are dramatic enough, the West Wing deal with some really important matters and takes them seriously when it needs to but alot of the time they employ the banter which i think is to a lesser extent how it is in the real place.    

24 does occasionally have its funny bits. I think Chloe has come up with some stunners in Season 5 but unfortunately 24 has to keep a serious tone up otherwise it would break the fundementals of the show. Which are about death, shocks, more deaths and the unexpected. I think humour would lessen the impact of the twists. Could you imagine a certain death, or execution in the latter parts of Season 3 being the same if Jack knocked a joke out before pulling the trigger. Still, I don't think it lessens the quality of 24 even though I know what you mean. It shows that TWW can do both the light-hearted and the dramatic. And it's certainly a quality which it should be proud of.

I couldn't agree more. The last thing 24 need is witty banter. That just isn't what 24 is about. It may work perfectly for The West Wing, but it would just be terrible on 24.

(in reply to Underscore)
Post #: 132
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 11/7/2006 10:48:43 PM   
punchdrunk

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard
quote:

Chloe: Oh my God, Jack! They just nuked California! Casualties are at 10 million and counting!

Jack: Ooooohhh, that's GOTTA hurt!!

*Everyone at CTU laughs, then Jack walks down the corridor shouting out orders while the camera follows him along and he recites statistics from the local newspaper*

Can i frame this  

of course it wouldn't suite some parts of the show just as they dont suite the serious parts of WW i made that in one of my other posts, but even if i buy that. It cant compete with the quality of the cast some of them are straight out of Startrek T.N.G school of bland acting.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 133
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 12/7/2006 3:05:00 PM   
Ripper

quote:

ORIGINAL: silverado

quote:

Martin Sheen apparently once played the secretary of state and president jfk.

And the secretary of state (who was up for being VPOTUS) in the west wing is the secretary of defence in 24

President Logan from 24 once played a fairly low ranking reporter in season 4

A Hollywood administration perchance?

Martin Sheen also plays the Chief of Staff in Sorkin's The American President which also stars plenty of other West Wing regulars.

Steven Culp who plays the speaker of the Senate from season 5 also played attorney general RFK in the film 13 Days.

- George Dubya Bush

(in reply to silverado)
Post #: 134
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 12/7/2006 4:49:43 PM   
matthewforan

I think we should get back on to topic, we have sort of lost our way a wee bit here. So my question is what actor would you have put in WW and why. I would have gone for John Cusack, who has the sort of sense of humour that the rest of the cast does and he also looks good in a suit

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Ripper)
Post #: 135
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 12/7/2006 8:57:01 PM   
LB Jeffries

quote:

I think we should get back on to topic, we have sort of lost our way a wee bit here. So my question is what actor would you have put in WW and why. I would have gone for John Cusack, who has the sort of sense of humour that the rest of the cast does and he also looks good in a suit

Series 2 & 4 spoilers below.

I always thought - if his health permitted - Michael J. Fox would have been great as Sam's replacement. He would have worked well with Whitford and Fox pretty much played that part anyway, in The American President.
Jeff Bridges as the new VP when Hoynes resigns.

“When he shall die, take him and cut him out in little stars and he will make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with night and pay no worship to the garish sun.”

Post #: 136
The West Wing - 12/7/2006 9:05:25 PM   
Ripper

quote:

Tough one that. WW cast are perfect to me to the point when its one of those rare occasions i actually refer to a character by their name and not the actor playing them

I will endevour though

- George Dubya Bush

Post #: 137
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 12/7/2006 9:06:37 PM   
Ripper

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hoynes quit in season 5 in the episode life on mars. One of the few i remember the title as its a david bowie song.

- George Dubya Bush

(in reply to LB Jeffries)
Post #: 138
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 12/7/2006 9:13:17 PM   
Mycroft

quote:

ORIGINAL: LB Jeffries

quote:

Series 2 & 4 spoilers below.

I always thought - if his health permitted - Michael J. Fox would have been great as Sam's replacement. He would have worked well with Whitford and Fox pretty much played that part anyway, in The American President.
Jeff Bridges as the new VP when Hoynes resigns.

Great choices, Bridges was fantastic in The Contender, also starring Christian Slater. Bridges couldn't have played a Bob Russell kind of character though, would have to be something more wily. Fox in Wills position would have been awesome, was never a big fan of that character.

Post #: 139
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 12/7/2006 9:29:24 PM   
matthewforan

[/quote]

Great choices, Bridges was fantastic in The Contender, also starring Christian Slater. Bridges couldn't have played a Bob Russell kind of character though, would have to be something more wily. Fox in Wills position would have been awesome, was never a big fan of that character.

[/quote]

I liked Will he's a good character he has the same sort of whit as the other WWers

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Mycroft)
Post #: 140
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 12/7/2006 9:36:55 PM   
LB Jeffries

*****POST CONTAINS SEASON 4 SPOILERS*****

quote:

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hoynes quit in season 5 in the episode life on mars. One of the few i remember the title as its a david bowie song.

Sorry Ripper but Life on Mars is the end of season 4. That's why when Bartlett envokes the 25th amendment, the Speaker of the House (John Goodman) has to take over as there is no VP at that time.

“When he shall die, take him and cut him out in little stars and he will make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with night and pay no worship to the garish sun.”

(in reply to Ripper)
Post #: 141
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 13/7/2006 11:20:04 AM   
matthewforan

*********Spoilers*************

Yeah the one where Hoynes quits is, the one with Matthew Perry and he discovers about the affair and the book. I think it was called Evidence of Things Not Seen.

Punchdrunk RIP

Post #: 142
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 13/7/2006 11:34:16 AM   
Ripper

quote:

ORIGINAL: LB Jeffries

*****POST CONTAINS SEASON 4 SPOILERS*****

Sorry Ripper but Life on Mars is the end of season 4. That's why when Bartlett envokes the 25th amendment, the Speaker of the House (John Goodman) has to take over as there is no VP at that time.

Damn, only watched it ab out 3 weeks ago, howd i forget?

- George Dubya Bush

Post #: 143
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 13/7/2006 1:12:06 PM   
LB Jeffries

*****Season 4 Spoilers*****

quote:

Yeah the one where Hoynes quits is, the one with Matthew Perry and he discovers about the affair and the book. I think it was called Evidence of Things Not Seen.

No, Life on Mars was the one where Hoynes quits, Evidence of Things Not Seen is the episode before where Josh is interviewing Perry for the job while the WW is crashed because of the sniper shooting at the Press Room.
I have a weird photographic memory regarding seasons 1-4. I think I watch them a little too often.

Post #: 144
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 13/7/2006 2:02:04 PM   
matthewforan

I don't know why that episode name was in bold and large print, but i was sure it was out of that episode but i maybe mistaken. I know what you mean about watching them a bit to often. I am on my third time around on WW i'm on to season 5.

Punchdrunk RIP

Post #: 145
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 13/7/2006 8:41:20 PM   
silverado

quote:

I know what you mean about watching them a bit to often. I am on my third time around on WW i'm on to season 5.

All this talk about the show makes me want to watch even more as well. Especially when people pickout favourite episodes or scenes that I haven't seen for a while.

Not really sure about your actors question to be honest. Can't think of anyone obvious who I'd want to appear. Though agree with the posters who suggested Michael J. Fox, though not at the expense of Will who I really like.

Post #: 146
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 14/7/2006 11:48:34 AM   
matthewforan

Yeah i was the same, once i started to write on this forum i started watching them again. I'm a big fan of J. Fox as well.

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to silverado)
Post #: 147
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 14/7/2006 11:55:02 AM   
JennieC

I wouldn't replace any of the actors with anyone else.  And I don't know enough about US tv to suggest any worthy cast additions.  I wish they would've given more air time to Ainsley Hayes and Joey Lucas though, both great characters.  Oliver Platt was also an inspired choice for a bit part.

And another suggestion for the drinking game - down the rest of your drink every time Josh tells Donna he doesn't give two hoots about her love life then watches her walk away with lost puppy eyes....  guaranteed to get you drunk by the end of, well, around 6 episodes in I guess

"Golden - he came here from another planet, but that planet is awesome man"

Post #: 148
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 14/7/2006 12:20:33 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

I was watching a great episode the other night - 17 People. Apparently the show was costing a lot of money to produce so Sorkin wrote a script using barely any actors - Bartlet, Leo, Toby, Josh, Sam, Donna, Charlie, Ainsley, Ed and Larry are the only ones with speaking roles. CJ doesn't even appear in the episode, and there is only a couple of background actors. That's pretty phenomenal for an hour long show. And it turned out to be one of the best episodes they've ever done. The scenes between Bartlet and Toby are magnificent, especially the one where Bartlet loses it and screams 'shut up'.

And then Toby walks back into the room where they're 'bringing the funny' and looks absolutely shell shocked, with nobody noticing. The final shot of Leo closing the door to the Oval accompanied by the sound of the bouncing ball is a work of genius.

Drinking game: one shot everytime 'what's next' is said. Two shots if it's said by Bartlet.

< Message edited by Barefoot Doctor -- 14/7/2006 12:22:17 PM >

(in reply to JennieC)
Post #: 149
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 14/7/2006 12:30:54 PM   
matthewforan

That is a great episode, when you see Toby at the start working it out in his head and then going to Leo and Bartlet. It's also a really like the bits in the Oval Office, you really see the talent that flows through WW in that episode.

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for the first time.... Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI