Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for the first time....

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for the first time.... Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 9/7/2006 6:39:14 PM   
matthewforan

Yeah Angel by Massive Attack is very well used, and Hallelujah is one of my top 5 songs ever. Brothers In Arms is great as well the guitar solo is brilliant.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to silverado)
Post #: 91
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 9/7/2006 6:45:23 PM   
silverado

The only other song I can think of is A New York Minute by Don Henley. It's in 'Somebodys Going To Emergency...' which is one of my favourite episodes.

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 92
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 9/7/2006 7:25:28 PM   
matthewforan

That is a cracking episode. I completely forgot 2 other of my favourite episodes Game On and Election Night, two brilliant episodes and you get to see Amy in that red dress. Almost as good as Cameron Diaz in The Mask.

< Message edited by matthewforan -- 9/7/2006 7:26:09 PM >

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to silverado)
Post #: 93
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 9/7/2006 7:55:45 PM   
silverado

quote:

ORIGINAL: matthewforan

I completely forgot 2 other of my favourite episodes Game On and Election Night, two brilliant episodes and you get to see Amy in that red dress. Almost as good as Cameron Diaz in The Mask.

Absolutely right. Those two with Debate Camp and Process Stories on either side make up probably my favourite dvd disc of any season.

Post #: 94
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 9/7/2006 8:50:56 PM   
matthewforan

I keep going through the episode listings on IMDb and i keep thinking "God i love that episode". I really can't choice which series is my favourite, it is an impossible choice. As for favourite discs that's even harder. They do the flash back scenes so well, i love the ones where they are campaigning and when Josh goes to get his choice for a president. When Josh and Toby have that fight and he tells him that he wanted to pick one together, breaks my heart every time.

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to silverado)
Post #: 95
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 9/7/2006 8:58:42 PM   
silverado

You may already know this but www.westwingepguide.com is another great place to find out about episodes and who's in what episodes. I agree though there's hardly a bad episode which is why it's the greatest series of all time. Plus for a drama series it's so funny.

Post #: 96
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 9/7/2006 9:45:14 PM   
matthewforan

yeah i do there is another one http://westwing.bewarne.com/wwsearch.html which is very good for finding the music they use. You are right about it being funny it is very funny, when Josh, Toby and Sam are together they are fantastic.

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to silverado)
Post #: 97
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 9/7/2006 9:51:43 PM   
silverado

I think my favourite Josh and Sam moment is in Mr Willis of Ohio. They talk about who would have taken which guy in the brawl and Charlie basically says they'd both be useless in a fight.

Post #: 98
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 9/7/2006 10:05:27 PM   
The Mighty

quote:

It wasn't them that did the version they play in the show though i forget the name, but it is good song none the less. What is everyones favourite bit of music used in WW I really like the James Taylor version of "A Change is Gonna Come" i can't find his version anywhere.

Season 7 is out on DVD on 11/9 and this is what it'll look like

Cool or what!

That is a nice cover, but are you sure it's official or just a fan made one? It's very very different to the covers of the other seasons, and there is no mention of what season it is on the cover. I would have thought they would put THE FINAL SEASON in big letters to attract more customers? But still, very nice!

Post #: 99
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 9/7/2006 10:56:40 PM   
matthewforan

I'm sure. It is the one that is on Amazon, Play and DVD.co.uk so it should be. I thought of another quote that had me holding my sides "I hate that clock" when Josh is trying to get a deal done on the hill.

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 100
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 9/7/2006 11:42:24 PM   
Ripper

Cant remember what season or episode this is, but wasnt there one where Josh and Sam try to get a fire going in the Roosevelt room (which despite leos daughters claims is named ater both teddy and fdr) but forget that none of the fireeplaces work and so end up setting it on fire instead?

I think we can all agree, history is in the past

- George Dubya Bush

Some say he only knows two things about ducks .... and both of them are wrong

Post #: 101
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 10/7/2006 1:18:34 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

That's 'The Leadership Breakfast' - probably the weakest Season 2 episode but Felicty Huffman was in it which is always good.

(in reply to Ripper)
Post #: 102
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 10/7/2006 1:22:28 AM   
The Mighty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barefoot Doctor

That's 'The Leadership Breakfast' - probably the weakest Season 2 episode but Felicty Huffman was in it which is always good.

That was actually the first episode I ever saw!

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 103
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 10/7/2006 9:49:41 AM   
matthewforan

I'm not sure what episode it was you might be right. As for the first episode i ever saw was the Shawdow of the Gunman Part 1, and it got me hooked. It was the perfect way to start watching a new TV show. And then after seeing the second part i knew this programme was going to be something special.

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 104
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 10/7/2006 11:56:29 AM   
silverado

Where are you up to now?

Post #: 105
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 10/7/2006 3:01:33 PM   
sharkboy

Here's the cover that was originally posted by Barefoot Doctor in the Season 7 thread:

And here's my comments then:

quote:

Seems like a bit of a character mix and match if you ask me.  For a start, Leo Annabeth and Josh should be with Santos, not Bartlet.  Likewise, Toby, CJ, Will and Kate should be in the Bartlet half.  I don't know what they're trying to achieve here, but I'm not sure it works with the characters in the positions they've placed them.  The colour scheme is good though - kinda fitting for the last season.  

Oh, and the version of Don't Like Mondays was performed by Tori Amos.  You can get it on her album of covers called Strange Little Girls (which also features a brilliant cover of Tom Waits' "Time")

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to silverado)
Post #: 106
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 10/7/2006 3:30:27 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

I agree that it's an unsual character mix and match, but what annoys me most is that there is no focus in the lower half - in the upper half of the photo you have everybody looking at Bartlet, but in the lower half everyone seems to be looking in different directions. Apart from that I really like the set.

And while I found 'The Leadership Breakfast' to be the weakest Season 2 episode, that's really not much of a complaint. When you have majestic episodes like 'ITSOTG', 'Galileo', 'Noel', 'SGTE, SGTJ', 'The Stackhouse Filibuster', '17 People' and 'Two Cathedrals' then something has to finish bottom of the list.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 107
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 10/7/2006 4:21:18 PM   
silverado

quote:

'Galileo',

You said it right! What a fantastic episode that is.

Post #: 108
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 10/7/2006 6:46:17 PM   
matthewforan

quote:

I agree that it's an unsual character mix and match, but what annoys me most is that there is no focus in the lower half - in the upper half of the photo you have everybody looking at Bartlet, but in the lower half everyone seems to be looking in different directions. Apart from that I really like the set.

The thing about the characters in the lower half is that they all face uncertainty in the seventh season so maybe that's why they aren't facing anyone. Or maybe i'm reading too much into it. I watched the last disc of season 4 today, definitely one of my favourite discs.

Punchdrunk RIP

Post #: 109
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 11/7/2006 12:09:55 PM   
JennieC

I've been lurking around for a while, but have discivered the WW love in this thread and have to join in...

My partner and I bought Season 1 on a whim (we couldn't find anything on the gazillion channels of Sky that we wanted to watch!), were hooked in an instant and have never looked back.  The writing is first class, the music is fantastic and what else can be said about the casting that hasn't already been said?  Personally I am a huge Whitford fan, Josh is just priceless.

Haven't seen season 7 yet, as I managed to miss the fact that More4 went straight into 7 from 6 (which I had already seen, and being a shift worker, planning regular Friday night viewing is a bit of a nightmare really....), but from reading what people are saying I am in for a treat come September.

Favourite episodes include In the Shadow of Two Gunmen, Noel and 20 hours in America (1 and 2).

"Golden - he came here from another planet, but that planet is awesome man"

Post #: 110
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 11/7/2006 1:06:20 PM   
matthewforan

quote:

ORIGINAL: JennieC

I've been lurking around for a while, but have discivered the WW love in this thread and have to join in...

My partner and I bought Season 1 on a whim (we couldn't find anything on the gazillion channels of Sky that we wanted to watch!), were hooked in an instant and have never looked back.  The writing is first class, the music is fantastic and what else can be said about the casting that hasn't already been said?  Personally I am a huge Whitford fan, Josh is just priceless.

Yeah Josh is probably my favourite character as well, although i see myself as more of a Toby (due to us having the same personality). Bradley Whitford has really proved himself as an actor and i will be interested in seeing what he does after WW. 

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to JennieC)
Post #: 111
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 11/7/2006 1:14:46 PM   
Ripper

Martin Sheen apparently once played the secretary of state and president jfk.

And the secretary of state (who was up for being VPOTUS) in the west wing is the secretary of defence in 24

President Logan from 24 once played a fairly low ranking reporter in season 4

A Hollywood administration perchance?

- George Dubya Bush

Post #: 112
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 11/7/2006 1:36:36 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

quote:

Bradley Whitford has really proved himself as an actor and i will be interested in seeing what he does after WW. 

That'll be the brand new Aaron Sorkin show, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip!

Post #: 113
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 11/7/2006 1:53:46 PM   
matthewforan

God Sorkin really likes to keep the same cast members going on his shows doesn't he. I don't know if the show sounds that good it just looks like another Sports Night (which wasn't that bad)

Punchdrunk RIP

Post #: 114
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 11/7/2006 2:07:55 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

He sure does like reusing actors - Brad Whitford, Tim Busfield, Matt Perry, Evan Handler and Felicity Huffman are all in the pilot (although Huffman is just a one off)

Personally I think the show will be amazing, a hybrid of The West Wing and Sports Night. There's a thread you might have missed with lots of details, some trailers etc:

Studio 60 Empire Thread

< Message edited by Barefoot Doctor -- 11/7/2006 2:08:50 PM >

Post #: 115
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 11/7/2006 2:23:18 PM   
matthewforan

OK i just watched the trailer and i am all turned around now. Danny was there as well, and i have full faith in Sorkin not to turn Perry into a clown like the Friends writers did. Bring it on.

Punchdrunk RIP

Post #: 116
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 11/7/2006 4:43:00 PM   
Ripper

With the ammount of established actors in the west wing, its not surprising some (and probably more in the years to come) will be in future Aaron Sorkin shows.

- George Dubya Bush

Post #: 117
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 11/7/2006 5:06:10 PM   
matthewforan

Hi i thought i should keep all you Aaron Sorkin fans informed here is another links to IMDb.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472062/

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Ripper)
Post #: 118
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 11/7/2006 5:11:25 PM   
punchdrunk

After watching the West Wing, I dont think its possible to watch a show like '24' where it takes itself so seriously and not wish they would take notes from the West Wing and have a bit of office banter, but no they try to strain every bit of drama when the plots are dramatic enough, the West Wing deal with some really important matters and takes them seriously when it needs to but alot of the time they employ the banter which i think is to a lesser extent how it is in the real place.    

(in reply to Ripper)
Post #: 119
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 11/7/2006 5:44:52 PM   
matthewforan

Me and my uncle (who is also a big WW fan) are dying to watch 24.

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for the first time.... Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI