Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

We've Seen Inglourious Basterds!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> We've Seen Inglourious Basterds! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
We've Seen Inglourious Basterds! - 20/5/2009 10:45:31 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
meh - 20/5/2009 10:45:31 AM  1 votes
CHUFFSTER

Yawn,etc,etc

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 20/5/2009 10:46:07 AM   
dctuck

Okay... not exactly a news story...
Is it "rather brilliant" as in "Quentin Tarantino directed, so therefore we're going to say it's brilliant, even though it sucks almost as badly as Death Proof did", or is it ACTUALLY a good film...? I wait with baited breath to find out more

Post #: 3
Only 3 months to wait..... - 20/5/2009 10:46:53 AM   
silenttheo

.....so long. Really cant wait to see his take on this one. Rewatched Jackie Brown last night, cant see why some people dont like it.

Post #: 4
I think you didn't like it - 20/5/2009 10:48:20 AM   
Ethanial

A lot of ways to read into the twitter comments, but I'm gonna say you're crying on the inside as it refused to be as goo as Death Proof?
So 5 stars?

Post #: 5
RE: I think you didn't like it - 20/5/2009 11:06:31 AM   
Jasper

I am anticipating this new Tarantino, even though, after The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, I've become wary of two-and-a-half-hour Brad Pitt movies considered brilliant by the critics, including Empire.  

Still, everything Pitt says is 'hilarious'?

Didn't get that from the clips, I'm afraid. So it's more a comedy than an action movie, then?

< Message edited by Jasper -- 20/5/2009 1:28:54 PM >

"Some people will offer you their hand and some won't

Last night I knew ya, tonight I don't

I need something strong, to distract my mind

I'm gonna look at you, till my eyes go blind"

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 6
Tarantino bashing - 20/5/2009 11:12:43 AM   
Fink621

Ah yes, let the 'bashing Tarantino is cool' nonsense begin!

This is the most exciting release of the year people!!!

Post #: 7
Pitt... - 20/5/2009 11:19:00 AM   
Chris Hewitt

OK, Jasper, not everything Pitt says is hilarious. But the character has a strong comedic tinge and that plays much more strongly as the film goes on. But neither does Tarantino let us forget that Raine is a ruthless badass, even if the role doesn't really require Pitt to do any physical stuff.

Post #: 8
- 20/5/2009 11:22:10 AM   
BlackJackBauer

Chris, is this a return to form after a so so couple of years?

Post #: 9
RE: Tarantino bashing - 20/5/2009 11:27:14 AM   
onyx79

This probably my number one "have to watch" film for this summer with Revenge of the Fallen coming close second of course but still! Quentin Tarantino is a genius, in my opinion, I love the fact that a mass of people either hate or love his work and that is proof in itself that QT is always delivering the most talked about films everytime he takes the director's chair. "Brad Pitt"? Never really been a brilliant actor in my eyes, in a way I wish someone else had been chosen for his role. To me BP is one those over-rated actor Hollywood could do without, instead, he should let that fresh deserving blood take centre stage.
Anyway, I am looking forward to reading Empire's review and other magazines too, and ultimately looking forward to seeing "Inglorious Basterds"

Support the making of "Invasion of the not quite dead" and become a producer TODAY by donating to www.theindywoodproject.com

(in reply to Fink621)
Post #: 10
RE: Tarantino bashing - 20/5/2009 11:46:34 AM   
Dave B

Did you like Kill Bill and Death Proof Chris and is this film similar is tone and style to those? I only ask because I hated those films, especially Death Proof, and your review does nothing to convince me that Tarantino and grown up and made a proper movie like Jackie Brown.

Hey, what's with the flying jerks?

(in reply to onyx79)
Post #: 11
- 20/5/2009 12:08:43 PM   
raclements

Sounds good.

And thanks for 'oleaginous'- that was a new one on me!

Post #: 12
RE: - 20/5/2009 12:16:11 PM   
Rgirvan44

I'm just amazed that he actully got it ready for Cannes. I rememeber him announcing that last year and saying "I'll believe it when I see it"

Its Tarantino so I'm there anyway, but good to hear that you liked it.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to raclements)
Post #: 13
RE: Tarantino bashing - 20/5/2009 12:16:46 PM  1 votes
Blunderbuss

I remain unconvinced.  I firmly believe that many critics have a 'blind spot' when it comes to QT movies; ignoring the fact that with the possible exception of Jackie Brown he hasn't yet made a film that stands as a fully rounded, truly satisfying movie experience to which you can return again & again and instead revelling in his tricksy but contrived dialogue and stylistic 'look at me, look at me' flourishes. 

I suspect Inglorious Basterds will provide more of the latter than the former, will be greeted by collective ejaculation of critical praise, will be raved about by slightly nerdy, predominantly male movie fans, will momentarily capture the cultural zeitgeist and will then fail to live up to expectations at the box office, will vanish from the collective memory quite quickly and will fail to stand up to the test of time and become a true, bonafide classic.

Then again I could be wrong...

"oh you don't want to shoot him. You'll just make him mad"

(in reply to Dave B)
Post #: 14
RE: Tarantino bashing - 20/5/2009 12:21:57 PM  1 votes
Rgirvan44

I love Jackie Brown, but it is full of the flourishes that people criticise him for in the other films.

Pulp Ficiton is still a great great movie.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Blunderbuss)
Post #: 15
Please get his c#ck out of your throat - 20/5/2009 12:34:35 PM  1 votes
Wozza31

This is such a gush I don't see how anyone could take it seriously. Even the flaws aren't addressed coz you don't seem to want to talk about them, just wax lyrical about the movie so QT'll keep feeding you his pecker for pleasure.

I ain't seen the movie so I can't say if it's good, bad or as horrifically offensive as the screenplay was, but I can expect some sort of balance and perspective from a movie magazine/website reviewer.

It would've also been nice to have had some perspective about how the audience as a whole reacted. Standing ovation? Boos? Bewildered silence?

Post #: 16
- 20/5/2009 1:01:45 PM   
Blythy

Please, let it have fewer dialogue scenes than death proof. I spent that whole movie waiting and waiting for stuntman mike to get to work.

Post #: 17
NICE! - 20/5/2009 1:10:20 PM   
tonethestone

sounds soooo good from other site reviews too and on twitter. cant wait!! mind you terminator salvation is getting pretty horrific reviews which is a shame

Post #: 18
NICE! - 20/5/2009 1:14:37 PM   
tonethestone

sounds soooo good from other site reviews too and on twitter. cant wait!! mind you terminator salvation is getting pretty horrific reviews which is a shame

Post #: 19
- 20/5/2009 1:33:14 PM  1 votes
Knight of Fury

i realise this isn't the official review, but if it isn't, why publish? i'm genuinely looking forward to this movie, but to publish a total gush-fest (and in the 'news' section) before the review is, frankly, promotion, and that cheapens the impartial credentials of empire. you've seen a movie you want to praise to high heaven? put it in a blog After it's been reviewed officially. otherwise you're just doing the weinsteins' job for them.

Post #: 20
Knight of Fury - 20/5/2009 1:38:07 PM   
tonethestone

dont like it, dont read it mate.

Post #: 21
Knight of Fury - 20/5/2009 1:40:28 PM   
tonethestone

dont like it, dont read it mate.

Post #: 22
RE: Knight of Fury - 20/5/2009 1:57:12 PM   
filmburner30

I have always stuck by QT through alll his phases.hell i liked Deathproof .
So i will be going to see this .i still think he is a good director 

"Where are you calling from Milo?"
"The bottom of the pool?"

"Im The Anti Christ.You got me in a Vendetta kind of mood"

"Come back Alan , You Wanker!"

"Your a Doctor,Deal with it"

(in reply to tonethestone)
Post #: 23
RE: Knight of Fury - 20/5/2009 2:00:35 PM   
bryanbotsareli

IN REPLY TO KNIGHT OF FURY... Get a life mate we all want to know what the first impressions are like, WE ARE FILM FANS ! this is why we log onto the web site ! Get over yourself.

< Message edited by bryanbotsareli -- 20/5/2009 2:02:13 PM >

(in reply to tonethestone)
Post #: 24
Tarantino - 20/5/2009 2:43:53 PM   
markasmarv

I love his movies for the most part...the only one i really disliked was Death Proof..i even thought Kill Bill Vol 2 was pretty good! BUT, the trailers for this left me cold and im aware of the critical gushing his movies tend to receive on initial reaction. That and the fact that i cant even see a picture of Eli Roth without gritting my teeth leaves me still apprehensive..How annoying is the little bastard Chris? On a scale of 8 to 10?

Post #: 25
RE: Knight of Fury - 20/5/2009 2:43:53 PM   
Helen OHara

For the record, this is Chris' initial reaction to the film, and comes from a writer who has had reservations about Tarantino's last couple of films and who was hoping but not expecting to like this. It's news because the film is news, and we figured enough people would be interested to warrant pulling it out of the blog section - and y'all have proved us right.

By all means continue to wait for the official Empire verdict, by all means continue to have reservations, but please don't abuse Chris for liking a film and saying so.

"I never understood drinking. It isn't good for your looks, and it cuts down on what you are. I never wanted to cut down on what I am." - Mae West

"Movies are forever, and sex doesn't last" - Mae West.

(in reply to bryanbotsareli)
Post #: 26
RE: Knight of Fury - 20/5/2009 2:45:50 PM   
filmburner30

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/may/20/cannes-film-festival-tarantino-inglourious-basterds

Blimey Peter Bradshaw holds nothing back here

"Where are you calling from Milo?"
"The bottom of the pool?"

"Im The Anti Christ.You got me in a Vendetta kind of mood"

"Come back Alan , You Wanker!"

"Your a Doctor,Deal with it"

(in reply to Helen OHara)
Post #: 27
RE: Knight of Fury - 20/5/2009 2:58:02 PM   
onyx79

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helen OHara

For the record, this is Chris' initial reaction to the film, and comes from a writer who has had reservations about Tarantino's last couple of films and who was hoping but not expecting to like this. It's news because the film is news, and we figured enough people would be interested to warrant pulling it out of the blog section - and y'all have proved us right.

By all means continue to wait for the official Empire verdict, by all means continue to have reservations, but please don't abuse Chris for liking a film and saying so.

Thanks for stepping in Helen, feared it was going to get messy in here :o)

Support the making of "Invasion of the not quite dead" and become a producer TODAY by donating to www.theindywoodproject.com

(in reply to Helen OHara)
Post #: 28
Peter Bradshaw - 20/5/2009 3:00:21 PM   
tonethestone

he loved mamma mia and transformers, ignore him!

Post #: 29
RE: Knight of Fury - 20/5/2009 3:04:16 PM   
onyx79

quote:

ORIGINAL: filmburner30

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/may/20/cannes-film-festival-tarantino-inglourious-basterds

Blimey Peter Bradshaw holds nothing back here

Ouch! He almost sounds like he's never watched a QT movie in his entire life! That guy also sound like he's been paid to hammer the film down. Anyway, proves my point, QT has yet again given birth to Marmite: some will love some won't. Can't wait to watch this film...Si seulement j'etais a Cannes aujourd'hui...

(in reply to filmburner30)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> We've Seen Inglourious Basterds! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI