Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Psychoville

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Psychoville Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Psychoville - 27/5/2009 10:26:55 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

The new comedy from The League of Gentlemen's Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton will be airing June 11th.  Just seen a couple of trailers for it and it looks brilliant. I'm a huge LOG fan so I'll be watching, anyone else? 

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.
Post #: 1
RE: Psychoville - 27/5/2009 11:10:56 PM   
elab49

So this isn't related to the dark comedy book Psychoville written by Christopher Fowler? All I can see on IMDB is that the wonderful Eileen Atkins is in it.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Lazy wolf eyes)
Post #: 2
RE: Psychoville - 27/5/2009 11:46:53 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

No I don't think there's any link between the two. Reece and Steve wrote it between them as far as I know.  It's called Psychoville because when The League of Gentlemen was aired in Korea, they called it Psychoville.  The name just stuck [/geekiness]

Not sure how big Atkins' part is, but Dawn French is in it as well (since she's on the promo shots I reckon she's quite prominent.)

< Message edited by Lazy wolf eyes -- 27/5/2009 11:47:34 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3
RE: Psychoville - 28/5/2009 1:38:43 AM   
Amelie_Scotland

I'll definately be tuning in even though my favourite LOG guy isn't in it.  Plus the added joy of Dawn French is always welcome.

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

Post #: 4
RE: Psychoville - 28/5/2009 8:38:27 AM   
elab49

I can't remember the last time I found her bearable let alone funny. I think a director would have to clamp down on her normal mannerisms quite harshly, which would be a good thing.

I found a pic with a freaky looking clown. I love that everyone tends to the clown = scary side of the house now!

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 5
RE: Psychoville - 28/5/2009 12:54:04 PM   
spark1

'i know what you did.'

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6
RE: Psychoville - 28/5/2009 8:41:32 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

I was reading some interviews about what influenced the characters... the one about the amputee scratching someone's back with their foot was a highlight!  I loved how they had to tone that down because no one would believe it.

I was a bit worried to hear about Dawn French being in it since she's associated with lightweight, tea-time comedy these days... but her character sounds pretty sinister.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 7
RE: Psychoville - 28/5/2009 8:49:44 PM   
Grunny

im looking forward to this. I wasnt a fan of gentlemen, but i think tis show looks good.

i saw a trailer on youtube with dawn french, its was funny.

“People are strange, but more than that, they're good. They're good first, then strange.”

Post #: 8
RE: Psychoville - 8/6/2009 10:23:26 PM   
Hex

I am so completely hyped about this. Cannot wait.

I loved, loved, loved Funland and considering its Reece and Steve this time, I think Psychoville is going to be even more grotesque (always felt mark and jeremy did the more subtlely sick stuff). Yay!

Its so weird but Ive missed them so much.   Ive been watching Drury Lane on a loop for the last few days in anticipation.

< Message edited by Hex -- 5/9/2010 6:14:40 PM >

You are a hot cup of asshole!

You wouldn't let me have that poster of Gael Garcia Bernal! His eyes are green and he's Latin! I need it!

Sssshhh. Shut your mouth. Sssssh. It's Art Crawl.

(in reply to Grunny)
Post #: 9
RE: Psychoville - 9/6/2009 12:59:00 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

I think it's been bumped to next week now.  I imagine some sort of sporting guff is to blame for this.

I agree Hex, I think Mark and Jeremy's stuff is usually more subtle (though they did write the Denton's Aqua Vitae sketch) but Steve and Reece's stuff was usually the more iconic - so it'll be interesting to see if it works without Mark and Jeremy's influence.

I love Drury lane! The Scumbellina piss take of Northern playwrights is inspired.  I love the commentary too, it's got some of the strangest and funniest anecdotes.

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 10
RE: Psychoville - 9/6/2009 4:37:07 PM   
Hex

The "little mouse at the back of the stage" joke is so funny because they are so amused by it. They kill themselves laughing. And the Go Johnny Go Go Go Go playing cards.

I really hope Dawn French fits into their vision. I really do like her but she does have a tendency to overact. I read an article where it said that Steve wouldve played her part if it had been a LOG programme so Im going to spend the whole thing imagining and comparing her to him.

You wouldn't let me have that poster of Gael Garcia Bernal! His eyes are green and he's Latin! I need it!

Post #: 11
RE: Psychoville - 9/6/2009 7:10:11 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hex

The "little mouse at the back of the stage" joke is so funny because they are so amused by it. They kill themselves laughing. And the Go Johnny Go Go Go Go playing cards.

I really hope Dawn French fits into their vision. I really do like her but she does have a tendency to overact. I read an article where it said that Steve wouldve played her part if it had been a LOG programme so Im going to spend the whole thing imagining and comparing her to him.

I think that's my favourite commentary.  I love it when they break into fits of giggles. I love the 'extreme cum shots' story but the little mouse one is fantastic! 

I didn't know that, it'll certainly be interesting. Her character has been described as being similar to Pauline so I'll probably have Steve in my head too.

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 12
RE: Psychoville - 9/6/2009 7:25:30 PM   
Hex

Heres the link: http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article6381267.ece

Its interesting to read about their journey to get it made. Something Ive always noticed about the LOG is that they have never really had more than their foot in the door with the BBC. I dont think TV execs ever have any faith in them. (But then the boys are always experimenting and some of it doesnt work so maybe the BBC are just being overly cautious...)

But personally speaking the moment I saw Reece in the clown costume with a hook for a hand, I was sold!

Post #: 13
RE: Psychoville - 9/6/2009 7:41:30 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

Cheers for that link, an interesting read.  Bless the last comments from Steve and Reece!

I know they were pissed off with the BBC when they were making the third series.  Jane Root didn't like the new direction they took it in and so didn't give it many trailers etc... I don't know why they got messed around so much, the show was pretty popular and was received really well.  I'm glad they stuck to their guns though. 

The first time I saw the promo pictures, I thought the clown looked like a photo negative of Papa Lazarou.  Which can only be a good thing.

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 14
RE: Psychoville - 9/6/2009 8:17:32 PM   
Hex

I think theyve learnt that when they take advice from outside parties that it never ends well. They are definitely still rebels. They arent like Little Britain, where you know what youre getting every single bloody week. They mix things up all the time and clearly dont like beating a dead horse. Again unlike Little Britain.

Post #: 15
RE: Psychoville - 9/6/2009 9:58:47 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

Couldn't agree more. I have a lot of respect for them because they fight to make sure their work is as near perfect as possible and don't compromise their artistic integrity.  Crikey don't get me started on the pile of poo that is Little Britain.  

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 16
RE: Psychoville - 9/6/2009 10:32:16 PM   
Hex

What makes me cross is that without the League Little Britain would never have got on tv.

Plus Reece more or less helped create their version of Anne!

Post #: 17
RE: Psychoville - 9/6/2009 11:19:08 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

Yes exactly.  I hate that it's so popular when it's just a terrible rip off.  Not only is the fat fighters woman a carbon copy of Pauline, but they actually stole lines right out of the League.  They have a sinister character say 'I didn't push her' in a similar way to 'we didn't burn him' Grrr it made me so angry! I went to a preview of their film and there was a little interview with the gents afterwards.  Little Britain was brought up and Reece just said in a jokey pissed off way 'yeah they copied it all from us'. David was sat in the audience.

Ah yes of course, that's on the extras of the LB dvd isn't it?  Didn't Matt supposedly model his accent on Reece's?

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 18
RE: Psychoville - 9/6/2009 11:27:57 PM   
Hex

Yeah I think David said Reece filmed him as he was preparing characters and their version of Anne was born from Reece asking her questions. I never made the link between Majorie and Pauline before but now it seems so obvious. She even dresses similar! That is a fight I would pay good money to see.  (Pauline would exterminate her.)

Lucky you seeing them in the flesh! And at a preview of the film no less! Very, very jealous.

Post #: 19
RE: Psychoville - 9/6/2009 11:46:06 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

I was tempted to buy the LB dvd just because there was a possibility I might hear Reece on the extras.  But I just couldn't bring myself to buy it! That's a superb idea, would kind of love to see a fight between them.  Pauline would definitely win.  She's fierce, and she's been inside.

I've met them a few times *tries not to rub it in* They're all very lovely and sweet.  Steve in particular is a lovely guy.  Reece is tiny though!

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 20
RE: Psychoville - 9/6/2009 11:54:10 PM   
Hex

Ooooh! Going green with envy now.  Do you have autographs as well?

Steve really does seem so lovely. Reece Ive heard is a little less approachable (being the grumpy wee man he admits to being).

Post #: 21
RE: Psychoville - 10/6/2009 12:06:25 AM   
Lazy wolf eyes

I certainly do! I've got a signed local book and some films posters and live show posters signed.  I once stole Mark's leftover water bottle from a signing.  It had some water in it too. It was my most prized and creepy possession until my housemate drank it! 

Reece has always been lovely when I've seen him. But I have heard stories where he's been a bit grumpy. Have you ever seen the PROBE episodes Mark wrote and Reece was in? It was a bit rubbish but there's a bit where Reece gets out of bed and shows his tackle.  A fan handed it to him to sign once and he just scowled and grudgingly signed it.  It's funny though, no one ever holds it against him, they just think he's quite sweet with his moods.   

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 22
RE: Psychoville - 10/6/2009 12:11:11 AM   
Hex

No Ive never heard of Probe before. Wish I had seen it now though!

I'll have to settle for Marks bum in Funland.

Post #: 23
RE: Psychoville - 10/6/2009 12:13:19 AM   
Lazy wolf eyes

Search for it on ebay.  You will not be disappointed.  It's absolute guff.... but enjoyable guff nonetheless.

Mark certainly has got a lovely bum!

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 24
RE: Psychoville - 10/6/2009 12:39:15 AM   
Hex

And fab pins. He can work those short shorts the cave tour guide wears.

Post #: 25
RE: Psychoville - 10/6/2009 11:06:20 AM   
Lazy wolf eyes

He certainly can.  *wolf whistles*

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 26
RE: Psychoville - 10/6/2009 11:13:44 AM   
tftrman

Just checked the official BBC website and this starts on 18th June on BBC 2.

Post #: 27
RE: Psychoville - 10/6/2009 11:20:46 AM   
Lazy wolf eyes

Cheers for the info.  

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 28
RE: Psychoville - 10/6/2009 1:33:52 PM   
Hex

In the TV times they claimed it was dark and of "questionable taste". HA!

Im going to love this show.

Post #: 29
RE: Psychoville - 10/6/2009 1:45:13 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hex

In the TV times they claimed it was dark and of "questionable taste". HA!

Im going to love this show.

Brilliant, just what I wanted to hear!

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Psychoville Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI