Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 30/7/2009 9:07:31 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

I've just started this today and I'm quite surprised how much of it I've forgotten. Admitted the last time I played this I was on my Atari ST as a kid but things are so familiar yet I've forgotten where everything is, which isn't a bad thing at all. The new graphics are great and the option to switch between old school and new is great. I just haven't got the time to give it what it deserves at the moment but I will

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 31
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 30/7/2009 9:55:10 PM   
xim123

I wouldn't feel too bad about forgetting parts of it; on a recent-ish playthough Ron Gilbert got stumped by the grog puzzle and had to look it up on the internet.  Clicky

My Film Diary

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 32
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 30/7/2009 11:59:00 PM   
the anomaly

I'm on the way to Monkey Island now. Not that I been playing it recently.

SPOILERS

I assume I need to shoot myself out of the cannon but it does not seem to work. I am pretty sure I have picked up everything. But nothing's working. I did not spend too long at it. But I'm giving the game a break for now. I'll go back to it later...

(in reply to xim123)
Post #: 33
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 31/7/2009 9:05:51 AM   
CORLEONE

I was looking forward to this after hearing it was a classic. Downloaded the trial, and well, it's shite. Point and click adventures are a thing of the past....

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 34
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 31/7/2009 9:09:38 AM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

I'm on the way to Monkey Island now. Not that I been playing it recently.

SPOILERS

I assume I need to shoot myself out of the cannon but it does not seem to work. I am pretty sure I have picked up everything. But nothing's working. I did not spend too long at it. But I'm giving the game a break for now. I'll go back to it later...

I take it you're on the boat? You can't use the thing until you've done that other thing. To do that, you have to use the thing with the thingy. Easy once you know how.

< Message edited by Chief -- 31/7/2009 2:39:59 PM >

Post #: 35
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 31/7/2009 9:10:07 AM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

I was looking forward to this after hearing it was a classic. Downloaded the trial, and well, it's shite. Point and click adventures are a thing of the past....

Bollocks, it's awesome.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 36
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 31/7/2009 9:21:24 AM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

quote:

Bollocks, it's awesome.

To each their own.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 37
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 31/7/2009 1:43:14 PM   
the anomaly

Thanks for your attempt at helping me Chief ... sorry to be a pain but could you delete/edit the post! I know I bitch on here but I don't want any tips. If it stays on here I may snap and just read the whole thing ... cheers. 

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 38
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 31/7/2009 2:40:19 PM   
Chief

quote:

Thanks for your attempt at helping me Chief ... sorry to be a pain but could you delete/edit the post! I know I bitch on here but I don't want any tips. If it stays on here I may snap and just read the whole thing ... cheers. 

Done!

Post #: 39
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 31/7/2009 2:40:50 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

Bollocks, it's awesome.

To be fair the game is probably beyond the mental capacity of your average Leeds fan

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 31/7/2009 2:41:54 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 40
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 31/7/2009 4:22:10 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

Bollocks, it's awesome.

To be fair the game is probably beyond the mental capacity of your average Leeds fan

IUt's an awesome game in it's own right now it's been revamped, the nostalgia for some of us is just an added bonus!

Post #: 41
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 1/8/2009 3:44:06 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

I take it you're on the boat? You can't use the thing until you've done that other thing. To do that, you have to use the thing with the thingy. Easy once you know how.

Cheers mate.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 42
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 2/8/2009 3:45:26 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Finished my 1st run through today, missed the achievement for 'no hints' as when I started the game I pressed the buttin to se what it did then realised there was an achievement for not using it I'll get that on my speed run. I also missed the '10 minuted under water' achievement so hopefully I can still get under 3hours and get this achievement. I need to learn all the insults aswell. I really enjoyed playing this again and started to remember more of it as the game progressed, looking forward to Le Chucks Revenge now

Post #: 43
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 2/8/2009 7:44:36 PM   
the anomaly

Spoilers for part 2

I'm about 11 hours into the game. Finished the 2nd act today! I only got stumped near the end of it. Well I had tried so many times to "use" the cereal box instead of using the "open" function. 

Spoilers for part 3

Well I am on the island now plodding along. So far it's ok. Although I just gave the monkey all three bananna's and got nothing in return. My plans are to maybe break the dam somehow, Get the monkey to help me somehow, get to the oars using the rope and using the flint and compass to make a fire somewhere. If I do get the oars I hope I can sail back to the boat to get the crew or somthing.

Spoilers for part 1

I didn't want to check the secret achievements incase they spoilt the game. Which they would have. But I got the speech achievement. It was so annoying bumping into the random pirates for no reason before. But once you could actually fight them it was great. It took awhile but it was worth learning them all. The battle with the sword master was a highlight for me.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 44
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 3/8/2009 12:35:15 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bollocks, it's awesome.

I'm surprised a Malaysian enjoyed it.

Post #: 45
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 3/8/2009 6:33:01 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bollocks, it's awesome.

I'm surprised a Malaysian enjoyed it.

That's weak man

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 46
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 7/8/2009 12:49:51 AM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

Just completed it a second time with a score of 25207 which makes me 64th out of 26083.
Final Autosave time of 1:22:59

My first play through took around 14:00 hours! ... My second was a speed run which took 2:30 and my final play through has taken me 1:36 off the top of my head now! Crazy compared to how long the first play through took. I'm ranked 432nd or somthing now.

Got all the achievements too. Despite my bitching I have enjoyed the game. I did a bit of a write up when I completed it the first time in the "today I compelted thread" but that was just a random blurb rather than a contructive review. Might tidy it up later.

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 47
RE: Secret of Monkey Island 2 coming to XBL? - 7/7/2010 6:19:55 PM   
Bumfluff

Monkey Island 2!!  Woop woop!

I must have played it through 10 times already over the years but still just as excited.

One of the top 10 games ever. FACT.

My Cinema Diaries

Post #: 48
RE: Secret of Monkey Island 2 coming to XBL? - 7/7/2010 7:05:04 PM   
directorscut

Will wait until it's a DOTW.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Bumfluff)
Post #: 49
RE: Secret of Monkey Island 2 coming to XBL? - 7/7/2010 10:08:07 PM   
Peter Griffin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bumfluff

Monkey Island 2!!  Woop woop!

I must have played it through 10 times already over the years but still just as excited.

One of the top 10 games ever. FACT.

Have to wait till payday next week until i can play this for the first time, cannot wait.

"No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough."

"Me and Pete Griffin would make a beautiful Dead Space ass kicking baby."

(in reply to Bumfluff)
Post #: 50
RE: Secret of Monkey Island 2 coming to XBL? - 8/7/2010 4:53:45 PM   
Bumfluff

Enjoy mate. I'm envious of anyone playing for the 1st time.

Both the jokes & puzzles are great.

My Cinema Diaries

(in reply to Peter Griffin)
Post #: 51
RE: Secret of Monkey Island 2 coming to XBL? - 18/7/2010 8:17:06 PM   
Peter Griffin

quote:

The Empire Strikes Back bit at the end was ace
Loved this game, got stuck a few times but the wife & Bumfluff helped me out. Is there a third game as the ending suggests there isn't!!!
Hope they bring out more of the lucasarts point & click games like Indiana Jones, Grim Fandango & Day of the Tentacle as i never played them.

< Message edited by Peter Griffin -- 18/7/2010 8:18:54 PM >

"No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough."

(in reply to Bumfluff)
Post #: 52
RE: Secret of Monkey Island 2 coming to XBL? - 19/7/2010 7:54:39 PM   
the anomaly

After all the hurt and pain of the last game ...
I want in ... once again! I'll just be waiting for a price drop this time. It will happen. When it does ... I'll be ready. Hopefully I will get through it quicker. I've got your number Monkey Island! I've saved it ... and I'm gonna ... ring it? ... yeah and I'm gonna prank it and harrass you.

Day of the tentecle was cool. Had it on the PC. Never knew it was some hidden gem/huge highly rated game. I enjoyed it. I got stuck at one section though. Then gave up.

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 19/7/2010 7:56:07 PM >

Post #: 53
RE: Secret of Monkey Island 2 coming to XBL? - 19/7/2010 8:33:55 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Griffin

quote:

The Empire Strikes Back bit at the end was ace
Loved this game, got stuck a few times but the wife & Bumfluff helped me out. Is there a third game as the ending suggests there isn't!!!
Hope they bring out more of the lucasarts point & click games like Indiana Jones, Grim Fandango & Day of the Tentacle as i never played them.

You can download SCUMMVM for free from here -> Clickety

I can erm, help you acquire all the Lucasarts games if you can't find em yourself .

Grim Fandango & Day of the Tentacle are awesome (Grim Fandango isn't a SCUMM game though, it's out for Windows XP and there's a fix to get it to work on Vista and Windows 7) as are Sam & Max Hit the Road and Full Throttle. To be honest you can't go wrong with a bit of Lucasarts point and click goodness. I've recently been playing The Dig and it's a cracking game, if a bit on the tough side.

But I agree with the sentiment, I would absolutely love a HDified version of all the above games. That would be awesome.

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 54
RE: Secret of Monkey Island 2 coming to XBL? - 19/7/2010 8:37:31 PM   
Bumfluff

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Griffin

[The Empire Strikes Back bit at the end was ace

How about the Indiana Jones rope swing?

There's a 3rd & a 4th. They're both great (3 has some rock hard puzzles & a Deliverance style dualling banjo) but neither of them hit the heights of the 1st two I'm afraid.

I think it's unlikely we'll see these two but am far more hopeful of getting the "Tales of Monkey Island" spin-offs that PC owners have had for at least 18 months & I havent had the chance to play myself yet.

If they do Grim Fandango & Day of the Tentacle you're in for a real treat PG. They are both brilliant in their own way. You'd even love The Dig being a sci-fi fan.

My Cinema Diaries

Post #: 55
RE: Secret of Monkey Island 2 coming to XBL? - 19/7/2010 11:44:07 PM   
Peter Griffin

quote:

How about the Indiana Jones rope swing?

Small things do amuse me
Thanks for the link Tuttle it will be investigated as there are no new games out i fancy till october.

(in reply to Bumfluff)
Post #: 56
RE: Secret of Monkey Island 2 coming to XBL? - 11/8/2012 3:51:18 PM   
the anomaly

Monkey Island 2

Started this awhile ago. Then left for a long time as I got stuck. Started playing again recently

PART 1

Biggest ball ache

- Picking up the laundry ticket! I must have searched EVERYWHERE for it. Then got it into my head that you'd have to forge it as you had paper or something.

Most fun

- Getting off the island

PART 2

Biggest ball ache

- The library. I'm still looking through books now. So S-L-O-W searching through the stupid catalogue/directory section by section and book by book. Then you have to ask for the book and watch the stupid fucking librarian get them ONE AT A TIME. Finally you can only hold four at a time.

- The gambling club didn't keep me stuck for too long really. One improvement compared to the last game I feel is there is usually something else you can do if you get stuck ... almost. Anywho I just remember being frustrated starting this as I kept getting to the last number ... using a completely different method!

Post #: 57
RE: Secret of Monkey Island 2 coming to XBL? - 11/8/2012 5:32:55 PM   
DJ Satan

quote:

- The gambling club didn't keep me stuck for too long really. One improvement compared to the last game I feel is there is usually something else you can do if you get stuck ... almost. Anywho I just remember being frustrated starting this as I kept getting to the last number ... using a completely different method!

I got stuck on that bit for half an hour. My housemate then came down and did it first time, telling me she had worked it out just from listening to it through the floor.

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

Post #: 58
RE: Secret of Monkey Island 2 coming to XBL? - 23/8/2012 10:18:55 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

quote:

I got stuck on that bit for half an hour. My housemate then came down and did it first time, telling me she had worked it out just from listening to it through the floor.

Well I think I've played for 14 hours now. Got two map pieces. No idea what to do next though.

- There's the pump for the river with the house etc on the other side. why the hell we couldn't dock the boat on that half of the island I'll never know.
- There is the used coffin shop. There is a key and cash register up for grabs there. I know I can shut the salesperson in the coffin. But I've got nothing to make him stay there.
- The library - The endless treasure trove.
- Quite sure I've exhausted every other situation ... so just need to work this out ...

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 59
RE: Secret of Monkey Island 2 coming to XBL? - 24/8/2012 7:12:19 PM   
directorscut

quote:

- There is the used coffin shop. There is a key and cash register up for grabs there. I know I can shut the salesperson in the coffin. But I've got nothing to make him stay there.

Without giving it to you directly - you've missed something on Scabb Island. Let's just say the items this MAN has could come in HANDY.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI