Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 22/5/2009 12:42:48 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

According to a slip from a German classification website.
It was also on a UK site but this link has since broken for some strange reason.

Personally I love Monkey Island games and would much prefer a Orange box of Monkey Island 1 and 2 upgraded to latest Gen.  That said when this comse out I will be spending countless hours practicing my fencing.
Oh happy times.

Hopefully this will also see the release of the 5th game, that was so widely mentioned in Escape.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

Post #: 1
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 22/5/2009 12:58:36 PM   
britesparc

Yeah, I'd heard this.  Definitely good news if true.

I may be in a minority, but I'd much rather they just re-released the first two games without any significant bells and whistles - eg. no voice acting or 3D!

As for a fifth game, part of me would love it, part of me would fear disappointment; I wasn't too keen on the last two, especially Escape.  I never really got behind the cartoony look they gave it, I prefered the quasi-realism of the first two games.

Ron Gilbert once joked he wanted to return to LucasArts to make Monkey Island 3A: The Secret Revealed or Your Money Back, which would be a terrific game (perhaps bridging LeChuck's Revenge and Curse?).

You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 2
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 22/5/2009 8:03:29 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

God I love these games, hope it happens. This is the kind of stuff I was hoping for when the whole arcade idea was introduced all those years ago now. Sick of the usual puzzle/crossword/soduku games!

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to britesparc)
Post #: 3
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 22/5/2009 8:57:02 PM   
Gizmo 76

I'd absolutely love re-released HD versions!! But will happily play through the old 256-colour versions!!, surely they won't release the original 16-colour one!!

I keep meaning to pick up telltale's Sam 'n 'Max episodes, just wish they were out on the mac....

Giz Presents . . .

My Website of Work

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 4
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 23/5/2009 10:15:17 AM   
Bumfluff

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gizmo 76

I keep meaning to pick up telltale's Sam 'n 'Max episodes, just wish they were out on the mac....

You wont have long to wait until they're on Live Arcade.

My Cinema Diaries

(in reply to Gizmo 76)
Post #: 5
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 23/5/2009 5:39:12 PM   
Sleazy

I'd certainly go through Monkey Island 1 & 2 again.

Hopefully MS price them right though. I'll not be happy at 1200 points. 

Gamertag: Sleazycome

PSN ID: Sleazytoon

(in reply to Bumfluff)
Post #: 6
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 2/6/2009 6:37:20 PM   
Bumfluff

Not sure if this has been mentioned on another thread but.....BRILLIANT NEWS!

Not only do we get theoriginal Monkey Island on 360 "revamped" but there is this too...

http://www.telltalegames.com/monkeyisland

...hopefully we dont have to wait too long until this hits the 360 also!

My Cinema Diaries

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 7
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 2/6/2009 7:56:47 PM   
the anomaly

Not that this can't have it's own thread but seeing as it's an XBL arcade game it can be discussed there and has been mentioned in there.

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2279780&mpage=4

(in reply to Bumfluff)
Post #: 8
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 2/6/2009 8:49:55 PM   
Bumfluff

The new ones arent arcade

My Cinema Diaries

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 9
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 2/6/2009 9:55:53 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bumfluff

The new ones arent arcade

New ones? Well I'll just shut up and read the other posts next time. Though maybe the thread title should just refer to the whole series and not just the XBLA game exclusivly? ... <stumbles out of the thread>

(in reply to Bumfluff)
Post #: 10
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 2/6/2009 10:51:56 PM   
directorscut

Hope this opens the doors for Grim Fandango and Discworld Noir!

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 11
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 16/7/2009 10:23:13 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

anyone playing?

Got to say I'm loving this,  even though the Old School version is from a PC and not the reasonable graphics from the Amiga.

It's as funny and enjoyable as I always remembered it, although I don't think it will take me long to complete it as I can rememebr where most things are.

Any other Monkey Islanders out there playing this?

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 12
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 17/7/2009 1:22:56 AM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

anyone playing?

Got to say I'm loving this,  even though the Old School version is from a PC and not the reasonable graphics from the Amiga.

It's as funny and enjoyable as I always remembered it, although I don't think it will take me long to complete it as I can rememebr where most things are.

Lucky for you.

It's all new to me and whilst there have been some moments of joy there has also been lot's of fustration. Traveling around the island from place to place trying to see if you can click on somthing or try various item combos can be annoying. Especially when you can't interact with anything else.

I guess I need to get into the slower pace of point and click games. I've spent about three hours on the game so far and have completed the first of the three trials. Though now quite annoyed as I know what items I need and what I want to do...but i'm limited and can not see how I am going to get them. Where as previously I had a good idea and after a bit of trial and error everything got sorted.

Still not sure about the controls. I find myself getting fed up with the D-Pad and going back to the old style point and click to perform certain functions. The automatic "open" for doors etc on the new version is great but the D-pad is cumbersome for more complicated actions.

The XBLA game is being discussed in this thread also... http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2279780&mpage=8

Post #: 13
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 17/7/2009 11:15:24 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

quote:

anyone playing?

Lucky for you.

It's all new to me and whilst there have been some moments of joy there has also been lot's of fustration. Traveling around the island from place to place trying to see if you can click on somthing or try various item combos can be annoying. Especially when you can't interact with anything else.

I guess I need to get into the slower pace of point and click games. I've spent about three hours on the game so far and have completed the first of the three trials. Though now quite annoyed as I know what items I need and what I want to do...but i'm limited and can not see how I am going to get them. Where as previously I had a good idea and after a bit of trial and error everything got sorted.

Still not sure about the controls. I find myself getting fed up with the D-Pad and going back to the old style point and click to perform certain functions. The automatic "open" for doors etc on the new version is great but the D-pad is cumbersome for more complicated actions.

The XBLA game is being discussed in this thread also... http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2279780&mpage=8

I'm currently under monkey island with about 3 hours play time,  so if you need a point (you see what I did there) in the right direction give me a shout.

Here's one for free,  (scroll down a bit)

yellow flowers on meat has a nasty habbit of sending poodles to sleep

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 17/7/2009 11:18:34 AM >

I'm your huckleberry...

Post #: 14
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 17/7/2009 11:55:28 AM   
the anomaly

Hahaha I'm passed that. As I said I finished the first trial.  It's at that point I've been wandering around for awhile. I knew what I was looking for but could not find it.

Luckily I found it this morning. It was annoying. It was somewhere where I had been looking. Infact the first place I thought of when I needed the item I wanted. Bloody cheeky game! Everything is going smoothly again now and there's been a few joyous moments yet again.

Post #: 15
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 17/7/2009 3:07:02 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

Just finished it, and it took best part of 4 hours  (3:50 something).

Just got to do my speed run now and go for the alternate ending.

Plus the good news keeps coming  Le Chucks Revenge is on its way to XBL.

I'm your huckleberry...

Post #: 16
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 17/7/2009 3:29:20 PM   
DJ Satan

I've been playing for 3 hours 10 and I've only just completed the first part. I haven't backtracked that much either.

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

Post #: 17
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 17/7/2009 11:07:37 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

I've been playing for 3 hours 10 and I've only just completed the first part. I haven't backtracked that much either.

It does get a lot quicker on the 2nd run through (alternate ending/speed run).  You know which area you don't need to fanny about with and exactly what to get from each area.  Plus you skip all the talky bits which brings the time down loads.

After taking 4 hours when I knew exactly where to go made me thing the time achievement would be a right bastard but I've just reached "Under Monkey Island" and the clock is running at 1:04.    The three hour completion isn't going to be as hard as I thought.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 17/7/2009 11:08:34 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 18
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 18/7/2009 1:27:28 AM   
DJ Satan

I completed it. A couple of bits had me racking my brains on what to do next, expecially when I totally forgot about the fort.

On my secon playthrough now and I've just landed on Monkey Island in less than an hour.

Post #: 19
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 18/7/2009 11:20:59 AM   
DJ Satan

Just completed it a second time with a score of 25207 which makes me 64th out of 26083.
Final Autosave time of 1:22:59

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 20
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 18/7/2009 4:55:21 PM   
the anomaly

Seeing as everyone is using this thread for the XBLA Secret of Monkey Island game I'll post my thoughts here ... or shall I say rant. 

I really do not want to use the in game hints but I really am stuck at the moment. Serious this time ... Behold my tale of woe...
SPOILERS

Spoilers ahead if you have not completed the three trials look away! Though probaly best to just read if you have done the game I don't know ...
OK ... so I've done the trials and a few things after that.

My Progress
  • I have now aquired a boat.
  • I have one crew member who is the sword master.
  • I broke the guy AND the rat out of jail though both just left me.
  • Off the top of my head I have; a sword, shovel, minutes, map, note, access to grog using cups, t-shirt tresure hunter, t-shirt 100% cotton swords master, stapel remover, magnetic compass, stans business card aaaaannnnddddd that may be all.
What I think I should do next

• I need at least two other crew members. Pretty sure the vodoo lady said I did. BUT I can not recruit anyone else. Even the guy who taught me how to fight is gone. I can't get into his home. There is hardly anyone left to talk to at all.
  • I want to get across to Nook/Hook Island. BUT nothing seems to work. I look at the cable and Guybrush even comments that it could probaly support his weight...yet he won't climb across or use any item to aid him.
  • I want to get to the guv's house. BUT I now have to wait till 2:30 ... seeing as this is the island where time has stood still I am at a loss as what I am meant to do. I even tried to "Give the minutes to the clock" or to use a shovel to maybe move the hands or use the magnetic compass to move the hands...nothing works!
That's me for now ... ahhhhhhhh yes ... I am just venting really. I don't really want anyone to tell me what to do. I am probaly going to just leave the game for awhile now ...  a long while ...

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 21
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 18/7/2009 8:35:56 PM   
DJ Satan

You're missing one of the most memorable items in the game.

I can tell you what room it is in if you really want...

Post #: 22
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 18/7/2009 10:13:05 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

Just completed it a second time with a score of 25207 which makes me 64th out of 26083.
Final Autosave time of 1:22:59

That's one hell of a time,  not going to get near that.  I've just got my ghost spray and I'm 1:25.

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 23
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 18/7/2009 10:14:57 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

Seeing as everyone is using this thread for the XBLA Secret of Monkey Island game I'll post my thoughts here ... or shall I say rant. 

I really do not want to use the in game hints but I really am stuck at the moment. Serious this time ... Behold my tale of woe...
SPOILERS

Spoilers ahead if you have not completed the three trials look away! Though probaly best to just read if you have done the game I don't know ...
OK ... so I've done the trials and a few things after that.

My Progress

• I have now aquired a boat.
  • I have one crew member who is the sword master.
  • I broke the guy AND the rat out of jail though both just left me.
  • Off the top of my head I have; a sword, shovel, minutes, map, note, access to grog using cups, t-shirt tresure hunter, t-shirt 100% cotton swords master, stapel remover, magnetic compass, stans business card aaaaannnnddddd that may be all.
What I think I should do next

• I need at least two other crew members. Pretty sure the vodoo lady said I did. BUT I can not recruit anyone else. Even the guy who taught me how to fight is gone. I can't get into his home. There is hardly anyone left to talk to at all.

• I want to get across to Nook/Hook Island. BUT nothing seems to work. I look at the cable and Guybrush even comments that it could probaly support his weight...yet he won't climb across or use any item to aid him.

• I want to get to the guv's house. BUT I now have to wait till 2:30 ... seeing as this is the island where time has stood still I am at a loss as what I am meant to do. I even tried to "Give the minutes to the clock" or to use a shovel to maybe move the hands or use the magnetic compass to move the hands...nothing works!

That's me for now ... ahhhhhhhh yes ... I am just venting really. I don't really want anyone to tell me what to do. I am probaly going to just leave the game for awhile now ...  a long while ...

You must of skipped the bit where the guy in prison says he will meet you by the docks, once you get the boat.

You are one crew memeber short, and while not telling you how to do it,  you will need a ******  *******

In all honesty there can only be one place on the island you've not gone to.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 18/7/2009 10:15:50 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

Post #: 24
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 18/7/2009 10:20:57 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

Indeed, retrace your steps anomaly because you've been to the room with this item in it but must have missed it.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 25
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 19/7/2009 10:13:08 AM   
the anomaly

quote:

Don't tell me ... it's ...  a rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle?!?!!?  ... if it IS I would be annoyed. Pretty sure you can only read the sign but not enter the shop.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Indeed, retrace your steps anomaly because you've been to the room with this item in it but must have missed it.

Did I mention the 8 hour play time i've clocked up? Most of that time has been spent walking around the island looking for the last item I could not find and on this current issue. Been ok with the other puzzles.

quote:

In all honesty there can only be one place on the island you've not gone to.

I've scoured the island ... ... Ughhhhhh OK I'm going to man up and get this done hopefully today. I will retrace my steps from the start of the game and painstakingly check every screen/room I am in. It's the only way.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 26
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 19/7/2009 12:34:50 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

quote:

Don't tell me ... it's ...  a rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle?!?!!?  ... if it IS I would be annoyed. Pretty sure you can only read the sign but not enter the shop.

Count to ten if needed do it again.  Sounds likes you've covered the island,  but not the town.

You need help you do?
Who do?
you do?

I'm ranked 248th or something for my complition time which was 1:32.   I lost my time in the first lot of trails
The big question is will my competative juices make he do it again just to get closer to DJ?

I'm going to complete Call of Juarez while I think about it.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 19/7/2009 12:37:09 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

Post #: 27
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 19/7/2009 3:47:47 PM   
DJ Satan

quote:

quote:

quote:

Count to ten if needed do it again.  Sounds likes you've covered the island,  but not the town.

You need help you do?
Who do?
you do?

I'm ranked 248th or something for my complition time which was 1:32.   I lost my time in the first lot of trails
The big question is will my competative juices make he do it again just to get closer to DJ?

I'm going to complete Call of Juarez while I think about it.

I'm sure I can knock some time off. It's collecting enough insults that it is so time consuming.

Post #: 28
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 19/7/2009 4:01:49 PM   
the anomaly

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! ... Took me all but 10 mins with a fresh mind to find out what to do next ...

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 29
RE: Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? - 19/7/2009 4:12:15 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! ... Took me all but 10 mins with a fresh mind to find out what to do next ...

I've just managed to reach Monkey Island. I really haven't had as much time to play this as I would have liked but I'm pretty much motoring through it at the moment. Hopefully I'll be done by the end of the afternoon and will then be going for the speed run.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> Secret of Monkey Island coming to XBL? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI