Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Devin from CHUD reviews for Empire??

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Devin from CHUD reviews for Empire?? Page: <<   < prev  10 11 12 [13] 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Devin from CHUD reviews for Empire?? - 19/7/2009 12:08:32 AM   
Drone

Finally caught this tonight... why the negativity; it was utterly AWESOME.  I really enjoyed this... just approach it with an open mind and no baggage from it's forerunners, and it's a seriously enjoyable movie.  Far better than I had been expecting.

First time ****/*****

Reapeat viewings probably a *** though.  Dayum it was good.
Post #: 361
RE: Devin from CHUD reviews for Empire?? - 22/8/2009 1:47:37 PM   
bozo

really struggle to understand how can anyone who has watched more than, say, 5 films in his or her life like this sorry excuse of a film? Apart from walking holding hands towards the sunset, I can't think of a single Hollywood cliche this film didn't tick off at least once. At the same time, I find it impossible to think of a single original creative idea in this film. Lazy lazy lazy. 99% of the lines could have been taken from any GENERIC SUMMER BLOCKBUSTER. The plot might as well have been conceived by an 11 year old schoolboy. Absolutely everything in this film was stale, shallow and safe. Even the action scenes were boring and generic. That's the perfect word to describe it - generic. Totally generic in every way, nothing memorable, nothing remotely interesting.  

And anyone else think the terminators were completely wasted? They were not menacing at all, the only thing they did was push people really hard, kind of like a henchman in a Bond movie. And why did they make animal noises? That pesky 11 year old screenwriter!

All in all, Terminator Salvation is completely devoid of reasons to exist, except financial ones, of course. And even abusing it is no fun, because the film's not offensively stupid, like a Michael Bay movie, but is bland, lazy and spineless. It'll be like abusing a quadriplegic tortoise or something.

Ong Bak 8/10
The Hobbit 7/10
American Hustle 7.5/10
Silver Lining's Playbook 8/10
The Hangover 9/10
Bloodstained Shadow 7/10
Don't Torture A Duckling 9/10
Lemora 8.5/10
Night Train Murders 7.5/10
Jeepers Creepers 2 8.5/10
Black Christmas 9/10

(in reply to Drone)
Post #: 362
RE: Devin from CHUD reviews for Empire?? - 23/8/2009 12:13:43 AM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: bozo

really struggle to understand how can anyone who has watched more than, say, 5 films in his or her life like this sorry excuse of a film?

I liked it very much and I reckon I've watched about 4,000 films in my life.

So there.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 363
RE: Devin from CHUD reviews for Empire?? - 24/8/2009 9:04:01 AM   
Tech_Noir

Agree with Bozo, generic and bland to the point that made me really angry.

A future war Terminator movie is something I've always wanted to see and this is what I get.

Bale's involvement caused most of the damage. From what I've read the original story focused on Marcus and Kyle, with Connor heard but not seen - perfect!

All the John Connor scenes in the film were the worst. He didn't seem to have any character development.

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 364
RE: Devin from CHUD reviews for Empire?? - 24/8/2009 9:15:47 AM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

All the John Connor scenes in the film were the worst. He didn't seem to have any character development.

We've followed him since he was in the womb! Surely you already know him?

Anyway, I liked it a lot, as you can see from my unrelenting defence

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 365
RE: Devin from CHUD reviews for Empire?? - 24/8/2009 9:56:21 AM   
Tech_Noir

"I'm confused, the machines are different now, I'm confused, why are Skynet doing, I'm angry, no one's listening to me, I'm confused, mother what do I do, I'm confused, the war has just begun"

End credits.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 366
RE: Devin from CHUD reviews for Empire?? - 24/8/2009 10:04:47 AM   
CORLEONE

Classic battle to gain the trust of his fellow man. Some people don't believe he's 'the one'. And with the time displacement equipment not yet invented in Salvation, that's perfectly understandable.

The main gripe is he's not very likeable....

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 367
RE: Devin from CHUD reviews for Empire?? - 24/8/2009 12:29:53 PM   
Biggs Darklighter

I thought the first half of this film was simply a rip-roaringly entertaining chunk of quality sci-fi action. However it seems after the crappy fight in the helicopter with the wormy things the budget completely ran out and we were presented with a hugely disappointing representation of the Skynet capital, utterly uninspired fight scenes and a laughably easy entrance, exit and destruction of Skynet's main base of operation.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 368
RE: Devin from CHUD reviews for Empire?? - 24/8/2009 12:30:29 PM   
Biggs Darklighter

Double postage

< Message edited by Biggs Darklighter -- 24/8/2009 12:32:08 PM >

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 369
RE: Terminator Salvation question... - 13/9/2009 11:04:29 AM   
Zaphod121

Seeing as my thread was shut down I'll ask it here (and apologies if this has already been hashed out) Can someone explain to me why Kyle Reese was Skynet's #1 target, and for that matter, how did Skynet even know about Reese or Connor at this point in the timeline?

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel
Post #: 370
RE: Terminator Salvation question... - 14/9/2009 9:00:11 PM   
Sphinx

I'm assuming that Skynet has everything on record, including the tapes from asylum  and the police station. I'd say Reece was the main target as Connor is still at a low rank and still inconsequential as many saw him as a false prophet. So for the first film anyway, Kyle Reece was the deal-breaker

< Message edited by Sphinx -- 14/9/2009 9:01:45 PM >

Meet The New Boss...Same As The Old Boss

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 371
RE: Terminator Salvation question... - 14/9/2009 10:34:00 PM   
Ghidorah

The other idea had future Skynet sent intel into the past to aid a younger Skynet.

(in reply to Sphinx)
Post #: 372
RE: Terminator Salvation question... - 16/9/2009 11:20:10 AM   
tonethestone

this was a truly awful film, just badly made from start to finish, awful acting, ruined what was left of Terminator. 1/5.

Nxt up.... The Descendants

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 373
RE: Terminator Salvation question... - 16/9/2009 3:57:56 PM   
CORLEONE

1/5 is madness. Standard blockbuster sci-fi action fare, 3/5.

< Message edited by CORLEONE -- 16/9/2009 3:58:44 PM >

(in reply to tonethestone)
Post #: 374
RE: Terminator Salvation question... - 16/9/2009 4:13:31 PM   
The Hooded Man

Sam Worthington was great in this film and should have been John Connor full stop. If he had been John Connor and met Kyle the way Marcus was it would have made more sense and made for a less disjointed film, lots to like in the film but lots to improve, mostly Bale's stuff it has to be said.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 375
RE: Terminator Salvation question... - 24/11/2009 12:24:13 PM   
grucl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sphinx

I'm assuming that Skynet has everything on record, including the tapes from asylum  and the police station. I'd say Reece was the main target as Connor is still at a low rank and still inconsequential as many saw him as a false prophet. So for the first film anyway, Kyle Reece was the deal-breaker

Reese is just a lure for Connor to come to Skynet. Otherwise Skynet would have just killed Reese on site. Skynet probably just knows Reese's name but not his exact role. It only knows he is important enough for John Connor to risk everything to rescue him.

In my eyes Kyle Reese isn't as important to the overall scenario as some might think. If Reese doesn't travel back to father John Connor, John might still be born (looking a bit different I guess). He simply has a different father. That's how things must have unfolded before Reese replaced the original father with himself.

The key persons are John and Sarah Connor. Eliminate either of these two and you win the war (probably). 

Why Skynet sends only one Terminator up against John once he is in the trap is something I still don't get. Lazy scriptwriting I guess...

< Message edited by grucl -- 24/11/2009 12:26:50 PM >

(in reply to Sphinx)
Post #: 376
RE: Terminator Salvation question... - 24/11/2009 12:48:37 PM   
Sleazy

I watched this for the first time the other night and y'know what? I really enjoyed it.

Maybe ist because the expectation was low after T3 and the slaggings the movie has had but I found it and exciting sci fi yarn. True Bale was wooden and characters seemed to make soem odd decisions. I'm alos still hazy over how Skynet thinks it was controlling things (or why they would put a vunerable heart in a terminator just to simulate a heartbeat) but overall I sat down with beer and pizza and thought it a great blast.

4/5.

Gamertag: Sleazycome

PSN ID: Sleazytoon

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 377
RE: Terminator Salvation question... - 24/11/2009 12:51:48 PM   
Sleazy

I watched this for the first time the other night and y'know what? I really enjoyed it.

Maybe ist because the expectation was low after T3 and the slaggings the movie has had but I found it and exciting sci fi yarn. True Bale was wooden and characters seemed to make soem odd decisions. I'm alos still hazy over how Skynet thinks it was controlling things (or why they would put a vunerable heart in a terminator just to simulate a heartbeat) but overall I sat down with beer and pizza and thought it a great blast.

4/5.

Gamertag: Sleazycome

PSN ID: Sleazytoon

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 378
RE: Terminator Salvation question... - 24/11/2009 8:59:56 PM   
Sphinx

quote:

ORIGINAL: grucl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sphinx

Reese is just a lure for Connor to come to Skynet. Otherwise Skynet would have just killed Reese on site. Skynet probably just knows Reese's name but not his exact role. It only knows he is important enough for John Connor to risk everything to rescue him.

In my eyes Kyle Reese isn't as important to the overall scenario as some might think. If Reese doesn't travel back to father John Connor, John might still be born (looking a bit different I guess). He simply has a different father. That's how things must have unfolded before Reese replaced the original father with himself.

The key persons are John and Sarah Connor. Eliminate either of these two and you win the war (probably). 

Why Skynet sends only one Terminator up against John once he is in the trap is something I still don't get. Lazy scriptwriting I guess...

Round and Round the plothole goes, where it stops......we'll be in an asylum by then! 

Anyway nobody knows if Sarah told anyone who Kyle Reece was on record. In T2 it simply states his father is unknown so maybe he was captured simply as another civvy. Only Connor knew the full impact of what it meant if Kyle did die.

Don't worry, my opinion don't convince me either!

Meet The New Boss...Same As The Old Boss

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 379
RE: Terminator Salvation question... - 25/11/2009 8:26:37 AM   
grucl

Still how Skynet can identify Kyle Reese by his face is beyond me...

(in reply to Sphinx)
Post #: 380
RE: Terminator Salvation question... - 25/11/2009 8:27:14 AM   
grucl

Still how Skynet can identify Kyle Reese by his face is beyond me...

(in reply to Sphinx)
Post #: 381
RE: Terminator Salvation question... - 25/11/2009 10:27:27 AM   
jobloffski

Doesn't this happen after Kyle has introduced himself to Marcus? If so, no plothole/logic lapse there.

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 382
RE: Terminator Salvation question... - 25/11/2009 10:30:09 AM   
grucl

Fair point but then why does the probe have to identify Reese again when Marcus already did that?

Skynetís whole plan with Marcus and Reese depends too much on chance for my taste (like Reese surviving the attack at the gas station or the following chase). Itís just too illogical for an artificial intelligence to come up with.

< Message edited by grucl -- 25/11/2009 10:35:06 AM >

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 383
RE: Terminator Salvation question... - 25/11/2009 11:22:03 AM   
jobloffski

Er...identify him again, as a way of telling the audience they're aware he's actually arrived and their eyes are right on him?

Chance survival stuff, perhaps like Connors (pretty ridiculous) jump into the sea, survival is assured because certain things are predestined? Or...um...

Depending on what Skynet knows (maybe there's more time jiggery pokery to be revealed) killing Reese before he gets to skynet would stop his genes being passed on to john, so his survival is pure chance,and since john already exists in the timeline, killing reese wouldn't kill john so, so to semi quote the original film, they're just being thorough and running several plans at the same time to increase the chance of one of them working?

In short, I don't really know.

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 384
RE: Terminator Salvation question... - 25/11/2009 12:10:07 PM   
CORLEONE

The space-time continuum. All bets are off

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 385
RE: Terminator Salvation question... - 25/11/2009 12:20:37 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: grucl

Reese didn't just knock Sarah up he gave her the inner strength that she passed on to their son. If Joe nobody was John's dad and Sarah never met Kyle John Connor not have been the saviour of humanity. 

Kyle Reese is the most important character in the series. He triggers it all.

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 386
RE: Terminator Salvation question... - 26/11/2009 9:11:44 PM   
target

I actually really enjoyed this on my second viewing on DVD. Maybe not the terminator film id been waiting for, but a good action film none the less. 

We're not retreating we're advancing in another direction

Thanks for the AV darthbane.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 387
RE: Terminator Salvation question... - 27/11/2009 10:10:32 AM   
grucl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir
Kyle Reese is the most important character in the series. He triggers it all.

You know, that bit made me think. Reese's journey not only creates John Connor but also Skynet.

So wouldn't it be dangerous for Skynet to try and prevent Reese from travelling back in time (if it kills Connor, he can't send Reese back)? If Reese doesn't travel back in time and helps Sarah defeat the T-101 in that factory Skynet may never be built (same as John Connor may never be born).

If Skynet were successful in killing Sarah before Johns birth or John and/or Reese before Reese is sent back it would terminate its own existence!

< Message edited by grucl -- 27/11/2009 10:15:17 AM >

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 388
RE: Terminator Salvation question... - 27/11/2009 11:08:49 AM   
LEEJGM

Maybe it will work out in some future films that the resistance thinks Conner is inadvertently the cause of everything and therefore they believe that stopping/killing Reese is the only thing that will stop Skynet.  Maybe the Teminators that were sent back were sent by the resistance and The Terminators sent back to protect John were sent by Skynet. 
The series has become stupid enough, surely this idea isn't too off the wall...

< Message edited by LEEJGM -- 27/11/2009 11:18:38 AM >

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 389
RE: Terminator Salvation question... - 27/11/2009 11:09:29 AM   
LEEJGM

double post

< Message edited by LEEJGM -- 27/11/2009 11:12:44 AM >

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 390
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 12 [13] 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Devin from CHUD reviews for Empire?? Page: <<   < prev  10 11 12 [13] 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI