Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Chuck Palahniuk

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Chuck Palahniuk Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Chuck Palahniuk - 10/5/2009 6:59:21 PM   
Dantes Inferno

So, anyone else a fan?

I fell in love with his style after watching Fight Club (how often does it happen that you appreciate the author when you watch a movie?), and after too long, I decided to give one of his books a try, and landed on Survivor (for some odd reason - which I am too lazy to explain).

So, anyone else a fan?

I have ordered Invisible Monsters and Lullaby, and wouldn't be surprised to find out that I love them and eventually run through his entire catalogue, with the only obstacle being the time it takes for the books to arrive and be read by me. I also only read the original English books just so I don't miss his hard prose (as you can tell by my location-thingy under my avatar, I am not English).

So, anyone else a fan?

I usually don't read that many books, mostly because I haven't found something that suited me, but with Palahniuk, it's like I'm reading my dream novels one by one. I did a paper on Survivor the previous week, which I'm hoping turned out okay (haven't gotten it back yet).

So, anyone else a... uuh... I forget.

President of The Wire fan club. PM me to join.
Post #: 1
RE: Chuck Palahniuk - 10/5/2009 7:10:22 PM   
matthewforan

Lullaby is a great book really like it as well as Fight Club Choke is also fantastic the book probably just beats the movie however I did really like Rockwell's performance. I've bought but not read Survivor will probably start in the next week.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Dantes Inferno)
Post #: 2
RE: Chuck Palahniuk - 10/5/2009 7:26:36 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: matthewforan

Lullaby is a great book really like it as well as Fight Club Choke is also fantastic the book probably just beats the movie however I did really like Rockwell's performance. I've bought but not read Survivor will probably start in the next week.

Survivor is pretty great - very underrated in the Palahniuk oeuvre. I haven't read any of his stuff in ages - became a big fan after Fincher's version of Fight Club came out, even met the dude at a couple of signings (really nice guy IIRC), but he seems to have dropped off my radar a bit in the intervening years. Might give Lullaby a go sometime soon in that case.

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 3
RE: Chuck Palahniuk - 10/5/2009 8:26:02 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

Love him. I try not to read his books too often because his style gets a little repetitive after a while but I think he's a fantastic writer. I love Lullaby, it's probably my favourite by him.

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 4
RE: Chuck Palahniuk - 11/5/2009 9:56:17 AM   
Super Hans

I read my first one of his a few weeks back, which was Survivor. Very strange but great book! Loved the completely bonkers story and dark humour - being a fan of Fight Club (the film that is) it was exactly what I had hoped for. It certainly left me wanting to read more Chuck Palahniuk books.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 5
RE: Chuck Palahniuk - 11/5/2009 1:08:07 PM   
sharkboy

You can count me as a fan too.  I got Fight Club from my book club after forgetting to cancel the editors choice and loved it.  Survivor was, IMO, even better again.  Since then though, he's failed to hit the dizzying heights of his first 2 (well, first 2 successes at least).  That's not to say the other books are bad - quite the opposite in fact - but he did set the bar ridiculously high!  His recent works, while enjoyable, have been a bit hit-and-miss at times, with Snuff being the worst thing he's written, but, like i say, that doesn't mean its not worth tracking down - even at his worst, he's still better than most of his contemporaries.

Initial reviews seem to indicate that  his new book Pigmy (published next month Chuck Pals!) is a return to his early form - we can but hope!

Anyone else remember reports of a Survivor movie after the critical success of Fight Club?  Apparently the post-9/11 world wasn't ready for a movie about SPOILERS!! a suicidal cultist hijacking and crashing a 747END SPOILERS!!  so it was put on the back burner.  A couple of years ago it resurfaced again with rumours of scripts and directors, but seems to have dropped of the radar again.  Wonder if it will ever see the light of day?

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 6
RE: Chuck Palahniuk - 11/5/2009 3:57:30 PM   
Dantes Inferno

I don't think that's a spoiler, as it's how the book begins. I do see your point. I believe the movie is currently in development hell (or limbo at least). Here's some info on its current status.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 7
RE: Chuck Palahniuk - 11/5/2009 9:25:29 PM   
matthewforan

He has a new one out in june

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/9104197/Pygmy/Product.html

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

Post #: 8
RE: Chuck Palahniuk - 11/5/2009 9:47:12 PM   
richCie

i used to be a fan off his, blitzed through Fight Club (prefer the films ending) and Choke (hilarious, but ending was a bit odd) then read Rant which had its moments, Haunted which was nothing if not hit and miss, in particular the story that ties it all together is crap and never fulfills any of its potential and instead goes into a rather forced critique of fame, and then diary started pretty good (the whole hidden room thing was pretty funny) but i quickly gave up on it when it just went weird, and since then i've neglected to read any more of his, he always seems to go for weird outlandish and often overblown finales which never actually work.

in any case i've moved on to very different authors but i may try his new one if its as good as sharkboy suggests.

as an aside i did pick up (for free from work) Knockemstiff by Donald Ray Pollock ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Knockemstiff-Donald-Ray-Pollock/dp/1846551560/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242074579&sr=8-1 ) based on the recommendation from Chuck on the front cover and it is pretty damn good, a very uncomfortable and shocking read, but very good nonetheless, in fact its probably better at achieving what chuck tries to achieve - a portrait of the most twisted and unusual people in America.

Also i find chuck's non-fiction writing pretty compelling so any fans might want to give that a shot.

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 9
RE: Chuck Palahniuk - 12/5/2009 10:30:20 AM   
BigKovacs

I really liked Haunted, each story was very funny and well told but like Richie I thought the 'fame' story arc bridging them all was a bit flimsy and to be honest, a bit pointless. Still, it was an entertaining read if not Palahniuk's smartest work.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 10
RE: Chuck Palahniuk - 12/5/2009 11:00:31 AM   
velocityboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: matthewforan

Survivor is pretty great - very underrated in the Palahniuk oeuvre. I haven't read any of his stuff in ages - became a big fan after Fincher's version of Fight Club came out, even met the dude at a couple of signings (really nice guy IIRC), but he seems to have dropped off my radar a bit in the intervening years. Might give Lullaby a go sometime soon in that case.

Likewise, I got into him after fight club. All his books are good and very readable. Funny story: I met him at a talk and reading and he signed my copy of Fight Club. I'd actually been in a fight the week before (the only fight I've ever been in) and was missing a chunk of my front tooth, so he signed my book 'No more fight club Mick!'. He signed my friends 'You are a unique and beautiful snowflake'.

On another note, I'm in your signature! Thank you, I'm honoured. *small modest bow*

"I'm always one step ahead...like a carpenter, who makes stairs "

My eyes are open.

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 11
RE: Chuck Palahniuk - 12/5/2009 6:26:04 PM   
BlueBalls

I have read 5 of his novels, Survivor (my personal favourite), Choke, HauntedInvisible Monsters and Diary, and with the exception of Invisible Monsters, I have enjoyed what I have read. He has a wonderful imagination, his books always seem to focus on the darker elements of society and are filled with fantastically dark humour and haunting moments. He does seem to have a fetish for group therapy sessions, no idea why, maybe he finds them amusing, or maybe like in Fight Club he uses them as a form of release, because they do come up in more than one of his books. Which is fine; those moments always make for good scenes.

< Message edited by BlueBalls -- 23/10/2009 8:54:56 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation
I declare undying love to BlueBalls.

(in reply to velocityboy)
Post #: 12
RE: Chuck Palahniuk - 13/5/2009 2:40:02 PM   
tftrman

My personal favourite is Lullaby, followed closely by Survivor. Haven't read anything since Haunted as it felt like his writing was becoming a parody of itself. Although, it did contain a story that nearly made me pass out (not sure if I was just under the weather when I read it - anyway, the story was the one where he has a wank at the bottom of the pool).

(in reply to BlueBalls)
Post #: 13
RE: Chuck Palahniuk - 13/5/2009 2:57:44 PM   
Dantes Inferno

quote:

ORIGINAL: BlueBalls

He does seem to have a fetish for group therapy sessions, no idea why, maybe he finds them amusing, or maybe like in Fight Club he uses them as a form of release, because they do come up in more than one of his books or are alluded to in some way. Which is fine; those momentsalways make for good scenes.

He used to do some mini-job as help at such sessions, where he was neither a doctor (because of lack of medical training) or a volunteer (because of lack of life-threatening disease). He felt like a tourist and... well, the rest you know.

(in reply to BlueBalls)
Post #: 14
RE: Chuck Palahniuk - 13/5/2009 4:58:21 PM   
Olaf

I enjoy reading his books, but his style can be a bit repetitive. Survivor is an absolutely brilliant book though.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 15
RE: Chuck Palahniuk - 13/5/2009 5:27:14 PM   
Dantes Inferno

Christ, can the post office please hurry up with my books?

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 16
RE: Chuck Palahniuk - 17/5/2009 10:42:20 PM   
Dantes Inferno

Oh, goodie, Invisible Monsters arrived yesterday.

Post #: 17
RE: Chuck Palahniuk - 20/5/2009 11:10:27 PM   
scary_ice

I read Fight Club pretty soon after the movie and then read Survivor very soon after that and loved it too.  Since then I've read Diary and Choke which I thought were both ok but not great.  I think his style does get a bit repetitive so you're best not reading his books too soon after each other.  I've been thinking of going back to the older books I missed out like Lullaby and Invisible Monsters at some time.
I'm a bit worried about Haunted - the Guts story has become infamous for making people pass out at readings he was giving.  I picked it up in a shop in an airport once to see what the fuss was and within a couple of lines I was feeling woozy.  Now, admittedly I was well wrapped up and carrying a heavy bag on my back in a nice warm airport so that didn't help but still I am wussy when it comes to things like that so I won't be checking it out anytime soon.  I have seen a lot of reviews of it where people said they had to put it down for a while and go and get some fresh air before they finished it.

Post #: 18
RE: Chuck Palahniuk - 20/5/2009 11:31:48 PM   
Olaf

Ah, Guts. So, so wrong on so many levels. You can Google it to read it in full, but do so at your own risk... I felt physically unwell after reading it...

< Message edited by Olaf -- 20/5/2009 11:33:11 PM >

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to scary_ice)
Post #: 19
RE: Chuck Palahniuk - 20/5/2009 11:33:26 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

If you think Guts is bad, try reading the whole of Haunted. I read it in high school (free reading period, not part of the studies!) and was dry heaving so often people thought I was ill.

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 20
RE: Chuck Palahniuk - 20/5/2009 11:39:37 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Amelie_Scotland

If you think Guts is bad, try reading the whole of Haunted. I read it in high school (free reading period, not part of the studies!) and was dry heaving so often people thought I was ill.

No thanks. I think I got plenty of that from what I read...

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 21
RE: Chuck Palahniuk - 23/5/2009 1:26:19 PM   
Dantes Inferno

Seriously, it's that bad? I am intrigued. Don't take it the wrong way, I'm not sick, but I am interested in reading something that makes one feel so much (no spoilers either). There is one chapter in Invisible Monsters where the parents of the main character describe various sexual styles, which I happened to read while eating breakfast. "Oh, come on!", I almost uttered.

Halfway into Invisible Monsters I can see what you guys mean by repetetive style, though. He has a very idiosyncratic style, though I still find it refreshing to read his work.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 22
RE: Chuck Palahniuk - 25/5/2009 11:34:10 PM   
scary_ice

He does seem to like going into graphic descriptions of bodily functions doesn't he?  Like in Choke when he's talking about his mother's decaying body.  I also found the sex scenes in Choke a bit wince-inducing at times especially the stuff with the er... beads. 

Post #: 23
RE: Chuck Palahniuk - 1/6/2009 10:55:23 AM   
Dantes Inferno

Okay, I have finished Invisible Monsters. Was a bit dissapointed, as I didn't find there to be a real story, and although the Variety-style jumping was inspired, it became tiresome in the end. Maybe it takes more than Mr. Palahniuk to make the fashion world interesting to me.

I also finished Lullaby, which was better, although not as good as Survivor. It was a bit easier to read (his English is a bit advanced for someone like me), but at the same time, this detracted a bit from the experience, as it simultaniously felt like he was holding back on his (usually so crazy) style. Very good book, though.

I will still order some of his books for the coming 8 week vacation, though I am not sure which ones. I'm thinking about Haunted, as I really want to see what the fuss is about with Guts. And probably Choke too, as it seem similar in style to Survivor and Fight Club (the latter of which I would also consider buying even though I have already seen the film).

(in reply to scary_ice)
Post #: 24
RE: Chuck Palahniuk - 14/6/2009 3:10:21 PM   
jobloffski

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigKovacs

I really liked Haunted, each story was very funny and well told but like Richie I thought the 'fame' story arc bridging them all was a bit flimsy and to be honest, a bit pointless. Still, it was an entertaining read if not Palahniuk's smartest work.

Haunted was okay, though far from his best work. Really didn't enjoy the one where the guy's arse gets stuck on the outlet of the swimming pool, the suction takes hold and...

When I read that bit I imagined meeting CP and pointing to this bit of the book and saying Chuck dude, WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU??

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 25
RE: Chuck Palahniuk - 14/6/2009 3:42:01 PM   
Lazarus munkey

I've read 'Choke' & 'Haunted', the first of which was wonderfully off-kilter. Haunted has some great mini-stories in it but, as stated by a few others, the main story is weak and this is for no ther reason than character motivation. None of them convinvce.
Still worth reading, though.

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 26
RE: Chuck Palahniuk - 27/6/2009 3:00:15 PM   
dh_19

I've only read Choke and though the events of the book culminated into a funny finale, i found the first half the book pretty boring. Also, do many Americans refer to their penis as their 'dog'? I found that strangely irritating.

"I took a risk" - Larry David

(in reply to Lazarus munkey)
Post #: 27
RE: Chuck Palahniuk - 27/6/2009 4:48:35 PM   
superdan

I'm reading Rant at the moment, it's the first I've read of CP. Really enjoying it, but if all his novels are written in the same style I can see how it would become repetitive.

(in reply to dh_19)
Post #: 28
RE: Chuck Palahniuk - 28/7/2009 3:52:11 AM   
ilovebeerme

Reading Pygmy at the moment and it's not bad so far. It's difficult to get into due to the mental writing style (first person, broken English) but it has some very funny moments. It's not up to Fight Club or Survivor so far, but it's worth a look.

Like food and wine? Come join the conversation at http://kitchendecanted.com/

Latest post - Chicken with Thai basil and chili

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 29
RE: Chuck Palahniuk - 23/10/2009 2:45:24 PM   
Badgers

Fight Club is my favourite film but haven't read the book yet, is the book any different to the film. I've read Choke which I thought was entertaining but not a brilliant storyline. On the accounts of the other people in this thread I'll be ordering Survivor pretty soon, and by the sounds of it, Guts?

Stuntcock!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kilo_T_Mortal

Just let me know where and when.

(in reply to ilovebeerme)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Chuck Palahniuk Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI