Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Psychoville

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Psychoville Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Psychoville - 1/11/2010 2:42:18 PM   
ElephantBoy

Last night was the first time I watched Psychoville.  I thought it got just the right mix of being funny, strange and weird.  The cast were fantastic, and it had that real cult feel to it.  I sandwiched this between viewings of The Ghost and The Ophenge to make for a great Halloween night.  Will be tuning in more in the coming weeks.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 391
RE: Psychoville - 1/11/2010 6:04:31 PM   
Ethanial

I just watched it, disappointed ain't the word, like the League's Christmas special, the mix of humour and horror meant that neither really felt right, and in this case the humour wasn't even happening for the most part. It was well made and all, but not as funny nor as scary as it could have, nay, should have been.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 392
RE: Psychoville - 3/11/2010 3:34:39 PM   
ElephantBoy

Meant to say scary rather than strange

Maybe that is the key Ethanial because I had not seen it before I did not know what to compare it to, so as a first time viewer I had a blast!

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 393
RE: Psychoville - 14/4/2011 6:35:57 PM   
Hex

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/comedy/2011/04/return-to-psychoville.shtml

Not long to wait now!!!

I see Maureen is in the cast pic so good news there.

You are a hot cup of asshole!

You wouldn't let me have that poster of Gael Garcia Bernal! His eyes are green and he's Latin! I need it!

Sssshhh. Shut your mouth. Sssssh. It's Art Crawl.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 394
RE: Psychoville 2 - 5/5/2011 10:09:06 PM   
borstal

Its on!

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 395
RE: Psychoville 2 - 6/5/2011 1:46:44 AM   
Hex

I think the "silent singer" is the most terrifying thing these guys have ever come up with. 

You wouldn't let me have that poster of Gael Garcia Bernal! His eyes are green and he's Latin! I need it!

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 396
RE: Psychoville 2 - 6/5/2011 4:27:36 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

Not now Silent Singer!  Thought the first episode was really strong, I was genuinely shocked at the ending.  Love the new characters although Steve's new one sounds an awful lot like Tish from the third series. 

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 397
RE: Psychoville 2 - 6/5/2011 7:56:11 PM   
emogeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lazy wolf eyes

Not now Silent Singer!  Thought the first episode was really strong, I was genuinely shocked at the ending.  Love the new characters although Steve's new one sounds an awful lot like Tish from the third series. 

I was thinking the exact same thing. Was waiting for him to exclaim "I love gay guys!"

(waits for someone to quote that out of context!)

Silent Singer is surely going to become a cult favourite?  Deliciously twisted

The Fear Of Blood Tends To Create Fear For The Flesh

Have you ever been halfway through eating a horse and then realised you weren't as hungry as you thought you were?

(in reply to Lazy wolf eyes)
Post #: 398
RE: Psychoville 2 - 6/5/2011 8:27:38 PM   
borstal

we found a tumor in her stomach

......but she doesnt like tuna

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to emogeek)
Post #: 399
RE: Psychoville 2 - 7/5/2011 11:48:49 AM   
Sotto Voce

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hex

I think the "silent singer" is the most terrifying thing these guys have ever come up with. 

He is strangely menacing. Reminded me a bit of Dean Tavaloures (sp) in the live shows.

All things digested have a similar hue.

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 400
RE: Psychoville 2 - 7/5/2011 12:03:25 PM   
simonmckergan1

Menacing? Just a bit!

As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 401
RE: Psychoville 2 - 7/5/2011 2:05:30 PM   
Hex

quote:

ORIGINAL: emogeek

quote:

I was thinking the exact same thing. Was waiting for him to exclaim "I love gay guys!"

Definitely thought the same thing about Tish. Im a little suprised that they used something so obviously from somewhere else.

There was another thing that seemed very familiar at the time but cant remember it now. Have to watch it again!

Was suprised (and a little saddened) about what happened to Joy. I suppose the "freddie fruitcake" thing was getting a bit old and theres not much point to her anymore. Anyone know if Dawn French was signed up for the rest of the series?

Overall I loved it though. Silent Singer is magnificent so far. Only Reece could do that weird movement.

I think Imelda Staunton was given some cracking lines, I liked her irritation at the organisation not being more like Minority Report.

The discussion about "the wizards sleeve" made me laugh alot aswell.

Was glad to be spared the dwarf story for a while. I know Biggins is set to return so the panto thing is likely to keep going.

(in reply to emogeek)
Post #: 402
RE: Psychoville 2 - 9/5/2011 3:20:08 PM   
Skiba

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: emogeek

quote:

The discussion about "the wizards sleeve" made me laugh alot aswell.

That was my favourite moment!  "She was probably just showing off"

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 403
RE: Psychoville 2 - 9/5/2011 3:59:43 PM   
jediwarrior

quote:

ORIGINAL: simonmckergan1

Menacing? Just a bit!

Christ it's Britney Spears in 20 years time

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to simonmckergan1)
Post #: 404
RE: Psychoville 2 - 10/5/2011 4:24:20 PM   
Sotto Voce

quote:

ORIGINAL: jediwarrior

quote:

ORIGINAL: simonmckergan1

Menacing? Just a bit!

Christ it's Britney Spears in 20 years time

Think she's got that long?

I didn't think that new character was too much like Tish.

BTW, someone please make a silent singer gif.

And can I be the first to suggest an amalgamation of silent singer and Dr. who's Silence?
Too late, I am! Someone get onto that.

All things digested have a similar hue.

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 405
RE: Psychoville 2 - 10/5/2011 5:37:15 PM   
RobotDevil

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sotto Voce

quote:

He is strangely menacing. Reminded me a bit of Dean Tavaloures (sp) in the live shows.

Reminded me of Bob from Twin Peaks. I think Silent Singer wins it for weirdness and they are tied for creepy scariness.

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 406
RE: Psychoville 2 - 11/5/2011 3:21:27 PM   
Hex

Just looking at that pic of Silent Singer, I can only begin to imagine its conception. Sue Pollards glasses, Britney Spears hair, Al Jolson gloves, teeth from the Descent monsters and a leopard print scarf!! I suspect this was a "dressing up box" moment for the boys. Their tried and tested technique of walking out of the room, then come back in costume and say "Is this a character?"

On the flip side of the coin, I actually love the Librarian too. Its a very subtle characterisation (well anything would be subtle in comparison to SS!) but I liked it alot. "No. Its either today, tomorrow or friday..." I definitely want to know why he is the way he is.

(in reply to RobotDevil)
Post #: 407
RE: Psychoville 2 - 12/5/2011 12:18:17 AM   
Rebenectomy

Loved it! Silent Singer all kind of awesome, shock ending (remind me who exactly Jennifer is btw and how did Joy get her hands on her?), and yes, the 'I love gay guys' element was apparent, but hoping they'll make more of it as it progresses. Would love to see Dawn French in another guise at some point, she's an absolute star, especially in these macabre type roles. great start, can't wait for the rest.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 408
RE: Psychoville 2 - 12/5/2011 1:43:40 AM   
Hex

Jennifer was initially Mr Lomax's replacement home help after Tea Leaf left/scarpered. So, when all the old imates were gathered together at the old asylum, at the end of series one, she was present with him and the others.

Coinicidently, at the same time in the same place Joy was trying to make "Freddie" the doll (who she beleived was her son) a real boy by giving him a blood transfusion using her husbands mistress's fluids. In the confusion Joy somehow got it into her head that Jennifer was the result of the procedure and therefore Freddie reborn. It didnt seem to matter to her that Jennifer is a girl, asian and in her twenties.

Just typing this out, made me laugh. Its so ludicrous but wonderful.

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 409
RE: Psychoville 2 - 12/5/2011 11:16:20 PM   
Skiba

Maureen's Tina Turner has to be both the funniest and scariest thing on TV!

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 410
RE: Psychoville 2 - 13/5/2011 12:24:30 AM   
Rebenectomy

Am now torn between a number of Halloween costumes. Decision, decisions.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 411
RE: Psychoville 2 - 13/5/2011 10:54:15 AM   
Lazy wolf eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

Am now torn between a number of Halloween costumes. Decision, decisions.

When Maureen popped up dressed as Tina Turner, my jaw dropped, and then I burst into hysterical laughter.  Totally bizarre and terrifying. 

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 412
RE: Psychoville 2 - 13/5/2011 11:57:02 AM   
Hex

Thought last nights ep was hilarious. That Tina Turner impression was epic and Jellys old lady friend came back! I was so happy to see her. The two of them have such a great chemistry

Its so mean to say but Im glad Robert is dead. Its probably not the end of him knowing this show, Kerry and the grandmother are probably going to bring him back to life or something but I really hope his story is done.

Hattie now has traces of Pauline as well as Tish. Did anyone else see the way her mouth moved when she was angry? It was pure Pauline.

< Message edited by Hex -- 13/5/2011 11:58:01 AM >

Post #: 413
RE: Psychoville 2 - 13/5/2011 12:25:47 PM   
Skiba

I think Hattie sounds more like the mum pushy pageant parent from LoG rather than Tish as she was more a faux bohemian Londoner

What a coo getting John Landis in!  Lomax putting Tippex in his ears made me chuckle  

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 414
RE: Psychoville 2 - 13/5/2011 12:32:30 PM   
Hex

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

I think Hattie sounds more like the mum pushy pageant parent from LoG rather than Tish as she was more a faux bohemian Londoner

Exactly! Nancy Glass is definitely the voice!

As for Tish I think mainly its in the sad "fag hag" persona and Hatties language was very like Tish's in the stage show sketch.

ETA: If the new ep is anything to go by, I do think she's going to depart from these similiarities eventually. Tish is an archetype and designed to be one dimensional but Hattie is clearly going to be darker and more disturbed. This "marriage" is going to be the trigger for her to play out some sort of warped perfect wife scenario, possibly blackmailing the gay guys or something.

On a random note, makes me wonder would Hatties characterisation be so familiar if it werent Steve playing her. But then I cant imagine Reece doing it either. Like could Steve have played the Librarian character? Probably not.

< Message edited by Hex -- 13/5/2011 4:12:29 PM >

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 415
RE: Psychoville - 13/5/2011 10:25:36 PM   
jobloffski

Silent Singer based on mixing the looks together of Jaws and his bespectacled girlfriend from Moonraker? The PV version of what their child might look like?

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

Post #: 416
RE: Psychoville - 15/5/2011 6:55:08 PM   
nvh1982

Silent Singer is clearly their homage to Twin Peaks and it works excellently, the Tina Turner scene was shocking, unexpected, disturbing and very very funny exactly what you'd expect. Really glad its still on form

http://cinematicscreenings2012.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 417
RE: Psychoville - 15/5/2011 7:54:23 PM   
jobloffski

Fair enough if that's what it is, but as someone who LOVES the 'Peaks, the idea that it is clearly a homage to that isn't so clear to me. If anything, the transition from real library to whatever realm the SS is more Silent Hill than Twin Peaks to me (goes spooky, something weird in the distance, gets closer, freaky thing alert), and that's part of why I thought the character was called Silent Singer. But, whatever, really

(in reply to nvh1982)
Post #: 418
RE: Psychoville - 15/5/2011 8:42:15 PM   
Ethanial

This week was back to a stronger episode after last week's lacking installment. Still limited on the overlapping plot though, the locket seems to come and go without much impression on the audience, though killing off the cast may lead to a more streamlined narrative by episode 4.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 419
RE: Psychoville - 22/5/2011 7:35:51 PM   
Hex

Did I hear right that there wont be a new ep next week?

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 420
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Psychoville Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI