Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for the first time....

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for the first time.... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 4/7/2006 4:21:23 PM   
Ripper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ripper

Im currently making my way through season five after buying the first six seasons and let me tell ya, it was the best 130 i ever got my mum to spend! While its hard to remember individual episodes (only seen each once), ones that stand out are in season one about the man on death row, the season one cliffhanger, 20 hours over america from season 4 and a whole host of others, but its hard spontaniously plucking them from the top of my head. Ill probably say when ive had some sleep.

Season 2 climax - 18th and Potomac and Two Cathedrals should be in there surely?   Masterful TV.

True, but tbh, a good list could almost be an actual episode by episode guide!

I think we can all agree, history is in the past

- George Dubya Bush

Some say he only knows two things about ducks .... and both of them are wrong

(in reply to Vertigo...Woo.Yay.)
Post #: 61
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 4/7/2006 4:58:52 PM   
furrybastard

So is that Rob Lowe's exit from the show in season 4? Weren't they saying they were going to give him a promotion if he lost (which was pretty much guaranteed). They never even explained why he didn't come back to the White House... this is something that has bugged me before. Too many times now they've just abandoned characters without any explanation. Sam was a major character and they seem to have just ignored the fact that he didn't come back rather than having a line of dialogue saying "Sam didn't accept the offer, he's off on holiday" or something.

(in reply to Ripper)
Post #: 62
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 4/7/2006 6:57:17 PM   
Mycroft

That's bugged me too with a few characters, although The West Wing seems to have such a huge arc that most of them come back again, just seasons later . The Charlie/Zoe thing was left for donkeys years without us knowing if they were together or not, far as I recall.

< Message edited by Mycroft -- 4/7/2006 6:58:12 PM >

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 63
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 4/7/2006 7:14:01 PM   
Ripper

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Yeah, they just sort of got togther in season one and then .... nothing until she became shaced up to that french drug taking ponce prat coward bastard son of a deposed monarchy and therefore shouldnt even exist arse hole Jean Paul in season 4

- George Dubya Bush

(in reply to Mycroft)
Post #: 64
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 5/7/2006 3:30:40 AM   
frankj

quote:

Yeah, they just sort of got togther in season one and then .... nothing until she became shaced up to that french drug taking ponce prat coward bastard son of a deposed monarchy and therefore shouldnt even exist arse hole Jean Paul in season 4

You missed "cheese-eating surrender monkey", Ripper.

I think they almost "jumped the shark" during season five - transition period after Mr Sorkin, and all that - but season six pulled it back hugely.

I'll be sad to see it go - my weekend was incomplete unless it included The West Wing (Friday), Doctor Who (Saturday), and 24 (Sunday).

And now they're all ending.
I need a tall thing to leap off.

"And if they try to stop us Seaweed, we'll call the end of a lacy pea..."

(in reply to Ripper)
Post #: 65
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 5/7/2006 11:25:23 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

So is that Rob Lowe's exit from the show in season 4? Weren't they saying they were going to give him a promotion if he lost (which was pretty much guaranteed). They never even explained why he didn't come back to the White House... this is something that has bugged me before. Too many times now they've just abandoned characters without any explanation. Sam was a major character and they seem to have just ignored the fact that he didn't come back rather than having a line of dialogue saying "Sam didn't accept the offer, he's off on holiday" or something.

There was always a question about Sam's career.  If I recall, he was offered a senior legal post in the administration if he lost (perhaps even the post that Babish held??) the California 47th.  However as you say it was never clarified.  But fret not - just buy Season 7 when it comes out and all will be revealed!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 66
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 5/7/2006 1:51:06 PM   
Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

Do you think that, during long sleepless nights, Rob Lowe ever looks at old tapes of Lyon's Den and Dr Vegas and thinks to himself "God in heaven, why the fuck did I leave The West Wing? Why God, why?!!"

"Things are going to get pretty interesting..."
"Define 'interesting'"
"Oh God, Oh God, we're all gonna die?"

If only we could harness Otis Ferry for good...
All hail Hypnotoad

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 67
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 5/7/2006 1:56:47 PM   
silverado

quote:

Do you think that, during long sleepless nights, Rob Lowe ever looks at old tapes of Lyon's Den and Dr Vegas and thinks to himself "God in heaven, why the fuck did I leave The West Wing? Why God, why?!!"

Well if he doesn't he should. 

(in reply to Vertigo...Woo.Yay.)
Post #: 68
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 5/7/2006 6:13:17 PM   
Ripper

He left the show over pay disputes. A show where he is paid per week more than most of us get in 5 years. Although they had all sorts of different pay for the actors, Sheen got about $300k per and Allison Janey got substantially less (still over 100 grand though!)

- George Dubya Bush

(in reply to silverado)
Post #: 69
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 5/7/2006 7:11:07 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: silverado

quote:

Well if he doesn't he should. 

Hehe - he certainly should.  The Lyon's Den - a pampered lawyer with a liberal core working in Washington and embroiled in politics...nice to see he neatly avoided typecasting there!

His exit only ever came across as a petulent kid throwing the toys out of the pram after it became clear that he wasn't the only "star" of the show.  A pity really, as Sam was a great character and Lowe was actually a good casting choice.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to silverado)
Post #: 70
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 5/7/2006 7:17:44 PM   
Ripper

He was originally going to be the star before they realised theyd be comminiting criminal waste of sheens talents if they had followed through with their original idea, but with Sheen becoming the natural star, he wasnt exactly relegated. In fact Id go as far to say that although Sheen is definutely the figurehead leader of the gang, the rest of the cast (mandy excluded) had played just as big a role.

- George Dubya Bush

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 71
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 5/7/2006 7:48:58 PM   
silverado

quote:

In fact Id go as far to say that although Sheen is definutely the figurehead leader of the gang, the rest of the cast (mandy excluded) had played just as big a role.

I'd agree with that. It's a shame  that Sheen and Lowe never got emmys for their performances like most of the other main cast. From what  I have seen so far of season 7 Bradley Whitford must be a serious contender for a second award.

(in reply to Ripper)
Post #: 72
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 5/7/2006 11:53:26 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: silverado

quote:

In fact Id go as far to say that although Sheen is definutely the figurehead leader of the gang, the rest of the cast (mandy excluded) had played just as big a role.

I'd agree with that. It's a shame  that Sheen and Lowe never got emmys for their performances like most of the other main cast. From what  I have seen so far of season 7 Bradley Whitford must be a serious contender for a second award.

True, but if anyone from the cast was to get the award, I'd like it to be John Spencer, in recognition of his contribution to the extremely high standards set by the show as much as for his performances (award-worthy though they are).  What better way to recognise his talents than to give him an Emmy for a Leo McGarry.  Sorkin may have created Leo, but it was Spencer who gave him life.

WWLD?

(in reply to silverado)
Post #: 73
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 6/7/2006 12:10:23 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

John Spencer did at least win an Emmy in Season 3, but Martin Sheen still hasn't won anything which is a travesty. A posthumous award would be nice, but I think the best thing the Emmys could do is give them the Best Ensemble award. Individually they're all fantastic, but together they are phenomenal.

From Season 7, I think both Bradley Whitford and Alan Alda are most deserving of awards. But everyone else was still in top form!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 74
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 6/7/2006 11:23:49 AM   
silverado

Do they have an Emmy for best ensemble? If they do I can't believe The West Wing hasn't won it before.

< Message edited by silverado -- 6/7/2006 12:00:26 PM >

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 75
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 6/7/2006 4:51:25 PM   
Ripper

Doubt it, but yes, ww would have won it hands down many times by now. My faveourite is still leo, but now cj is moving up in my estimation too

- George Dubya Bush

(in reply to silverado)
Post #: 76
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 6/7/2006 5:13:30 PM   
Ripper

west wings is up for a few but of special note is martin sheen for jed bartlett. faces some stiff competion though

- George Dubya Bush

(in reply to Ripper)
Post #: 77
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 6/7/2006 5:32:17 PM   
silverado

Well it would be great for Sheen to get one at last.

Well done to Allison Janney. I make it 6 nominations out of 7 years with 4 wins so far. Janney's undoubtedly the main actress in the show but I'd like Janel Moloney to have been recognised as well.

(in reply to Ripper)
Post #: 78
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 6/7/2006 8:21:00 PM   
Ripper

Who got the nod the year Janney didnt?

- George Dubya Bush

(in reply to silverado)
Post #: 79
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 6/7/2006 8:38:01 PM   
silverado

Allison Janney won Best Supporting Actress 2000 and 2001 (seasons 1&2), then lead actress in 2002 for seaon 3 and 2004 for season 5. Lead Actress in 2004 went to Edie Falco of The Sopranos. Stockard Channing won supporting actress in 2003(Also nominated 00,01,04,05). Janel Moloney (02,04) and the lovely Mary-Louise Parker (02) have also been nominated for supporting actress but didn't win.

< Message edited by silverado -- 6/7/2006 9:02:08 PM >

(in reply to Ripper)
Post #: 80
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 8/7/2006 7:39:48 PM   
matthewforan

Hi, I tried to set up a couple of West Wing discussions but they got shut off. So i was just wondering where everyone is up to in West Wing just in case I spoil it for someone. Because that is something i would hate to do to any WW fan. I also hope that no one talks about the very end on series 7 because that would suck as More4 is still going through it. Why didn't they keep Mary-Louise Parker (Amy) in the cast she was great.

< Message edited by matthewforan -- 21/2/2009 10:40:55 AM >

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Underscore)
Post #: 81
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 8/7/2006 10:22:41 PM   
silverado

Hi matthew. I already replied to your other threads but i'll do so again. I'm at more4 pace for season 7 but others reading this thread aren't anything like that far in. I agree about Mary-Louise Parker though, I was really surprised when i looked her up after first seeing her at how old she is.

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 82
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 9/7/2006 12:28:04 AM   
The Mighty

quote:

ORIGINAL: matthewforan

Hi, i tried to set up a couple of west wing discussions but they got shut off. So i was just wondering where everyone is up to in West Wing just incase i spoil it for someone. Because that is something i would hate to happen to me. I hope that no-one talks about the very end on series 7 because that would suck for the people who have not seen it. Why didn't they keep Mary-Louise Parker (Amy) in the cast she was mmmmmmm.

I'm just about to start season 5. I guess you can use this thread to discuss any of the seasons, except season 7 which already has it's own thread. Just make sure you clearly put spoiler warnings when you are discussing anything which might ruin the show for somebody. This thread was created by someone who was about to start watching The West Wing, so it is primarily for those who are watching the show. Even if you are posting information about season 1, just try and put a warning and it all should be fine.

I believe myself, Underscore, and Jame2183 are the ones who are watching the show for the first time and posting about it!

Post #: 83
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 9/7/2006 11:32:37 AM   
matthewforan

Well that's cool then, everything bar the 7th season. Am I the only one that thinks that if the show wasn't ending that John Cusack would have been perfect for WW. Is there anyone that is still on the first 3 or 4 series, i just don't want to spoil it for anyone.

< Message edited by matthewforan -- 21/2/2009 10:39:27 AM >

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 84
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 9/7/2006 12:47:56 PM   
The Mighty

quote:

Well that's cool then, everything bar the 7th season. I'm i the only one that thinks that if the show wasn't ending that John Cusack would have been perfect for WW. Is there anyone that is still on the first 3 or 4 series, i just don't want to spoil it for anyone.

Just use spoiler warnings! So before you write about anything about season 3, write "season 3 spoiler below" and then leave a few spaces. Using invsiotext might also help.

Post #: 85
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 9/7/2006 1:55:58 PM   
matthewforan

Alright that's cool. So what is everyones favourite episodes mine have to be;

The Pilot - When they can't find the room, and when Josh and Sam follow each other "I was following you"
The Shadow of the Gunman Parts 1 and 2 - I love the flashback scenes
20 Hours in America Parts 1 and 2 - Some of the funniest moments of any of the series "I'll have Jews for the money stuff" is a great line.
The Portland Trip - Go IRISH
Two Cathedrals - The bit at the end is classic West Wing
Bartlet for America - I love establishing episodes in TV shows and this makes you love the characters even more, if that's possible.
Posse Comitatus - A brilliant episode, Jeff Buckley at the end is a great touch.

< Message edited by matthewforan -- 21/2/2009 10:41:53 AM >

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 86
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 9/7/2006 4:29:55 PM   
Ripper

Halfway through the fifth season here, although by this time next month (probably sooner) ill have finished season 6.

Wont get to see season 7 until christmas though

- George Dubya Bush

Post #: 87
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 9/7/2006 4:32:02 PM   
Ripper

quote:

20 Hours in America Parts 1 and 2 - Some of the funniest moments of any of the series "I'll have Jews for the money stuff" is a great line.

Any show with a Boomtown Rats song is obviously going to be up in my estimation!

- George Dubya Bush

Post #: 88
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 9/7/2006 4:45:21 PM   
matthewforan

It wasn't them that did the version they play in the show though i forget the name, but it is good song none the less. What is everyones favourite bit of music used in WW I really like the James Taylor version of "A Change is Gonna Come" i can't find his version anywhere.

Season 7 is out on DVD on 11/9 and this is what it'll look like

Cool or what!

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Ripper)
Post #: 89
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 9/7/2006 5:09:40 PM   
silverado

Thats a very cool cover. Best one so far I'd say.

Not sure about the music. Hallelujah as you say, Massive Attack in Commencement or Brothers In Arms in Two Cathedrals. Don't especially like Dire Straits but it works really well for that episode.

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for the first time.... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI