Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Lie To Me - Tim Roth's Cop Show

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Lie To Me - Tim Roth's Cop Show Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Lie To Me - Tim Roth's Cop Show - 18/5/2009 12:59:05 PM   
Timon

Bit of a twist on the whole cop show thing, Tim Roth is an expert at telling if you're lying or not.

Pretty generic but like 'Life' and 'Castle' before it, it all hangs on the charisma of its lead actor... who thankfully is sticking with his native accent.

Saw the pilot last night. Was fun enough.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: Lie To Me - Tim Roth's Cop Show - 18/5/2009 2:46:38 PM   
Zaphod121

I liked it alot, it's got the usual glossy American pretty people feel, but a good cast with great chemistry and an interesting twist on the genre make far more watchable than crap like CSI, I'll be sticking around.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 2
RE: Lie To Me - Tim Roth's Cop Show - 18/5/2009 3:05:47 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

I watched this and although it was pretty enjoyable it was a lot like The Mentalist, the good thing being the scientific side behind how he does what he does. I'll give this a go for now.

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 3
RE: Lie To Me - Tim Roth's Cop Show - 18/5/2009 5:32:15 PM   
Captain Black

Speaking of accents, I remember an interview with Tim Roth (I think in Empire) years ago when he was talking about accents and was asked by Speilberg if he could do a German one. (I assume it was for Goeth in Schindler's). His response was just one of my all time favourite quotes: "Well that depends....which part of Germany are you thinking of?" 

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 4
RE: Lie To Me - Tim Roth's Cop Show - 18/5/2009 5:54:50 PM   
Mycroft

13 episodes in and still with it. Roth is the familiar tortured, arrogant genius but all of them having the same "power" varies things a bit.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 5
RE: Lie To Me - Tim Roth's Cop Show - 18/5/2009 8:20:22 PM   
Caster

Another cop show? (puts gun in mouth)

(in reply to Mycroft)
Post #: 6
RE: Lie To Me - Tim Roth's Cop Show - 18/5/2009 10:01:26 PM   
Underscore

I haven't seen this show but I might do if it picks up in quality, which it might do in it's second season as...

Shawn Ryan is taking over as the showrunner. The Shield was one of the few TV shows which did not drop in quality throughout its entire run. Fingers crossed he can work his magic on this and Tim Roth can hit a few episodes out of the park.

'Josh: Couldn't you just drop me off the Washington Monument? Bartlet: It's Christmas Josh!, no reason why we can't do both!

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 7
RE: Lie To Me - Tim Roth's Cop Show - 18/5/2009 10:08:26 PM   
punchdrunk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Caster

Another cop show? (puts gun in mouth)

But...it's different because he can tell people are lying by body language as opposed to math or autism, psychic powers 

The trailer looked awful. 

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 8
RE: Lie To Me - Tim Roth's Cop Show - 19/5/2009 12:58:45 AM   
indysgill

I have enjoyed the first episode and will be seeing how it goes on.
Didn't know it was upto 13 episodes already in the states.

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 9
RE: Lie To Me - Tim Roth's Cop Show - 22/5/2009 10:25:13 PM   
Sean Archer

quote:

I haven't seen this show but I might do if it picks up in quality, which it might do in it's second season as...

How do you know what the level of quality is without seeing it?

(in reply to Underscore)
Post #: 10
RE: Lie To Me - Tim Roth's Cop Show - 23/5/2009 11:30:24 AM   
Underscore

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sean Archer

quote:

How do you know what the level of quality is without seeing it?

Well for one thing, a show which has it's showrunner removed and replaced after a season is hardly a good sign. If the show was successful on a commercial and critical front they wouldn't be changing things.

Secondly, because I can take other people's word on it. There's enough reviews for any TV show if you look in the right places. These are the same places which tell me to watch The Wire, The West Wing, The Shield, The Sopranos, Arrested Development and so on, and not waste my valuable time on a show which is subpar.

'Josh: Couldn't you just drop me off the Washington Monument? Bartlet: It's Christmas Josh!, no reason why we can't do both!

(in reply to Sean Archer)
Post #: 11
RE: Lie To Me - Tim Roth's Cop Show - 23/5/2009 11:50:44 AM   
Baby Bear

I have always enjoyed Tim Roth and his choices of the quirkier roles.

I like the show, but, I'm wondering just how far the basic story can go.............

Oh, and has anybody been trying to use his techniques?

I have..............I used the repeat the story backward one on my neice the other day, when I suspected she had been fibbing as to the events of the day. It bloody worked!

" At least he was asleep when I hit him with the shovel......." Moses Lawn. RIP

Has tin foil hat issues ( thanks Woger...love it )

Felix: "Poor guy. They must be like space hoppers by now."

lympo :
I have no idea how the idea came about! one moment I was eating turkey, the next i was on all fours

Daz : Get. A fucking. Room.

(in reply to Underscore)
Post #: 12
RE: Lie To Me - Tim Roth's Cop Show - 25/5/2009 10:10:09 AM   
sanchia

I have only seen two so far and found the first to be highly enjoyable. The second however I found a struggle to get through. It just failed to catch my attention and the plot just meandered from one plotline to another with neither being particularly engaging. hopefully episode three will be better again.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Baby Bear)
Post #: 13
RE: Lie To Me - Tim Roth's Cop Show - 28/5/2009 9:12:30 AM   
Mason Verger

Deceiver (1998) probably helped in him being cast.

< Message edited by Mason Verger -- 28/5/2009 9:13:16 AM >

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 14
RE: Lie To Me - Tim Roth's Cop Show - 29/5/2009 1:53:04 PM   
Blunderbuss

Okay, we're three eps in and IMO this show really needs to up its game...

The novelty of the pseudo-science bit is wearing off and whilst Roth's is giving a good account of himself as the 'difficult genius with a dark past' character he alone is not enough to keep the show afloat.  The supporting characters need to be far beefier.  The older woman (even their names aren't memorable) is just bland and the actor in the slightly-quirky-but-handsome younger male role does the slightly quirky bit well enough and has some decent lines but is underused.  As for the new female Latino recruit, she should be the one character the audience associate with most strongly; their eyes and ears as she and they are introduced to this unfamiliar world.  Instead she just seems constantly pissed off/frustrated with Roth's character all time and that's about it.

They also really need to improve the 'mysteries of the week' element of the show.  Last night's high school murder mystery wasn't bad because it was predictable.  It was bad because it was dull.  I just didn't care one iota about who did it or why.  The secondary plot with the NASA test pilot was equally uninteresting but also suffered from being predictable and being given so little screen time that it felt ridiculously rushed (they watch two videos of the pilot, come up with a theory, prove the theory with one test and solve the mystery, all in about three one minute scenes.  Whoohoo!!).  The same could be said for last week's plot with the Basketball player (the main plot that week was better but not much).

Lie to Me is in danger of becoming one of those shows with a great hook/USP that is poorly executed.  Unless they tighten up the characterisation or the plotting or both I can see this becoming a show I catch from time to time if nothing else is on but not one I ever make an concerted effort to watch

"oh you don't want to shoot him. You'll just make him mad"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 15
RE: Lie To Me - Tim Roth's Cop Show - 29/5/2009 5:48:10 PM   
sanchia

I am up to number 5 and it has really settled into a pattern, and not a particularly interesting one. They are alluding to some mystery in the past of Tim Roth's character who is so two dimensional so far that he really needs some more character. The secondary characters all have a specific role to play (the pretty hispanic lady to be the sceptic and take everything personally, the pretty business partner lady to be accpting of theories etc, the bloke who needs a shave to be comedy relief). That is pretty much it so far. Something happens Tim Roth turns up and solves it, dull secondary subplot interspaced, repeat.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Blunderbuss)
Post #: 16
RE: Lie To Me - Tim Roth's Cop Show - 29/5/2009 5:50:15 PM   
Timon

It's entertaining enough but the secondary characters (and subplot) need working on. At least Castle (whilst riding on the charm of its lead) has decent supporting characters who are funny/witty/interesting in their own right.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 17
RE: Lie To Me - Tim Roth's Cop Show - 30/5/2009 7:25:56 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Have to agree with most of what is being said. I much prefer The Mentalist to this at the moment. The supporting cast and 'Red John'/background are far better and entertaining.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 18
RE: Lie To Me - Tim Roth's Cop Show - 30/5/2009 8:56:13 PM   
QB

A showrunner being fired isn't actually an indiction of quality, the showrunner for the first series of the Mentalist has been fired.  Experienced showrunners may be hired by writers and producers for a new show and if it's a hit they might decide they no longer want to share the glory.

Thanks for dropping by.

Post #: 19
RE: Lie To Me - Tim Roth's Cop Show - 8/6/2009 10:32:35 AM   
Base

Well, I watched the first 3 over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed them.  Can see it running out of steam quickly but I'll  stick with it.

How accurate is the science behind it tho, I read that Cal Lightman was based on a real guy...?

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to QB)
Post #: 20
RE: Lie To Me - Tim Roth's Cop Show - 9/6/2009 4:17:11 PM   
Timon

I do like how they back up the theory behind expressions by showing news footage of famous people doing them.

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 21
RE: Lie To Me - Tim Roth's Cop Show - 9/6/2009 4:39:16 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I do like how they back up the theory behind expressions by showing news footage of famous people doing them.

Yeah that's a clever feature, I've noticed Bill Clinton three times already....

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 22
RE: Lie To Me - Tim Roth's Cop Show - 9/6/2009 7:54:37 PM   
Base

I looked up the website of the guy that Roth's character is based on, http://www.paulekman.com/ .

The training program that they use on the show to identify the mico-expressions is on there, but it's not free unfortunately. I'm itching to try some of that stuff out in the classroom

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

Post #: 23
RE: Lie To Me - Tim Roth's Cop Show - 10/6/2009 11:36:47 AM   
Marky_Mark

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baby Bear

Oh, and has anybody been trying to use his techniques?

I have..............I used the repeat the story backward one on my neice the other day, when I suspected she had been fibbing as to the events of the day. It bloody worked!

I'm still a bigger Mentalist fan (as a series The Mentalist seems to have more legs and I care about the characters more)....but I am still enjoying Lie to Me hugely. Especially like the clips of politicians that they drop-in.

I DID find myself using one the techniques the other day when my girlfriend was talking about her mate inviting her out to dinner.....she initially seemed happy I noticed a little microexpression of disgust and when I quizzed her on it she did mention that she'd recently found out that she's been cheating on her partner and didn't want anything to do with her!

< Message edited by Marky_Mark -- 10/6/2009 1:22:50 PM >

Ramblings of a musician, telly addict, and tech-head...

www.twitter.com/MarkSaysThis

XBOX Live Gamertag: Roost N Roll

(in reply to Baby Bear)
Post #: 24
RE: Lie To Me - Tim Roth's Cop Show - 10/6/2009 11:51:48 AM   
Fanboyslayer

Not sure how much in the way of legs the concept has got but I like Roth and I've really enjoyed all the episodes I've caught so far. I love the way they show the news footage of real people as others have said. Not too sure on the supporting characters yet but so far so good for me. 

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to Marky_Mark)
Post #: 25
RE: Lie To Me - Tim Roth's Cop Show - 12/6/2009 11:54:23 PM   
Lang

Tim Roth is reason i tuned into this as you don't see him playing the good guy alot...plenty of skeletons in the closet.

The  show as whole is very good, love the scientific aspect....i wouldn't lie

(in reply to Fanboyslayer)
Post #: 26
RE: Lie To Me - Tim Roth's Cop Show - 16/6/2009 8:37:10 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Yeah that's a clever feature, I've noticed Bill Clinton three times already....

Make that four times after this weeks episode......what a lying little shit he was!

Post #: 27
RE: Lie To Me - Tim Roth's Cop Show - 17/6/2009 11:29:38 AM   
impqueen

I'm just about to start series one, it looks far too similar to the premise of The Mentalist which despite being entertaining and having the pretty Simon Baker in the lead is incredibly throwaway at times but has managed to keep me interested even though most of the murderers are sign posted very early…anyway on to Tim Roth.   

< Message edited by impqueen -- 17/6/2009 11:32:35 AM >

Yes, always.

Post #: 28
RE: Lie To Me - Tim Roth's Cop Show - 7/8/2009 11:19:40 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Well that was the most anti-climatic series finale in history......

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 29
RE: Lie To Me - Tim Roth's Cop Show - 7/8/2009 11:25:13 PM   
Shifty Bench

In what way, YFU? 

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Lie To Me - Tim Roth's Cop Show Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI