Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The West Wing Appreciation Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> The West Wing Appreciation Thread Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The West Wing Appreciation Thread - 20/1/2006 11:55:58 PM   
Underscore

Hmm. Ok.

About a week and a half ago, I randomly blind bought the West Wing Season 1 from Amazon and am just about to see it. Now, I've never ever seen an episode of it but have bought it purely off it's high crediblity status from critics and people on this board for example.

Thing is, I don't know whether I'll like it or not. The reason I've put off watching it for a week is that I don't know quite what to expect other than it's set in the White House, it's about the President and behind the scenes and that it has Martin Sheen and Rob Lowe in it.

So for as long as I can keep this up, I'm going to detail what I think of the show as it goes along and if I'm liking it or not. The big fear for me is if I get too addicted to it because quite frankly I don't quite have anymore cash to spend on more boxsets. It really is one big adventure into the unknown for me so it's going to interesting to one degree finding out just what the show is like in the first place.

So, what are people's opinions on the show? Does everyone think it is good or are there people out there who think it's mediocre? Is it dated or just as fresh as it was originally and am I in for a treat here seeing it without any prior knowledge for the first time?

I'm just going to unwrap the cellophane and slam in the first episode and see what I think of it. Here goes!!!

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 15/11/2006 6:01:07 PM >

'Josh: Couldn't you just drop me off the Washington Monument? Bartlet: It's Christmas Josh!, no reason why we can't do both!
Post #: 1
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 21/1/2006 12:17:12 AM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

Welcome aboard, you won't regret it, you're definitely in for a treat. It's one of the best TV shows ever created, the writing, acting, humour, the characters...
Like yourself I bought the DVDs on blind purchase mainly because of people on the old forum and the general reputation of the show. You've a lot to look forward to, the characters really define it, whatever about the issues, you care about the characters although they (John Welles!) sort of fuck that up a bit from season 5.

< Message edited by Erlenmeyer Flask -- 21/1/2006 12:20:19 AM >

You're in the basement because they're afraid of you, of your relentlessness and because they know that they could drop you in the middle of the desert, and tell you the truth is out there, and you'd ask them for a shovel!

(in reply to Underscore)
Post #: 2
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 21/1/2006 12:47:12 AM   
furrybastard

Its a good show but if you've seen that sketch from Family Guy where Chris gueststars in an episode (), you'll probably realise that it can be a bit too self-aware and silly (the President playing basketball with his staff and talking smack to them!)

Its wish-fulfillment television. They overdo the "camera in front of the actor as they hurry around the White House, talkingveryquickly and making witticisms on the side" schtick and it smacks of cheese at times, but it is a very good and enjoyable show.

(in reply to Erlenmeyer Flask)
Post #: 3
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 21/1/2006 12:51:56 AM   
Underscore

Ok, I've just seen Episode 1.

It's good. I didn't fall in love with it but it's very well directed with some brilliant camera shots, I thought the acting looked great especially from Rob Lowe of all people and it was exceptionally well done especially in the writing department. What surprised me the most from someone who had never seen the show was how funny it was, being quite humourous on numerous occasions. It had a fast pace and though I don't think it's a compusively addictive show I do think it's very interesting.

Time to slam on Episode 2 I think...

'Josh: Couldn't you just drop me off the Washington Monument? Bartlet: It's Christmas Josh!, no reason why we can't do both!

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 4
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 21/1/2006 1:06:51 AM   
Mycroft

After a while you'll get really attached to the characters, some of most consistent writing and acting on TV. Except Mandy who comes in on the 2nd or 3rd episode, she is just bloody annoying. She's unceremoniously dropped at the end of the season though 

(in reply to Underscore)
Post #: 5
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 21/1/2006 1:44:37 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Underscore

Ok, I've just seen Episode 1.

It's good. I didn't fall in love with it but it's very well directed with some brilliant camera shots, I thought the acting looked great especially from Rob Lowe of all people and it was exceptionally well done especially in the writing department. What surprised me the most from someone who had never seen the show was how funny it was, being quite humourous on numerous occasions. It had a fast pace and though I don't think it's a compusively addictive show I do think it's very interesting.

Time to slam on Episode 2 I think...

You're in for one hell of a ride my friend. I love the pilot now that I've seen every episode of the show, but for me I didn't fall in love with the programme until episode 3, "Proportional Response". It's a continuation of where the second episode ends and is just brilliance.

I understand furrybastard's point about it being a bit too 'knowing', but I just don't care. For me, there's never been a better television show.

Yeah, you wouldn't expect the humour but it's actually one of the funniest shows around (actual comedies included).

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on episode 2.

(in reply to Underscore)
Post #: 6
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 21/1/2006 2:09:49 AM   
Underscore

Okay, Episode 2.

It's getting better or should I say I'm getting to know the characters more and therefore it's getting better. I thought Rob Lowe was the highlight of the first episode but I think with more screen time than the brief cameo in episode 1, Martin Sheen really shines. He seems perfectly cast and I've only seen two episodes. I can easily see why the show is liked, it's very well done and is always flowing, there's not time not to be bored because somethings always happening, people going places and events happening. I think because of this, the episodes just fly by which tells me something.

Yeah, I liked this episode more. Hopefully the more I get into the characters and their personalities then the more I'll like the show.

And yes, that Mandy women is annoying. Only bad thing in it, so shame I have to put up with another 20 or so more episodes with her, hurray if I decide to continue then there's no more of her.

And usually any television show takes around 3-6 episodes to get me hook, line and sinker so I think the next 3 or 4 episodes will decide whether I'll be watching Season 7 in the future.

Here goes again, another foray to the West Wing....

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 7
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 21/1/2006 2:45:15 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

Yeah, to fully enjoy the show you have to love the characters, which is why I find the pilot so enjoyable when I rewatch.

In my eyes the best character is Toby Zeigler. They're all great though, and characters like Leo McGarry and Jed Bartlet will go down in TV history.

What I loved about episode 3 was the different side we saw to the President. A friend was killed and he is furious and hurt. His situation room scenes in the episode are a thing of beauty. As is the scene between Leo and Bartlet in the Oval. Hell, there's even a pissed off Sam!

(in reply to Underscore)
Post #: 8
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 21/1/2006 9:53:13 AM   
riversbend

West Wing is top.  And you can always rent online if you don't have the cash to buy further box sets.  It's a little frustrating only being able to watch four at a time, but better than having to wait for a whole week between eps.  And patience is a virtue. Isn't it? 

The pattern is not set. It is fluid and constantly changing.
But it will be worked out in beauty in the end.

Someone once said I was the thinking woman's man. I was just like, I hope every woman is thinking.

Beep... Perfect score... Gold star.

Post #: 9
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 21/1/2006 10:21:41 AM   
sharkboy

Underscore, I envy you, I really do.  I'd love to be in that position again - coming to the show fresh-faced, not really knowing what to expect and discovering the brilliance for the first time.

Sheen's cameo at the end of the pilot was because the original plan was to have the president as a cameo figure only and feature instead on the staffers.  But as it became clear how much of a waste of an actor like Sheen and a character like Bartlet that would have been, he was quickly moved centre stage instead.

Since it was a blind purchase, you'll no doubt watch the entire series anyway, but I guarantee that by the time you get to the end of the 3rd disc you'll be trawling the net for a good price for season 2.  And if you get to the end of season 2, I guarantee you'll be in for the long ride to the end of the show

I'd agree with BD on one point - Toby, the soul and the conscience of the administration, is the greatest thing about WW

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to riversbend)
Post #: 10
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 21/1/2006 12:08:01 PM   
The Mighty

The first season of The West Wing is the best first season of any show I've seen. Yes, even better then the first season of 24. While it does take a few, maybe two or three, episodes to get into, the show is of such a high standard that you'll be glad you watched. Everything, and I mean everything, about the first season is near perfect. The characters are some of the best in a drama. Personally, I'm a huge fan of CJ. Every actor delivers a fantastic performance episode to episode.  I know this has been said before, but the writing is like music. Sometimes I don't even understand what they are saying, but man they say it well. But, the best thing about Season 1 is how funny it is. Seriously, sometimes I laugh more in an episode of The West Wing then I do in an episode of Family Guy, or Scrubs. The first season of this show is gold. Treasure it!!

I'm currently making my way through the Second Season, and its turning out to be just as good as the first. So keep watching. When you're done with the season, I'll add more detailed thoughts. I don't want to ruin it for you!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 11
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 21/1/2006 12:10:24 PM   
James2183

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy
Underscore, I envy you, I really do.  I'd love to be in that position again - coming to the show fresh-faced, not really knowing what to expect and discovering the brilliance for the first time.

Me too Sharky. I remember you recommending it to me and not knowing what to expect. I never thought it would go on to become my favourite TV show of all time.

Sure I have only seen up to Season 4 (The Sorkin years) but by god the first two seasons are some of the best TV you are ever likely to see.

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 12
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 21/1/2006 12:35:10 PM   
The Mighty

quote:

And yes, that Mandy women is annoying. Only bad thing in it, so shame I have to put up with another 20 or so more episodes with her, hurray if I decide to continue then there's no more of her.

I never understood the Mandy hate. After hearing she only lasted one season, I looked for reasons to dislike her, but never found any. I thought she was just as good as the rest of them. I can understand why Sorkin wrote her out, in a big cast she was the one character who had no where else to go, but I always liked her, especially when she had her own story line near the end of the season.

(in reply to Underscore)
Post #: 13
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 21/1/2006 1:12:14 PM   
Underscore

Wow, thanks for all the feedback. Cheers, people

Again, yes Episode 3 and I'm getting more and more into this.

I thought it was another great episode and one which demostrated the excellent writing shown but also the impact that Sheen has on the show. If you are right in saying that they were to keep Sheen as merely a cameo each episode, the show wouldn't be the same I don't think. And that's why I think the pilot works so well in some way, it focuses so much on the other characters that it gives them time to get ground before Sheen comes in and powerhouses it. I'm not going to say the acting has improved for the rest though, I think it was there from the start - looking back the pilot seems so strong because it doesn't feel like the pilot. With Episode 3, I'm starting to warm to certain characters and starting to actually know their names - I'll be honest, I'd didn't know half the people they were talking to in the first two episodes because of that reason, but Josh I think I like the most, he's got a vunerability which kinda warms you to him. Sam and the President himself have grown on me hugely as well. I thought there were some top notch scenes in this episode, especially the one with the meeting with the Military and the bombing targets and the scene where the President is a litlle stressed to say the least at the end was terrific. And when you have scenes and acting on display like that then I can see why you have many Seasons more of the West Wing.

Yeah, I'm not one to usually watch dramas and that kind of sort. My TV collection is mainly based up on comedy (Seinfeld etc), followed by alot of 24 and the odd sci-fi (Firefly) and the odd crime show (Murder One, bypassed to watch West Wing) so I don't know, this seems quite refreshing to watch in some ways. So I would say in some sense I'm savouring it already in some sense of the word. But I think the show has got me, if only on the tiniest hook imaginable - I do want to watch another episode though I'm not desperate for it. But the hook might just be getting bigger so I don't know....

I'll get on to Episode 4 when I have some free time soon. Guaranteed to be good!

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 14
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 21/1/2006 1:21:18 PM   
TobiasFunke

I've just finished watching season 4 and what a doozy that ending was!  "You are dismissed, Mr. President".  Like 24, I never stop being surprised by West Wing, even the episodes after Aaron Sorkin left. The first two seasons are fantastic, especially 'Two Cathedrals', my all-time favourite episode. Its amazing that Sorkin managed to write, co-write and oversee the creation of close to 100 episodes, each of which has more character, drama and humour than a whole year of lesser shows. An episode of West Wing is like watching a short play, and the White House staff portrayed onscreen are infinitely more likeable than the real life Bush administration!

Bill Maher: Herbert Hoover was a shitty President but even he didn't concede an entire metropolis to rising water and snakes!

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 15
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 21/1/2006 1:23:59 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Mighty

quote:

I never understood the Mandy hate. After hearing she only lasted one season, I looked for reasons to dislike her, but never found any. I thought she was just as good as the rest of them. I can understand why Sorkin wrote her out, in a big cast she was the one character who had no where else to go, but I always liked her, especially when she had her own story line near the end of the season.

The scene that made me hate Mandy was when Toby told her about the homless vet in 'In Excelsis Deo' and when Mandy realised he didn't know the guy she said, 'so what do you care?'. I never felt she was part of the team. Sorkin realised early on that she wasn't the right mix and barely included her. She didn't (intentionally) share the idealism the rest of the team did, and she didn't fit because of that.

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 16
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 21/1/2006 7:21:46 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I'm currently re-watching series one for the first time in over a year and its great stuff. I'm one of the few that still thinks WW was on top form during series 5, but even so it falls behind series 1 and 2. Some of the best TV I've ever seen, with a bunch of superbly written characters played by actors at the top of their game.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 17
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 21/1/2006 8:09:14 PM   
Spider

quote:

ORIGINAL: TobiasFunke

I've just finished watching season 4 and what a doozy that ending was!  "You are dismissed, Mr. President".  Like 24, I never stop being surprised by West Wing, even the episodes after Aaron Sorkin left. The first two seasons are fantastic, especially 'Two Cathedrals', my all-time favourite episode. Its amazing that Sorkin managed to write, co-write and oversee the creation of close to 100 episodes, each of which has more character, drama and humour than a whole year of lesser shows. An episode of West Wing is like watching a short play, and the White House staff portrayed onscreen are infinitely more likeable than the real life Bush administration!

Can I suggest you put a spoiler at the start of your post, I haven't seen Season 4, so I don't know whether it is relevant, but I'm pretty sure it is.

Rudi Manchego's Simple Rustic Wisdom:
If you look at a pebble, you will see your own face

Howard Moon: Fusion Minstrel Vince Noir: Gothic Fairy. The Boosh is Loose and it's coming at you like a shark with knees!

(in reply to TobiasFunke)
Post #: 18
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 21/1/2006 8:39:10 PM   
furrybastard

Me too, I've only got season one

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 19
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 11/2/2006 5:13:05 PM   
Mycroft

Up to Season 6 Spoilers

Been working my way from season 1 up to season 6, first 4 seasons were superb, 5 was pants until the a few before the end. Season 6 starts well, hope it holds pace. Why oh why did they make CJ chief of staff? Surely she has the least experience out of any of them? What's the reason for the Leo storyline? Did John Spencer want to cut down on his commitment?

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 20
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 11/2/2006 5:23:46 PM   
potus

I fell in love at episode six: The Crackpots and These Women. Just about my favourite 45-minutes of television, ever.

"But what I say to you, Glasgow, is could an invisible cloud of shit-smelling gas with its own Channel 4 show be any less funny than the Friday Night Project?"

(in reply to Mycroft)
Post #: 21
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 11/2/2006 5:52:06 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

The Crackpots and These Women truly is a fantastic episode.

It manages to perfectly balance the dramatic with the funny - you have CJ meeting with the Pluie people, wanting a wolves only expressway, Sam meeting with Ted from Scrubs and Leo's crackpot speech, all of which are hilarious.

Then you have the tension between Toby and the President, with Toby learning he was second choice for the job.

And of course you have Josh getting his NSC card, and being all dazed. This leads to a great psychiatrists scene and Josh listening to Ave Maria.

Another great bit I just remembered - President Bartlet telling everyone that Zoey is coming down and he's making chilli. No one is enthused until he points out the 'big seal on the carpet'.

(in reply to potus)
Post #: 22
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 11/2/2006 6:23:20 PM   
Underscore

Hello again.

Yes, I'll admit it. I'm hooked. So hooked that I'm already bought and watching Season 2. Yep, I have now seen Season 1 of the West Wing!!!

To give a bit of a conclusion to what I was writing before, I'll just add my thoughts such as my favourite episodes, moments, feelings that have changed since the start of the season and other stuff.

Yeah, I thought 'These Crackpots and These Women' was very very good, I had a soft spot for 'Mr Willis of Ohio' with the bar scene and the very well played out ending with Toby looking out for Mr Willis' vote. 'Take This Sabbath Day' was a very good episode, I lived the way the episode played out, you realise that the 3 chances Bartlett had, to make his decision to save the guy was in fact the narrative structure of the episode - very clever. My second favourite episode was 'Let Bartlet, Be Bartlet', that episode was the moment I think the West Wing had me completely. The part at the end where he argues with Leo about risks was exceptionable. You end that episode just like Josh, CJ, Toby and Sam do - with a burst of energy and some excitement about what will happen. Brilliant stuff. My favourite episode though was 'What Kind of Day Has It Been?' which I loved, it worked in setting the shooting up, the providing an exceptional episode in dealing with the shot down pilot, setting up Josh's past with Hoynes and Toby's brother in space before ending with the ultimate cliffhanger. I was dying for another episode!!! Luckily my season 2 boxset came only a few days later...

I think since I last posted, I now can say I love all the characters. All of them. Toby and Leo were probably the last ones I warmed to, but now I love them though admittedly they aren't as cheery or breezy as some of the others. Though this works well in some instances, Toby's personality really does create some funny moments. One character I really like Danny Concannon, he's great. The stuff he brings to the show and his involvement which lifts the show makes you think like he's a cast member rather than a returning character. I also like Joey Lucas, she is a great character to antagonise against Josh, they both have elements similar and different enough to work well together. And finally, Jed Bartlet. I must say previously on in the season I was a tad detached but now you feel like you know him as well as the others, he's fantastic. Martin Sheen simply like all the others puts in top class performances all the time.

My favourite character is Josh, for sure. It just makes me shout - Bradley Whitford, where are have you been?

The answer is, The West Wing. And thank god for that

< Message edited by Underscore -- 11/2/2006 7:06:59 PM >

Post #: 23
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 11/2/2006 6:38:31 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

Great to hear you loved it Underscore. The first 2 episodes of Season 2 are the best things you may ever see on television.

Only one thing, it's Jed Bartlet, not Jeb:P

Hope you'll be there for the beginning of Studio 60, the new show from Aaron Sorkin (Bradley Whitford may be signing up)

(in reply to Underscore)
Post #: 24
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 11/2/2006 7:10:43 PM   
The Mighty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Underscore

Hello again.

Yes, I'll admit it. I'm hooked. So hooked that I'm already bought and watching Season 2. Yep, I have now seen Season 1 of the West Wing!!!

To give a bit of a conclusion to what I was writing before, I'll just add my thoughts such as my favorite episodes, moments, feelings that have changed since the start of the season and other stuff.

Yeah, I thought 'These Crackpots and These Women' was very very good, I had a soft spot for 'Mr Willis of Ohio' with the bar scene and the very well played out ending with Toby looking out for Mr Willis' vote. 'Take This Sabbath Day' was a very good episode, I lived the way the episode played out, you realise that the 3 chances Bartlett had, to make his decision to save the guy was in fact the narrative structure of the episode - very clever. My second favorite episode was 'Let Bartlet, Be Bartlet', that episode was the moment I think the West Wing had me completely. The part at the end where he argues with Leo about risks was exceptionable. You end that episode just like Josh, CJ, Toby and Sam do - with a burst of energy and some excitement about what will happen. Brilliant stuff. My favorite episode though was 'What Kind of Day Has It Been?' which I loved, it worked in setting the shooting up, the providing an exceptional episode in dealing with the shot down pilot, setting up Josh's past with Hoynes and Toby's brother in space before ending with the ultimate cliffhanger. I was dying for another episode!!! Luckily my season 2 boxset came only a few days later...

I think since I last posted, I now can say I love all the characters. All of them. Toby and Leo were probably the last ones I warmed to, but now I love them though admittedly they aren't as cheery or breezy as some of the others. Though this works well in some instances, Toby's personality really does create some funny moments. One character I really like Danny Concannon, he's great. The stuff he brings to the show and his involvement which lifts the show makes you think like he's a cast member rather than a returning character. I also like Joey Lucas, she is a great character to antagonise against Josh, they both have elements similar and different enough to work well together. And finally, Jeb Bartlet. I must say previously on in the season I was a tad detached but now you feel like you know him as well as the others, he's fantastic. Martin Sheen simply like all the others puts in top class performances all the time.

My favourite character is Josh, for sure. It just makes me shout - Bradley Whitford, where are have you been?

The answer is, The West Wing. And thank god for that

Woo! I'm glad you enjoyed Season 1, it was great stuff! CJ was, and still is, my favorite character. Watching her do "The Jackal" brought chills down my spine. I'm not sure why, but it did. I'll keep posting my thoughts on Season 2 on this thread too, if you don't mind! I'm currently just over half way, and it is even better then the first season. And Barefoot Doctor is right, I don't think I've seen anything that has rivaled the brilliance of the first few episodes of Season two!

(in reply to Underscore)
Post #: 25
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 11/2/2006 7:17:26 PM   
Underscore

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barefoot Doctor
Great to hear you loved it Underscore. The first 2 episodes of Season 2 are the best things you may ever see on television.

Yeah, they are. I've seen them both now and they are fantastic. It's like every actor plays a different character almost, bar from Josh and Sam, it really is clever how Sorkin incorporates how people change as the years go by and weaves earlier, different but still similiar versions of the characters we all love. Just about to start to watch episode 4 now.

quote:

Only one thing, it's Jed Bartlet, not Jeb:P

My bad, I did know it was Jed, which makes it all the worse a spelling mistake, but I've edited it now to be correct.

quote:

Hope you'll be there for the beginning of Studio 60, the new show from Aaron Sorkin

Yes, I should be. I've been reading the thread and some of the pages of the uncomplete script but I've yet to post, I'm too afraid that me being a West Wing newcomer will make me denounced pronto. But yes, I'll be there, hopefully.

quote:

(Bradley Whitford may be signing up)

Post #: 26
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 11/2/2006 7:32:12 PM   
MeetThe_InvisibleMan

I haven't seen the West Wing. I know its supposed to be good but It just aint my kind of thing.

(in reply to Underscore)
Post #: 27
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 12/2/2006 12:06:35 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

quote:

Yeah, they are. I've seen them both now and they are fantastic. It's like every actor plays a different character almost, bar from Josh and Sam, it really is clever how Sorkin incorporates how people change as the years go by and weaves earlier, different but still similiar versions of the characters we all love. Just about to start to watch episode 4 now.

My favourite part of the flashbacks was probably the evolution of Bartlet. The end of the episode where he shows up at the airport to see Josh is brilliant television. Episode 4 has the introduction of a character I absolutely adore, and the teaser before the credits is, for me, one of the funniest moments on the show.

quote:

My bad, I did know it was Jed, which makes it all the worse a spelling mistake, but I've edited it now to be correct.

It's a really common error. I still see lots of news articles calling him Jeb Bartlet. The origin of 'Jed' has never been explained on the show, but I think it's a combination of his first and middle name (his full name being Josiah Edward Bartlet)

quote:

Yes, I should be. I've been reading the thread and some of the pages of the uncomplete script but I've yet to post, I'm too afraid that me being a West Wing newcomer will make me denounced pronto. But yes, I'll be there, hopefully.

Good to hear. It's shaping up to be a fantastic show. I can send a copy of the full script your way if you're interested.

Other episodes you have to look forward to in Season 2: Galileo; Noel; Somebody's Going To Emergency, Somebody's Going To Jail; Two Cathedrals. Those are probably the best of what is to come, but the rest are all uniformly excellent.

I think one of my favourite parts of The West Wing is that it took me several repeat viewings till I finally understood everything. You can watch an episode once and understand what's going on in general, but sometimes it takes a few viewings to properly comprehend the political aspects. The West Wing, along with Sorkin's other work, Sports Night, are really the only two shows I can watch as many times as possible without getting bored. There's just so much going on that it's never boring.

< Message edited by Barefoot Doctor -- 12/2/2006 10:00:36 AM >

(in reply to Underscore)
Post #: 28
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 12/2/2006 5:34:31 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: MeetThe_InvisibleMan

I haven't seen the West Wing. I know its supposed to be good but It just aint my kind of thing.

yeah same here, I've been meaning to watch it, but never could

(in reply to MeetThe_InvisibleMan)
Post #: 29
RE: I'm just about to start to watch the West Wing for ... - 12/2/2006 6:34:14 PM   
The Mighty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barefoot Doctor

Other episodes you have to look forward to in Season 2: Galileo; Noel; Somebody's Going To Emergency, Somebody's Going To Jail; Two Cathedrals. Those are probably the best of what is to come, but the rest are all uniformly excellent.

Yep, that episode is beyond brilliant.

My favorite character introduction from the first few episodes of Season 2 is the hiring on Donna, just being able to see how far she has gotten since she joined the campaign was great! Also, CJ falling into the pool is comedy gold.

Yesterday, when watching episode 2.14, I actually had to rewind the episode on 4 different occasions just so that I could re watch a certain moment. I've never watched a show before where I've had to stop a re watch a moment just second after I've just seen it. It is that good. And Stockard Channing should be in everything!

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> The West Wing Appreciation Thread Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI