Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Knight of Fury

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Knight of Fury Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Knight of Fury - 20/5/2009 3:05:30 PM   
Companero

quote:

ORIGINAL: filmburner30

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/may/20/cannes-film-festival-tarantino-inglourious-basterds

Blimey Peter Bradshaw holds nothing back here

Not a fan of Mr Bradshaw's rants, which that review most definitely is.

For the record, I think the coverage on here today has been great and really informative, futher fuelling my desire to see IB. It's going to be a long three months.

(in reply to filmburner30)
Post #: 31
- 20/5/2009 3:07:36 PM   
vader100

An "action movie with out the action".....so it's just a movie. Not really selling it to me.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 32
RE: - 20/5/2009 3:41:21 PM   
onyx79

This isn't just any movie, this is a Quentin Tarantino movie.

Support the making of "Invasion of the not quite dead" and become a producer TODAY by donating to www.theindywoodproject.com

(in reply to vader100)
Post #: 33
- 20/5/2009 3:43:22 PM   
UTB

I find this "but QT dialogue is so much better than most other screenwriters that it’s hard to quibble. " hard to swallow.

I would argue that 10 years ago QT's dialogue was better, but Death Proof and Kill Bill contained some of the worst dialogue in a major motion picture for a long time, Death Proof especially.

Post #: 34
RE: RE: - 20/5/2009 3:43:25 PM   
Oddward

I believe it is meant in the same way that Redervoir Dogs is a Heist movie without any actual Heist

"If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed."
- Stanley Kubrick

(in reply to onyx79)
Post #: 35
We've seen Inglourious Basterds.... - 20/5/2009 4:14:15 PM   
MathewRed

Well, lucky you. This just made me more excited.

Post #: 36
RE: Knight of Fury - 20/5/2009 4:30:50 PM   
Mr E

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/cannes-film-festival/5355842/Inglourious-Basterds-at-Cannes-2009---review.html

Sukhdev Sandhu gives a pretty negative review in the Telegraph and I seem to remember him really liking Kill Bill. It looks like it's a case of too much boring dialogue again, just like the awful Death Proof.

(in reply to onyx79)
Post #: 37
so How was Mike Myers? - 20/5/2009 4:54:50 PM   
cakeytea

Will this ressurect his career after the dog poo of doom the love guru ?

(in reply to Mr E)
Post #: 38
Sorry, not convinced! - 20/5/2009 4:55:12 PM   
dogstarman

Everything since 'Jackie Brown' has been painful!

I'll probably go and see it out of morbid curiousity, but QT's 'Dogs' and 'Pulp' days seem to be long gone.

And that is a real shame!

Post #: 39
RE: Knight of Fury - 20/5/2009 4:57:04 PM  1 votes
onyx79

Just read it and I didn't feel it was that negative. Sure the reviewer did not like the film but it has not said it was such a bad movie either. Like in most comments I've read, he expected a "choreography of blood-ballet" but instead he felt there was too much "yakking". Sure after you have seen the like of Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2 and Pulp Fiction and after the hype surrounding the film saying that Tarantino "was back in form" you would think that QT would deliver a "symphony in blood major". Some people didn't like Deathproof for the same reason "all talk no actions" but there is a group of people out there who actually really enjoyed the dialogue in Deathproof more than the action itself. Sounds like QT has done something similar for IB, we could be in for something interesting. Guess we'll have to watch the film and decide for ourselves ;o)

Support the making of "Invasion of the not quite dead" and become a producer TODAY by donating to www.theindywoodproject.com

(in reply to Mr E)
Post #: 40
RE: Knight of Fury - 20/5/2009 5:45:04 PM   
kenada_woo

Reviews seem a mixed bag, which is the feeling I got from reading the script.

Everything mentioned such as the opening scene, the bar scene, the Jew Hunter character which are getting praised as highlights are superbly written and excellent scenes/characters, stand outs in the script that are QT on his game. 

Its just the filler in between where the problems seem to lie.  But I'll judge when the flick is out. 

Is it me or are not many people getting too excited over the new Tarantino film?

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to onyx79)
Post #: 41
RE: We've Seen Inglourious Basterds! - 20/5/2009 6:24:30 PM   
CORLEONE

Chris, you lucky basterd

Can't wait for this. Tarantino + World War II = fucktastic.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

Post #: 42
RE: Pitt... - 20/5/2009 6:33:56 PM  1 votes
Jasper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Hewitt

OK, Jasper, not everything Pitt says is hilarious. But the character has a strong comedic tinge and that plays much more strongly as the film goes on. But neither does Tarantino let us forget that Raine is a ruthless badass, even if the role doesn't really require Pitt to do any physical stuff.

Pitt as the ultimate badass is a long shot, even more so with that odd accent he's accustomed. Against-type casting, hope it works out.

quote:

If all scenes in movies are about control, Tarantino understands that perhaps better than anybody, and some of the scenes here the opening exchange between Landa and a French dairy farmer, and the Reservoir Dogs-esque scene in French bar, La Louisiane are masterclasses in how to switch control from character to character. Indeed, both scenes are as tense as anything Tarantino has ever done in his career.

It's an interesting point you're raising. The scene in Pulp Fiction where Butch crashes into Marsellus with his Honda, they fight in the shop, they're captured by two psychopaths, Marsellus is raped, Butch escapes, reconsiders and saves Marsellus, Marsellus then lets Butch go -- it's probably the best example of this concept. If Inglorious Basterds features a scene half as switchin' and tense as this, it'll be worth seeing I for sure.  

< Message edited by Jasper -- 21/5/2009 9:00:20 AM >

"Some people will offer you their hand and some won't

Last night I knew ya, tonight I don't

I need something strong, to distract my mind

I'm gonna look at you, till my eyes go blind"

(in reply to Chris Hewitt)
Post #: 43
RE: Pitt... - 20/5/2009 6:46:08 PM   
directorscut

Not mention of Maggie Cheung at all in that piece - the only reason I might watch this film when it appears on terrestrial TV in a couple of years.  I'm guessing she's barely in it.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Jasper)
Post #: 44
RE: Pitt... - 20/5/2009 7:31:50 PM   
Evil_Bob

quote:

Not mention of Maggie Cheung at all in that piece - the only reason I might watch this film when it appears on terrestrial TV in a couple of years.  I'm guessing she's barely in it.

Yeah she is barely in it. In fact I wasn't actually sure who it is that she played in it. Her and Julia Dreyfus's characters are easy to confuse

How dare you call me inhumane. Right you fucker. I'm going to do the washing up.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 45
RE: Pitt... - 20/5/2009 7:33:47 PM   
Dave B

The only reason I want to see this is because Michael Fassbender's in it. He gave the best performance of last year in Hunger and I can't wait to see what he delivers here. Unfortunately he'll be lumbered with naff dialogue, where every character sounds like Quentin bloody Tarantino.

Hey, what's with the flying jerks?

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 46
RE: Knight of Fury - 20/5/2009 7:54:33 PM   
Knight of Fury

hardly abuse helen, and it's more a dig at empire in general.  i like empire, i do, but i get rather tired of the cheerleading you guys occasionally slip into. my problem with this is this:  if the film isn't all that good empire gets to have it's cake and eat it.

i am a film fan, and a film maker, i just feel more comfortable when the people that report on and judge movies (such as yourselves) are obviously seperate from the studios and productiuon companies who make (and sell) the films.  yes it's great when critics are genuinely excited about a film but that doesn't mean active promotion of a filmaker who really doesn't need the help.

one of the reasons i stopped buying empire for a while was reading things like the preview of the matrix sequels a few years ago ('You will believe the CGI is live action, and the live action is CGI!').  recently there has been an improvement, i just get disheartened when you slip into your old ways.

i'm not suggesting you are in the industry's pocket, i just fell  more comfortable when that's more clear.  i'm sorry if that offends anyone, it's just how i feel.

(in reply to Helen OHara)
Post #: 47
CANNY WAIT - 20/5/2009 7:54:36 PM   
Director

This looks amazing!

Post #: 48
RE: CANNY WAIT - 20/5/2009 8:12:47 PM   
Evil_Bob

quote:

The only reason I want to see this is because Michael Fassbender's in it. He gave the best performance of last year in Hunger and I can't wait to see what he delivers here. Unfortunately he'll be lumbered with naff dialogue, where every character sounds like Quentin bloody Tarantino.

He's great in it. He's also great in Fish Tank as well.
The problem is that he's underused in IB

How dare you call me inhumane. Right you fucker. I'm going to do the washing up.

(in reply to Director)
Post #: 49
- 20/5/2009 9:56:40 PM  1 votes
TheJOKER18

Uh, Uma Thurman drew a box on the screen in Kill Bill, not Pulp Fiction

Post #: 50
RE: - 20/5/2009 10:31:29 PM  1 votes
durelius

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheJOKER18

Hmm think you might want to check your facts there Joker, definitely Pulp Fiction Uma to Travolta as they are about to enter Jack Rabbit Slims "Don't be such a .."
Can't wait to see this Tarantino is the epitome of originality in my opinion, I'd rather watch any Tarantino film than the likes of Angels and Demons any day that's not to say I don't like Tom Hanks or Ron Howard, just you can kind of imagine how that film is going to beat, IB I have no idea what to expect, except so sparky dialogue.

I'm not going to nuke the dog!

(in reply to TheJOKER18)
Post #: 51
RE: - 20/5/2009 11:09:26 PM   
blamecanada

quote:

good one buddy.  have you even seen either film?

(in reply to TheJOKER18)
Post #: 52
EMPIRE IS ON QT'S NUTS!!! - 21/5/2009 5:24:41 AM   
delo21

It looks alright!!!!! When I first seen Grindhouse i thought it was good also, then I seen it a second time and felt the characters were quite annoying. The dalogue always seem the same through out his films. I dont think empire would give the film a negative review if it was a piece of shit.

Post #: 53
I'm on the fence - 21/5/2009 9:02:24 AM  1 votes
Calsterman

The trailer makes it look brilliant but I have to remind myself that it is a Tarantino movie. When I saw Grindhouse I was blown away by Planet Terror and then bored to death by the purile death proof. Proving that Rodriguez is a better director than Tarantino. But the premise seems good, it looks visually stunning and the cast is top notch (you know except Eli Roth) so I am still unsure whether to see it.

Post #: 54
RE: - 21/5/2009 12:54:27 PM   
silenttheo

quote:

Yeah close, but she actually does it in both films! Its even outlined in Pulp Fiction, but not in Bill.

Derp!

Too crazy to live to Rare to die!

(in reply to TheJOKER18)
Post #: 55
RE: RE: - 21/5/2009 1:44:40 PM   
Super Hans

That Guardian review makes me laugh - it reminds me a bit of when Homer became a food critic in The Simpsons and just sets out to slag everything off.

Havent got round to reading the Empire piece properly yet but christ, some people need to get over themselves! Not everyone has followed the backlash bandwagon in recent years to suddenly decide Tarantino is shit after all - it's still possible that some people enjoy his stuff!

At any rate I can't help thinking this sounds like it will be more like the daft/less serious Kill Bill than the likes of Jackie Brown so personally I'll be trying not to compare it to his first 3 films.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to silenttheo)
Post #: 56
RE: RE: - 21/5/2009 3:07:29 PM  1 votes
filmburner30

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/reviews/first-night-inglourious-basterds-cannes-film-festival-1688625.html

This seems a more balanced review.
I will be going to see it though as i feel the crtics are just looking to kick QT all the time.
Real film fans love all the reverance to other films in his work as it makes you seek out the films that inspired him and that cant be a bad thing can it?
Oh and it got Rod Taylor in it who was in Hitchcocks The Birds

< Message edited by filmburner30 -- 21/5/2009 3:08:56 PM >

"Where are you calling from Milo?"
"The bottom of the pool?"

"Im The Anti Christ.You got me in a Vendetta kind of mood"

"Come back Alan , You Wanker!"

"Your a Doctor,Deal with it"

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 57
ARGHGHGHG - 21/5/2009 9:15:38 PM   
Jayk2912

Can't. Wait. Ah. Can't. Wait. Eep. So. Excited. Ah. Can't. Talk. In. Complete. Sentances. Excitement. Has. Impaired. Speech.

Post #: 58
Really excited...but - 23/5/2009 1:35:27 AM   
Mad Mac

Personally, I can't wait for this film. But I've said the same over all Tarantino's flicks when really I don't think he'll ever touch the brilliance of Pulp Fiction again.

Post #: 59
- 24/5/2009 1:15:59 PM   
mcgraner

she drew a box on screen in pulp fiction jus b4 she goes into jack rabbit slims wit vincent an in kill bill she does an outline of a box jus b4 the vernita greene fight

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Knight of Fury Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI