Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for the first time....

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for the first time.... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 12/2/2006 8:01:22 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

Mighty, what scene are you talking about? Abbey really is great. I love the scene in 2.13 where Abbey is sitting in the kitchen and talks to Jed.

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 31
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 12/2/2006 10:38:33 PM   
The Mighty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barefoot Doctor

Mighty, what scene are you talking about? Abbey really is great. I love the scene in 2.13 where Abbey is sitting in the kitchen and talks to Jed.

Spoilers for episode 2.14Ö

I was talking about the scene where Abby yells and Jed in the bed room, Abby confronts Jed about running for a second year, Ainsleys second meeting with the President and Jed getting extremely pissed about his men in the Congo. All Brilliant stuff!

Leo: How you doing, Ainsley?
Ainsley: I'm concerned about peeing on your carpet.
Leo: Ok. Well, now I am, too.

And it wasnít just this episode. It is something I constantly do when watching The West Wing!

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 32
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 13/2/2006 12:02:12 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

That's a really good scene between Jed and Abbey, and anything with Ainsley is gold.

I'm really envious of Underscore. He's only on Season 2, loads more goodness to go and I'll only ever see 10 new episodes of the show.

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 33
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 13/2/2006 12:12:28 AM   
The Mighty

This show is incredible. I just watched episode 2.16, Somebody's Going to Emergency, Somebody's Going to Jail. It was fantastic. Some quick question, does every season have a "Cheese Day" episode, will Zoe be back any time soon, and when does the show start to suck?

On with episode 17...

< Message edited by The Mighty -- 13/2/2006 12:13:40 AM >

Post #: 34
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 13/2/2006 12:49:28 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Mighty

This show is incredible. I just watched episode 2.16, Somebody's Going to Emergency, Somebody's Going to Jail. It was fantastic. Some quick question, does every season have a "Cheese Day" episode, will Zoe be back any time soon, and when does the show start to suck?

On with episode 17...

Spoilers for all the questions you asked:

The only 'Cheese days' are in Season 1 and 2.

Zoey returns in Season 4.

The show takes a slight drop in quality in Season 3. It's still fantastic but the show was really affected by September 11th. It picks up again by the end of the season and the greatness continues to the end of Season 4. When Sorkin leaves the quality drops to it's lowest at any point. However, it's still a good show, but it becomes slower and the characters change. It's back to appointment television now though (12 episodes into Season 7).

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 35
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 13/2/2006 1:30:00 AM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

Glad to see more people are getting into the show and enjoying it. The episodes names in posts makes me want to rewatch the DVDs. Can't deny I'm missing the show at the moment, roll on early March when downloading shall commence once more. 

You're in the basement because they're afraid of you, of your relentlessness and because they know that they could drop you in the middle of the desert, and tell you the truth is out there, and you'd ask them for a shovel!

Post #: 36
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 17/2/2006 11:28:17 AM   
matthewforan

Best.Show.Ever.

< Message edited by matthewforan -- 29/3/2007 2:27:40 PM >

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Underscore)
Post #: 37
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 24/2/2006 10:23:51 PM   
The Mighty

So I finished Season 2 a few weeks ago. Not much to say except I loved every second of it. 10/10

Spoilers For S3. E1

I just started Season 3. Isaac And Ishmael was phenomenal. It was just the perfect 40 minutes of television. That episode showed how comfortable Iíve gotten with all these characters. Just watching them all sit in a room and discuss terrorism was amazingly interesting. Iím starting to feel I could watch them do anything and be thrilled. I remember hearing some slightly bad things about this episode. Was it not well received when it aired?  By the way... I love C.J

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 38
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 24/2/2006 10:34:15 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

quote:

So I finished Season 2 a few weeks ago. Not much to say except I loved every second of it. 10/10

Spoilers For S3. E1

I just started Season 3. Isaac And Ishmael was phenomenal. It was just the perfect 40 minutes of television. That episode showed how comfortable I've gotten with all these characters. Just watching them all sit in a room and discuss terrorism was amazingly interesting. I'm starting to feel I could watch them do anything and be thrilled. I remember hearing some slightly bad things about this episode. Was it not well received when it aired?  By the way... I love C.J

'Isaac and Ishmael' wasn't well received at all. People thought (and Sorkin himself admitted) it was a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to 9/11. I liked it enough, and I really could watch the characters do anything.

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 39
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 24/2/2006 11:02:09 PM   
The Mighty

I also love Joey Lucas! Is she in this season, or other seasons, anymore? What I love about the situation at the end of S2 and the start of S3 is that you can really sense its importance. In most shows, the president running again and admitting he has MS would just be another plot point. In this show, I feels like its actually an important thing. Its hard to explain, but these characters have quickly become real to me. What happens to them feels like it is not only important for the show, but also important to me. Confusing, I know, but nevertheless true.

Post #: 40
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 24/2/2006 11:13:45 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

Yes, Joey Lucas appears. And she is awesome! I wonder if Marlee Matlin was always intended for the part, or if the original plan was for someone who wasn't deaf to do the role.

The events do truly feel important. And the repurcussions are felt even when I'm watching now, in Season 7.

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 41
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 16/4/2006 11:50:04 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

Underscore, how goes your West Wing viewing? I figure you must be on to Season 7 by now!

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 42
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 16/4/2006 12:01:30 PM   
RuffKut

quote:

quote:

Other episodes you have to look forward to in Season 2: Galileo; Noel; Somebody's Going To Emergency, Somebody's Going To Jail; Two Cathedrals. Those are probably the best of what is to come, but the rest are all uniformly excellent.

Yep, that episode is beyond brilliant.

Seconded!

Myself and Mrs RuffKut have just got into West Wing ourselves, and we've just watched Noel. It's my favourite episode so far...that Bernard guy who runs the tour is fantastically funny.

Diane, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies...

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 43
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 16/4/2006 1:45:52 PM   
Mycroft

"Your necklace is a monument to bourgeois taste."

That guys in a great episode of Frasier too, I thought the accent was put on but it turns out he really is that snooty.  I managed to get through all seasons of The West Wing in a matter of weeks after ignoring it for years, there's nothing else that comes close to it. Sad to have it end with the form its on now, I wish the first season had been Josh and co at the start of the first term rather than almost a year in, would have been great to see the same with Santos.

(in reply to RuffKut)
Post #: 44
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 16/4/2006 1:52:25 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mycroft

"Your necklace is a monument to bourgeois taste."

That guys in a great episode of Frasier too, I thought the accent was put on but it turns out he really is that snooty.† I managed to get through all seasons of The West Wing in a matter of weeks after ignoring it for years, there's nothing else that comes close to it. Sad to have it end with the form its on now, I wish the first season had been Josh and co at the start of the first term rather than almost a year in, would have been great to see the same with Santos.

Great Frasier episode - the one where Frasier and Lilith go his house to try and get Freddie into the school? Then Frasier ruins his chair and they make him a turkey (and Niles and Martin basically almost kill Freddie). Genius.

Beginning the show with Bartlet taking office would have been interesting, but the storylines wouldn't have been as good. Usually a new President's first few months in office are non-eventful, with even the opposition being nice. But when we first see TWW that goodwill period is truly over. And I like that everyone is already settled and knows their job.

In saying that, I do love the flashback episode ('Debate Camp') where we see the few weeks before Bartlet's inauguration and the few days after it.

(in reply to Mycroft)
Post #: 45
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 15/6/2006 5:24:51 PM   
The Mighty

I wrote a really long post about my love for this show, but I took too long and the session timed out!  I will attempt to write it again.

Ok, so I finished watching the first 4 seasons of The West Wing. And it was fantastic stuff, some of the best TV I have ever seen. The writing, acting, plot, everything was just perfect. I would give every season 10/10.

My favorite character is still CJ. The episode with her father just blew me away. It was sad to see Sam go, but his replacement has been just as good. Will Bailey is a lot like Jeremy from Sports Night, and that isn't a bad thing. And the end of season 4. Wow... what a fantastic way to end a season.

Spoiler below. Highlight to read

The music playing while Chloe was kidnapped, and the agents body was found, the editing was just fantastic. Also, Leo running to inform the President, and the introduction to John Goodman!  And, Toby is not sad! He is warm! Ok, he may be sad but that moment just broke my heart!

Now, I have a problem. Should I watch season 5 and onward? I've heard a lot of bad things about Sorkins departure. There are some things I could handle, but I don't think I could sit back and watch characters that I love change and do things totally out of character. And I also don't want the humor to go. I've realized that I can handle not knowing things. I'm sure Chloe is going to be alright. I know that Leo dies, and Josh and Donna get together, and Sam comes back, and I'm fine just knowing these things and not watching them if it means not having to watch these characters change into people that they aren't. It's even worse when you hear the actors say that what is happening in the show is wrong.

So what should I do? Is it worth continuing to watch the show, or should I let The West Wing end here?

P.S. Anyone who has not had a chance you watch this show, go out and buy the DVD now! You won't regret it!

Post #: 46
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 15/6/2006 5:36:59 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

You've got to keep watching. It's not quite the same, but it's still better than anything on TV. Just being able to watch that group of actors do anything is a pleasure.

And it's Zoey, not Chloe

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 47
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 15/6/2006 5:38:32 PM   
The Mighty

quote:

You've got to keep watching. It's not quite the same, but it's still better than anything on TV. Just being able to watch that group of actors do anything is a pleasure.

And it's Zoey, not Chloe

Ah yes, I am an idiot.

Post #: 48
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 20/6/2006 10:20:23 AM   
sharkboy

Just echoing BD's advice - you really do need to keep watching.  Season 5 will be disappointing after the Sorkin days, that much is inevitable, but there are still some great moments (The Supremes is a particular highpoint, with a great performance by Glenn Close).  Unfortunately there are also all-time lows (they followed The Supremes with Access, easily the worst episode of all 7 seasons).  It also becomes more soapy than before, with a move away from issue-based plots towards character driven ones instead.  Though as BD says, with such a great cast of characters this isn't necessarily as big a negative as it would have been on other shows.  Bad WW is still head and shoulders above most TV!

Season 6 starts to right the wrongs of Season 5.  In fact, it seems that Wells actually listened to the criticism he was getting from fans and critics and started to address the concerns being raised.  Some of the plot lines were still outlandish (middle east peace?), but the characters had started to seem familiar again.  6 also offers a refreshingly different slant to American politics as the race begins to be Bartlet's successor, and the inclusion in the cast of Jimmy Smits and (especially) Alan Alda just strengthens an already outstanding ensemble.

Season 7 managed to do what two years previously I had written off as impossible - it came oh so close to hitting the lofty heights of the Sorkin era.  Great storylines, superb performances and brave moves from the producers (the Debate episode was broadcast live for added authenticity) kept me riveted to the seat for the entire season.  Of course, the whole year was overshadowed by the tragic loss of the late great Jon Spencer, but what better testimony to the mans huge talent than his performances in the last season of the show that came to define him?  Josh says it best - "Thanks, boss."

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 49
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 3/7/2006 2:43:57 PM   
silverado

I'm new here and just want to add my love for The West Wing. I thought there might be more talk of the greatest show of all time but this is all I've found so far. You have to keep watching after season 4. Season 5 maybe a bit hit and miss but 6 is better and 7 has been brilliant so far. (i'm at more4 pace). It's going to be really sad when it ends in a few weeks.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 50
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 3/7/2006 3:57:42 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

Great sig silverado - the good old days!

(in reply to silverado)
Post #: 51
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 3/7/2006 4:15:40 PM   
silverado

quote:

Great sig silverado - the good old days!

Thanks. From the really old days. Though I have to say I'm really enjoying the new ones too.

Post #: 52
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 3/7/2006 4:54:03 PM   
The Mighty

Ok, Season 5 will be the next DVD that I order!

(in reply to silverado)
Post #: 53
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 3/7/2006 4:59:56 PM   
furrybastard

I've watched the first four seasons as well and while I don't think it's the greatest show ever made, it is quite an entertaining watch. Season 4 would probably be my favourite as there's very little cheese and some great stortylines. And look - character consistency! The finale was fantastic as well, probably the best cliffhanger from all four seasons.

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 54
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 3/7/2006 5:06:51 PM   
silverado

I agree about season 4. If I had to pick a favourite season that would be the one I'd go for. I think Commencement might have been a better finale though with 25 to start sason 5.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 55
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 3/7/2006 5:36:18 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: silverado

I agree about season 4. If I had to pick a favourite season that would be the one I'd go for. I think Commencement might have been a better finale though with 25 to start sason 5.

True. I kind of saw those last two episodes as one, extra long episode. I'm not sure that's how they were aired in the US though.

(in reply to silverado)
Post #: 56
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 4/7/2006 4:58:22 AM   
Ripper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mycroft

After a while you'll get really attached to the characters, some of most consistent writing and acting on TV. Except Mandy who comes in on the 2nd or 3rd episode, she is just bloody annoying. She's unceremoniously dropped at the end of the season though 

Did she ever have a purpose?

I think we can all agree, history is in the past

- George Dubya Bush

Some say he only knows two things about ducks .... and both of them are wrong

(in reply to Mycroft)
Post #: 57
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 4/7/2006 5:04:06 AM   
Ripper

Im currently making my way through season five after buying the first six seasons and let me tell ya, it was the best £130 i ever got my mum to spend! While its hard to remember individual episodes (only seen each once), ones that stand out are in season one about the man on death row, the season one cliffhanger, 20 hours over america from season 4 and a whole host of others, but its hard spontaniously plucking them from the top of my head. Ill probably say when ive had some sleep.

I think we can all agree, history is in the past

- George Dubya Bush

Some say he only knows two things about ducks .... and both of them are wrong

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 58
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 4/7/2006 9:06:32 AM   
Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ripper

Im currently making my way through season five after buying the first six seasons and let me tell ya, it was the best £130 i ever got my mum to spend! While its hard to remember individual episodes (only seen each once), ones that stand out are in season one about the man on death row, the season one cliffhanger, 20 hours over america from season 4 and a whole host of others, but its hard spontaniously plucking them from the top of my head. Ill probably say when ive had some sleep.

Season 2 climax - 18th and Potomac and Two Cathedrals should be in there surely?   Masterful TV.

quote:

ORIGINAL:Sharkboy

Some of the plot lines were still outlandish (middle east peace?)

In fairness, I don't think you could have 7 years of a series like The West Wing without it dealing with the Middle East at some point. And it's fantasy politics - the stories suggest what could be done, rather than what has been done.

quote:

ORIGINAL:Sharkboy

Season 7 managed to do what two years previously I had written off as impossible - it came oh so close to hitting the lofty heights of the Sorkin era.  Great storylines, superb performances and brave moves from the producers

Indeed - particularly the second half of the season when the campaign really kicks into gear.

It still never wholly recovered from losing Sorkin - I'm rewatching season 4 at the moment and there's just an energy behind the dialogue which it never got back ater that.

"Things are going to get pretty interesting..."
"Define 'interesting'"
"Oh God, Oh God, we're all gonna die?"

If only we could harness Otis Ferry for good...
All hail Hypnotoad

(in reply to Ripper)
Post #: 59
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 4/7/2006 11:44:36 AM   
RuffKut

Myself and Mrs RuffKut are currently making our way through Season Four...it's sad to think the from now on it's going to be Sorkin-less. But I'm looking forward to the finale that you guys have been hinting to.

Diane, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies...

(in reply to Vertigo...Woo.Yay.)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for the first time.... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI