Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Album Artwork!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Album Artwork! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Album Artwork! - 4/8/2009 7:12:53 PM   
brampski

Thoughts on "Uprising", which may or may not be available to download on the internet?

Trying to describe it without mentioning Goldfrapp is a challenge! Not a patch on their best stuff I think...

What are the occasions that warrant a dancing banana?

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 61
RE: Album Artwork! - 4/8/2009 7:15:04 PM   
matthewforan

That's pretty damn cool.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to brampski)
Post #: 62
RE: Album Artwork! - 4/8/2009 7:34:27 PM   
Olaf

Album artwork is cool (why didn't they get Storm Thorgerson to do the album art though?). But neither of the tracks have grabbed me - really hoping this album doesn't disappoint now.

< Message edited by Olaf -- 4/8/2009 7:52:50 PM >

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 63
RE: Album Artwork! - 9/9/2009 6:37:19 PM   
thepluginbaby

So you may be able to get the album from some places...  Lets not delve into that for now.  I think The Guardian are streaming the whole album on their website tomorrow so... there you go...  

So obviously I am a big Muse fan, so my thoughts are likely to be biased.

All I can say is that it is epic, with traces of everything Muse have done before in the past as well as some new developments.  Uprising is a decent and immediate opening.  Resistance contains a highly anthemic verse and buildup to an absolutely stellar chorus ('love is our resistance') its gonna be great live.  Undisclosed Desires is Doctor Who versus Timbaland, sounds almost like a Bond soundtrack, carries the grooviness of Supermassive Black Hole.  Eurasia still makes me gag a little bit (sounds better live without the Brian May guitar).  Guiding Light is a glam rock ballard cousin to Starlight and carries shades of U2.  Unatural Selection contains the angular riffage that Muse are known for as well as seeing a return from the church organ.  MK Ultra is an electronic number which flexes its muscles with heavy guitars, sounded a bit like Enter Shikari and a development of the rave element of Map of the Problematique.  I Belong to You, may take a bit of getting used to, reminded me of the Scissor Sisters, I think there is a clarinet solo in there, it is absolutely mental, he does sing in French as well.  As a whole Exogenesis is the real pay off for Muse fans it is absolutely sublime.  The first part is very cinematic and reminds me of Holst.  The second part has a great build up whilst the third part closes the album in a very tender fashion. 

All in all, I approve of it immensely.  They've really embraced the space opera aspect of their music with each song an individual piece of music in its own right.  At times it reminds me of Jeff Wayne's The War of the Worlds soundtrack, but it still sounds like Muse.  The first half of the album feels very focused and tight, the second half bears heavily to pompous progressive indulgence, but really this is what I like about Muse anyway.  It is also their most optimistic album to date.               

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 64
RE: Album Artwork! - 9/9/2009 7:10:16 PM   
Epiphany Demon

Just heard Undisclosed Desires, Resistance, Uprising and Eurasia. None of them are anything but good to be honest, the best being Uprising, but if the whole album is of this standard it's their worst. Exogenesis from the 30 seconds of each I've heard sounds great though. Seeing it live, hope they do that.

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 65
RE: Album Artwork! - 9/9/2009 7:27:01 PM   
paul.mccluskey

I'm going to wait till Monday. Hopefully it'll arrive here by then!

Matt hinted at huge summer plans for 2010 in The Daily Record last week, so I'm hopefuly that Muse will go on a huge UK stadium tour.

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 66
RE: Album Artwork! - 10/9/2009 1:17:27 AM   
Olaf

Just heard the first few tracks ("Uprising", "Resistance", "Undisclosed Desires", "Eurasia"). First impressions (though I have heard "Uprising" and "Eurasia" a fair few times at this point of course)...

"Uprising" is bog-standard Muse stomp with a great riff but little bite - The lyrics are some of Matt's worst so far (that fat cats line... and "Paranoia is in bloom" *shudder*). "Resistance" isn't bad, the chorus and middle-eight are properly anthemic but it's undone horribly by "COULD BE WRONG, COULD BE WRONG" part. The verse also sounds uncannily like 'Absolution'-era Muse minus that album's brilliance. "Undisclosed Desires" is an ill-advised foray into RnB which comes across as a very expensive-sounding parody of Justin Timberlake, and is the weakest of the first four songs (no mean feat). And while "United States of Eurasia" sounds slightly better in the context of the first three, it remains a potentially brilliant song in the "Apocalypse Please" mould hamstrung by bloated excess and an almost parodical Queen fetish that completely ruins my enjoyment of it (the instrumental breaks are still fantastic though). Every song sounds like a weaker version of something else - Queen, Timbaland, Goldfrapp, themselves...

On the whole, going by these four tracks, 'The Resistance' is derivative, tired, and very much the sound of a band going through the motions and taking the worst elements of their sound to their natural conclusion (and not in a good way). That said, it's unfair to judge a record on half an album so I will still be picking it up to give a full review - I do love Muse and I want to be proved wrong on this one, but judging by this evidence, 'The Resistance' is very easily the band's worst record to date.

< Message edited by Olaf -- 10/9/2009 1:26:05 AM >

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 67
RE: Album Artwork! - 10/9/2009 1:50:55 AM   
paul_ie86

Where are you hearing these songs?

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 68
RE: Album Artwork! - 10/9/2009 2:44:11 PM   
TomTron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

Just heard the first few tracks ("Uprising", "Resistance", "Undisclosed Desires", "Eurasia"). First impressions (though I have heard "Uprising" and "Eurasia" a fair few times at this point of course)...

"Uprising" is bog-standard Muse stomp with a great riff but little bite - The lyrics are some of Matt's worst so far (that fat cats line... and "Paranoia is in bloom" *shudder*). "Resistance" isn't bad, the chorus and middle-eight are properly anthemic but it's undone horribly by "COULD BE WRONG, COULD BE WRONG" part. The verse also sounds uncannily like 'Absolution'-era Muse minus that album's brilliance. "Undisclosed Desires" is an ill-advised foray into RnB which comes across as a very expensive-sounding parody of Justin Timberlake, and is the weakest of the first four songs (no mean feat). And while "United States of Eurasia" sounds slightly better in the context of the first three, it remains a potentially brilliant song in the "Apocalypse Please" mould hamstrung by bloated excess and an almost parodical Queen fetish that completely ruins my enjoyment of it (the instrumental breaks are still fantastic though). Every song sounds like a weaker version of something else - Queen, Timbaland, Goldfrapp, themselves...

On the whole, going by these four tracks, 'The Resistance' is derivative, tired, and very much the sound of a band going through the motions and taking the worst elements of their sound to their natural conclusion (and not in a good way). That said, it's unfair to judge a record on half an album so I will still be picking it up to give a full review - I do love Muse and I want to be proved wrong on this one, but judging by this evidence, 'The Resistance' is very easily the band's worst record to date.

I completely agree. I've listened to the whole of the album and can say that i only enjoyed 2 tracks (Undisclosed Desires and I Belong To You, only because they have elements of Muse trying something new, even if they do sound like Timbaland and Maroon 5) The rest of the album is borish, self indulgent twaddle, highlighting all the worst parts of what Muse can produce, most of the tracks are generic and forgettable and even sound like they're ripping themselves off (In particular Unnatural Selection which sounds like Thoughts Of A Dying Atheists ugly little brother) They've lost the 'edge' and the 'fury' which made Muse so attractive to listen to in the first place with songs like Stockholm Syndrome and Citizen Erased. Lets hope they can rediscover that on the next record.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 69
RE: Album Artwork! - 10/9/2009 6:05:33 PM   
sam89

I've given it a listen, and whilst it's decent, it's not as good as their last album.

Uprising and Resistance are both good, and Undisclosed Desires is an interesting song for the group. Eurasia is OK, and Guiding Light sounds like Invinsible, but not quite as good. Unnatural Selection and MK Ultra are both great heavy songs, but they're not quite as good as they could have been. I Belong To You is odd but decent.

Exogenesis has moments of brilliance (the entire Overture, as well as the main section in Part 2), but I have a problem with it. Firstly, I don't think it works well as one song. Each part just repeats the same thing over again (2 minute orchestral build up, one vocal part, outro), so the symphony never builds to anything. But because of the structures to each song, they don't work individually either. Not enough happens in each song. If Part 3 had been a real pay-off, Exogenesis could have been brilliant.

Overall I'd probably give it s 7/10, although it might increase to an 8/10 on repeat listens.

(in reply to TomTron)
Post #: 70
RE: Album Artwork! - 11/9/2009 10:17:07 AM   
losthighway

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

I'm going to wait till Monday. Hopefully it'll arrive here by then!

Matt hinted at huge summer plans for 2010 in The Daily Record last week, so I'm hopefuly that Muse will go on a huge UK stadium tour.

Oh God I hope not!!! I like Muse, want to see them live but personally can't stand such large, impersonal events. It would be nice to see them go smaller, e.g. i noticed MM's upcoming tour is at smaller venues.

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

Post #: 71
RE: Album Artwork! - 11/9/2009 10:20:11 AM   
matthewforan

Would have preferred them to be playing at the Academy rather than the SECC, it's far far to big and is not where near as good for gigs.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 72
The Resistance - 12/9/2009 6:22:07 PM   
paul.mccluskey

I got the album in the post this morning.

After listening to it, I can honestly say I was impressed. I'm not sure whether it is better than the band's earlier albums, but musically it's more epic. Exogenesis Symphony is, in my opinion, one of their best pieces of work. Uprising is one song I'll have to listen to a few more times so I can fully appreciate it. I Belong to You (+Mon Cur S'ouvre Ta Voix) is excellent and it was interesting to hear Matt sing in French.

Overall, I'd give it 4 stars.

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 73
RE: The Resistance - 15/9/2009 4:12:51 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

Listening to the album now

Uprising to me is a cracking opening

will get back to you with the rest...

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

Post #: 74
RE: The Resistance - 15/9/2009 4:20:06 PM   
Hobbitonlass

My favourite track at the moment is I Belong To You.  Love it.  The whole album is excellent and have listened a few times now.

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 75
RE: The Resistance - 15/9/2009 5:24:33 PM   
Jackie Boy

I like the new direction they've taken, even if it's a little grandiose. Shame it's not nearly as good as their previous effort though.

"If you're not against me,don't cross this line! If yes,do."

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 76
RE: The Resistance - 15/9/2009 5:31:29 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

Yeah it's an ok album, nothing to be ashamed of but it misses the anger and relentlessness of previous albums which i liked so much.

And Unnatural Selection's guitar intro sounds too much like New Born.

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to Jackie Boy)
Post #: 77
RE: The Resistance - 15/9/2009 5:38:07 PM   
Jackie Boy

It's very much a concept album in my eyes. As a whole it works incredibly well, but if the album was dismantled as i suppose it would be at a live gig, i don't think the songs would come across nearly as well.

"If you're not against me,don't cross this line! If yes,do."

Post #: 78
RE: The Resistance - 16/9/2009 10:18:33 AM   
Dave B

Showbiz - Brilliant
Origin of Symmetry - Best album
Absolution - Part half average, second half excellent
BH&R - Rubbish
The Resistence - Dull, pretentious, gimmicky and overblown. They are now paradies of their former selves.

Kinda wish I hadn't brought tickets to see them now, cause they ain't gonna play anything off the first two albums.

The problem is that they haven't changed their style at all and worst of all are starting to sound like U2 with childish, political lyrics. Wish they would grow up.

Hey, what's with the flying jerks?

(in reply to Jackie Boy)
Post #: 79
RE: The Resistance - 16/9/2009 12:24:48 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave B

Showbiz - Brilliant
Origin of Symmetry - Best album
Absolution - Part half average, second half excellent
BH&R - Rubbish
The Resistence - Dull, pretentious, gimmicky and overblown. They are now paradies of their former selves.

Kinda wish I hadn't brought tickets to see them now, cause they ain't gonna play anything off the first two albums.

The problem is that they haven't changed their style at all and worst of all are starting to sound like U2 with childish, political lyrics. Wish they would grow up.

id happily take your tickets off you if you dont want them

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to Dave B)
Post #: 80
RE: The Resistance - 16/9/2009 12:28:59 PM   
Rinc

I will as well!

I reckon they'll still play quite a few songs from the first two albums, not loads, but they'll play the major ones.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 81
RE: The Resistance - 16/9/2009 12:30:12 PM   
Hobbitonlass

and me!!!! 

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 82
RE: The Resistance - 16/9/2009 1:04:17 PM   
Pigeon Army

I listened through the whole album on the band's iLike Facebook page a couple of days ago (the wonders of technology!) and was very underwhelmed by the whole thing. I like Uprising, but nothing really hooked me like I wanted it to. Admittedly, that's how I first got into Muse - a friend played me Plug-In Baby, I didn't think much of it, and then it wheedled its way into my subconscious and now Muse is my favourite band - so maybe this'll be the same, but I can't help but feel that they've overshot their mark and it's just very unremarkable, with the Exogenesis Symphony really striking me as quite meh. And I think it was Resistance that sounded like a bastardised version of Hyper Music, which is kind of sad.

I'll have to give it another listen, but first impressions were decidedly unfavourable.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 83
RE: The Resistance - 16/9/2009 1:16:16 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

quote:

I listened through the whole album on the band's iLike Facebook page a couple of days ago (the wonders of technology!) and was very underwhelmed by the whole thing. I like Uprising, but nothing really hooked me like I wanted it to. Admittedly, that's how I first got into Muse - a friend played me Plug-In Baby, I didn't think much of it, and then it wheedled its way into my subconscious and now Muse is my favourite band - so maybe this'll be the same, but I can't help but feel that they've overshot their mark and it's just very unremarkable, with the Exogenesis Symphony really striking me as quite meh. And I think it was Resistance that sounded like a bastardised version of Hyper Music, which is kind of sad.

I'll have to give it another listen, but first impressions were decidedly unfavourable.

yer i'm pretty much the same, but i think Hysteria was the song my friend put on in the background. It definitely warrants more listens - which i am actually doing right now.

MK Ultra is actually a brilliant song - even though the name is awful.

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 84
RE: The Resistance - 17/9/2009 2:13:31 PM   
jonathan74

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sumintelligentguy

MK Ultra is actually a brilliant song - even though the name is awful.

The name makes me think of Milton Keynes.  Never really a good thing.

Do you really care about the last 5 movies I watched?

Post #: 85
RE: The Resistance - 17/9/2009 3:58:50 PM   
Larry of Arabia

I listened to it for the first time yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to hear it wasn't quite the Epic Fail I was expecting after reading this thread. I don't think it's an immediate album - I agree that maybe it works better as a whole rather than as individual songs, I couldn't hear any obvious singles anyway - but I think it'll be a grower. At the very least it's divisive, because apart from here I've only read good things - 4 stars apiece from Q, Mojo and The Guardian, the latter two especially surprising.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to jonathan74)
Post #: 86
RE: The Resistance - 17/9/2009 11:46:25 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

I listened to it for the first time yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to hear it wasn't quite the Epic Fail I was expecting after reading this thread. I don't think it's an immediate album - I agree that maybe it works better as a whole rather than as individual songs, I couldn't hear any obvious singles anyway - but I think it'll be a grower. At the very least it's divisive, because apart from here I've only read good things - 4 stars apiece from Q, Mojo and The Guardian, the latter two especially surprising.

I'm actually finding that's the case, and that's coming out of listening to the tracks individually - The Resistance, in particular, is really growing on me and the COULDBEWRONGCOULDBEWRONGCOULDBEWRONG isn't so annoying any more. It's definitely promising.

Also, the new video for Uprising is kickass. Evil giant teddy bears!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 87
RE: The Resistance - 17/9/2009 11:48:17 PM   
Olaf

I suspect that it'll be a lot better live (not that I can afford to see them ), but I don't know if I'll buy it. I'll give it a few more listens on the website and make up my mind, or maybe my brother'll buy it. It's alright and everything, but it just feels rather ordinary.

< Message edited by Olaf -- 17/9/2009 11:49:04 PM >

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 88
RE: The Resistance - 18/9/2009 12:03:10 AM   
Rinc

I listened to it today for the first time and thought it was a bit 'meh.' I'll listen again tomorrow and hopefully it stands out a bit more.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 89
RE: The Resistance - 18/9/2009 5:00:36 PM   
Larry of Arabia

Is it just me or is the bass riff in I Belong To You practically identical to Ruby by the Kaiser Chiefs?

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Album Artwork! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI