Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

French Plane Disappears Over Atlantic

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> French Plane Disappears Over Atlantic Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
French Plane Disappears Over Atlantic - 1/6/2009 6:53:03 PM   
Donnie Murdo

BBC Link

Did someone forget to press the button?

My Blog - http://weeredsquirrel.com
Post #: 1
RE: French Plane Disappears Over Atlantic - 1/6/2009 6:56:47 PM   
Rgirvan44

I had a mini bet with myself to see how long it would be before a Lost joke would be cracked.

As someone who HATES flying with a passion, I don't even want to try and imagine what happened. Still have my fingers crossed for them all.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Donnie Murdo)
Post #: 2
RE: French Plane Disappears Over Atlantic - 1/6/2009 7:10:19 PM   
Sway

I'm very shocked it's taken this long for a post to appear on here at all.   It's absolutely horrific news.   I was on a flight myself just 3 days ago where I sat shaking like a leaf since I'm so bloody scared of flying - this news story just makes me feel sick from the thought of what all those people had to go through.

I know the chances of anybody surviving are next to nothing, but I hope like hell that by some miracle there's even at least one or two who've survived.

I'm getting fed up of constantly reading in all the news articles on it that 'x amount of Briton's were on the plane' - I couldn't give a rat's arse what nationalities were on that plane  - they were all people and the familes of all those people will be affected.  

Such a sad and horrific story.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 3
RE: French Plane Disappears Over Atlantic - 1/6/2009 7:31:29 PM   
Rgirvan44

I'm surpirsed that the plane was allowed to head into such a storm if there were these sorts of risks.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 4
RE: French Plane Disappears Over Atlantic - 1/6/2009 7:51:18 PM   
foz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

I'm getting fed up of constantly reading in all the news articles on it that 'x amount of Briton's were on the plane' - I couldn't give a rat's arse what nationalities were on that plane  - they were all people and the familes of all those people will be affected.  

To be sort of fair on the press (only sort of though, as they do go completely OTT most of the time with this) they are duty-bound to give out the nationalities in cases like this as it's supposed to help the authorities streamline their emergency response centres as giving details of nationalities will soothe the fears of some who think that their Albanian Grandma might be on board, allowing people of the nationalities concerned to be able to get through to the ERCs quicker.  Trouble is, they can't help but get all tabloidy about it...

Hope that there might be survivors, but in truth, there's a lot of ocean to search.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 5
RE: French Plane Disappears Over Atlantic - 1/6/2009 8:25:31 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: foz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

To be sort of fair on the press (only sort of though, as they do go completely OTT most of the time with this) they are duty-bound to give out the nationalities in cases like this as it's supposed to help the authorities streamline their emergency response centres as giving details of nationalities will soothe the fears of some who think that their Albanian Grandma might be on board, allowing people of the nationalities concerned to be able to get through to the ERCs quicker.  Trouble is, they can't help but get all tabloidy about it...

Hope that there might be survivors, but in truth, there's a lot of ocean to search.

I can understand the need to list the various nationalities on board, my main problem, which I wasn't very clear with myself sorry, is the fact that many of the headlines from UK based sources just focus on the fact there were brits onboard.  AOL.co.uk for example has the headline is 'fear for 2 britons on jet lost in storm'......  How about 'fear for all 228 passengers on jet lost in storm'??   I'm British, and my concern is for all onboard, not just those two Brits.

Anyway, I'm dragging this off topic, and it's a disturbing enough story without me nitpicking at the news' way of giving us the informantion, so for that I do apologise. 

My thoughts go out to all the people who went down in the plane and to their families who have to deal with the current uncertainty of what's happened/going on.

< Message edited by Sway -- 1/6/2009 8:26:37 PM >

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 6
RE: French Plane Disappears Over Atlantic - 1/6/2009 8:32:07 PM   
Ghidorah

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I'm surpirsed that the plane was allowed to head into such a storm if there were these sorts of risks.

Planes are engineered to withstand a lightening strike and normally it is safe. However over the years sailors had seen strange lightening that not only aim at the ground but even shoot miles upward in the skies at the same time. it is only recently confirmed it does exist this strange lightening is called Mega Lightening. It does look like standard lightening when it streaking the ground however it is eight times more powerful than a regular bolt of lightening and can rip a plane to pieces.

http://www.mymultiplesclerosis.co.uk/stranger-than-fiction/megalightning.html

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 7
RE: French Plane Disappears Over Atlantic - 1/6/2009 8:48:31 PM   
24Dan

Maybe their in 1977....or are LOST jokes a no no?

Professional Analrapist

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 8
RE: French Plane Disappears Over Atlantic - 1/6/2009 9:16:53 PM   
tarantinofan

quote:

ORIGINAL: 24Dan

on the front page of FOXnews.com

(in reply to 24Dan)
Post #: 9
RE: French Plane Disappears Over Atlantic - 1/6/2009 9:30:46 PM   
Mr Terrific

Hmm, 228 people die in mysterious circumstances...(at the moment of writing...the cause of the planes demise is unknown) and Susan Boyle news still gets  more interest. 

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to tarantinofan)
Post #: 10
RE: French Plane Disappears Over Atlantic - 1/6/2009 9:30:50 PM   
Donnie Murdo

quote:

I tried to bust that taboo early on.

My Blog - http://weeredsquirrel.com

(in reply to 24Dan)
Post #: 11
RE: French Plane Disappears Over Atlantic - 1/6/2009 9:40:57 PM   
JV

I've flown over that part of sea before on my way to and from Argentina and all I can remember is that it's absolutely massive (obviously); it just stretches on and on and on. I wouldn't be surprised if they never found it as that water is going to be ridiculously deep so the great expanse aside, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack.

but love is the sky and i am for you
just so long and long enough

Post #: 12
RE: French Plane Disappears Over Atlantic - 1/6/2009 11:49:39 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: tarantinofan

quote:

on the front page of FOXnews.com

That's all I have heard all day... "LOST 228 passengers aboard jetliner" ... it just blows my mind. I guess I am just naive but jeebus. You'd think it would not be too hard to find a plane with all the technology that is about and considering I would think they would know it's flight route and exactally when they lost contact with the plane Which I would assume they would know is when it went down? So I mean they should have some kind of search area? What about satillites etc? Even if they can't be used now is there no way of having some kind of satillite system set up to monitor planes? If google maps can take pictures of my back yard then somthing must be able to to done. Rant over.

It's tragic news and I just hope that they somehow find survivors. At the least figure out why this happend and create some way to stop it from happening again.

Post #: 13
RE: French Plane Disappears Over Atlantic - 1/6/2009 11:59:43 PM   
tarantinofan

oh, I was reffering to the fact that FOX news have just been either totally naive or completely insensistive by putting LOST in their fornt page headline.

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 14
RE: French Plane Disappears Over Atlantic - 2/6/2009 12:16:59 AM   
the anomaly

quote:

oh, I was reffering to the fact that FOX news have just been either totally naive or completely insensistive by putting LOST in their fornt page headline.

I get that too. I was not directly commenting on your post at all. Just saying it's strange that they could just lose the whereabouts of a plane. But I guess I have no clue how all that works.

Post #: 15
RE: French Plane Disappears Over Atlantic - 2/6/2009 1:27:34 AM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Terrific

Hmm, 228 people die in mysterious circumstances...(at the moment of writing...the cause of the planes demise is unknown) and Susan Boyle news still gets  more interest. 

This boggles my mind too.  I guess there's only so much people can say in a thread like this - stating the obvious with 'Oh God that's awful', which is exactly what I've said because it is awful, but it surprises me how little posts there are in this thread.

(in reply to Mr Terrific)
Post #: 16
RE: French Plane Disappears Over Atlantic - 2/6/2009 8:26:16 AM   
JoeyPottr

This is absolutely terrible. It's just terrible when any plane crashes let alone a commercial flight.

wandering through the tall grass of life

Post #: 17
RE: French Plane Disappears Over Atlantic - 2/6/2009 1:31:44 PM   
Timon

Simply as the plane has gone missing off Brazil, in the South Atlantic, my childlike brain started wondering about the Bermuda Triangle.

Oh, I'm not speculating that the plane has disappeared in The Triangle (mainly as the Triangle is distant from where it went down) BUT has anything recently gone missing in The Triangle? Has it ever been explained? Do planes/ships just avoid that area now?

I was discussing the story with an aerospace engineer last night and he said that lightning shouldn't affect the plane in that manner and it must have been one hell of a precise and devastating bolt to take down a modern commercial plane.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to JoeyPottr)
Post #: 18
RE: French Plane Disappears Over Atlantic - 2/6/2009 1:35:04 PM   
Beno

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ghidorah

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Planes are engineered to withstand a lightening strike and normally it is safe. However over the years sailors had seen strange lightening that not only aim at the ground but even shoot miles upward in the skies at the same time. it is only recently confirmed it does exist this strange lightening is called Mega Lightening. It does look like standard lightening when it streaking the ground however it is eight times more powerful than a regular bolt of lightening and can rip a plane to pieces.

http://www.mymultiplesclerosis.co.uk/stranger-than-fiction/megalightning.html

I once saw a lightning storm off the coast of the Dominican Republic and i have to say its the most awe inspiring , terrifyingly epic thing i have ever seen . Other parts of the world have storms that make ours look like breezes .

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 19
RE: French Plane Disappears Over Atlantic - 2/6/2009 4:24:42 PM   
Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Simply as the plane has gone missing off Brazil, in the South Atlantic, my childlike brain started wondering about the Bermuda Triangle.

Oh, I'm not speculating that the plane has disappeared in The Triangle (mainly as the Triangle is distant from where it went down) BUT has anything recently gone missing in The Triangle? Has it ever been explained? Do planes/ships just avoid that area now?

I was discussing the story with an aerospace engineer last night and he said that lightning shouldn't affect the plane in that manner and it must have been one hell of a precise and devastating bolt to take down a modern commercial plane.

I saw a show one night ages ago that gave crystalised methane as the explanation for the Bermuda Triangle. The methane is under the sea floor, landslides and earthquakes exposes the methane which then dissolves and from the surface it looks like the water is bubbling. Ships canít float in these conditions and methane rising into the atmosphere can affect planes. Anything that sinks can then be covered by any subsequent earthquakes or landslides. I think also the area could be called the Bermuda Lopsided Polygon due to the area covered.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 20
RE: French Plane Disappears Over Atlantic - 2/6/2009 10:41:16 PM   
Sway

Just spoke to my dad this evening - and found out that one of the guys on the plane was an old friend of his.   My dad knows him through his oil/offshore connections and he would be one of the cronies my dad would drink with in one of our local pubs on Friday night.  But because he's not actually from my home town, my dad hasn't seen him since a little before Christmas.

Still, really horrible to hear news about an old drinking buddy.  

It's not that long ago that one of my oldest brother's friends went down in that North Sea chopper crash a few months back.  Stuff like this makes my fear of flying ten times worse.  I'll be lucky if I ever set foot on another plane again.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 21
RE: French Plane Disappears Over Atlantic - 2/6/2009 10:43:43 PM   
Timon

The kid from Bristol went to a school that loads of my friends used to go to.

Ok, it's barely a connection, but still....

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 22
RE: French Plane Disappears Over Atlantic - 2/6/2009 11:24:13 PM   
Ghidorah

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I saw a show one night ages ago that gave crystalised methane as the explanation for the Bermuda Triangle. The methane is under the sea floor, landslides and earthquakes exposes the methane which then dissolves and from the surface it looks like the water is bubbling. Ships canít float in these conditions and methane rising into the atmosphere can affect planes. Anything that sinks can then be covered by any subsequent earthquakes or landslides. I think also the area could be called the Bermuda Lopsided Polygon due to the area covered.

There is a US naval base just outside the triangle where they do a lot of top secret research. if the place that dangerous then I doubt the US Navy would risk it prize ships or research in unstable waters. Some people claims there are UFo activity in the area. History Channel got a retired military psychic and used his gift to sense what in the water. He sense there are alien activity in the area and this chap been highly praised by the Us military.
I am pretty sure the storm is key to the crash and mega lightening can take out a plane no problem. An alternative is valcano's eruptions can disrupt the plane electronics and switch them off.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 23
RE: French Plane Disappears Over Atlantic - 3/6/2009 1:01:17 AM   
tarantinofan

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americas/06/02/brazil.france.plane.missing/index.html

quote:

No survivors found in wreckage of Air France jet, official says

where the f*ck are the people?

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 24
RE: French Plane Disappears Over Atlantic - 3/6/2009 1:15:08 AM   
Sway

quote:

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americas/06/02/brazil.france.plane.missing/index.html

quote:

No survivors found in wreckage of Air France jet, official says

where the f*ck are the people?

To be fair, it's very early days - they've only found a tiny fraction of wreckage in proportion to the size of the whole plane.  We still have no proper idea as to what's happened - since the plane didn't send out any distress call most people are suggesting something highly catastrophic happened very quickly - potentially there might not actually be much left of the people if there was some sort of explosion involved. 

If there are bodies to be found then there's up between 2,000m - 4,500m (depending on whichever news report you go with) depth worth of ocean in the area the plane wreckage has been found that will have to be searched.   Mini subs are being sent out with the hope they'll be there by tomorrow.

Hopefully we can start finding out some proper information.  I can't bare to think what those people must have gone through, and what their poor families must be going through now.  Having no proper explanation must be very hard.

Post #: 25
RE: French Plane Disappears Over Atlantic - 3/6/2009 1:15:38 AM   
Darkbloom

Saying there are no survivors means they have found the people, they're just not alive.

Post #: 26
RE: French Plane Disappears Over Atlantic - 4/6/2009 11:26:46 AM   
Sumintelligentguy

Lost Jokes are not funny - this is a serious matter, families are distraught trying to find out news - what if that was you or someone from your family.

A girl in my flat tried to pull a lost joke - and i stopped her immediately - it's just not funny.

My prayers are with the families.

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to Darkbloom)
Post #: 27
RE: French Plane Disappears Over Atlantic - 4/6/2009 11:35:33 AM   
tftrman

I see a French pilot has come out and said it's more likely a terror attack is responsible since lightning is highly unlikely to cause a plane to crash. Only time will tell I suppose.

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 28
RE: French Plane Disappears Over Atlantic - 4/6/2009 11:17:40 PM   
Sway

http://news.aol.co.uk/the-last-14-minutes-of-disaster/article/20090604005419185230603

A newslink from AOL which describes what investigators believe to have happened in the last 14 minutes of the plane's complete power failure based on the automatic signals which were sent out.

There's been no suggestion of a terrorist attack here, and although planes are usually ok through thunderstorms it appears to have been a particularly violent one this Airfrance plane flew through.

Again, this story is really horrific.  Maybe it's because I have such a fear of flying, but I can't stop myself reading all about it.  I already knew there were kids onboard at the time, but last night I read somewhere there was an 11 year old schoolboy flying home on his own.  Can you even begin to imagine how alone and terrified he must have felt? Obviously everybody else would have been going through the same, but the thought of that poor kid going through that probably crying out for his parents absolutely rips me to pieces.

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 29
RE: French Plane Disappears Over Atlantic - 4/6/2009 11:50:03 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

i completely agree with you Sway, whilst i'm not usually that fussed about flying for some reason this incidient has struck a chord with me and i cannot begin to imagine the complete and utter terror of the situation. It is literally unimaginable and beyond horrific. Fear personified i imagine. Just awful.

I can't stop thinking about it either. My prayers are with friends and family of everyone involved.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> French Plane Disappears Over Atlantic Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI