Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: season 6 part 2?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: season 6 part 2? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: season 6 part 2? - 3/5/2011 3:15:58 PM   
vad3r

Two things The Sopranos has over The Wire is the humour and the characters. The Wire although it has the occasional humour, comes nowhere close to The Sopranos, which could have almost been a comedy it's that funny.

And as for characters, The Sopranos has the best in the history of television.

Tony, Paulie, Silvio, Carmella, Christopher, Bacala, Uncle Junior, Johnny Sack, Janice, Dr. Melfi, Ralphie, Adriana, Meadow, Vito, Artie, AJ, Phil Leotardo, Furio, Hesh, Livia, Tony B, Patsy, Richie Aprile.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 61
RE: The Sopranos - 3/5/2011 4:37:48 PM   
Zaphod121

I always found most of the characters on The Sopranos unlikable, never really warmed to them.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 62
RE: season 6 part 2? - 3/5/2011 8:18:57 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

quote:

I don't know why people feel the need to compare them in the first place - they're both sodding brilliant but as has been said - chalk and cheese. The main difference being that The Sopranos is ultimately about one person.

Except it isn't. You can just as easily argue that The Sopranos is Christopher's story.

The Sopranos is ultimately about Tony's two families.

You could argue that, but you wouldn't win  
There are many, many reasons why it's more Tony's story, the main one being...

HUGE SPOILERS BELOW FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN THE WHOLE SERIES (WHAT EXACTLY HAVE YOU BEEN DOING ALL THESE YEARS?)

...the series ended the second Tony died, not Chris.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 3/5/2011 8:30:39 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 63
The Sopranos - 3/5/2011 8:41:35 PM   
vad3r

SPOILERS:

Except Tony didn't die during the series. You could also argue he in fact died when Junior shot him.

< Message edited by vad3r -- 3/5/2011 8:49:48 PM >

quote:

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 64
RE: The Sopranos - 3/5/2011 8:56:28 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

SPOILERS:

Except Tony didn't die during the series.

SPOILERS (AGAIN)

True, he didn't die during it - he died the exact second it ended.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 65
RE: The Sopranos - 3/5/2011 9:04:10 PM   
vad3r

SPOILERS:

That's just one interpretation. It's not a fact that Tony died. You didn't see him dead, blood, gun shot, screams, a killer, nothing.

quote:

Post #: 66
RE: The Sopranos - 3/5/2011 10:23:26 PM   
horribleives

Have a read of this:

http://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/

It's the best analysis of the final scene (and the series as a whole) I've ever read. In fact, I'm convinced David Chase wrote it himself.
There's a lot to get through but it's worth it (the first part in particular, with all the stuff about POV shots is quite astounding) and even if you end up not agreeing with all of it, as a Sopranos fan I'm sure you'll lap up with glee like I did. Personally, it backed up how I kind of interpreted the ending anyway but goes into so much more detail I can't believe I ever thought otherwise. And convinced me David Chase is an even bigger genius than I thought.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 67
RE: The Sopranos - 11/5/2011 10:48:34 AM   
discodave101

Just finished watching it all last night after starting Season 1 back in January.

Great great original show, ingenious writing. Never seen anything like it before. One of those shows you can discuss and analyse at length with other viewers. I love that fact that the drama was never hyped up with a score to over-emotionalise parts of it, which is standard fare for TV nowadays.

So, finale spoilers below:
My favourite story thread in the final season was actually Tony and the psychiatrist, and her realisation that she'd actually probably helped him along the whole time. She'd somehow therefore been indirectly implicit for his actions. By helping him rationalise and deal with his own actions and thoughts, she'd actually created more of a criminal and sociopathic monster, who used the therapy to be a better criminal, not a better person.

At first, I was like 'WTF' with the final scene. But then, after reading things online, it all became crystal clear and ingenious. I also read the article horribleives mentions, and that's a cracker. Yeah, you can kinda interpret it how you like, but I'm sure it was his death that we finished on.

"Softly softly, catchy monkey"

"I didn't know you spoke spanish"

Post #: 68
RE: The Sopranos - 12/5/2011 10:15:26 PM   
horribleives

Ooh, Sopranos discussions! How I've missed them.

SPOILERS BELOW

Yeah it is interesting and ultimately kind of bleak the way Tony's relationship with Melfi pans out. While she remains commited to him as a patient throughout and always resists the temptations to sully her profession (by allowing Tony to deal with her rapist, for instance, or sleeping with him), by the end it becomes clear that she's inadvertently enabled and excused his bad behaviour throughout - I love the crushing realisation in the penultimate episode when she's reading the article in bed, though I do think this was one strand that was perhaps a tiny bit rushed in the otherwise flawless final two episodes.

With regards to the finale, David Chase has explicitly refered to key scenes in Soprano Home Movies and Stage 5 (respectively Bobby and Tony on the boat and Silvio discussing the murder he witnessed) as being pointers towards understanding the final scene, as well as stating in numerous interviews that it is neither ambigious nor open to interpretation, that something very specific is going on and if you look closely 'it's all there'. Say no more. Glad you agree with me anyway

So now you've watched them all what's your favourite episode? There's several for me but the most affecting (just behind Made In America and University) will always be Long Term Parking. Still the most shocking and emotionally devestating hour of television I've ever witnessed.

(in reply to discodave101)
Post #: 69
RE: The Sopranos - 13/5/2011 11:07:30 AM   
discodave101

Its really hard to pick out a favourite episode, as I was watching 2 or 3 at a time via the box set, so everything kinda merged into one. Its more about key scenes/events than particular episodes for me.

SPOILERS BELOW

The killing of Adriana is a definite stand-out memory, particularly the way Sil did it seemingly with such ease, and, for me, really not knowing which way Chris would go once he found out. Her drive in the car with Sil seemed to take forever.....brilliantly played edge of the seat drama.....

"Softly softly, catchy monkey"

"I didn't know you spoke spanish"

Post #: 70
RE: The Sopranos - 14/5/2011 5:11:45 PM   
boaby

I used to stick the next DVD hoping to see as many of those absolute %&$*! get killed as possible.

Especially AJ. I absolutely loathe AJ.

Spolier:

If I was Tony I'd have let the little sh!t drown. Sat down, lit a cigar, and laughed contentedly as the last bubble escaped the mouth of the little ballsack.

In conclusion. Nae enough of them died.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to discodave101)
Post #: 71
RE: The Sopranos - 21/2/2014 6:07:07 AM   
khaos11

How wonder to see several threads of the one show here. Couldn't discuss everything in one?

I've seen "The Sopranos" about ten times from cover to cover. Right now it's going the eleventh one with original subs and "true" translation with curses and swears use. Of course no role of Gandolfini in a big cinema may go in compare with this Tony's. It has become a peculiar gravitas for me personally.
I remember while watching "Breaking Bad" I thought that TV show with Walter White might dethrone Tony but it didn't happen. The "Breaking Bad" schtick is in it's ingenious intrigues from the first to the last episode when "The Sopranos" may be watched separately from one episode to another. But anyway those two shows are the best for me. More than after Gandolfini's death Bryan Cranston said that no Walter White could be without Tony.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 72
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: season 6 part 2? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI