Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Mass Effect 2 aka the greatest RPG sequel ever

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Mass Effect 2 aka the greatest RPG sequel ever Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Mass Effect 2 aka the greatest RPG sequel ever - 6/11/2009 6:39:27 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Another trailer and more info HERE

Surely I can't be the only person on this forum that's excited about this game?

My enthusiasm has been crushed by the apparent lack of the original crew. 

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 31
RE: Mass Effect 2 aka the greatest RPG sequel ever - 6/11/2009 6:44:26 PM   
HIM

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

What?!?! I spent hours sweet talking that bird in order to bang her. Are you telling me that it was all for nothing?

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 32
RE: Mass Effect 2 aka the greatest RPG sequel ever - 6/11/2009 7:22:57 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

quote:

What?!?! I spent hours sweet talking that bird in order to bang her. Are you telling me that it was all for nothing?

Umm, no. You got to bang her .

From what I gather most of the (surviving) original crew are in it, they're just not a part of your crew anymore.

Rumour has it (possibly spoilerific) you'll have Tali, Liara and either Ashley or Kaidan (depending on, well you know...) as part of your crew at some point in the sequel. I can't remember where i read that but I do know it was ages ago so who knows if that is still the case.

As far as I'm concerned I'd rather a new set of crew mates. I got to know all the characters in the first game so I'd prefer to have a new lot this time around.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 33
RE: Mass Effect 2 aka the greatest RPG sequel ever - 6/11/2009 7:56:00 PM   
directorscut

To me it's the equivilant of making The Empire Strikes Back without Han Solo, Leia, Chewbacca and the droids.

Or Kirk recruiting a completely new crew in The Motion Picture to save Earth.

The characters in Mass Effect was a huge part of the game's enjoyment for me.

quote:

As far as I'm concerned I'd rather a new set of crew mates. I got to know all the characters in the first game so I'd prefer to have a new lot this time around.

I'd rather they deepen the characters and their relationships than introduce a new crew, who from what I've seen so far are completely unappealing. This is suppose to be a role-playing game. Well I certainly wouldn't recruit any of these new characters over any of the original crew.

Post #: 34
RE: Mass Effect 2 aka the greatest RPG sequel ever - 6/11/2009 8:04:47 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

To me it's the equivilant of making The Empire Strikes Back without Han Solo, Leia, Chewbacca and the droids.

Or Kirk recruiting a completely new crew in The Motion Picture to save Earth.

The characters in Mass Effect was a huge part of the game's enjoyment for me.

quote:

I'd rather they deepen the characters and their relationships than introduce a new crew, who from what I've seen so far are completely unappealing. This is suppose to be a role-playing game. Well I certainly wouldn't recruit any of these new characters over any of the original crew.

Every single original crew member has been confirmed for a return in ME2 though, is it really inconceivable that they would have moved on? I'm assuming Garrus has moved on to become a Spectre, Tali back to her fleet, Wrex back to being a Merc etc. If they weren't in the game at all I'd share your concerns but they are, so I don't

And how do you know the new crew members won't rock?

This is the only game I give a flying fuck about that's coming out in the next 6 months now that Forza 3 has been released so I'm staying positive

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Post #: 35
RE: Mass Effect 2 aka the greatest RPG sequel ever - 6/11/2009 8:20:36 PM   
directorscut

quote:

Every single original crew member has been confirmed for a return in ME2 though, is it really inconceivable that they would have moved on? I'm assuming Garrus has moved on to become a Spectre, Tali back to her fleet, Wrex back to being a Merc etc. If they weren't in the game at all I'd share your concerns but they are, so I don't

Tali is a squad member so that's one positive.

Only Garrus and Wrex have been confirmed but in what capacity no one knows.

Liara, Ashley and Kaidan have not been mentioned by Bioware.

And again this is a hugely important mission Shepard is on. Like Kirk in The Motion Picture if (s)he is going to recruit a crew why not recruit the one (s)he trusts instead of completely unknown entities? That's what my character would do. In fact my character would not let them leave the ship in the first place.

The end of Mass Effect pointed towards a direct sequel picking up where it left off. I don't like the fact that it's two years later and I had no control over what Shepard was doing in those years. This is suppose to be an RPG afterall.

quote:

I have seen the Subject Zero video.

Mass Effect is unquestionably one of my favourite games of all time and I have been wanting the sequel ever since, but the marketing for ME2 has done pretty much everything it could to lower my anticipation of the game. I really, really hope my negativity is misplaced.

Post #: 36
RE: Mass Effect 2 aka the greatest RPG sequel ever - 6/11/2009 8:32:09 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

Tali is a squad member so that's one positive.

Only Garrus and Wrex have been confirmed but in what capacity no one knows.

Liara, Ashley and Kaidan have not been mentioned by Bioware.

And again this is a hugely important mission Shepard is on. Like Kirk in The Motion Picture if (s)he is going to recruit a crew why not recruit the one (s)he trusts instead of completely unknown entities? That's what my character would do. In fact my character would not let them leave the ship in the first place.

The end of Mass Effect pointed towards a direct sequel picking up where it left off. I don't like the fact that it's two years later and I had no control over what Shepard was doing in those years. This is suppose to be an RPG afterall.

quote:

I have seen the Subject Zero video.

Mass Effect is unquestionably one of my favourite games of all time and I have been wanting the sequel ever since, but the marketing for ME2 has done pretty much everything it could to lower my anticipation of the game. I really, really hope my negativity is misplaced.

I understand your concerns (especially the 2 years later bit, that is a bummer) but it's Bioware man, BIOWARE! They're not in the habit of fucking up their own IP's.

From the article I linked to above.

quote:

Subject Zero and Grunt are the ones that people have thought are very two-dimensional. But, they're actually the favorite characters so far, them and a character that is going to be discussed pretty soon. And it's because you learn something like Grunt is this young, kind of crazy almost child-like huge tank guy. But then when you learn what's behind them, then there's so much more of interest. Subject Zero is this tough girl which seems cliché, but when she opens up a little bit of vulnerability it just pulls on your heartstrings and you just go, "Oh she seems so much more real than I expected her to be." And then it totally changes everything because you start to think that you know people like that, you know how she feels. And now you're interacting with these characters as real people.

That's the difference. I think people are really attached to characters like Wrex from the first game because of those things. But once you start unlocking those things about these new characters, they all have their own back story and actually that's one of the biggest part of Mass Effect 2 in terms of characters. Since loyalty figures into the story so much, the fact that you have to learn about them and then do something to earn their loyalty -- it's in those missions that you get to learn about who they really are and you get to bond with these characters even more than those in the first game.

Have faith. It is going to rock...

Oh and with regards to the crew member point according to Wiki (yeah I know) every member of your crew that survived your ME playthrough will be involved in the sequel in some capacity. I know it's only Wiki but that does match with what I read (somewhere, think it was in 360 Gamer or some such magazine) a few months back.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 6/11/2009 8:35:53 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 37
RE: Mass Effect 2 aka the greatest RPG sequel ever - 6/11/2009 10:24:53 PM   
HIM

quote:

quote:

quote:

Umm, no. You got to bang her .

Yes, but I spent all that time buying the cow and all I got was one glass of milk. After all that effort I'd expect milk on tap. Now I'm going to have to go out and buy another cow to fuck.

Post #: 38
RE: Mass Effect 2 aka the greatest RPG sequel ever - 6/11/2009 10:34:36 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

Unconfirmed but I've heard that if you did make the devil with two backs with Liara T'Soni a young sproglet might be in the story. This would follow what was established in the first game where the she tells you the female fucks off and brings up kids on their own.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 39
RE: Mass Effect 2 aka the greatest RPG sequel ever - 18/11/2009 4:13:00 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

Box art released

Not sure if I like it to be honest. Looks a bit odd.

Then again it doesn't make any difference to the quality of the finished product.

Looks like they've changed the box art which is probably the most pointless bit of gaming news I've read this millenium. Yet I've still decided to share it with y'all .

Dunno which looks worst of the 2 to be honest.

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 40
RE: Mass Effect 2 aka the greatest RPG sequel ever - 18/11/2009 4:51:57 PM   
directorscut

Seeing as the first one is merely "alright" and the new one can be best described as regurgitated vomit, I'm guessing it's the former.

Post #: 41
RE: Mass Effect 2 aka the greatest RPG sequel ever - 19/11/2009 10:07:23 AM   
BigKovacs

They're both rich with early 90's lulz. Still it doesn't matter, it suits the game.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

Post #: 42
RE: Mass Effect 2 aka the greatest RPG sequel ever - 19/11/2009 10:26:41 AM   
HIM

Those are two of the worstest sleeves I've ever seen. It's like they just learned how to use photoshop. Still can't wait for the game though!

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 43
RE: Mass Effect 2 aka the greatest RPG sequel ever - 19/11/2009 10:33:29 AM   
sharkboy

Mass Effect was one of my first 360 titles when I got the console at the start of the year.  But with the inevitable rush to amass titles for my new console, I never really played the game enough to get immersed in it.  It seemed enjoyable, but just didn't grip me the way some of my other new titles did.

Now, however, Dragon Age has rekindled my love for all things Bioware and I'll definitely be adding Mass Effect 2 to my must-have list (where I can also show off my nice Blood Dragon armour from DA).  So, what I'm really asking is should I hold off playing ME2 until I've had the chance to run through the first one a couple of times?  Or is it so stand-alone now that the original characters are gone that it can be played without dedicating 40 hours (or however long it lasts) to building up a rapport with the people and worlds of the game?

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 44
RE: Mass Effect 2 aka the greatest RPG sequel ever - 19/11/2009 10:45:21 AM   
HIM

I know next to nothing about the sequel but I'd advise revisiting the first before the sequel. Not only to brush up on the story and characters but also because it's a fucking great game.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 45
RE: Mass Effect 2 aka the greatest RPG sequel ever - 19/11/2009 2:48:34 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Mass Effect was one of my first 360 titles when I got the console at the start of the year.  But with the inevitable rush to amass titles for my new console, I never really played the game enough to get immersed in it.  It seemed enjoyable, but just didn't grip me the way some of my other new titles did.

Now, however, Dragon Age has rekindled my love for all things Bioware and I'll definitely be adding Mass Effect 2 to my must-have list (where I can also show off my nice Blood Dragon armour from DA).  So, what I'm really asking is should I hold off playing ME2 until I've had the chance to run through the first one a couple of times?  Or is it so stand-alone now that the original characters are gone that it can be played without dedicating 40 hours (or however long it lasts) to building up a rapport with the people and worlds of the game?

I'd play through the first game. You can carry over your completed saved game into the sequel. Your decisions in the first game will (apparently) be carried over into the subsequent sequels. I'm excited to see how this works myself.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 46
RE: Mass Effect 2 aka the greatest RPG sequel ever - 30/11/2009 3:55:11 PM   
superdan

I'm debating whether to pre-order this on Amazon (I think its about £37 or £38 at the mo). Its out in a couple of months, didn't realise it comes out so soon!

Post #: 47
RE: Mass Effect 2 aka the greatest RPG sequel ever - 4/12/2009 2:24:25 PM   
thatlittlemonkey

So, Mass Effect 2 is going to consist of 2 discs for both 360 and PC --> http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-3966-Mass-Effect-2-Will-Feature-Multiple-Game-Discs.html

Why?  "Because you cannot fit this much awesome on one disc".  

I'm going to need a SWAT Team ready to mobilise, street-level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammy Dodgers and a fez.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 48
RE: Mass Effect 2 aka the greatest RPG sequel ever - 14/12/2009 2:23:53 PM   
Mojo

Fucking awesome new trailer at IGN:

http://uk.ign.com/

Martin Sheen!

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to thatlittlemonkey)
Post #: 49
RE: Mass Effect 2 aka the greatest RPG sequel ever - 14/12/2009 6:50:54 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mojo

Fucking awesome new trailer at IGN:

http://uk.ign.com/

Martin Sheen!

That. Was. Awesome.

Roll on the full trailer come 22nd December and then roll on 29th January.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 50
RE: Mass Effect 2 aka the greatest RPG sequel ever - 14/12/2009 7:38:58 PM   
HIM

This game will be so awesome it will make Dragon Age look like Dragon Gay-ge!

Post #: 51
RE: Mass Effect 2 aka the greatest RPG sequel ever - 14/12/2009 8:01:51 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

This game will be so awesome it will make Dragon Age look like Dragon Gay-ge!

It'll make Star Trek look like a Car Wreck

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 52
RE: Mass Effect 2 aka the greatest RPG sequel ever - 14/12/2009 8:03:20 PM   
HIM

It will make Modern Warfare look like Modern Warfairy!

Post #: 53
RE: Mass Effect 2 aka the greatest RPG sequel ever - 14/12/2009 8:04:59 PM   
Harry Tuttle

It'll make Fable 2 look like Unable to.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 54
RE: Mass Effect 2 aka the greatest RPG sequel ever - 14/12/2009 8:06:05 PM   
Harry Tuttle

And the original Mass Effect like Ass Effect

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 55
RE: Mass Effect 2 aka the greatest RPG sequel ever - 14/12/2009 8:10:45 PM   
HIM

I was going to use 'ass' for Assassin's Creed Poo!

Erm it'll make Batman look like Fatman.

Post #: 56
RE: Mass Effect 2 aka the greatest RPG sequel ever - 14/12/2009 8:41:06 PM   
From_Hell

It'll make Bioshock look like Biocock!

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 57
RE: Mass Effect 2 aka the greatest RPG sequel ever - 14/12/2009 8:42:56 PM   
HIM

It'll make Gears of War look like Queers of War!

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 58
RE: Mass Effect 2 aka the greatest RPG sequel ever - 14/12/2009 8:45:57 PM   
From_Hell

It'll make Alan Wake look like Alan Wank!

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 59
RE: Mass Effect 2 aka the greatest RPG sequel ever - 14/12/2009 8:54:53 PM   
HIM

It'll make Rock Band look like Cock Band.

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Mass Effect 2 aka the greatest RPG sequel ever Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI